186 replies to this topic

#101 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:28 PM

I had my first post-pandemic flight last week. Was nice to be able to fly again! I was lucky enough to leave from the international terminal which is always a treat. 

The new C terminal area is coming along nicely. 

I got to see both the new Turkish flight and another AN-124 that stopped by. 

#102 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:57 PM

Its being reported British Air May begin using one of their A380s on LHR-DFW beginning December.

https://t.co/A37T5RvgWz

#103 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:53 PM

Nice. Sweet wife and I are ready for a return trip, and that looks roomy.

#104 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 12:09 PM

It's been a busy weekend for aviation fans at DFW.  An Antonov AN-124 and an AN-12 came and went yesterday and both are due back in this afternoon.  The 124 flew directly over Fort Worth inbound from Guadalajara and the 12 did the same on its way out.  Both are inbound from Mexico again and the airport is in a southerly flow, so an approach over Fort Worth is likely.  

#105 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 12:21 PM

That AN-12 is beautiful.

#106 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 01:29 PM

The livery of the one that has been here is very cool.  Don't see many planes with an orange and black paint job.  It's pretty similar in size to a C-130.  My kid has an event this afternoon, so I'm trying to figure out if I can get out there to see something.  It sounds like the An-12 is only going to be on the ground for a couple of hours.

#107 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:42 PM

I missed the An-12 departure, but I did make it in time to see the An-124 arrival.  I tried to go to Founder's and found a full parking lot.  It was a little early to risk parking along Airfield Drive to watch, so I opted for a driveway just to the west of the DFW North TexRail station.  The first photo is a still from my video, so the quality is not all that great.

IMG_1178-L.jpg

IMG_1189-L.jpg

#108 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 10:06 PM

Where did you grab photo #2? Was it at the end of W 19th St?

#109 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 11:42 PM

A little to the south of there in front of the last cargo building on Airfield Drive.

#110 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 04:27 PM

World's largest plane reportedly destroyed in Ukraine

https://www.cnn.com/...intl/index.html

#111 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 05:53 PM

The reports on the plane's status have been wildly inconsistent since Thursday, but the evidence points to it being heavily damaged at the very least.  ADB operates the An-225 and 7 An-124s out of the Ukraine.  2 were on the ground at the same airport as the 225 and the rest are scattered and still operating.  The aircraft that was at DFW a few weeks ago is in Germany and there's another in Houston.

Unfortunately, the loss of this plane pales in comparison to the the tragic impact on life and culture in the Ukraine and the impact is likely far from over.

#112 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:06 AM

High C gates are open and they look pretty nice!

https://www.chron.co...es-17212064.php

#113 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 10:20 AM

High C gates are open and they look pretty nice!

https://www.chron.co...es-17212064.php

Looks like a great (i.e., awful) place to drop your keys:

1200x0.jpg

My blog: Doohickie

#114 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 01:35 AM

Just like the Low D extension, I didn't learn about the High C extension opening until the day after it opened. I explored it upon learning it was open, and it's pretty nice.

The High C extension feels like an extension of Terminal C (but much nicer), and stores/restaurants are in their own rooms.

This is opposed to the Low D extension, which feels like it's own thing far away from the main building and where stores/restaurants are out in the open.

The High C extension has a "Fort Worth Magazine" store that's not open yet. Though, I believe it's just another Hudson News or something similar branding itself as a local news store.

-Dylan

#115 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 11:59 AM

DFW's April 2022 international numbers surpassed April 2019.

https://www.dallasne...andemic-levels/

#116 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:18 PM

British Airways is bringing the first A380 to DFW since the pandemic started two years ago.

The flight number is BA193. It was supposed to land at 4:55 this afternoon, but it's about two hours behind schedule.

-Dylan

#117 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:31 PM

I'm going to try to make it out there since it's been delayed.  Southerly flow today, so Founder's will be a madhouse.  The light at that hour will make for some really nice photos.

#118 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 05:12 PM

DFW just debuted a new announcement at exactly 6:00pm today that I've never heard before: Dallas mayor Eric Johnson welcoming folks to Dallas. And, encouraging connecting passengers (those just passing through) to return for a visit.

As for BA193, I won't be able to watch it land unless it happens to land on one of the airport's eastern runways (I highly doubt it).

-Dylan

#119 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:16 PM

Update: A day or two later, DFW debuted a new announcement by Mattie Parker welcoming passengers to Fort Worth- "the modern west." She touts The Kimbell Art Museum, Sundance Square, The Stockyards, and Mule Alley as attractions to visit.

