This structure, one of the signature buildings of Fort Worth, was designed by Sanguinet & Staats. It was modeled after the Flatiron Building in New York (1902). Our Flatiron Building was one of the first steel framed buildings in Fort Worth and was one of the tallest commercial buildings in North Texas in the early 1900's. Originally designed with 10 stories, three floors were cut from the building due to budgetary constraints. The following is an ironic situation. The man that Fort Worth is named after is buried on a small island of land at the intersection of Broadway and Fifth Avenue at the base of the Flatiron Building in New York City. William Jenkins Worth died shortly before Fort Worth was founded.
The building is owned by Dr. George Cravens and his wife and they completed a $4 million restoration/renovation of the structure. The first phase was their own loft apartment located on the top two floors. That was followed by construction of residences on the rest of the building, except for the ground floor and the basement. On the ground floor, plans call for a bistro or cafe. A few years ago, the Park Central Hotel, immediately to the south, was purchased by Dr. Cravens and his wife. However, recently, they sold the hotel, and currently, it is being remodeled into a Fairfield Inn & Suites. Between the two buildings a two story condominium is being constructed. The Cravens' also donated a panther sculpture that was placed in the adjacent Hyde Park. The architect for the restoration of the Flatiron Building was Raymond O'Connor and the contractor was Scott Dennett Construction.