#1 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

Does any one know if they rent out the Farrington Field parking lot for events?

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#2 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:48 PM

I have found all the info I needed thanks
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

...and the amount of cars in the area....I was starting to brainstorm on solutions and one literally popped into view as I was trying to turn onto Lancaster.

The solution. The Farrington Field Parking lot

....The city would just need to create better crosswalks for pedestrians to make it safe, but I think it may be a quick and immediate fix. maybe even build a parking garage with a pedestrian bridge across Lancaster from the garage and the garage could include some ground floor retail along Lancaster.

Yes, your brainstorming would actually make sense, except that one, Farrington Field is the property of FWISD; and two, more problematic is that Farrington Field may have in its hand over to FWISD, some restrictions that bar the property from being used beyond any school related purposes.

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

I feel like I walked into a room in the middle of a conversation.

My blog: Doohickie

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Farrington is used for non-school related event parking during the Stock Show and Concerts in the Garden. I've also parked in the east end of the lot for a walk in Trinity Park.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

I parked there most of the day yesterday while in W7th. There was a couple of other cars. Never had a problem.

I do wish the site could be put to better use eventually.

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

Actually, I have never read the terms that govern the use of the land donated for Farrington Field. I was making this assertion based upon some comments earlier made in the Forum when FF was being considered as a possible home for a minor league soccer team.  As I recall, the sell or use of alcohol beverages at FF are prohibited.  Probably prohibited too is any usage of the property for private or commercial purposes. A pay-for-use garage/surface parking on school property would likely be prohibited.

I suspect there is an exclusion for City of Fort Worth sanctioned activity such as events held at the city-owned WRMC, the Parks Department, city sanctioned parades, etc. The truth is, is that I don't actually know.

All that said, I do think FWISD could benefit from revenues generated at FF; however, there could also be some liabilities that  FWISD would just rather not have to deal with.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:56 AM

......I do wish the site could be put to better use eventually.

Market forces and the gradual decline in prep football because of potential sport injuries will both eventually cause a rethink by FWISD as to what to be done with such a valuable piece of real estate.  DISD solved a similar situation when it decided to sell its football real estate that eventually was developed into the InfoMart along Stemmons Freeway.  The stadium was demolished.

An excellent opportunity to sell/lease the FF stadium to the local soccer team may have already passed for FWISD.  The soccer team is looking to partner with TWU to build a stadium in Poly. 

How long can the status quo be sustained by FWISD?  It would be my hope that FF be preserved and have new kinds of use in some manner.  It seems to me that the status quo has its own costs. 

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

Is Billingsley Field House on the southeast corner of the property still in use? It looked abandoned the last time I was near it and it was pretty run down 20+ years ago. Even so, it had a lot of charm back then: permanent bleachers that ran floor to ceiling on both sides, dugout bench areas, a ceiling that looked a little like an airplane hangar.  It could be redeveloped as a nice rec center or an event venue.  

Edit: a Google search answered my question - a current schedule of basketball games and some photos of the interior where it looks like it's in nice condition.

#10 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

Farrington is used for non-school related event parking during the Stock Show and Concerts in the Garden. I've also parked in the east end of the lot for a walk in Trinity Park.

Seeing the lot used for Stock Show parking is what sparked the idea of using it for overflow parking for W. 7th. I understand what everybody is saying about school usage issues but isn't this something the city could do just to ease congestion in the area? They don't have to charge anything, just make it available.

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Oh I think you absolutely do charge for it.  On one hand to cover the costs of maintaining it.  And the other to get people used to the idea that free parking in popular, high traffic, urban areas is not the norm.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

Excellent decision.  Makes sense for both FWISD and TWU.

I have been perplexed by the way that FWISD has allowed this prominently located property to be used solely for public school events.

FWISD should take as its model, Frisco ISD,  where they have integrated both professional and preparatory events in the same venue. 

Now, coordinate integrate the events at Farrington Field to include not only high school events and the collegiate sports, but negotiate with the pro soccer team to make FF their home.  All of the added activities will help and be welcomed by the businesses the West Seventh Street Corridor.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Farrington Field, and FWISD need an 800 car parking garage. Such a facility would be great benefit to the eating/shopping business in the immediate area.  From the revenue alone, the FWISD could be able to a large chunk of its intramural sport budget.

FWISD, will soon, if not already, has a decision to make about this site.

Develop this site!

