This page is designed to be used as a walking tour of Downtown Fort Worth. If you need more detailed information or you want to see photographs of the buildings, follow the link to the individual listings. The numbers of the buildings correspond to the numbers on the Map of Downtown Fort Worth.
Key to building designations:
1. 500 W. 7th - 1962. This building, designed by Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill of New York is modeled after the Lever House. It is an excellent example of Modern Architecture and has held up well over time. Modern sculptures are located in the plaza facing 7th Street.
2. STS TOWER - 515 Houston - 1925. This building was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson of Fort Worth. The eight story building features a limestone shaft with an elaborate terra cotta cornice.
3. HUNT-HAWES/ALARM SUPPLY - 508 E. 7th - 1910. This is a 5 story warehouse building that will has a commuter rail tunnel constructed through the lower floors.
4. ALLEN CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH - 116 Elm - 1912. (NR, RTHL) This Gothic Revival church features a single bell tower on the southeast corner of the building. Entry is achieved through two vestibules at each corner of the building.
5. NEIL P. ANDERSON BUILDING - 411 W. 7th - 1921. (NR, RTHL) The building, designed by Sanguinet & Staats, was named after Neil P. Anderson who was in the cotton industry. The 11th floor, a penthouse, features 7 skylights facing true north. This floor was originally used as a cotton exchange showroom. Like many of Sanguinet & Staats' buildings, the corner is a highlighted element. In this case, the northwest corner of the building is rounded.
6. ASHTON HOTEL - 106 W. 6th - 1915. This building was originally built as the home of the Fort Worth Club. In 1937, the ground floor was remodeled with an art deco facade. Currently, the structure is being converted into a luxury hotel.
7. THE ATELIER BUILDING - 209 W. 8th - c.1905; restored 1980 (RTHL) The term "atelier" refers to an artist's or designer's studio. The Atelier Building appears to be more of a residential type of building placed in a commercial district. Its notable features include a hipped roof and two square chimneys in the front of the building.
8. BAKER BUILDING - 711 Houston - 1910, addition 1926, remodeled 1967. Sanguinet & Staats designed the original building and Wyatt C. Hedrick designed the addition that doubled its size. This building is 11 stories and is one of Fort Worth's early skyscrapers. It was originally designed for the First National Bank of Fort Worth and featured a colonnade entrance on Houston Street. The building is a classical Beaux Arts design; however, in 1967 the entire base of the building was removed and precast concrete panels were installed. The original banking hall was also destroyed at this time.
9. BLOCK 82 TOWER - 500 Throckmorton - 1974. This building was designed by John Portman from Atlanta. It is 454 feet tall and 37 stories. This skyscraper was heavily damaged in the March 28, 2000 tornado and is scheduled to be torn down by implosion. It will be the 5th Tallest Building Ever Demolished.
10. BARBER'S BOOKSTORE - 215 W. 8th - c.1910; remodeled c.1935. This building was originally constructed around 1910, but was remodeled in the 1930's with an Art Deco facade. Over the years, the building has housed a cafe, a hotel, and most notably, the namesake bookstore, and now an antique shop.
11. NANCY LEE & PERRY R. BASS PERFORMANCE HALL - On block bounded by 4th, Calhoun, 5th, & Commerce Streets - 1998. Billed as "the last great hall built in the 20th century", This performance hall was designed by David M. Schwarz of Washington, D.C. The architect of record is HKS Architects of Dallas. One of the unique architectural features are the 48 foot high limestone angels on the front of the building.
12. BLACKSTONE HOTEL - 601 Main - 1929. (NR, CFW) The building, designed by Mauran, Russell, & Crowell of St. Louis is one of Fort Worth's great hotels from the boom years of the 1920's. With 23 stories, its unique stepped and spired top is a prominent part of the skyline, rising 268 feet. It is the only true "New York" style skyscraper in Fort Worth with several setbacks. The hotel is now a Courtyard Hotel by Marriott. Huitt-Zollars of Fort Worth is the architectural/engineering firm that was in charge of the restoration.
13. THE BRIDAL BUILDING - 300 Main Street - 1981. This is the only "new" building constructed as a part of the original two blocks of restored buildings in Sundance Square. The two story structure is constructed of antique brick that blends with the surrounding buildings.
14. BRYCE BUILDING - 909 Throckmorton - 1910. (NR, RTHL) This small two story building housed the offices of William J. Bryce, former Mayor of Fort Worth and developer of the Arlington Heights Subdivision. The building is now home to law offices.
15. BURK BURNETT BUILDING - 500 Main - 1914. (NR) Located in Sundance Square, the building was designed by Sanguinet & Staats and was the city's first true skyscraper. The building is neoclassical in design and it was originally built as the home of the State National Bank. The base of the building is white terra cotta with granite columns on the Main Street facade. The middle of the building is red brick with a terra cotta band string course separating each floor. The top of the building is again white terra cotta with an elaborate cornice.
