Photo
- - - - -

Deco 969 - 27 Floors, 315 ft. - 969 Commerce St.

Downtown

• Please log in to reply
851 replies to this topic

#751 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 25 April 2023 - 11:34 AM

I was looking at Southern Land Co's portfolio map online and what stood out to me is they have sold several of their developments.  While there's nothing suprising about this in general, I guess I sort of envisioned them holding onto these properties for a while but maybe not the case.  Take for example, the recently completed Nove at Knox in Dallas.  Their website says it was sold.  A quick search online didn't really reveal any major news articles about this (not that I looked very hard) but sure enough, a California company owns it now per DCAD website: https://www.dallasca...1526000D05A0000

What are the reasons why developers sell their properties soon after completion?  Here's a few ideas, but I would be interested to hear from anyone with direct experience on this business or which of these do you predict will resonate for the future of Deco 969?  

Residential high-rise developers build and sell their properties for various reasons, depending on their business objectives and financial goals. One reason is to generate revenue by selling the property after its completion, thereby realizing a return on their investment. Developers may also want to use the capital they receive from the sale to fund other projects, pay off debts or invest in new ventures. Another reason could be that they specialize in developing and constructing properties, but do not have the resources or expertise to manage the property long-term. In such cases, selling the property may be a more viable option than holding on to it and managing it themselves. Additionally, selling the property allows developers to mitigate their risk, as the real estate market can be volatile and unpredictable. By selling the property, developers can lock in their profit and avoid the potential downside of holding onto the property if the market were to decline. Ultimately, the decision to sell a residential high-rise property is based on various factors, including market conditions, financial goals, and business strategy.  (Source: OpenAI)

hd5Rc92.png

#752 Eastsider817

Eastsider817

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 04:02 PM

If they are looking for a spot to put another tower that means the current one could have been a lot taller. This falls into the category of Fort Worth being way to conservative on development. This tower should have been double the size. A missed opportunity IMO.

I don't think them deciding to build shorter has anything to do with Fort Worth being too conservative.  That decision was made by the developer not the city.

The city needs to offer incentives to build higher like Austin does. Plus the developer pretty much stated that the Fort Worth market income levels are on par and no different than other markets that are going through high rise residential building booms. Additional floors as it relates to added cost isn’t an obstacle in this case because the demand is high. When SLC does find the land to build another tower I am sure it will be double the size of this current building. It appears from what everyone has posted that this developer loves Fort Worth and plans to many towers here.

#753 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 04:25 PM

Is the salable value of a condo building based on percent occupancy? The risk in building something too tall would be not filling it and not also not being able to sell it for what they owe in construction costs.

#754 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:08 AM

Costs aside, land availability in the existing confines of downtown may be limited.  However, downtown could be expanded northward to Panther Island, provided that expanse of land becomes available for economic development when the flood control issues are resolved.  With the completion of the bridges, traffic infrastructure appears ready for new development.

#755 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 12:34 PM

What are the reasons why developers sell their properties soon after completion?  Here's a few ideas, but I would be interested to hear from anyone with direct experience on this business or which of these do you predict will resonate for the future of Deco 969?  

The developer wants to capture the highest return they can on a project. The vast majority of the value they're creating is done during the development process. So it's very common to see a project get developed, leased up, and then immediately sold. At that point a buyer with a lower cost of capital comes in and is happy to own the project for cash flow. The developer is trying to generate something like a 20% annual rate of return on their capital (for their investors, who are willing to take development risk in order to get that return), and the next buyer is probably an insurance company or a pension or someone like that, who didn't want to take development risk initially but might be perfectly happy with an annual 6% rate of return once the project is stabilized.

#756 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 04:10 PM

Costs aside, land availability in the existing confines of downtown may be limited.  However, downtown could be expanded northward to Panther Island, provided that expanse of land becomes available for economic development when the flood control issues are resolved.  With the completion of the bridges, traffic infrastructure appears ready for new development.

Well, with all the valley storage that has already been added, I would guess that the flood issues have been resolved. (Not a professional civil engineer, but have worked amongst them and as a technician for many decades). The problem comes when they add the bypass channel. It actually increases flood potential because it shortens the amount of time it takes floodwaters to get downstream. This project is a "billion" dollar solution to a "million" dollar problem. (Yes, I know the benefits are greater than just fixing the flood potential).

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#757 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 26 April 2023 - 05:42 PM

Well, with all the valley storage that has already been added, I would guess that the flood issues have been resolved. (Not a professional civil engineer, but have worked amongst them and as a technician for many decades). The problem comes when they add the bypass channel. It actually increases flood potential because it shortens the amount of time it takes floodwaters to get downstream. This project is a "billion" dollar solution to a "million" dollar problem. (Yes, I know the benefits are greater than just fixing the flood potential).

I thought the bypass was going to lessen the flood potential because it is taking out the oxbox which slows down the flow of the river causing a backup upstream.  At least that is what was explained on a youtube video I saw early in the design process.

#758 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 11:12 PM

Is the TIF/TIRZ stepping in with gap financing? That could help reduce basis for acquisition.

#759 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 08:11 PM

A friend of mine took this night shot which I quite like.

