Architecture in Fort Worth

 

Knights of Pythias Club Building

108 E. 3rd Street - 1920; restored 1981 (DD)

 

This is an addition to the Knights of Pythias Castle Hall which served as additional space for the organization. It was designed by J.J. Pollard and matches the original building in design. It was restored in 1981 as a part of the original Sundance Squre development by Architect Thomas E. Woodward & Associates and contractor Thos. S. Byrne.  One of the unusual features of the building is that it is only 25 feet wide along Third Street and is approximately 100 feet deep, making it oriented 90 degrees to the remainder of the buildings on the block.  It actually wraps behind the Domino Building and the Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art.   It currently houses The Flying Saucer Draught Imporium on the ground floor and office space on the upper two floors. The Flying Saucer has an extremely large selection of beer and also serves food.  They also offer outdoor dining among the trees in the adjacent landscaped area to the east of the building.  A canopy was added over the outdoor dining area in 2010.