12 replies to this topic

#1 eastsider

eastsider

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hey I just found this forum and I have one question. Is the East Fort Worth ignored here too?? I can hardly find anything about my part of town. The last thing I read about the eastside was an article a month ago about Woodhaven...in the Dallas Morning News!!! What up with that?

#2 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, eastsider.

I know there are posts about the east side. If Poly/TWU is considered part of the east side, then there was a post less then three hours ago.

I wouldn't say the east side ignored so much as under-represented. If it makes you feel better, there are other parts of the Fort that aren't addressed that frequently, either.

A lot of the focus has been on downtown, the near south, the Cultural District, and all of that - probably because the more frequent posters have primarily been more focused in those areas. And, of course, many of the discussions apply to the whole city (gas drilling, for instance).

There are members here who live in or grew up in east Fort Worth and they have talked about their experiences there. Now that you're here, post up. It's up to people like you who know what's going on in that part of town to keep us all informed.

#3 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

I can't report on Eastside because I don't drive through there very often. There are also not a bunch of construction projects over there. I worked on a McDonalds on Meadowbrook and I-820 last year and I am happy to report that the construction is finished. I was suprised to see it was a combo McDonalds/Gas Station because I never really looked at the plans, just staked the building corners and pier locations that someone else had calc'd.

You got some construction info to add, restaurants to review or hot topics to discuss, I'm all ears. This is a self-report website and we can't cover every neighborhood by ourselves so your insight is very welcome.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#4 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

First, traditionally the East Side does not include Poly. That's Southeast. I have never liked the tag "East Side" any more than "West Side" because I think we should specifically state the neighborhood name. I hate that the media reports that something concerns or occured on the 'East Side'. For the media, that could mean Poly, Meadowbrook, Sagimore Hill, Stop Six, White Lake Hills, Woodhaven, Eastern Hills, Handley, Ederville, Ryanwood, Carol Oaks, Cooke's Meadow, John T. White, Bentley Village or Eastchase. I grew up in Ryanwood (60's) and the local media and Fort Worth politicos have always pandered to those areas west of downtown. Money doesn't talk, it swears.

#5 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

AndyN,
There may not be much in the way of commercial building but there has been a bunch of middle income residential building from Carol Oaks east to Eastchase and in the John T. White area in the past 5 years. When I was growing up, we heard predictions that east Ft. Worth would seamlessly connect someday with Arlington and that all our rural, wooded land would vanish. Thought that might occur in the 80's until the real estate/S&L bust. About to be reality in the next 20 years, sadly.

#6 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (Phil Phillips @ Aug 11 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AndyN,
There may not be much in the way of commercial building but there has been a bunch of middle income residential building from Carol Oaks east to Eastchase and in the John T. White area in the past 5 years. When I was growing up, we heard predictions that east Ft. Worth would seamlessly connect someday with Arlington and that all our rural, wooded land would vanish. Thought that might occur in the 80's until the real estate/S&L bust. About to be reality in the next 20 years, sadly.

Actually, you're right. Now that I think about it, I have done a few residential subdivisions over there. I suppose I was thinking more southeast than east (although the area referred to is still nebulous).
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

Beg pardon, but technically the East Side is everything east of Sycamore Creek.

Polytechnic is very much part of the East Side. Always has been.

Historically, Fort Worth has 5 "sides" separated by rivers and creeks -- north, east, west, south and Riverside.

It has only been recently that people invented a "southwest side" or "southeast side," simply because they don't want their neighborhoods called the south or east side.

#8 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:23 AM

I lived in the Butler Projects for 4 years as a child
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#9 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 06:01 AM

Long Star-Telegram report about the east side (Handley, Woodhaven, Meadowbrook, etc) and their challenges getting new development.
East Fort Worth wants more shops and restaurants. Developers say they need more people

#10 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 07:32 PM

Record PV23-00154: 
Commercial Razing Permit
Record Status: Plan Review

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

Project Description:
6801 Church St.
Demolish 2 story building down to dirt. Remove piers 4' below existing grade. Load, transport and legally dispose of resultant debris. Remove sidewalks as noted on site plan.

Owner:
Rush Creek Baptist Church

I think it is this structure being demo'd:
https://goo.gl/maps/YDV4Xg5wFrEPkrur6

vu6shRk.png

That was Handley Baptist Church before the current name. That was the last stop when I was “bused” to M M Walton Elementary in the second grade. For all the uproar over busing, that was a favorite year in my memory. End of digression…

Is the main sanctuary building being demolished, or the annex building (or whatever it is) to the northwest?

#11 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 11:37 PM

Is the main sanctuary building being demolished, or the annex building (or whatever it is) to the northwest?

Looks like it is the tan building, not the sanctuary

#12 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 07:15 AM

My friend was also bussed to M.M. Walton and but said she hated it. Everyone picked in her, even tried skipping school once and hiding in the garage all day.

BTW, just verified, it is was 2nd grade, 1977.

She was about three years behind me.

#13 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:06 AM

I was also bussed to M.M. Walton in the second grade and William James in the sixth grade.  Hated them both.  Eastern Hills Elementary for kindergarten, first, and third through fifth.  Meadowbrook Middle for seventh and eighth, and the the mighty Hills for High School.  TCJC Northeast for two years then Wesleyan for three...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users