Architecture in Fort Worth

 

 

United States Post Office

251 W. Lancaster Ave. - 1933 (NR, RTHL)

This monumental civic building was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and features good architecture with icons of the city. The Texas Limestone structure is a mix of Beaux Arts and Classical styling. The classical columns capitals on the building feature Texas Longhorn and Hereford cattle and the cornice is ornamented with lion heads. The most dramatic space within the Post Office is the lobby, which runs the entire length of the building.  Although it was constructed as a part of the Texas and Pacific Railway Complex, Hedrick chose to turn away from the Art Deco Styling of the Passenger Terminal and the Warehouse.  The Post Office opened two years after the Texas and Pacific buildings.