16. BURNETT PLAZA - 801 Cherry St. - 1983. This 40 story, 1,000,000 square foot building is the tallest in Fort Worth at 558 feet. It was designed by Sikes, Jennings, & Kelly of Houston, Texas. The building features an elevator core that is expressed on the exterior of the building on the west side.
17. REATA AT SUNDANCE SQUARE - 312 Houston - 1884 & 1887; renovation 1983; addition 1991. This facility is a new building behind the original facades of two 1880's buildings. Since 1983, the Caravan of Dreams was been one of the city's top jazz and music venues, but it closed in 2001 and was replaced by the new home of Reata. A small addition was made along 3rd Street as a part of the Sundance West project. The building features a rooftop grotto bar with excellent views of Sundance Square.
18. CENTRAL FIRE STATION NO. 2 - 1000 Cherry Street - 1930 Herman Paul Koeppe of Wyatt C. Hedrick's office designed this facility which is actually two separate buildings. The larger building is the station itself, and the smaller building is a Fire Alarm Signal Station. These buildings are good examples of the Zigzag Moderne Style of the Art Deco era. One notable feature of the building is a 70 foot high siren tower located to the rear of the Fire Station. As with many Zigzag Moderne buildings, the fire station uses ornate brick work to carry out the design.
19. CITY CENTER - a. CHASE TEXAS TOWER (Tower I) - 201 Main - 1982; b. CITY CENTER TOWER II - 301 Commerce - 1984. These two towers were designed by Paul Rudolph of New York City who passed away in September 1997 at the age of 78. The buildings are home to many of Fort Worth's Premier corporations. Tower I is 33 stories (475 feet) and Tower II is 38 stories (546 feet). City Center has two parking garages that also serve Sundance Square with free parking on the evenings and weekends.
20. CITY NATIONAL BANK BUILDING - 315 Houston - c.1884-85; addition - c. 1910; restoration - 1981. This building was designed by Haggard and Sanguinet and is one of Fort Worth's oldest commercial facades still intact. (The interior of the building was rebuilt in 1981 as a part of the original Sundance Square development.) Originally, the Second Empire style building was was only 25 feet wide, and extended to the alley. About 1910, the building was doubled in width to the north and was extended across the alley.
21. COMMERCE BUILDING - 307 W. 7th - 1930; base remodeled 1964. Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick originally designed this building for The Fair department store which closed in 1963. The 19 story building is a mixture of Art Deco and Gothic Designs. In the 1964, the base was remodeled.
22. CONN BUILDING - 310 Main - c.1906; restored - 1981. The four original walls surround a new structure built inside. This was one of the first buildings restored in the Sundance Square project. This simple two story building features arched windows on the second floor and an eagle perched on the parapet.
23. DOMINO BUILDING - 311 Main - 1885; reconstructed in 1981. This building is a replica of the original Domino Building. It is a part of the Sundance Square development.
24. EDDLEMAN-McFARLAND HOUSE - 1110 Penn Street - 1899 (NR, RTHL, CFW) This home was built in 1899 on the high bluff overlooking the Trinity River. It was part of a neighborhood known as Quality Hill which featured large Victorian homes, owned mainly by Fort Worth's Cattle Baron Families.
25. ELECTRIC BUILDING - 410 W. 7th - 1929. (NR) This building was designed by Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick for the Texas Electric Service Company. One of the unique features of the building is in the cast stone ornamentation. The decorative elements feature a hand grasping electrical bolts. In 1996, the building was converted to 106 apartments, and the original lobby of the electric company has been restored. This lobby features a beautiful vaulted ceiling.
26. ELECTRIC SERVICE BUILDING - 115 W. 7th - 1952. This 16 story office building was originally constructed for the Fort Worth National Bank.
27. EXECUTIVE PLAZA - 611 Throckmorton - 1927; remodeled - 1969. This 14 story building was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and features some Art Deco elements. The base of the building was altered and the parapet ornamentation was removed in 1969.
28. FAKES BUILDING - 406-408 Houston - 1929. The architect for this building is unknown, but the building has been incorporated into the Sanger Lofts Project. Currently the building has retail on the ground floor and loft apartments on the upper two floors.
29. FIRE STATION NO. 1 - 215 Commerce - 1907; restored - 1982. This building was designed by Sanguinet & Staats. This fire station served Downtown until 1980, when restoration began. The building has wonderful brick work on its facade. The building is now a part of the City Center Development and houses a restaurant and a museum.
30. FIRESTONE APARTMENTS - West of Henderson on 7th, 10th, & 5th Streets - 1999. This is a large apartment development situated on the west end of Downtown where many of the city's automobile dealerships were located in the 1920's. These buildings were demolished for the 350 unit project The apartments are similar to a brownstone design, with the buildings very close to the streets. The centerpiece of the project is the Firestone Service Store, which was not demolished, and will be restored and utilized as a community center for the apartment development.
