National Regsiter of Historic Places
City of FW Highly Significant Endangered Landmark
Mid-Continent Supply Co.
Floyd J. Holmes Building
Fort Worth Club Building
The Fort Worth Club was originally formed as the Commercial Club and built their first building on this site in 1887. In 1906, they changed to their current name. The prime ground floor tenant of the Commercial Club Building was Haltom's Jewelers. In 1915, the club demolished their three story building to build an even larger club facility. It was designed to be constructed 12 stories, but only built with 6 floors, and its original name was the Fort Worth Club Building. The architects were Muller and Pollard of Fort Worth. Bryce Building Company was the General Contractor. Haltom's Jewelers occupied the ground floor in the new structure, as well. The building is Italianate in style and utilizes wrought iron balconies with decorative brick and cast stone patterns. In 1922, the club sold the property to Oilman Floyd J. Holmes, who then renamed the building after himself. By 1926, the Fort Worth Club had outgrown this building and they constructed a new 12 story building two blocks to the west. In 1937, the ground floor was remodeled with an art deco facade, and a connection was made into the Winfree Building next door for Haltom's Jewelers. In 1949, the building was sold to Mid-Continent Supply Company, owned by Ken Davis. In 1974, the original windows were replaced and the base of the building was remodeled again with red granite and plate glass windows. Mid-Continent Supply occupied the building until 1989. From that time until 2001, the building was vacant. In that year, the building was redeveloped into a luxury hotel called The Ashton. The next building door was also incorporated into the development of the hotel. The remodeled base was stripped off of the building and restoration is complete. Restoration work included reconstructing the original base and installing replacement windows that resembled the original ones. The hotel has 39 rooms with a health club, ballroom, and meeting rooms. In addition to this, the hotel's restaurant features a piano bar, wine cellar, and private dining room. The hotel opened on April 23, 2001. Robert W. Kelly of Fort Worth was the architect for the project.
Historic Photographs from the Jack White Collection:
Commercial Club Building c.1890
Commercial Club Building from 1913
Commercial Club Building Detail
Haltom's Jewelers & Building in 1915
Haltom's Jewlers & Building in 1949
Muller & Pollard, Fort Worth
Bryce Building Company, Fort Worth
Robert W. Kelly, Fort Worth