#1 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Now being a resident of the south end of Fort Worth, I find myself emminently qualified to quote its history... OK, maybe not, but an interesting bit of trivia - Lee Harvey Oswald lived at 2703 Mercedes St. in Fort Worth from about July to October of 1962, before moving on to his appointment with history. Looking at Google street view, it appears to be a nice house on the property now, but it was apparently a run down duplex at the time he lived there with his wife.
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#2 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Mercedes Avenue in Fort Worth, or Mercedes Street in Benbrook?

#3 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

Hmmm - I don't know the answer to that - what I read was "Mercedes Street in Fort Worth", but I'll have to check it out. The article talked about how it was within walking distance of the Montgomery Wards warehouse, but I suppose anything is "within walking distance" if you have enough energy!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

That would be 2703 Mercedes Ave., right by Montgomery Plaza. Currently a vacant lot with just an old driveway apron.
My blog: Doohickie

#5 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Thanks - that makes sense, and it would seem like kind of 'bad mojo' (or just good old superstition) to rebuild at that location.

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

Probably old superstition. But parts of the old Linwood neighorhood are ripe for commercial development. Incidentally, Maria Oswald lived for a few years near my old neighborhood in southwest Fort Worth not far from the old Benbrook Highway and Ridglea West elementary school. When I was a little kid I remember riding with my mother on the old Ridglea Shuttle (driver named Mr. Hood). I believe on one or two occasions I saw Oswald, a scrawny sullen-looking older kid wearing a white t-shirt, riding with his mother on the bus.

#7 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

Probably old superstition. But parts of the old Linwood neighorhood are ripe for commercial development. Incidentally, Maria Oswald lived for a few years near my old neighborhood in southwest Fort Worth not far from the old Benbrook Highway and Ridglea West elementary school. When I was a little kid I remember riding with my mother on the old Ridglea Shuttle (driver named Mr. Hood). I believe on one or two occasions I saw Oswald, a scrawny sullen-looking older kid wearing a white t-shirt, riding with his mother on the bus.

I think you mean Marguerite.

I know the house. It is much adulterated from sixty years ago, including spiky iron gates and a "no trespassing" sign.

#8 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

I lived at 2741 Mercedes Ave for 7 years. I was most likely the only youth on the block who new that trivia about Oswald
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#9 Flynnyrd

Flynnyrd

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Someone has been reading the new Stephen King novel...

#10 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

Ha ha! Busted! I wondered how long before someone noticed! :laugh: I've also noticed since my last post that when you leave the west side of the parking lot of Target on W 7th, you are looking right at the empty lot where this house sat, or at least it is the correct block and is Mercedes St...

#11 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:38 AM

I lived on Ewing ave. in Ridglea West a few years back and heard that Oswald also lived on that street at one time.

#12 gto_kent

gto_kent

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

I lived on Ewing ave. in Ridglea West a few years back and heard that Oswald also lived on that street at one time.

I can confirm this. My father grew up in that neighborhood and was one of Oswald's classmates in elementary school.  He was even interviewed by Life magazine after the assassination.  We drove down the street once, and he pointed out the house to me.

#13 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 22 November 2023 - 07:27 AM

I can confirm this. My father grew up in that neighborhood and was one of Oswald's classmates in elementary school.  He was even interviewed by Life magazine after the assassination.  We drove down the street once, and he pointed out the house to me.

Thought I would resurrect this thread in memory of the Kennedy assassination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users