31. FIRESTONE SERVICE STORE - 1001 W. 7th - 1930; restored 1999. This building, one of the few remaining in Automobile Row along W. 7th Street, is being restored and integrated into the Firestone Apartment project. The building has most of its original features intact except for white paint that has covered the polychrome brick and cast stone trim.
32. FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH - 612 Throckmorton - 1914. (NR) This building was designed by architects Van Slyke and Woodruff. The building is constructed from limestone and is a Greek Cross in plan with a copper clad dome at the crossing.
33. FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - 800 W. 5th - 1930.This Gothic Revival church was designed by Fort Worth Architect Wiley G. Clarkson. Over the years, major additions have been made to the original church building.
34. FLATIRON BUILDING - 1000 Houston - 1907. (NR, RTHL) This structure, one of the signature buildings of Fort Worth, was designed by Sanguinet & Staats. It was modeled after the Flatiron Building in New York (1902). Our Flatiron Building was one of the first steel framed office buildings in Fort Worth and was one of the tallest commercial buildings in North Texas in the early 1900's. Currently, the building is vacant with restoration in progress.
35. FORT WORTH CLUB - 306 W. 7th - 1926. This building was designed by the local architectural firm of Sanguinet, Staats, & Hedrick. The building is unique in that it has a rectangular 2 story base (now remodeled) with a 4 story transitional section above, then becomes U-shaped above the 6th floor. The overall height of the building is 13 stories. The Fort Worth Club occupies the upper floors.
36. FORT WORTH CONVENTION CENTER - 9th & Main - 1968; addition 1983. Designed by a consortium of Fort Worth Architects, the convention center serves as a terminus to the south end of Main Street. This facility was an urban renewal project in the late 1960's which demolished a good portion of Hell's Half Acre. Many of the old buildings in that part of Downtown were similar in age and style to those in Sundance Square.
37. FORT WORTH MUNICIPAL BUILDING - SW corner of 10th & Jennings - 1975. This building was designed by Edward Durell Stone from New York City. The building houses the offices of the City of Fort Worth.
38. NOT USED
39. FORT WORTH PUBLIC LIBRARY - 1978, remodeled in 1994. This building was originally designed as an underground library by FSB/Texas. The library also had a problem with roof leaks. Lamar Street once ran over the library. To solve the leaks, a two-story addition was made to the library. David M. Schwarz designed the new facade.
40. FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM - 400 W. 7th - 1920; additions 1940, 1948, & 1970. This is another downtown landmark (original building) designed by Sanguinet & Staats. Originally, the back wall was irregular shaped. The 1940 addition squared off the rear of the building and the 1948 addition doubled the size of it. The 1970 expansion featured a new building across 6th Street that also spanned over it. One impressive feature of the building is the terra cotta frieze above the 4th floor windows.
41. FORT WORTH WATER GARDENS - Between Houston & Commerce at Lancaster Ave. - 1974. This park was designed by Phillip Johnson from New York. The water park is an oasis in the concrete jungle of the center of town. The park features three pools of water: the aerating pool, the quiet pool, and the active pool with water tumbling down a series of terraces down to a small pit.
42. FOURTH ST. METHODIST CHURCH VESTRY - E. 4th & Jones - 1887. The structure as it stands today is the ruins of a church that was a forerunner to the First United Methodist Church. The portion that still stands was the church's vestry with the main sanctuary sitting to the west. The south wall of the church also stands as a portion of the exterior of the Press Building.
43. GAINSCO BUILDING - SW corner of 4th & Commerce - 1924; addition - 1935; adaptive re-use - 1990. The garage was constructed as a 3 story concrete building in 1924. Three additional stories were added in 1935. The garage served as parking for the Blackstone Hotel. In 1990 the building's facade was significantly altered when the structure became the headquarters of Gainsco Insurance. A gabled 7th floor was added at that time. Architects for the adaptive re-use were Cauble-Hoskins.
44. GREATER ST. JAMES BAPTIST CHURCH - 210 Harding - 1913-18 (RTHL). This church is sitting on a raised base and consists of the main church building connected to an education building. Both structures have buff brick and cast stone trim. Each facade is framed by slightly projecting, low, square entry towers. Between these towers is a gabled roof. All of the windows on the front facade are of stained glass.
45. HILLSIDE APARTMENTS - 300 Crump - 1997. This apartment community is located on the east side of Downtown in the old Hillside Neighborhood.
46. HOUSTON PLACE LOFTS - 910 Houston Street - 1906, two story addition - 1918, remodeled 1952, restoration 1981. The building was converted to loft apartments in 1996. The building and its two story addition were designed by Fort Worth Architects Sanguinet & Staats. It was one of the first concrete skyscrapers built in Fort Worth. There are 40 loft apartments within the structure.
