Architecture in Fort Worth

Atelier Building

209 W. 8th - c.1905; restored 1980 (RTHL, DD)

 

When this building was constructed, it housed the Hunter-Phelan Savings Bank & Trust Co., a private bank on the first floor and Smith and Schenk, an architect's office on the second floor.  The architects gave the building its name.  The term "atelier" refers to an artist's or designer's studio.  Smith and Schenk are also believed to be the buildings architects.  At one time this structure was the temporary location for Fort Worth's Carnegie Library.  The Atelier Building appears to be more of a residential type of building placed in a commercial district.  Its notable features include a hipped roof and two square chimneys in the front of the building.  In 1980, the building was purchased by Cameron Alread, an architect, who restored the building and returned the space to use as an architect's office. In 2016, Barnett, Howard, & Williams, PLLC bought the building from Alread and converted it into their law office.