Eric Johnson's "Welcome to Dallas" announcement plays at the top of even numbered hours, and Mattie Parker's "Welcome to Fort Worth" announcement plays at the top of odd numbered hours.

-Dylan

#120 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:35 PM

That's great.  The message on the people mover trains from the mayor at the Orlando airport is a thing amongst Disney fans.  Buddy Dyer is closing in on 20 years as mayor of Orlando and I've probably flown there at least a dozen times since then.  I nearly have his spiel memorized.

#121 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 11:05 PM

I've flown from Orlando to DFW before- the day after the Summer 2015 NASCAR race at Daytona.

I was late getting from Daytona to Orlando, and would've missed my flight if my airline didn't wait for a dozen late Disney World passengers on a late shuttle.

Unfortunately, when he said "I hope you enjoyed your time in Orlando," I couldn't relate. He also said he hoped I would return someday. Maybe I will...

-Dylan

#122 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 07:23 PM

It would be nice if they played the messages back to back.  I flew last weekend and only heard the Dallas message,  Even with arriving at the airport 2 hours early, by the time you get through security you will most likely only hear one message.  You would have to be on the terminal side for 2 hours to hear both messages.

And for passengers that are making connections, which are the people the messages are really meant for, unless you have a 2+ hour layover you will only hear 1 of the two messages.

#123 NThomas

NThomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:48 PM

CoFW owns 33% of the airport, so it could be played only every third hour.

#124 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 08:11 AM

Play the Dallas and Fort Worth messages back-to-back hourly but give Mattie only 33% of the total word count.  :laugh:

#125 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 09:04 AM

Play the Dallas and Fort Worth messages back-to-back hourly but give Mattie only 33% of the total word count.  :laugh:

"Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick"

#126 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 July 2022 - 10:27 PM

It would be nice if they played the messages back to back.  I flew last weekend and only heard the Dallas message,  Even with arriving at the airport 2 hours early, by the time you get through security you will most likely only hear one message.  You would have to be on the terminal side for 2 hours to hear both messages.

And for passengers that are making connections, which are the people the messages are really meant for, unless you have a 2+ hour layover you will only hear 1 of the two messages.

Wow... guess what happened at DFW today...

I heard Mattie Parker's "Welcome to Fort Worth" message at 2:30 PM... and Eric Johnson's "Welcome to Dallas" message at 3:00 PM.

They've doubled the frequency of each announcement. "Welcome to Dallas" is now at the top of every hour, and "Welcome to Fort Worth" is at the bottom of every hour.

That just started today!

-Dylan

#127 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:10 PM

Update: They updated the timings of the announcements again. It took me a while to figure it out, but a day at the ticket counter helped.

Outside of security: Eric Johnson's "Welcome to Dallas" message plays at the start of every quarter hour, immediately followed by Mattie Parker's "Welcome to Fort Worth" message.

Inside of security: Eric Johnson's message plays at :10 and :40 after every hour; Mattie Parker's message plays at :20 and :50 after every hour.

-Dylan

#128 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 28 August 2022 - 07:27 PM

WFAA has an update on Terminal F

https://www.wfaa.com...jg9R1SugMPZ56Fg

#129 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 08:47 PM

McKinney eyes its own commercial airport as an alternative to DFW, Love Field

https://www-dallasne...?outputType=amp

#130 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 December 2022 - 08:34 AM

Wow... guess what happened at DFW today...

I heard Mattie Parker's "Welcome to Fort Worth" message at 2:30 PM... and Eric Johnson's "Welcome to Dallas" message at 3:00 PM.

They've doubled the frequency of each announcement. "Welcome to Dallas" is now at the top of every hour, and "Welcome to Fort Worth" is at the bottom of every hour.

That just started today!

I picked up a friend at the airport a few weeks ago and heard the same back-to-back Dallas and Fort Worth mayoral welcomes.   I like that the messages give the arrivals information about local tourist attractions.  And it at least lets international flyers know that Fort Worth exists.  I just wish the national news media would identify the airport as "DFW" or "Dallas-Fort Worth" and not "Dallas."

