• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 17 March 2022 - 06:25 AM

Glad to see Dickie's Arena hosting some of the early rounds in men's basketball.  Fort Worth will receive national attention in a major sports event and, this time around, Dallas will have nothing to do with it!  It will also be an economic windfall for our city, as stated in this FWBP article

https://fortworthbus...n-for-the-city/

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:41 AM

Montgomery was packed full of people... first time seeing something like that since 2019 when we last hosted College Gameday in Sundance.

(P.S., the arena is getting RAVE reviews, nationwide. The UIL finals need to be moved here.)

dickies-arena-ncaa-2161f28e-2384-43c4-81

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:56 AM

I watched the games all day yesterday on TV. Great publicity for the city and the atmosphere seemed great. Cant wait for Saturday!

#4 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 18 March 2022 - 08:53 PM

I'd be interesting to know the capacities of the various venues hosting these early rounds. Seems like Dickie's would be one of if not the smallest.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 09:13 PM

Round one and Two locations,

San Diego - Viejas Arena - 12,414 (Home of SD State)
Omaha - UD Arena - 13,409 (only hosting "First Four" games)
Greenville - Bon Secours Wellness Arena - 15,000
Milwaukee - Fiserv Forum - 17,341(Home of the NBA's Bucks)
Indianapolis - Gainbridge Fieldhouse - 17,923 (Home of the NBA's Pacers)
Pittsburgh - PPG Paints Arena - 19,000 (Home of the NHL's Penguins)
Buffalo - Keybank Center - 19,200 (Home of the NHL's Sabres (@Doohickie))
Portland - MODA Center - 19,393 (Home of the NBA's Trailblazers)

Dickies seats 13,550 for b-ball.

#6 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:05 AM

San Diego needs a new arena.

I know they have plans and all, but that facility looks too small for that city.

7fwPZnE.png

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 March 2022 - 01:49 PM

I have enjoyed watching the games from my hometown.  It's great exposure for the city.  Today, I picked up the games when I arrived home after my Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour.  I arrived home about noon, and started watching the Baylor vs. North Carolina game.  It's shame the #1 seed, Baylor lost, but upsets do happen often.  The North Carolina Band was performing inside the drop off and pickup location at the Omni this morning, and you could hear the band echoing all over the southern section of Downtown.

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 07:51 PM

Lots of Baylor, UNC and Kansas people hitting up West 7th afterwards. I spent time out there today and it felt like pre-COVID days. 

(Even though most of the Baylor and Kansas people were already living up here, it was good to have some tourists back.)

7fwPZnE.png

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:03 PM

I was nice to see more activity in all parts of the city.

#10 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:59 AM

Lots of Baylor, KU and Kansas people hitting up West 7th afterwards. I spent time out there today and it felt like pre-COVID days. 

(Even though most of the Baylor and Kansas people were already living up here, it was good to have some tourists back.)

No UNC fans?

#11 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:19 PM

Lots of Baylor, KU and Kansas people hitting up West 7th afterwards. I spent time out there today and it felt like pre-COVID days. 

No UNC fans?

I meant UNC, but ended up putting Kansas up there twice by mistake.

Anyway, some high praise from twitter for Dickies. 
(Sorry it's a little blurry.)

kI7KiAF.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#12 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:22 PM

No UNC fans?

kI7KiAF.jpg

Oh ok.  I didn't put that together either.  I was thinking those were the 3 of the 4 teams and all their fans were out but UNC fans felt they were too good to party in Cowtown.  LOL

So I guess you didn't notice any Creighton fans.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:39 PM

It's shame the #1 seed, Baylor lost, but upsets do happen often.  

Not sure shame is the word I'd use to describe Baylor losing  :devil:

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 02:34 PM

No UNC fans?

kI7KiAF.jpg

Oh ok.  I didn't put that together either.  I was thinking those were the 3 of the 4 teams and all their fans were out but UNC fans felt they were too good to party in Cowtown.  LOL

So I guess you didn't notice any Creighton fans.

Not a lot, honestly. 

7fwPZnE.png

#15 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:24 AM

Montgomery was packed full of people... first time seeing something like that since 2019 when we last hosted College Gameday in Sundance.

(P.S., the arena is getting RAVE reviews, nationwide. The UIL finals need to be moved here.)

dickies-arena-ncaa-2161f28e-2384-43c4-81

Don't see any way that happens unless they would agree to move their date forward. existing relationship with the American Athletic Conference and future dates already with Women's NCAA dates would preclude it being in March.  Very small window in late February and the difficulty of taking a venue offline for 60 days due to the rodeo and having to meet weekend dates for the NLL would make it very unlikely.

