This two story, red brick building with basement was designed by the Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet & Staats. It originally served as the City-County Hospital until 1939. In 1926, the 25 bed facility was doubled in size to 50 beds. After 1939, the building had a variety of uses. With the construction and opening of the Bass Performance Hall across the street, the 1913-1926 building was renamed the Maddox-Muse Center. Offices relating to the Bass Hall are housed here. In 1999, two shell spaces were added to the building that house rehearsal and recital spaces. Sundance Square architect, David M. Schwarz designed the addition which appears to be three separate buildings along Calhoun Street. On the northwest corner of the site, the building has a red brick exterior with a granite base. Inside this space is the Van Cliburn Recital Hall. This part relates well to the original structure, immediately to the east. In the center of the Calhoun Street facade, is the Mechanical Plant for the Bass Hall. In this part of the facade, the building is clad in an aluminum curtain wall with aluminum panels. At the southeast corner of the site, Schwarz created a yellow brick, cast stone, and glazed brick facade that is reminiscent of some of the city's Art Deco landmarks. The McDavid Studio is located within this portion of the building.
Original Building Architect:
Sanguinet & Staats, Fort Worth
1999 Addition Architect:
David M. Schwarz Architectural Services, Washington, D.C.