• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

The City Council has approved funding for renovation of the Will Rogers (Pioneer) Tower, as reported in FWBP.  What I find particularly remarkable is a proposal to use projection mapping on the Tower.  If I recall, some of us in the Forum were thinking the city might demolish the Tower.

http://www.fortworth...699a8aba17.html

[P.S.  Sorry, I didn't know this was discussed in another thread]

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:54 AM

Some of us on the forum have been concerned over the last several years regarding the future of the Will Rogers Complex.  When the arena was first talked about in the planning stages, there was no direction given as to what was going to happen to Will Rogers after the arena was completed.  When you have a building that is not locally designated as a Historic & Cultural Landmark, as is Will Rogers, the buildings could have been torn down quite easily.  Granted, public opinion would probably have some influence on what will eventually happen, but a future City Council could ignore that public opinion, if they wished.  With the City of Fort Worth now starting to invest money into the Pioneer Tower, it probably won't be a stretch to see some rehabilitation work done on the Auditorium and Coliseum in the future.  The City Council should step up to the plate and do the right thing and designate their own property as a City of Fort Worth Historic & Cultural Landmark.  This not only goes for the three buildings at Will Rogers, but also other city owned historic properties.

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

Some of us on the forum have been concerned over the last several years regarding the future of the Will Rogers Complex. ....The City Council should step up to the plate and do the right thing and designate their own property as a City of Fort Worth Historic & Cultural Landmark.  This not only goes for the three buildings at Will Rogers, but also other city owned historic properties.

Oh yeah, tearing down the Tower would be like touching a "third rail".

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

Preservationists also want the Auditorium and the Coliseum to be saved.  The whole complex is worthy of designation.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

This ship has sailed, but developing a long-term plan for funding the rehab of the WRC and the replacement of the convention center arena should have been a part of the Dickies Arena plan.  I get not wanting to go to the voters with a billion dollar plan, but a little forethought would have been smart.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:28 PM

More deets from newest city council agenda

SUBJECT: 

Adopt Appropriation Ordinance in the Amount of $1,500,000.00 Increasing Estimated Receipts and Appropriations in the Culture & Tourism DFW Revenue Share Capital Fund for the Rehabilitation of the Pioneer Tower at the Will Rogers Memorial Center (COUNCIL DISTRICT 7)

RECOMMENDATION:
It is recommended that the City Council adopt the attached appropriation ordinance in the amount of $1,500,000.00 increasing estimated receipts and appropriations in the Culture & Tourism DFW Revenue Share Capital Fund for the rehabilitation of the Pioneer Tower at the Will Rogers Memorial Center.

DISCUSSION:
The purpose of this M&C is to appropriate $1,500,000.00 for the design and construction associated with the rehabilitation of the Pioneer Tower at the Will Rogers Memorial Center.  On June 12, 2018 the City Council authorized execution of an architectural services agreement with Elements of Architecture, Inc., in an amount not to exceed $140,922.00, for the rehabilitation of the Pioneer Tower at the Will Rogers Memorial Center (M&C C-28724).

This work is intended to be completed before the opening of the new Dickies Arena in November of 2019. In order to meet this aggressive schedule, staff has advertised and conducted a competitive selection process to select a Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) contractor to assist in the design phase and carry through to the construction phase and work with Elements of Architecture.  Staff has administratively executed a contract with HM & MF, Ltd., d/b/a Muckleroy & Falls for design phase services and a recommendation to award construction services will be brought to City Council. 

This M&C does not request approval of a contract with a business entity.

#7 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

I was at the Stock Show Saturday and noticed a display with the upgrades to tower. I don’t know what happened to the photo I took of the information board but do have the other two photos I took.

81-D39-A37-960-E-40-FA-9-BB0-D9-B8-BB33-
44162303-6470-482-B-9101-9-F75070-E9458.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for sharing. City is saying it will be complete in October.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

The presentation to City Council today showed a photograph of the mock-up panel at night with the multi-colored LEDs inside.

#10 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:28 PM

This will be very cool.

#11 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:54 AM

Recently I noticed scaffolding rising up about half way on the North Side of the Tower. Really glad this iconic FW structure is getting the attention it deserves.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

It deserves to be illuminated year round.

#13 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

It deserves to be illuminated year round.

I completely agree.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

The crown on the Pioneer Tower is on full display and it looks at sharp! Ill try and snap some photos tomorrow. Anybody know when the rest of the scaffolding is set to come down?

Was the crown itself illuminated?

#15 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:14 AM

I only saw it during daytime. Was it in the plans?

#16 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

The crown on the Pioneer Tower is on full display and it looks at sharp! Ill try and snap some photos tomorrow. Anybody know when the rest of the scaffolding is set to come down?

Was the crown itself illuminated?

I know there has been a light on top of the crown for a while now and it has been on several times since the scaffolding has gone up.  Is that what you mean by illuminated?