47. JARVIS BUILDING - 506 Main - c.1884; bad remodel - 1968. This is one of the oldest commercial buildings still standing in downtown, and the only commercial stone building that I know of still in existence. Although altered in 1968 by a stucco patch over 1/2 of the facade, this building is an excellent example of Italianate commercial architecture present in Fort Worth in the 1880's. At some point in time, the red sandstone building was painted white.
48. JETT BUILDING - 400 Main - c.1902. The most notable feature of this Sundance Square building is the Chisolm Trail Mural painted by Richard Haas on its south side. The mural attracts many tourists into Downtown Fort Worth. The Jett Building was once home of the Northern Texas Traction Co. which operated the Interurban Railway with service to Dallas and Cleburne.
49. KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS CASTLE HALL - 315 Main - 1901; restored - 1981. (NR, RTHL) This replica of a medieval civic building is one of the architectural jewels of Sundance Square. It was designed by Sanguinet & Staats and built by William Bryce. The first Knights of Pythias Castle Hall ever built was constructed on this site in 1881, and it burned in 1901. Later that year, the building was rebuilt from the ruins and the design was altered somewhat by the addition of the gabled roof and the turret on the corner. The building was also the site of the first offset printing press. In 1981, when the building was restored, a replica of the original knight (cast in 1882) was placed on the building.
50. KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS CLUB BUILDING - 108 E. 3rd - 1920. This is an addition to the Knights of Pythias Castle Hall which served as additional space for the organization. It was designed by J.J. Pollard and matches the original building in design.
51. KRESS BUILDING - 604 Main - 1936. (CFW) This Art Deco commercial structure was designed by Edward F. Sibbert from New York, who was the architect on many of the Kress Co. stores. The building actually has two entrances, one on Main Street and the other on Houston Street.
52. LAND TITLE BLOCK - 111 E. 4th - 1889. (RTHL) This is one of the best Victorian commercial buildings in Downtown. It also has shades of the Romanesque Revival style. The building is red brick with red sandstone trim, original stained glass windows, and original multi-colored glazed brick. It was designed by Haggard and Sanguinet of Fort Worth.
53. LANDMARK TOWER - NW corner of 7th & Houston - 1957. This 30 story building was designed by Preston M. Geren & Associates in Fort Worth. When this former bank facility opened, it was the tallest building in Fort Worth and it was the first building to use an aluminum curtain wall. Its great height was crowned by a four-sided, 30 foot tall revolving digital clock. The clock was removed in April 2000. The skyscraper is being converted into apartments. According to plans, the building will be crowned with a pyramidal top, complete with balconies and a new digital time and temperature sign will be installed on top of the building. In addition to the renovation, an 8-story parking garage and retail building will be constructed on the remainder of the block.
54. FRITZ G. LANHAM FEDERAL BUILDING - 819 Taylor - 1965.
55. LONE STAR GAS - 908 Monroe - 1929, 1957. This former gas company headquarters was originally designed by Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick in 1929 as a four story building. Three floors were added to the top of the building in 1957 and they were also designed by Hedrick. The building features Art Deco Styling and has a beautiful lobby that has been recently restored.
56. MADDOX-MUSE CENTER - 308 E. 4th - 1913, 1926, 1997, 1999.
57. MASONIC TEMPLE - 1100 Henderson - 1931 (RTHL) This masonic temple, designed by Wiley G. Clarkson sits on a dominant hillside on the southwest end of Downtown Fort Worth. Although the temple is of the Classical Moderne Phase of the Art Deco era, it shows elements of other architectural styles. The building shape itself is a ziggurat form with the top of the ziggurat becoming a greek temple with a flat roof. The columns on this upper portion of the temple are of the ionic order, yet the plan of the building is in the Beaux Arts style. The exterior material is Indiana Limestone.
58. MORRIS BUILDING - 308 Main - c.1906; restored - 1981. Site of the original location of the White Elephant Saloon. This is a new building constructed within the original walls of the structure. The Mission Revival Styled building features a parapet in red brick and cast stone that resembles the Alamo. The Morris Building is a part of the Sundance Square development.
59. MT. GILEAD BAPTIST CHURCH - 600 Grove - 1912. Designed by Sanguinet & Staats, this church is Fort Worth's oldest Baptist African-American congregation. The building is Neo-Classical in styling with a pedimented entrance. Over the years, the building has been altered somewhat, but still features red brick and some of the stained glass windows.
60. NASH HARDWARE CO. - 401 E. 8th - 1910. This four story building was constructed in 1910 to house the Nash Hardware Company which operated a business at this location until 1967. The building features a recessed course of brick at the base that makes it look as if constructed out of rusticated stone.