#131 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:37 AM

This article in the Washington Post gives DFW some nice national visibility, and they do spell out Dallas Fort Worth. They talk about the new look of the high C gates, the high-tech restrooms, and the modular construction. America's airport glow-up

52WWQXLPRLVG5XTFZKS4LRWHWA.jpg

#132 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:08 AM

Nice article on DFW that I ran across over the weekend.  Among the highlights are mentions of the 9 planned new gates at terminals A and C and a new plan to remodel C.  Instead of a remodel, they are planning to replace the terminal using the same modular construction used with the high C gates.

https://airport-worl.../star-of-texas/

#133 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:50 AM

Nice article on DFW that I ran across over the weekend.  Among the highlights are mentions of the 9 planned new gates at terminals A and C and a new plan to remodel C.  Instead of a remodel, they are planning to replace the terminal using the same modular construction used with the high C gates.

One of the commenters at the bottom cautioned him against sweeping Fort Worth under the rug.  I honestly thought he did OK mentioning Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington with maybe a bit more reference to the Dallas economy.

The "Silicon Prairie" terminology is new to me.

#134 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:41 PM

One of the commenters at the bottom cautioned him against sweeping Fort Worth under the rug.  I honestly thought he did OK mentioning Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington with maybe a bit more reference to the Dallas economy.

The "Silicon Prairie" terminology is new to me.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/

"Halt and Catch Fire" is a good show on Netflix and constantly refers to the late 80's in Dallas as the "Silicon Prairie"

#135 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:45 PM

A Google search shows an earliest mention in this D Magazine article from 1979:

https://www.dmagazin...ilicon-prairie/

#136 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 01:55 PM

the new modular gates areas in Terminal C are quite nice. I've had occasion to use them in Feb and March of this year.

High ceilings, wide walk ways, great signage 

• TLA likes this

#137 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 03:27 PM

Wow... they're planning to tear down Terminal C after all.

Even if they only tear down a portion of Terminal C at a time, I have to imagine American Airlines is going to want or need Terminal F to be built first. They use all of their gates every day.

Unlike Terminals A, B, or E, Terminal C has pillars along the length of the walkway that visually separates the walkway from boarding areas. It would be nearly impossible to make Terminal C feel open and airy like the other renovated terminals.

-Dylan

#138 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:27 PM

Start up airline Red Way is going to have twice weekly service between Lincoln, NE and DFW starting June 16:

https://www.goflyred...tion&id=4&lvl=3

Red Way flights are operated by charter service Global Crossing Airlines on A320/321s.

#139 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 03:02 PM

A fairly Non-Fort Worth-inclusive plug on their website:

GtFIIeL.png

#140 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 04:19 PM

Yeah and it's listed as Dallas on their destinations.

#141 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:52 AM

The Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport is located at 2400 Aviation Drive in North Central Dallas. 

#142 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:04 AM

Renderings of Terminal F and the C stingers via Nick Starling: https://twitter.com/...1285121/photo/2

MiCsvlA.jpg

uY01nnN.jpg

#143 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:30 AM

From the horses mouth: https://news.aa.com/...05/default.aspx

#144 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:04 AM

That Terminal F design is certainly different, almost a modern feel.

Newsroom-Secondary-DFW-Growth-F-2-051623

#145 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:08 AM

A big departure for sure, looks like a single entry point and gates on both sides as oppossed to just one. 

#146 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 07:48 PM

I thought Terminal F looked a little small compared to the rest of the terminals.  According to the press release it will have 15 gates.  According to Wikipedia, the terminal with the fewest gates right now is Terminal A with 26 gates.

Edited to add that upon reading the Star-Telegram article about the expansion, they are starting with 15 gates but it has room to add more.

Edited by mmmdan, 17 May 2023 - 10:29 AM.

#147 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 03:48 PM

An Antonov An-124 came in to DFW around 1:30 today and left just a few minutes ago.  I couldn't get the yard done quick enough to make it over for the arrival and I only had about 10 minutes notice on the departure.

#148 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:14 PM

I'm concerned looking at the rendering of so-called "Terminal F" ... it doesn't look like a terminal.

Rather, it looks like a satellite building that you can only access via other terminals.

Where's the space for ticket counters and baggage carousels?

-Dylan

#149 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:48 PM

From everything I've read, D will be used as a headhouse for the land side services (ticketing, baggage, and security) and passengers will access F through Sky Link.

#150 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:34 PM

From everything I've read, D will be used as a headhouse for the land side services (ticketing, baggage, and security) and passengers will access F through Sky Link.

This sounds like most other major airports I've used.  I sort of like the old DFW terminal design of: park, walk inside, check-in, go through security and find your gate all within a short distance of each other.  Arrivals and baggage claim works even better in reverse especially if someone picking you up knows what your arrival gate is.  If you timed it right, seat-to-seat was an amazingly short distance.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users