52855777585_2d0b6a07cf_z.jpg_T8A6417 by paul_717, on Flickr

Photo courtesy of Paul Moore.

My blog: Doohickie

#760 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 April 2023 - 08:25 PM

That is a nice shot.

#761 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 10:54 AM

That's why I asked him if I could post it here.  He's out and about a lot and night and takes some fabulous shots (you might want to look more at his Flickr).  The only thing Brian Luenser has on Paul is an elevated vantage point.

My blog: Doohickie

#762 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:29 PM

Here are my photographs from April 30th.  The one thing that I noticed is that furring channels are being installed on the parts of the east side of the building that don't already have finish materials installed.  These furring channels will be supporting metal panels, which is one of the last finish materials that has not been placed on the building.  These photographs are overalls, and do not show the furring channels.

52869197103_3f44ef7424_k.jpgdeco969-04-30-23-1 by jtrobert, on Flickr

52868756556_1ed4f5765c_k.jpgdeco969-04-30-23-2 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#763 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 08:15 AM

The GC posted a new walkthrough video yesterday of Level 24.  Here's some screen grabs interior and exterior:

xSjhlQH.jpg

8LWput2.jpg

Z7PkCfV.jpg

abO1dzL.jpg

PCD3oAT.jpg

AAPKMF2.jpg

UqDLPQt.jpg

#764 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 04:17 PM

Those penthouse levels are going to be pretty sweet with all the glass. 

bXcVg5V.jpg

#765 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 07:30 PM

You beat me to this week's photographs.  I was planning to go down there tomorrow.

#766 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:16 PM

Here are today's photographs of Deco 969.  Glazing only has one more floor to go.  The balcony rails have started to be installed, and in the open areas inside the parking garage below some of the balconies, now have grilles installed over the openings.  I also went up to the lobby of the Kimpton Harper Hotel to take a picture of the building.

Yet to come in another thread, a photograph of the construction progress on the Le Meridien Hotel (Hilton Hotel Annex).  Finally the new rooftop floor's steel framing is being erected.  With this floor being set back from the face of the building, it is barely noticeable from the street.

52915316026_157dc09e5d_k.jpgdeco969-05-21-23-1 by jtrobert, on Flickr

52915468599_28f8b3e05d_k.jpgdeco969-05-21-23-2 by jtrobert, on Flickr

52915770048_71fb128847_k.jpgdeco969-05-21-23-3 by jtrobert, on Flickr

52914733212_a55d118a1a_k.jpgdeco969-05-21-23-4 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#767 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:38 PM

I like that perspective from the Kimpton.

#768 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:40 PM

As you can see, I get reflections from the other windows on that floor.  However, I do like that view.  Personally, I think the southern wing should have been 10 stories taller.

#769 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 07:30 PM

As you can see, I get reflections from the other windows on that floor.  However, I do like that view.  Personally, I think the southern wing should have been 10 stories taller.

As I contemplate your Kimpton photo and the Level 24 walkthrough photos, I will be curious to find out if the penthouse primary views are facing south and east or if those units will also incorporate downtown views?  Personally, if I were paying for a penthouse in that building I'd want to be looking at downtown.  I'm sort of on the fence about overlooking the amenity deck as it is only just a few stories down from there so people having fun, music etc could that be fun to be in close proximity to or annoying?  The Level 24 walkthrough it seemed like you pass through the elevator bank opposite direction from the units to reach the door to the amenity / pool deck. 

#770 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 09:37 PM

The upper floor plans show a generally double loaded corridor.  Nitixope, I believe you are correct in that you go from the elevator bank to the amenity/pool deck by heading away from the units.

#771 fortworth81

fortworth81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:12 AM

As I contemplate your Kimpton photo and the Level 24 walkthrough photos, I will be curious to find out if the penthouse primary views are facing south and east or if those units will also incorporate downtown views?  Personally, if I were paying for a penthouse in that building I'd want to be looking at downtown.  I'm sort of on the fence about overlooking the amenity deck as it is only just a few stories down from there so people having fun, music etc could that be fun to be in close proximity to or annoying?  The Level 24 walkthrough it seemed like you pass through the elevator bank opposite direction from the units to reach the door to the amenity / pool deck. 

I too have had the exact same thoughts.  It seems the most prime view units will have balconies directly over the pool area.  I would think that would have the chance to be quite loud on the weekends and other various times.  It would depend on the quality of glass used and if any additional soundproof is taken into consideration.

#772 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:16 PM

Here's some screen grabs from the Owner's latest flyover:

0A50uAp.jpg

KBWfxIX.jpg

EpEy3EO.jpg

LEa8U1F.jpg

a6KIJCQ.jpg

xoGdmqE.jpg

vOenT8g.jpg

dAhyRV3.jpg

1CS1IVW.jpg

d7lEjru.jpg

#773 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:48 PM

Deco in name only.

#774 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:00 PM

Deco in name only.

It has some elements in there. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#775 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 04:54 PM

Facade work is to the top of the building and the light box at the very top is now framed in.  I hit the site when a high school graduation was starting, so traffic was crazy.  I didn't stay very long, and I only took this one photo.

