500 W. 7th from the west

500 W. 7th from Burnett Park

500 W. 7th

Formerly NationsBank - 1961

This building, designed by Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill of New York is modeled after the Lever House in New York. It is an excellent example of Modern Architecture and has held up well over time. It was originally built for the First National Bank of Fort Worth, but now it is a Bank of America branch.  Through a series of takeovers, the bank has downsized and only occupies a small portion of the original bank lobby.  On 7th Street, the building is set back from the curb with a large granite paved plaza.  Within the plaza are modern sculptures that were put in place when the building opened.  Behind the plaza is the banking hall with the office tower rising to the rear of the site.  The building has an additional entrance on 6th Street that serves the tower.  A minor entrance on Burnett Street serves the retail on the lower levels and connects into the tunnel that ties into Burnett Plaza.  The design of the facade includes a curtain wall that is set back from the building's structure.  The parking is served by a full block parking garage across 6th Street from the tower.  A second downtown Subway Sandwich Shop occupies part of the ground floor.

Historic Photographs from the Jack White Collection:
Elk's Club - 1913

Back Up Next