• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:09 PM

Below is a posting I just saw on the Dallas Historical Society discussion board (http://www.dallashistory.org). I really hope something comes from this. There have been other efforts in the past towards this end and they never really seemed to get off the ground. Perhaps someone here might be able to offer them some constructive advice.

- - - - - - - - -

Re: Baker Hotel (Mineral Wells) Website

Posted By: Jeff & Dorothy Scoggin <peskypalians@aol.com>
Date: Monday, 21 June 2004, at 7:59 p.m.

In Response To: Baker Hotel (Mineral Wells) Website (Dismuke)

We are in the early stages of putting together a consortium to both secure and restore the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells. In order for this effort to succeed, the combined efforts of politicians, preservationists, and others will be needed. The Baker Hotel represents a by-gone era in Texas history, and is a statewide treasure. Anyone who has knowledge of how this effort can both move forward and succeed is encouraged to join us. It would truly be a shame to let this grand old lady, a true jewel at one time, be left to the vagrants and ghosthunters who currently violate her.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#2 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

<sarcasm>
fer cryin' out loud, blow a tunnel through that decrepit old eyesore!
</sarcasm>

hope they're able to not only save it but also put it to good use.

#3 UrbanLandscape

UrbanLandscape

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Chrisitianity | photography | digital arts | writing | fire | architecture | film

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:29 AM

I'd live there, if I had to be in Mineral Wells. And hey, there are people who have to be in Mineral Wells, you know...

#4 JimmyR

JimmyR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:48 PM

That would be absolutely fabulous if they can restore the Baker. Even in its delapidated state, it is still a beautiful building and certainly can be brought to use as something, perhaps as a mulituse facility with hotel rooms, office space and even penthouse suites. Not sure how the penthouse suites would go over with Mineral Wells, but I bet there could be something done with it.

And of course, her architect, once again, is non other than Fort Worth's Wyatt C Hedrick. It would be great to see another one of his buildings restored.

I have some pictures of the baker online which were taken during a very cloudy day which gave the building a greater 'erriness' http://www.oldhotels.net/hotels/baker/

~Jimmy~
Jimmy

#5 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:41 PM

I agree, restoration of the Baker would be fabulous! I grew up near Weatherford and have toured the inside of the Baker several times. It is a beautiful building with an interesting history.

I know one major reason that previous efforts have failed is the sheer cost. The building is in a terrible state of disrepair due to water leaks and damage by vandals over the years. Yet, the building is so solid that the demolition costs would be outrageous. An estimate about 10 years ago stated that it would cost around $1 million per floor to renovate.

#6 JimmyR

JimmyR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:40 AM

I just wanted to say that I'm a member of the Spirit of the Baker Yahoo email group, which is a small group of people that are interested in the preservation of the Baker. I shared the link to the posting in this forum concerning the "Possible" restoration of the Baker, and it was received with negativity because of the "blame that was placed on the wrong people" concerning vandilism. The article basically puts responsibility on Ghost Hunters for vandilism, when in fact, the city has had problems with teenagers breaking in and vandelising. There are several sites about the Ghosts of the Baker and they all treat the Baker with respect and not vandelizing anything. My intentions was not to provoke anyone, it was to 'excite' since it does mention possible restoration.

Below is a copy of the email I sent to the group. I felt embarrased since I shared the link within the Forum and so I didn't want the forum to receive any negitivity. I made it clear that the article was from an outside source.

~Jimmy~

SPIRIT OF THE BAKER Group Post:
I have been out of town for a few days, and my mail box was full so I
was anxious to see how people felt about the possible restoration of the
Baker, however I didn't realize that post would offend some people from
that link I sent. I was excited about possible restoration of the
building I wanted to share that. I didn't realize it would provide more
negative feedback than positive. I would like to make a statement that
the operators and members of the Fort Worth Forum
http://www.fortworth...ture.com/forum/ did not make such a comment,
it was posted from an article from an outside source.

I sincerely apologize for any feathers that may have been ruffled and on
future occasions I will be more 'descreet' and will just copy and paste
anything I might find and not reveal the source. I agree that the
vandilism comes from teenagers and others with bad inentions, and I know
Ghost Hunters and those that share the historical interest in the Baker
do not share in desecration of the building.

Please do not take offense to this post, its just I'm embarrased and
suprised the 'negative' comments were focused more on than the
'positive' when I just shared the link because of the "good" aspect of
the posting about the Possible Baker Restoration on the Forum. I do not
want the FW Forum to receive bad light in something that was just quoted
from a different source.

Concerning the article placing the "blame" on the wrong people, maybe
those that are offended should find out the source of the article, who
wrote it (probably some local paper or magazine) and submit concerns to
the originator.

Best Wishes,
Jimmy
Jimmy

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:13 PM

Jimmy, I hadn't responded because I haven't contacted the people that I know who might be able to assist. I have been much busier than I like over the last couple of weeks.

I also regret that there was some misinformation out there regarding the building and vandalism.

The building is a jewel and should be preserved. It is one of my favorite buildings in the outlying cities. I will do what I can to see if I can hook the group in Mineral Wells up with some preservationists here to see if we can get this project moving along.

#8 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:41 PM

Below is a copy of the email I sent to the group.  I felt embarrased since I shared the link within the Forum and so I didn't want the forum to receive any negitivity.  I made it clear that the article was from an outside source. 

The posting that I copied from the DHS forum basically turned into a rather negative thread. I think it was one of those cases where two groups of people with good intentions misunderstood each other's motives. You can read the thread at: http://www.dallashis...g.pl?read=22170 and get an idea of exactly what Jimmy is talking about regarding the hard feelings.

(To follow the thread, you will have to scroll down quite a ways until you get to the entries entitled "Baker Hotel Website." The subject header of the currently displayed posting is in black and all you need do to follow the thread is click on the subsequent ones. I recommend this forum to anyone who has an interest in the history of the eastern side of the Metroplex - and, as this thread demonstrates, attention is occasionally directed westward.)
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#9 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:53 PM

Wow! Ms. Tidwell was awfully touchy, but it sounds like she has been severely mishandled in the past by the parties involved.
As a child I attended a convention at the Baker. The Mazda Wankel Rotary Engine was being unveiled in the lobby. I mostly remember the elevator attendant allowing me to run the elevator half the night.
I'd love to see it restored. Isn't that what TIFs are really for?

#10 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:52 PM

Upon reflection,4 to4 clarifyh4!!!4 4 mykeyhboard4 yhas-developed-a-sudden-problem!-to-clarifyh-I-meant-parties-only-in-Mineral-Wells-not-forum-or-web-related. :huh:

#11 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 04:23 PM

Keyboards working again, probably condensation from my iced tea dried out.
To clarify, I read all the DHS forum postings, and hope to avoid the miscommunications that can too easily occur in short, chatty posts.
So, it seems Ms. Tidwell has had some bad experiences in her efforts to preserve the Baker, and is touchy about it. She is obviously dedicated, and would be a valuable resource that anyone (who wishes to help) would be wise to include.

#12 Debbie Danilow

Debbie Danilow

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:40 PM

Jimmy, I hadn't responded because I haven't contacted the people that I know who might be able to assist.  I have been much busier than I like over the last couple of weeks. 

I also regret that there was some misinformation out there regarding the building and vandalism. 

The building is a jewel and should be preserved.  It is one of my favorite buildings in the outlying cities.  I will do what I can to see if I can hook the group in Mineral Wells up with some preservationists here to see if we can get this project moving along.

View Post

I was born at the Nazareth Hospital a few blocks from here. This site should be preserved and restored. I have interested parties with funding. Let me know.
Debbie Danilow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users