Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:19 PM

Wow.

#3 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:01 PM

Everything looks incredible from the beautiful floor to the woodwork to the dome in the atrium. First class.

#4 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

Now I'm really excited to see what they will build next door.

#5 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:14 PM

I like the travertine and how they apparently hid all of the reminders of the old, awkward bank lobby and bridge to the elevator lobby.

I don't like the overly-busy design on the floor, the black accents between the wood panels (should have made it cleaner, very subtle seams) or the brass door handles. Those elements sort of dumb-down an otherwise sophisticated, clean design. In general, though, I like the Tower.

Whenever designers or developers fear turning off those with more naive taste, they tack on some gaudy garbage that, IMO, compromise the integrity of the design. For example, Schaumburg's designs are just dripping with imagery that connote wealth and sophistication to those who are themselves unsophisticated (at least in their taste in architectural design). The taste is like that of your typical 20-year old NBA player.

#6 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:20 AM

For example, Schaumburg's designs are just dripping with imagery that connote wealth and sophistication to those who are themselves unsophisticated (at least in their taste in architectural design).  The taste is like that of your typical 20-year old NBA player.

View Post

What elements in particular have you noticed of Sch :D umburg's works that showcase this? Bathtub spouts rigged to pour out of a golden lion's mouth?

#7 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

Just beautiful..Im so glad to see the worlds biggest birds nest come alive again..Bravo!!

For example, Schaumburg's designs are just dripping with imagery that connote wealth and sophistication to those who are themselves unsophisticated (at least in their taste in architectural design).  The taste is like that of your typical 20-year old NBA player.

View Post

What elements in particular have you noticed of Sch :D umburg's works that showcase this? Bathtub spouts rigged to pour out of a golden lion's mouth?

View Post

#8 apearson28

apearson28

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

ah whatever, i think its sweet

#9 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

Golly, looks like it's straight from a real city. :D

#10 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:42 PM

View Post

What elements in particular have you noticed of Sch B) umburg's works that showcase this? Bathtub spouts rigged to pour out of a golden lion's mouth?

View Post

(My mistake about the brass - it doesn't look as though the doors have brass on them after all.)

Examples of Schaumburg's buildings that demonstrate what I said above?
We can start with the projects' ridiculous names.
- Le Bijou (The Jewel). Appears from the rendering to be one of his better ones, however is dripping with affectation. It is overly packed with ornament that is intended to make it look more luxurious and more Eurpean I suppose. It is nothing more than an interpretation of French architecture - not that similar to the real deal. We'll see what facade material he uses. In France, it would be stone.
- The Versailles. come on - what about the cheapo yellow stucco building w/ single-hung windows even vaguely resembles French architecture, let alone Versailles?
- Summit Ruins. This is the most ridiculous. It is intended to look like an ancient ruin crumbling around a modernist black glass box. It would be more appropriate in Vegas than Fort Worth.

I can't easily articulate the difference between serious architects and pretenders on the forum. I would assume most of you know the difference. There are those who are more progressive and those who are revivalists (e.g. Schwarz), each of which has its critics. Schaumburg appears to be neither - rather using architecture merely as a part of a marketing theme used to sell buildings - cheap interpretations of other parts of the world in exceedingly naive packages - as if designed to target those who have never seen those other places or who lack the design sensibility to know the difference between the real thing and the interpretation of it.

#11 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:55 PM

I agre with you Urbn for the most part. HOWEVER, Schambourg is doing it and there aren't too many willing to take a risk in this town with his vision. It's OK to poke fun at him and his portfolio, but let's see what kind of acceptance he can acheive in broadening the horizons of this now city of 618K.

Lobs, nice pic, love the stuffed dog too. Looks like a cute harmless Eewok on all fours. DOHH, Dee Deee Deeeh Deeeh! Does everyone get to pet it as they walk out to work. Sort of like that rock on Clemson's football field. J/K ol Chum! Nice place , now I see what you payed for.
When at the front desk , do I ask for Lobs, MR. Lobs? Esquire?
Nah, nice pic's though, I am turning green. Could have been the bad English Muffins.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#12 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

I can’t decide how you’d categorize the lobby design. Neoclassical? Arts & Craft? Both?

