Architecture in Fort Worth

 

 

 

 

Y.W.C.A.

512 W. 4th - 1928; addition - 1999 (NR, RTHL, CFW)

 

This buff brick building, designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick was originally built as an Elk's Lodge. The General Contractor was Thos. S. Byrne.  The style is slightly Georgian Revival featuring a front portico, nonfunctional balconies, and wrought iron detailing. Although, the exterior has some nice detailing, the interior is very ornate, featuring a beautiful ballroom and a grand lobby.  A project has been recently completed to restore the interior public spaces of the building, renovate the basement into a children's area, and add an accessible ground level entrance and elevator tower on the north side of the building.  This addition is to the rear of the building and is set back from the building line so that from the corner of 4th and Burnett Streets, you do not see it.  The addition faces a small parking lot on W. 3rd Street and borrows its look from the main building by using the same brick colors.  The architectural firm that detailed the restoration and designed the addition was Komatsu & Associates of Fort Worth.

Permission to take interior photographs was granted by the Y.W.C.A. of Fort Worth and Historic Fort Worth, Inc.

Interior Photographs:
Lobby
Ballroom