52951028271_6de72af5f2_k.jpgdeco969-06-03-23 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#776 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 05:32 PM

Nice shot, John! That part of town has been busy lately with the graduations.

Crane coming down starting Thursday.

https://twitter.com/...bQbFaZvmhG2KpcQ

#777 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:19 PM

Thanks, Austin.  I figured it wouldn't be long before the crane was taken down.  I appreciate the heads up because I usually park on Calhoun, or on the side streets next to it, when I take my construction photographs.  Either I will have to walk further, parking will be more difficult, or both.  The thing to do would be to shoot it on Saturday at the Walking Tour, but our subject matter is "Stuff on the Bluff", so we probably won't be walking by.  Usually when I finish the tour, I don't have much interest in taking pictures afterwards. 

#778 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 11:12 AM

Crane is down

30jnklI.jpg

LMnL0I0.jpg

#779 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 11:47 AM

They dont waste time do they?

#780 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 12:50 PM

I also guess I don't need to post my photographs from this weekend.  They would be a repeat of Austin's post, except in mine, both cranes are gone.  My photographs are from Sunday.  I will post them on the site's social media pages.  However, I did get one from a distance at 4th & Grove.

#781 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:12 PM

I also guess I don't need to post my photographs from this weekend.  They would be a repeat of Austin's post, except in mine, both cranes are gone.  My photographs are from Sunday.  I will post them on the site's social media pages.  However, I did get one from a distance at 4th & Grove.

After 20-years I'm just learning the Forum has social media pages?

#782 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:56 PM

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Every page on the main site at Architecture in Fort Worth has the links to these on the left hand navigation bar.  The links show up as small icons for each social media site.

#783 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 08:26 PM

Sort of related to Deco969 and hopeful speculative other FW projects, Southern Land Company announces new Houston project:

https://southernland...kirby-district/

#784 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:35 PM

Taken yesterday via my Mom. I've clearly inherited a gene for urban development. 

UBDkkMr.jpg

#785 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 09:05 PM

Tell your mother that she did a good job with the photograph.

• TLA likes this

#786 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 09:52 PM

Work on the exterior is going slow, but I do have an updated exterior photo from this last weekend.  August 6, 2023.

53106400113_7f19e4b480_k.jpgdeco969-08-06-23 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#787 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 08:27 PM

Taken this Sunday. You can see the rain hitting to the North. This view may be partially obstructed when the Omni expands. 969 has most of its South-facing façade complete. 

OwNHEdL.jpg

#788 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 August 2023 - 07:34 AM

I noticed a few weeks back the installation had begun on the metal panel portion of the facade on the east side.  Maybe I can get a closer photo of the building this weekend.

#789 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 03:22 PM

Facade on the West side is pretty far along now. 

Iuw9gSb.jpg

oK8NXP8.jpg

aHC6GOh.jpg

#790 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 September 2023 - 07:03 PM

Austin, it is looking nice.  I was planning to get down there today to take pictures, but I didn't make it.

#791 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:45 AM

It was a nice weekend with the car show(s).

#792 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 05:36 AM

I hadn't been downtown in a long time, snapped this walking last Tuesday. Looking good!

GjPyRYH.jpg

#793 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 02:40 PM

Vertigo-inspired

bZtGQnZ.jpg

#794 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 03:12 PM

I agree 100% with your comment on the photo.

#795 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 07:04 PM

There's a unique perspective.  thanks for posting.

#796 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 05:31 PM

Deco 969 apartment tower perks to include a sky pool & bar with a 15-foot jumbotron
(By Jenny Rudolph)

https://www.star-tel...e281263143.html

#797 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 05:42 PM

I'm excited to see this building open downtown.  Seems accompanying businesses hopefully will follow.  A Trader Joe's or Royal Blue Grocery, quick breakfast/lunch place, dry cleaners, coffee shop (maybe the Houston Street place will be open by February), among others, all within rolling out of your bed distance.

#798 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 07:51 PM

There is an error in this article.  Deco 969 is not the tallest building built in Downtown since the Omni Hotel in 2009.  The Frost Tower, which opened in 2018 is 368 feet tall.  Deco 969 is 315 feet.  The only way this works is if you go by floors and not actual height.

#799 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 07:14 AM

A Trader Joe's or Royal Blue Grocery, 

Anybody know the population size a small downtown grocer is expected to serve, versus a large suburban grocer? It would be interesting to compare that figure to the Fort Worth downtown population to see if it's reached a tipping point where opening a small downtown grocer makes sense. This website states there are 27,000 people living downtown but I don't know if it's accurate. 

#800 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 07:57 AM

A Trader Joe's or Royal Blue Grocery, 

Anybody know the population size a small downtown grocer is expected to serve, versus a large suburban grocer? It would be interesting to compare that figure to the Fort Worth downtown population to see if it's reached a tipping point where opening a small downtown grocer makes sense. This website states there are 27,000 people living downtown but I don't know if it's accurate. 

DFWI uses US Census data and in their 2021-2022 Annual Report, shows 8,685 residents live in downtown.

https://issuu.com/do...od22_webfile/26 (Page 24, bottom)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users