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

The old VLK proposal for the STEM school (being built at Butler now) was perfect. I wish it could be reintroduced somehow.

http://www.vlkarchit...use-development

#15 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

Farrington Field, and FWISD need an 800 car parking garage. Such a facility would be great benefit to the eating/shopping business in the immediate area.  From the revenue alone, the FWISD could be able to a large chunk of its intramural sport budget.

FWISD, will soon, if not already, has a decision to make about this site.

Develop this site!

This is exactly the idea I mentioned a couple of months back as we were discussing the parking issues with W 7th.... I actually said then and believe now, that a parking garage, possibly with ground floor retail, is exactly what FF need to develop the land successfully... remove a lot of the surface parking and possibly create a green space some mutli-use businesses along Foch St

#16 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

Might not be long for this world,

https://www.star-tel...e237294369.html

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:06 AM

Sounds like the plans are to get higher and more diverse use out of the FF without complete abandonment.  It will be in great hands under the guidance of Bennett, Benner & Partners.

Fort Worth Business Press  - http://www.fortworth...a370a1948a.html

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

Here is an article from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram where I was interviewed at length by Luke Ranker.

https://www.star-tel...e237662819.html

#19 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not but decided I would just do it here .... I am a bit surprised this didnt already have a thread. What I have read so far is it will take two new stadiums to pick up what needs are currently being met by FF. Why not pour about 1/3 of that money in to FF and have a state of the art facility and us our tax money to build the new offices somewhere else with the other 2/3rds, geee what a savings in tax money we would have as well as saving a Historic Structure? 

https://www.star-tel...e237340954.html

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

Arch-image, there was a main thread of the new proposed changes to Farrington Field and the minor thread about the parking lot where you posted.  I merged the two threads together and they now reside under the Topic of "Farrington Field" in the "Public and Institutional" Section.

#21 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:12 AM

Farrington's grandson says a deed restriction reverts the property back to the previous owner if the school district tries to sell it. https://www.star-tel...=mainstage_lead

#22 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:05 PM

Farrington's grandson says a deed restriction reverts the property back to the previous owner if the school district tries to sell it. https://www.star-tel...=mainstage_lead

Interesting.  That is a big deal.  Maybe this will make them re-imagine Farrington Field instead of demolishing it.

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

Interesting.  That is a big deal.  Maybe this will make them re-imagine Farrington Field instead of demolishing it.

giphy.gif

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out because I have been told that the issues regarding the deed restrictions have already been settled.

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 03:58 PM

The stadium and the Billingsley Feildhouse have been nominated to the NRHP. 

https://www.thc.texa...d SBR Draft.pdf

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 04:23 PM

Yes, they have.  Several preservationists have been involved in this since February.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 04:24 PM

I notice your name many times in the document!

This brings up many questions. Is FWISD still trying to sell the site? How will the nomination impact development of the site if it does sell?

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 04:38 PM

Susan Kline, several from Historic Fort Worth, Evan Farrington, and I all toured Farrington Field back in February.  I also toured the Billingsley Field House with HFW a few years back. Both of these visits started the process to nominate both buildings to the National Register of Historic Places.  In our research, we have found out that anyone can nominate a Public Building for designation to the National Register and for the nomination to go through the process.  This is the only level of designation where this is possible. 

I wanted to make a note here.  Nominations from the public could be made for other levels of designation, because the forms are available online, but at those levels, the preservation staff are not required to do anything with them. 

#29 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:41 PM

The stadium and the Billingsley Feildhouse have been nominated to the NRHP. 

https://www.thc.texa...d SBR Draft.pdf

So this is why there's no real push to renovate this to modern standards? 

7fwPZnE.png

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:54 PM

Jeriat, I doubt that the nomination has anything to do with no push to renovate the stadium to modern standards.  The nomination process has only been going on since February, and the lack of renovation to it has been ongoing long before that.   Also, even if approved, this still would not necessarily hamper any upgrading to it. 

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:42 AM

There's no push to renovate because the school district is trying to unload it.  

#32 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:23 AM

There's no push to renovate because the school district is trying to unload it.  

I would think that wouldn't matter and it would still be renovated, regardless.

I was just wondering why no one bought it yet.

7fwPZnE.png

#33 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

It's a tricky redevelopment project.  Not many people in the market for a football stadium.

#34 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:14 AM

It's a tricky redevelopment project.  Not many people in the market for a football stadium.

Well . . . someone is . . . 

7fwPZnE.png

#35 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

There's not room at Farrington to build what they want and they can likely build new cheaper than remodel Farrington.  And Keller ISD won't share the cost with them at Farrington.

#36 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:43 AM

There's not room at Farrington to build what they want and they can likely build new cheaper than remodel Farrington.  And Keller ISD won't share the cost with them at Farrington.