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

I think I will have to actually go into the space to make my evaluation. Although Lobster's pictures are good, it is just really too hard to tell from them what style it would be. David, a mix of styles might put it into the Post Modern period.

#14 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:51 PM

I think I will have to actually go into the space to make my evaluation.  Although Lobster's pictures are good, it is just really too hard to tell from them what style it would be.  David, a mix of styles might put it into the Post Modern period.

View Post

Postmodernism, I’ve always found that term confusing, it seems to be the catch all bucket for any peg that didn’t fit into its design exactly. Like the stick “tenured” architects whack newbie’s with when they deviate too far from the accepted design norm. :cry:

The layout seems to flow rather nicely and is exactly what you would think a well-dressed Fort Worth residence should come across as. I thought there had to be some sort of ambiguity or contradiction in two or more styles in addition to just the basic departure from the norms of modernism to qualify as postmodern? ...not sure really.

As you first enter from the street it appears to be solid Neoclassic, with all Greco-Roman lines and almost entirely made of stone, but then you enter into the “not sure how many sided,” (elevator atrium?) which still has some of the Neoclassic lines but morphs Arts & Craft detail and materials, not sure if the entrance had wood inlays or not.

I’m obviously not an architect, just a wanabe, but I’d like to believe the cross pollination of two architectural styles had the ability to create a new genre or style as apposed to just lumping any two combinations into a catch all definition. (sigh) wishful thinking I guess…

#15 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:40 AM

What is that VELVET?

Actually, it looks (judging by pic's) to be a bit Neo-Classical Asian inspired. Is that goldleaf all about the echo room? TLC sure gave the Hearst Castle a lil run for their money. :cry:
www.iheartfw.com

#16 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

What is that VELVET?

Actually, it looks (judging by pic's) to be a bit Neo-Classical Asian inspired. Is that goldleaf all about the echo room? TLC sure gave the Hearst Castle a lil run for their money.  ;)

View Post

Think they're going for a parchment look; I’ve seen that color in Arts & Craft lanterns.

I don’t think they were going for a specific style or period, just pleasing visually, think they succeeded.

#17 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:54 PM

The arts and crafts (and mission style) lamp material is actually mica, a mineral.

I think it looks vaguely art deco, vaguely arts and crafts, and a little Asian maybe. It's hard to overtly do one style or another without being kitschy. I think they went for modern with hints of those other styles and achieved something very classy. Can't wait to see it up close.

#18 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

I think it is parchment like, or mica as pointed out earlier. Very nice lighting with the background, enhances the height. Accent lighting is the way to go on that one. I wonder if the lights change colors from time to time, would be kinda neat and mood setting. I love the Amber effects though. I think they should furnish the area with glass cobalt here and there, not tooo overdone. With our luck they will probably find room for a stuffed head of a longhorn.
www.iheartfw.com

#19 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

Sam’s right on the money, I was racking my brain trying to remember that material, I’ve not seen one in person just pirated the designs for some of my furniture; I’m not sure what they’re using in the atrium, some kind of paper, for some reason I kept coming back to “Vellum.”

Arts & Craft Mica Lamp Link

Posted Image

#20 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

I kind of like the Garrett figurine:
Posted Image

Kinda grows on you.

#21 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

If Sam is right. And if that very nice website you displayed is for real on those prices. Then that Mica Room must have cost a F-O-R-T-U-N-E. The site has a very nice looking Mica sconce lighting going for $300 a pop. Love the amber glow, but come on. I wanna know who their dealers where at the Tower.
www.iheartfw.com

#22 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

I like the Arts & Craft or Mission Style, Stickley Furniture, Morris chairs, etc... but with anything hand crafted, it seems, a hefty price is affixed somewhere along the path of ownership, that goes double for anything Arts & Craft. That’s why I have to make my own, can never justify the price tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users