61. PALACE THEATER BLOCK - block bounded by 3rd, Calhoun, 4th, & Commerce - 1996. This mixed-use facility is one of the new buildings constructed in Sundance Square recently. The Design Architect is David M. Schwarz and the Architect of Record is HKS of Dallas. Each tenant of the building has a separate facade, although a retro Art Deco style is present throughout the building. One of the interesting features of the building is the red brick & turret on the southwest corner of the building.
62. PLAZA HOTEL - 301 Main - 1908; restored - 1981. This three story hotel was built by Winfield Scott, a prominent Fort Worth rancher and businessman. It is also one of the more unique buildings in Sundance Square featuring white glazed brick with green and yellow terra cotta trim. The building is now used for restaurants on the ground floor and offices above.
63. POLLOCK-CAPPS HOUSE - 1120 Penn - 1899 (NR, RTHL, CFW). This home is next door to the Eddleman-McFarland House and is one of the few homes still standing in Quality Hill. The styling on the house is Queen Anne Victorian and may have been designed by Howard Messer. The house is constructed out of red brick and limestone with a slate roof. The home features an octagonal tower on the northeast corner and is situated on the bluff overlooking the Trinity River.
64. PUBLIC SAFETY AND COURTS BUILDING - 1000 Throckmorton - 1938. This Classical Moderne Building was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and was built as a part of the Works Progress Administration. It served as Fort Worth's City Hall from 1938 until 1978. The Moderne style was a part of the Art Deco Movement.
65. RADISSON PLAZA HOTEL - 815 Main - 1921; ballroom addition - 1961; restored - 1981. (NR, RTHL) Sanguinet & Staats designed this hotel. They recruited some help from Mauran, Russell, & Crowell from St. Louis. The hotel was originally known as the Hotel Texas and is not only architecturally significant, but also historically significant. President John F. Kennedy spent his last night in the hotel before he was assassinated in Dallas the next day. The 13 story building is classical in style. The hotel was restored by architects Jarvis, Putty, Jarvis in 1981.
66. RED GOOSE SHOES - 306 Houston - c.1903. This is a wonderful example of early 20th century architecture in Fort Worth. The original interior is intact.
67. RENAISSANCE WORTHINGTON HOTEL - 200 Main Street - 1981. This hotel, designed by 3D International from Houston, Texas, features one of the more unique building forms in the city. The building is 13 stories and occupies three city blocks with the tower of the building spanning over Houston Street. In order to relate to the historic buildings in Sundance Square along Main Streeet, the concrete building has an eastern wall that slopes down to 3 stories along Main Street. This sloping of the wall also allows for preserved views of the Tarrant County Courthouse and balconies for the hotel rooms. The hotel has two lobbies, one for the hotel proper and the other for the ballrooms, meeting rooms, and convention facilities.
68. THE RESERVE ON THE UPPER WEST SIDE - Henderson & Texas - 1999. This is another of the many apartment complexes that have opened in Downtown in recent years. These units feature an interior parking garage that is surrounded by the apartments. This apartment building is very residential in character and is 4 stories tall.
69. SID RICHARDSON COLLECTION OF WESTERN ART - 309 Main - c.1885; reconstructed 1981. This building is a replica of the original 1885 building that part of the original two blocks of Sundance Square. The cast iron columns in the front of the building are from the 1885 structure. The Museum contains paintings by Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell.
70. ST. ANDREW'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH - 901 Lamar - 1909-12. This Gothic Revival church was another of the many Fort Worth buildings designed by Sanguinet & Staats. It is a beautiful church with many stained glass windows.
71. ST. IGNATIUS ACADEMY - 1206 Throckmorton - 1888-89. (NR, RTHL) This building is one of the more unique buildings in Downtown. Although, it complements the neighboring St. Patrick Cathedral, this building is of the French Second Empire style. It is also similar to the City National Bank Building in Sundance Square with its mansard roof; however, St. Ignatius has a cupola tower in the center of its cross-shaped plan.
72. ST. PATRICK CATHEDRAL - 1206 Throckmorton - 1888-92. (NR, RTHL) This is the oldest continuously used church building in Fort Worth. It was designed by Fort Worth Architect James J. Kane out of native limestone. This Gothic Revival church has twin towers which were designed to be the base of spires that were never built. Soon, the building will be totally restored, and by the year 2001, the spires will be added.
73. SANGER BUILDING - 410 Houston - 1929; remodeled - 1943, restored - 1986, 1993. (NR) Wyatt C. Hedrick was the architect for this 5 story concrete faced with stone building. When this structure opened for Sanger Brothers Department Store in 1929, it had some of the most modern retailing innovations. It was the first building in Fort Worth to be air-conditioned. In 1993, the upper floors of the building were converted to 59 loft apartments with retail on the ground floor. The Sanger Lofts tie into the Fakes Building next door. The Sanger Loft project was designed by David M. Schwarz.