I just want the stadium to be Farrington... they can keep the rest of what they're planning north of 820. 

7fwPZnE.png

#37 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 12:22 PM

is someone looking for a stadium or a handout of tax-payer money? 

#38 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:13 PM

is someone looking for a stadium or a handout of tax-payer money? 

yes-snowboards-logo.1432178183.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#39 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:08 AM

Since I was just fantasizing about development flowing outward from West 7th: If Farrington has to stay put as a stadium, can the area be developed by building a Farrington parking structure west of my red line and freeing up everything to its east for commercial / residential? Are the two existing structures to its east in-use? Is that an active frack pad?

Own86wp.jpg

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:20 AM

The structure on the southeast corner of the parking lot is the Billingsley Field House.  It is also being nominated to the National Register of Historic Places.  Preservationists are trying to do everything they can to preserve the FWISD historic athletic facilities. 

I believe the fracking pad is active.  The building to the south of that pad, is where the "Mothers" neon sign/art sculpture is located. 

To the south of all of this is the Van Zandt Cottage, which is designated as a City of Fort Worth Historic & Cultural Landmark, and is legally protected against demolition.

#41 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

This coming Monday is the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission Meeting at 2 PM.  A request is being made for the Landmarks Commission to give a recommendation for the nomination of Farrington Field to the National Register of Historic Places.  Also, on the agenda is the request to designate 1602 NW 25th as a Historic & Cultural Landmark.  There are several other cases on the agenda, but these are the two highest profile ones.   Below is a link to the agenda.  Unfortunately, I have not received my packet, so I can't post details right now.

https://www.fortwort...ting-agenda.pdf

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:22 PM

The Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission voted unanimously on Monday to recommend to the Texas Historical Commission they approve the application for Farrington Field and Billingsley Fieldhouse to be accepted into the National Register of Historic Places. 

#43 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:44 PM

Is the consequence of acceptance into the National Register of Historic Places that the Field and the Fieldhouse may not be demolished, but that other development can occur around them (such as in the parking lot area in my image up in post #39)?

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

Yes, new development can occur around them.  The designation does not stop new development on the same piece of property.  I think I have mentioned this before.  National Register designation does not even stop demolition.  This designation is primarily ceremonial, but can come to give some protection if tax credits are involved.  Do demolish a building or structure listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a developer or FWISD would file a notice of demolition to the Texas Historical Commission, who act as stewards for the United States Park Service (managers of listed properties).  The THC would probably write a letter back advising against demolition and to try to find a way to save the structures.  That would probably be as far as the process would go.  The owner or developer would then be able to demolish the structures.  The only historic designation that legally protects a building against demolition is the one at the local level. 

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:08 AM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has picked up on the National Register Nomination going before the Texas Historical Commission's State Board of Review on Saturday.  I realize most of you can't read Star-Telegram articles, but there isn't really anything new in it that I haven't discussed in this thread.  The reporter does interview Jerre Tracy, the Executive Director of Historic Fort Worth and Evan Farrington, the grandson of the educator that the stadium is named after.  As I said earlier, I have been working on this project with Historic Fort Worth since February of 2020.  Below is the link to the article:

https://www.star-tel...e254287583.html

#46 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:13 AM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has picked up on the National Register Nomination going before the Texas Historical Commission's State Board of Review on Saturday.  I realize most of you can't read Star-Telegram articles, but there isn't really anything new in it that I haven't discussed in this thread.  The reporter does interview Jerre Tracy, the Executive Director of Historic Fort Worth and Evan Farrington, the grandson of the educator that the stadium is named after.  As I said earlier, I have been working on this project with Historic Fort Worth since February of 2020.  Below is the link to the article:

https://www.star-tel...e254287583.html

I was able to read the article.  Thanks for sharing the link.

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:15 AM

You are welcome.

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:04 PM

If anyone is interested in watching the Texas Historical Commission's State Board of Review Meeting online, here's the link to the website.  If you follow the procedures listed on the site, you will be allowed to view the meeting.

https://www.thc.texas.gov/sbrmeeting

#49 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:51 AM

State Board of Review approves Farrington Field for National Register of Historic Places

https://www.star-tel...mainstage_card4

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:31 AM

At the Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour, Farrington Field was brought up.  Several people there didn't think the facility was really worthy of this designation.  Many said there were a lot of memories at the field, but other than the main entrance, there wasn't much architecture.  A few stated the field takes up too much valuable real estate and the front entrance should be preserved to give the public an idea of what was there and then new development should occur behind it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users