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:27 PM

As Austin noted, I'm from Buffalo and was following some of the Buffalo sports reporters on Twitter.  One "subplot" was the Arkansas Razorbacks coach, Eric Musselman, embracing the city.  He was all over Twitter with Buffalo Braves (the old NBA team which is now the Clippers), Bills, Sabres, Buffalo Bisons (AAA for the Blue Jays) shirts and other gear, and made a point of taking the team around the area including Niagara Falls.  It created a buzz.  It was interesting because I don't think he has any previous ties to Buffalo.  I think he did it to try to win the Buffalo crowd over so they would support the Razorbacks and I think he was successful.

I'm not sure if the city or tourist bureau sent anything to the teams playing in Fort Worth, but it might be worth the modest investment to send incoming teams' coaches some Fort Worth gear with an information packet.  Include PCLC, FtW Cats, Stockyards, Southside, Museum District, etc., related stuff.  Musselman provided the City of Buffalo a lot of good press; Fort Worth should encourage the same in the future.

My blog: Doohickie

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:32 PM

...and having to meet weekend dates for the NLL would make it very unlikely.

The other things you cited are factors for sure, but the Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Portland areans all host NBA or NHL teams which play more frequently than NLL clubs.  It's pretty simple; just schedule a road swing during the window you want.  (The Sabres just finished a 3-game road trip last night, for instance.)

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:12 PM

I'm curious:  Did anyone go to the games?  Was Dickies arena full?  From what I've seen in Buffalo, they were packed to the (19,200 seat) brim for most games.

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:40 PM

From what I saw on tv and from the social media posts about excessively long concession lines, the arena appeared to be pretty full.

#20 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 02:27 PM

...and having to meet weekend dates for the NLL would make it very unlikely.

The other things you cited are factors for sure, but the Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Portland areans all host NBA or NHL teams which play more frequently than NLL clubs.  It's pretty simple; just schedule a road swing during the window you want.  (The Sabres just finished a 3-game road trip last night, for instance.)

the challenge with the NLL compared to the other leagues, is they are a weekend only league.  Since the players all have full time jobs they can play on Friday or Saturday nights and have to get exemptions to host on other nights, its just one extra logistical challenge with their league.  The American Athletic Conference holds the arena for 7 days, including that weekend, and with hopefully the NCAA in semiregular play that would tie up the following weekend.

So Looking at Dickies Spring Calendar;

February

1st weekend - Rodeo

2nd weekend - Rodeo cleanup

3rd weekend - lacrosse 3 of 10

4th weekend - lacrosse 4 of 10

March

1st Saturday - Lacrosse 5 of 10

2nd Saturday - AAC basketball

3rd Saturday - NCAA basketball (back in 2026 for Women's and Bid out for 2027 Men's)

4th Saturday - Lacrosse 6 of 10

April

1st weekend -  Disney on Ice (not contractual, but this is two years in a row, and they like regular schedules

2nd weekend - NCAA Gymnastics

so if you expect to have any concerts in the spring season the dates just can't get around on the contractual stuff without shifting things to mid week.

I think the dream scenario would be find a way to go 12 straight days and have high school basketball lead into the AAC.  Use the AAC court, get the teams a chance to play on college tournament floor, with tournament feel.  Have the college teams be present for recruiting and scouting, let the tournament directors of the AAC build game atmosphere and let it feel like a major college championship and lighten my load of changing from event to event!!

To answer the attendance question, extremely full, tickets announced on Saturday was 13,000+ which would be near capacity.  Additionally the TV ratings for Saturday were two of the top five watched games from the weekend.  So good draws help, but good turnout for sure

#21 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 09 March 2023 - 11:21 PM

2023 American Athletic Conference Men's Basketball Championship At Dickies this weekend:

http://theamerican.o...naments/?id=275

cQkwARE.jpg

#22 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:14 PM

2023 American Athletic Conference Men's Basketball Championship At Dickies this weekend:

cQkwARE.jpg

Hopefully the new teams in the conference bring better daily attendance, losing Houston will hurt the conference a lot, but adding san antonio, rice and UNT might help around here

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 March 2023 - 10:34 PM

cQkwARE.jpg

Hopefully the new teams in the conference bring better daily attendance, losing Houston will hurt the conference a lot, but adding san antonio, rice and UNT might help around here

Yeah... it's the American Athletic Conference. I don't exactly expect HUGE crowds, regardless. 

7fwPZnE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users