74. SANTA FE FREIGHT STATION - 1401 Jones - 1938. Constructed as one of the improvements to the Fort Worth Union Depot, this depot housed inbound and outbound freight, cold storage, and offices. This building's design is utilitarian; however, it does feature decorative brick work, a stepped cast stone parapet, and a large neon Santa Fe sign on the north end of the building.
75. SHAMROCK BUILDING - 515 Main - c.1900. This building was constructed around 1900, but the exact date is unknown. This is also another good example of how not to remodel a Victorian building. At some point in time, a layer of stucco was applied to the red brick and cast stone facade.
76. SHELTON BUILDING - 901 Houston - 1900, 1910, 1937. (RTHL) The original architect for this building is unknown. Throughout its history, the building has been used for retail purposes. In 1910, John Shelton purchased the two story building and added a third floor. In 1937, the building was remodeled by Wiley G. Clarkson. This remodel gave the building an Art Deco styling.
77. SINCLAIR BUILDING - 512 Main - 1930; restored - 1990. (NR, RTHL, CFW) This building, designed by Wiley G. Clarkson, is one of Fort Worth's finest examples of Art Deco architecture. The building is more specifically of Zigzag Moderne styling and features many ziggurat elements on doorways, windows, and even in the shape of the building. The lobby is an excellent example from this period. In 1990, the building was completely restored by Architect Ward Bogard. The upper floors of the 16 story building are illuminated at night. A stop in the lobby is well worth your time.
78. SOUTHWESTERN BELL TELEPHONE BUILDING - 1116 Houston - c.1899, c.1920, 1958, 1965, 1971. This has been the home of the telephone company for over 100 years and all of the buildings have been added on, on top of, and covered up over the years.
79. STOREFRONTS - 301 - 311 Houston - reconstructed 1981. The original buildings that were on this site date back to the turn of the century. During the restoration of Sundance Square in 1981, so little of these buildings were determined to be salvageable that only the rear walls facing the alley and the cast iron columns were saved. Most of these storefronts had at least two facades placed over the original brick. Two of the buildings had been damaged so much that it was even difficult to tell how they originally appeared. Those two buildings have murals painted on them by Richard Haas.
80. SUNDANCE WEST - 333 Throckmorton - 1991 This mixed use structure was the first apartment building built in Downtown Fort Worth during its renaissance. It was designed by David M. Schwarz of Washington, D.C. and it wraps around Reata at Sundance Square. The 12 story building with 59 apartments has four distinct facades. On Throckmorton Street, the building is at its full height and is red brick with white cast stone trim and a green metal roof. On Houston Street, two and three story turn of the century facades have been replicated. The 2nd & 3rd Street facades give the impression that there are four separate buildings facing each of those streets. Each portion of that facade steps down to make the transition from the 12 story apartment block to the 2 or 3 story pedestrian scale of Houston Street. On the ground floor of the building are shops and restaurants and a movie theater entrance. Floors 2 through 5 actually house the AMC Sundance 11 Theater. The apartments begin on the sixth floor. The theater was the first constructed in Downtown in over 50 years.
81. TANDY CENTER - Throckmorton St. between Weatherford & 3rd - Tower I, 1976; Tower II, 1978. This mixed use facility designed by Growald Associates, Architects of Fort Worth, featured twin 20 story towers, an indoor shopping mall, and an indoor ice skating rink. The office buildings were constructed as the corporate headquarters of the Tandy Corporation. It was built on the site of the old Leonard's Department Store; however, Leonard's private subway leading from acres of parking on the Trinity River was integrated into the project.
82. TANDY TECHNOLOGY CENTER - 1992. This addition to the Tandy Center was designed by HKS Architects of Dallas.
83. TARRANT COUNTY CORRECTIONS CENTER - 101 N. Lamar - 1990. This post modern jail facility uses buff brick and cast stone trim to relate to the surrounding buildings on the north end of Downtown. The building was designed by HOK Architects of Dallas and FSB/Texas The building features 4 jail pods, located in each corner of the building. In between the pods on the east and west sides of the building are outdoor recreation areas. A decorative security screen runs up the entire facade of the building in front of the outdoor recreation areas.
84. TARRANT COUNTY COURTHOUSE - 100 E Weatherford - 1895; many remodels; restored - 1983. (NR, RTHL) This is one of architectural masterpieces of our city. It serves as the terminus of Main Street and it sits high on the bluff of the Trinity River. It was designed by Gunn and Curtiss Architects of Kansas City and it is a striking example of American Beaux Arts Design. It was modeled after the Texas Capitol Building in Austin and uses pink granite. It was one of the first structural steel framed buildings built in the Southwestern United States. The courthouse is just a little shy of 200 feet in height. The architect that restored the building in 1983 was Ward Bogard.