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

I did go by there at lunch today and I captured the photograph below.  As for the lighting, rriojas71's observations have been correct.  From time to time, I have seen the beacon on the very top of the tower turned on while the restoration was taking place.  That was a part of the original lighting scheme that I have seen through renderings and old photographs.  There have always been 4 Art Deco styles lanterns in the upper corners of the tower that have been illuminated when the Stock Show was occurring along with the beacon.  Other lighting that has been shown in old photos were uplights from the roof shining on the tower.  Finally, the lighting element that has not been seen for a long time were the lights inside the glass block panels that ran up the center of all four sides of the tower.  Installing new lighting and replacing the damaged glass block was a part of the restoration project.  Also planned for this lighting scheme is to project images on the faces of the tower.  Other than the beacon on top, I have not seen anything else illuminated during the restoration process.

48678695993_2c48792429_k.jpgWill Rogers Pioneer Tower Scaffolding Coming Down by jtrobert, on Flickr

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:39 PM

Nice catch with the helicopter overhead.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:50 PM

That was purely by accident.  Thanks, anyway.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

I would have never guessed it was an accident since it's lined up almost perfect with the tower.

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

Same here, but I took it with my cell phone, and it is sometimes very hard to see what you are taking in bright sunlight.

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

Yes, an illuminate crown; and the times when I have seen it lighted, the tower becomes magical.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

It sounds as if the tower needs a bit more work. 

During the process of rehabilitation, unforeseen conditions have been identified necessitating additional repairs to ensure the integrity of the structure. Additionally, extended life treatments are being recommended including repointing & sealing of the masonry to preserve the longevity of the structure and avoid future maintenance costs. Lastly, structurally related masonry enhancements are proposed that will enable a consistent exterior elevational view of the historic structures and re-establish the original luster of the interior terrazzo within the main Coliseum entry and hallway. Both these treatments will extend the life of the facility and reduce ongoing maintenance costs. Infrastructure related work on the tower will include the replacement of the limestone band (which was determined to be structurally unsound) and the lower glass blocks on the north side of the tower; and repointing stone joints on the north elevation of the Auditorium and north & east elevations of the Coliseum to address deterioration and extend the life of the building. The work also includes the replacement of roofs & restoration of windows and cleaning & sealing of the two (2) original ticket booths; and repairing the roof, replacement of failing cast stones and cleaning, sealing and repairing the brick on the Visitors Center. Total cost for the proposed additional work amounts to $725,505.

https://fortworthgov...C4-4CA219D3B9AA

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

The City Council has approved doing more work on the tower.  Even with the additional work, the contractor is still on schedule to light the building again on November 6.

http://www.fortworth...80e100d2ef.html

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

Another fine freelance report by Rick Mauch; He would make an excellent speaker at a Monthly Forum Meeting.

#26 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

"Zavala said there will also be annual inspections henceforth.

"We're going to make sure going forward that we look at this structure and address things as they come up rather than every 80 years," he said."

The next time Fort Worth does this with any public property will be the first time. Now that we've got this Tower fixed, lets turn attention to Heritage Park please.

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Zavala's quote about addressing these issues every 80 years is part of the reason why preservation groups have been complaining to the city about Will Rogers (Heritage Park Plaza and other structures). 

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:51 AM

More scaffolding is coming down from the tower.  I was going to take a picture this afternoon, but was not allowed to stop on the drive. 

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

Given recent news about more structural work being needed I'm surprised the scaffolding is coming down already.

#30 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

Given recent news about more structural work being needed I'm surprised the scaffolding is coming down already.

I can only assume that it is because it is interior work that is needed

#31 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:45 PM

As of today, most of the scaffolding has been removed.  Austin55 has posted some nice photos of the tower on his social media pages, but he did not post them here.  I took a few overall, but I decided to capture for the forum a shot of the auditorium and the restored tower together.  I will also post some overall views of the tower.

48772006798_5252c1bee7_h.jpgwillrogers-09-21-19 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Here's more of an overall photo of the tower.

48772045163_cdf1828aa5_h.jpgwillrogers-tower by jtrobert, on Flickr

#33 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:44 PM

Hi John.  Love your photos of the tower.  I'm coming up there soon and will try some pics with my Fuji.  But if you have any pics of the restored, and lit, Pioneer Tower when it gets lit, much appreciated.  Very cool and exciting from an architecture standpoint...!

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

Ramjet, thanks.  I will most likely be at the lighting ceremony on November 6.  However, if they do any testing, I might be able to get some "early" shots.  It just depends on if I will be at the right place at the right time. 

#35 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

As a child I was always enamored with this building.  I remember going on a field trip to the Fat Stock Show, which is what I always called it growing up, and I asked my teacher what that building was.  I guess that was the beginnings of my obsession with high rises and tall structures which eventually led me to my interest in Urban Planning and Development.

