Architecture in Fort Worth

Texas and Pacific Warehouse

SW corner of W. Lancaster & Jennings - 1931 (NR, RTHL, FWHSE)

 

Although separated from Texas & Pacific Railway Terminal by a block, Architects Wyatt C. Hedrick and Herman P. Koeppe scaled back the ornamentation from the passenger terminal and then utilized the simplified design for this 8 story warehouse building. However, even with less ornamentation, this building is still a great example of the Zigzag Moderne Style. It features inlaid panels of blue tile, ornamental brickwork, and polychrome brick.  The polychrome brick has many patterns typical of the Art Deco period. The exterior of the building is marked by octagonal corner towers and intermediate roof towers, similar to the passenger terminal.  Detailing within the brickwork is also the same between the warehouse and the terminal.  The warehouse offered space for the storage, distribution, and refrigeration of produce and merchandise. Office and salesrooms were also available within the structure; thus, tenants could consolidate their warehouse and showrooms under one roof.  The General Contractor for the building was P.O'B. Montgomery of Dallas.  This warehouse, 611 feet long by 100 feet wide, is currently vacant.

Historic Photographs from the Jack White Collection:
Construction Photograph from the south - 1931