85. TARRANT COUNTY JUSTICE CENTER - 401 W. Belknap - 1990. This post modern courts facility uses the same buff brick and cast stone elements as the Tarrant County Corrections Center across Lamar Street except that green metal was used on this building as an accent. The metal relates to the weathered copper roofs on the Tarrant County Courthouse. The floor plate of the court floors required the building utilize the air rights over the sidewalk; therefore, the floors cantilever above the second floor. Another feature of note on this building is the pyramidal roof screen and spire in the center of the building. The architect for this court building was FRS Design Group.
86. TEXAS AND PACIFIC RAILWAY TERMINAL - W. Lancaster & Throckmorton - 1931. (NR, RTHL) Wyatt C. Hedrick, with Herman C. Koeppe as designer planned this monumental railroad complex on the south end of Downtown. The complex consisted of three functions, a railroad passenger terminal, an office building, and a separate warehouse facility. The entire complex was designed in the Zigzag Moderne Style of Art Deco. The office building is in my opinion, the best example of Art Deco Architecture present in Fort Worth. The exterior features an eagle in a zigzag motif over the main entry. Even though the exterior is very elaborate, the interior passenger lobby and office building lobbies are even more spectacular. The passenger lobby is vacant has been restored.
87. TEXAS AND PACIFIC WAREHOUSE - SW corner of W. Lancaster & Jennings - 1931. Wyatt C. Hedrick and Herman P. Koeppe scaled back the ornamentation from the T & P Railway Terminal, and then utilized the simplified design for this 8 story warehouse building. However, even with less ornamentation, this building is still a great example of the Zigzag Moderne Style. The warehouse offered space for the storage, distribution, and refrigeration of produce and merchandise. Office and salesrooms were also available within the structure. This warehouse, 611 feet long by 100 feet wide, is mostly vacant. Its only tenant is a paintball facility. Several restoration projects have been explored over the years, but all have failed.
88. THOMPSON'S BOOKSTORE - 900 Houston - 1910. This 3 story building is a good example of commercial architecture present in Fort Worth during the early 1900's. The third floor features arched windows and decorative brick work. The upper floors once housed a hotel and the interiors are still intact. The building is currently being restored.
89. MONTGOMERY WARD/TINDALL STORAGE BUILDING - 801 Grove - c.1911. This 5 story building was constructed to house Montgomery Ward & Company's mail order and catalog operations. Tindall Record Storage now occupies the building. With the construction of the Intermodal Transportation Facility just a few blocks away, this warehouse will remain and could become the cornerstone of new development around the transportation hub.
90. TRANSPORT LIFE BUILDING - 714 Main - 1920-21. This 24 story building was designed by Sanguinet & Staats with Mauran, Russell, and Crowell as Associate Architects. The building, featured 4 story arched windows on its base and arched windows on the 24th floor. In the early 1960's, the terra cotta and granite base of the building was removed and replaced by blue Mexican tile and a glass curtain wall. The original bank interior was removed to accommodate retail uses. In 1988, the building sold and the new owners hired Omniplan Architects of Dallas to design a new base to the building that gave the feel of the original.
91. UNION DEPOT - 1501 Jones St. - 1900 (NR, RTHL) This Beaux Arts styled train depot features red and white stone banding and decorative brickwork. The architect for this building is unknown. The building has served many of the railroads that have passed through Fort Worth, most notably, the Santa Fe. Today, the Union Depot serves as the city's Amtrak Station, but is in dire need of restoration. Recently, developer Shirlee Gandy purchased this building and the adjacent Santa Fe Freight Station. The plans are to restore this grand passenger depot and the Santa Fe building next door.
92. CARTER+BURGESS PLAZA (formerly UPR Plaza & Continental Plaza) - 777 Main - 1982. This 40 story building (525 feet) was designed by the Dallas Architectural firm of Jarvis, Putty, Jarvis. The Jarvis Brothers were from a prominent early Fort Worth family. See Jarvis Building. The skyscraper has 1,000,000 square feet of office space.
93. U.S. COURTHOUSE - 501 W. 10th - 1933. This Moderne styled Art Deco courthouse was designed by Paul Philippe Cret in association with Wiley G. Clarkson. The exterior has wonderful examples of geometric elements and ziggurat shapes. The interior has been altered somewhat over the years and some of the Moderne detailing has been removed. However, some of the courtrooms have been restored.
94. U.S. POST OFFICE - 251 W. Lancaster. - 1933. (NR, RTHL) This monumental civic building was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and features good architecture with icons of the city. The Texas Limestone structure is a mix of Beaux Arts and Classical styling. The classical columns capitals on the building feature Texas Longhorn and Polled Hereford cattle. The cornice is ornamented with lion heads. The most dramatic space within the Post Office is the lobby, which runs the entire length of the building.
