1924; addition - 1935; adaptive re-use - 1990; 2004
This garage was built on the site of the Mansion Hotel (destroyed by fire in 1920). The garage was constructed as a 3 story concrete building in 1924. The contractor for this project was Walter G. Hollingsworth. Three additional stories were added in 1935 and the garage served as parking for the Blackstone Hotel. In 1990 the building's facade was significantly altered when the structure became the headquarters of GAINSCO Insurance. A gabled 7th floor was added at that time. Architects for the adaptive re-use were Cauble-Hoskins, and Sedalco was the General Contractor. Renovations in the late 1990's for GAINSCO were done by Halbach-Dietz Architects. GAINSCO has since relocated and the building has recently been remodeled again for Wagner Oil. The architect for the latest renovations was Robert W. Kelly. The building also houses three restaurants. The Grape Escape, a wine bar that serves light meals occupies a retail space on Commerce Street. Another eating and drinking establishment called Fizzi opens to 4th Street. Ciao, an Italian restaurant also faces Commerce Street.