Architecture in Fort Worth

The Masonic Center

1100 Henderson - 1931 (RTHL)

Formerly the Masonic Temple

 

This Masonic temple, designed by Wiley G. Clarkson sits on a dominant hillside on the southwest end of Downtown Fort Worth. Although the temple is of the Classical Moderne Phase of the Art Deco era, it shows elements of other architectural styles. A grand exterior staircase extends from Henderson Street up to the front door. The building shape itself is a ziggurat form with the top of the ziggurat becoming a greek temple with a flat roof. The columns on this upper portion of the temple are of the ionic order, yet the plan of the building is in the Beaux Arts style. The exterior material is Indiana Limestone. The interior of the temple has remained virtually unchanged over the years.  Harry B. Friedman was the General Contractor.  The building is primarily now used as a meeting and event venue.  The building has several rooms that can seat large numbers of people.  The two most notable spaces are the Grand Ballroom on the first floor and the Commandry on the upper two levels.

 

The Masonic Center Website

 




The Commandry
The Commandry