95. W.T. WAGGONER BUILDING - 810 Houston - 1919-20; restored 1985. (NR) When it was constructed, this building was the tallest in the State of Texas and the Southwest. The 20 story structure was designed by Sanguinet & Staats and it looks as if it were modeled after the famed Equitable Building in New York City (1912-15). The Classical Building features a 2 story marble base, white brick middle, and a 2 story white brick and terra cotta top. This building is U-shaped on the upper floors and was one of the few in Fort Worth to orient the light well toward the front of the building and make it a design feature. An arch spans the light well between the 18th and 19th floors. The extremely ornate entrance lobby, vaulted elevator hall and vaulted banking hall with a mezzanine have been restored. Cauble-Hoskins Architects carried out the restoration work. This is one of the few early skyscrapers with its original banking lobby intact. When it was constructed the building also had Otis Elevators and an artesian well for drinking water.
96. WATER GARDENS PLACE - 100 E. 15th Street - 1925; remodeled 1983. Water Gardens Place was constructed in 1925 for the Monnig Dry Goods Co. The Monnig family hired Sanguinet, Staats, and Hedrick to design this building for them. The building housed Monnig's Wholesale operation until 1982. In 1983, it was remodeled into an office building. All of the brick on the north and south walls was removed and new brick, complete with a new window pattern was installed on the north and south facades. The east and west facades that faced Commerce and Main Streets respectively were clad in buff brick. The brick was painted red to match the new north and south walls. The only part of the original building that remains is the cast stone trim along the roof line and the stone base along Main Street.
97. WEBER BUILDING - 302 Main Street - c.1885; remodeled 1915; restored 1981. This building was one of the first structures rehabilitated in the Sundance Square development. An interesting thing happened to this structure during the course of time. During a remodeling project around 1915, the cast iron columns were removed from the ground floor of this building and placed on the Bridal Building next door to the north. In 1981, the Bass Brothers restored the facade of the 2 story building, constructed a new building inside, and installed the columns in their original location.
98. WELLS FARGO BUILDING - 505 Main Street - 1996. This is a new 5 story building constructed in Sundance Square. It was designed by David M. Schwarz with HKS as Associate Architects. This building gives Fort Worth a feel of San Francisco with five bay windows, a ground floor courtyard, a second floor balcony with trellis, and a fifth floor balcony.
99. WESTERN UNION BUILDING - 314 Main - 1930-31. This excellent example of commercial Art Deco architecture features a zigzag motif in its terra cotta and brick detailing and in its parapet. The building was designed by Fort Worth architect and engineer, James B. Davies, Sr. This building was in excellent condition when the Bass Family incorporated it into the original two blocks of Sundance Square.
100. WINFIELD PLACE - SW corner of Calhoun & 8th - 1919; addition - 1938. This building was originally designed as a parking garage for the Texas Hotel by Sanguinet & Staats. In the early 1980's the structure was converted to an office building by the Fort Worth Architectural Firm of Jackson & Ayers.
101. WINFREE BUILDING - 608 Main - 1890, remodeled - 1974. For over 95 years this structure was owned by General Winfield Scott and his heirs. This vacant building was remodeled around 1974 when a storefront and stucco facade on the second floor that matched renovations to the adjacent Floyd J. Holmes Building was added. A local developer recently purchased both buildings and has plans to restore them. The Winfree Building will be converted into a restaurant, and that will help extend the entertainment district southward along Main Street.
102. WOOLWORTH BUILDING - 501 Houston - 1926. (NR) This three story concrete and limestone commercial structure was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson and served as the F.W. Woolworth's downtown store from 1926 until 1990. The building features an elaborately carved frieze beneath the cornice. The building is now a part of the Sundance Square development.
103. Y.M.C.A. - 512 Lamar - 1924-25 and various additions in 1968, 1981, & 1985. This is another downtown building designed by Wiley G. Clarkson and built by Harry Friedman. This is a classical building with a limestone and marble base and a red brick mid section. The top features a heavy cornice. The additions from the 1980's were designed by Hahnfeld Associates of Fort Worth. The 1985 addition added significantly to the facility with a new swimming pool, basketball court, and racquetball courts.
104. Y.W.C.A. - 512 W. 4th - 1928. (NR, RTHL) This brick building, designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick was originally built as an Elk's Lodge.
105. BANK ONE BUILDING - 444 Throckmorton - 2001. This new Sundance Square building features red brick and cast stone trim. It will be 12 stories when completed with an adjacent 766 car parking garage that will be disguised.
106. CASSIDY CORNER - E. 1st & Pecan - 2000, 2001. This office/residential condominium project has been constructed on two of the four corners of this intersection. The exterior is of a post-modern design.
Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth Home Page
Please send E-mail comments to John Roberts.
Last updated on