I am so happy to see it getting a much needed facelift and returning it to the beloved jewel of our city.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

I had a meeting today and I drove back to the office westbound on I-30.  The tower really "pops" now since it has been cleaned and the scaffolding has been removed.  The tower is the tallest "building" outside of Downtown and is 208-209 feet tall. 

#37 pilgrim

pilgrim

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

Is there an observation deck in this tower? 

I really hope a future skyscraper in downtown Fort Worth draws inspiration from this classical/Art Deco-styled building.  I really wouldn't mind if it was practically copied but scaled up and out for office or mixed use and rising four times the height of this gem.

I was looking at the Williams Tower in Houston the other day and I would swear Phillip Johnson took elements of Pioneer Tower and used them in Williams Tower.

#38 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

When I moved here from Houston, sometimes Id see Pioneer Tower out of the corner of my eye and forget where I was for a second and think it was Williams Tower. I can definitely see what you mean.

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

There is not an observation deck in the tower.  It is incredibly small up at the top and the only access is by narrow stairways or ladders.  When it was designed in 1936, it was intended to be only a monument and a landmark.  I do see shades of Art Deco Architecture in the Williams Tower in Houston.  However, I can't say that Will Rogers influenced Philip Johnson.  There is certainly that possibility because Johnson designed the original building and all of the addition to the Amon Carter Museum.  He also designed the Water Gardens which opened before the Williams Tower.  I could easily see that the Pioneer Tower influenced David Schwarz more than Philip Johnson.

#40 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

Is there an observation deck in this tower? 

I really hope a future skyscraper in downtown Fort Worth draws inspiration from this classical/Art Deco-styled building.  I really wouldn't mind if it was practically copied but scaled up and out for office or mixed use and rising four times the height of this gem.

I was looking at the Williams Tower in Houston the other day and I would swear Phillip Johnson took elements of Pioneer Tower and used them in Williams Tower.

I would love for that to come to fruition

#41 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

There is not an observation deck in the tower.  It is incredibly small up at the top and the only access is by narrow stairways or ladders.  When it was designed in 1936, it was intended to be only a monument and a landmark.  I do see shades of Art Deco Architecture in the Williams Tower in Houston.  However, I can't say that Will Rogers influenced Philip Johnson.  There is certainly that possibility because Johnson designed the original building and all of the addition to the Amon Carter Museum.  He also designed the Water Gardens which opened before the Williams Tower.  I could easily see that the Pioneer Tower influenced David Schwarz more than Philip Johnson.

I have always thought the two looked alike.

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

The lights were tested this week and it has been posted on Will Rogers Memorial Center's Social Media pages.  I shared it on this page's Facebook and Twitter pages and I thought I would provide a link here:

https://www.facebook...thArchitecture/

#43 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

IMO, that color scheme is not very flattering.  I hope that WRMC settles on a light scheme that is not one of a stomach churning kaleidoscope...eek

https://www.google.c...wiz.V0Y0G1y2VPw

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

This is all a part of the testing of multi-colored LED lighting.  Do you remember the "disco" testing that was done at Sundance Square when those buildings were being converted to the new technology? 

I'm sure the management at Will Rogers will settle on white for most events and a uniform solid color for special events. 

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

One would certainly hope so.

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:06 PM

One would certainly hope so.

John and I were onba facebook page talking about that (I posted the video) and a couple people overreacted to the testing.

More than likely, it'll be a basic uniform white... Or blue, from what I've seen at Dickies and the top of Pioneer Tower.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

When they were testing the lighting at the Dickies Arena, it was doing a changing multi-color routine.  Since then, when I have been by there at night, the lights have been one color, or just white.  Jeriat, you have seen it in blue.  Every time I have been by Will Rogers at night, it has been dark.

#48 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 05:28 PM

.... Since then, when I have been by there at night, the lights have been one color, or just white.....

A simple restoration to its original look is the best outcome.  Cleaning the facade, replacing the glass and illuminating it in soft white back lights will keep it within the sensitive and aesthetic guidelines of the Cultural District. 

#49 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

Rename, I was referring to the Dickies Arena being one color when I have been by there after testing.  I have not seen the Pioneer Tower illuminated since the scaffolding has been mostly removed.

#50 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

I myself am happy that they had the foresight to invest in a pixel-mappable lighting system.  These days the cost is not meaningfully more than whole-strip lighting.  I understand how the tests could be startling, but by implementing this, they are providing the maximum flexibility for many years to come.  It is always easy to replicate the look of simple lighting with this technology, while had they put in something more basic, it could never do something more complex.

It is a canvas, and what is video mapped onto the canvas is up to people who understand what they are trying to convey.  That can be subtle or flamboyant.

The fact is that we want this to be functional into the future, and the expectations of what lighting is supposed to be is changing -- jut look at the buildings in Dallas.

We have a choice:  we can stow away the building as an artifact of history and freeze it in time, or we can treat it as a living part of our community that reinvents itself and stays revenant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users