26 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:04 AM

Just thought this was interesting and worth sharing, pretty big site (1.74 acres) on the West fringe of the Stockyards area. - https://visioncommer...nt-opportunity/

I think it'd be nice to see some sort of new construction with fitting architecture going into this area, maybe a small hotel or offices on upper floors with ground floor retail.

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:51 AM

When talking about the development around the Stockyards, I almost never think about west of Main.

That entire block could be good as mixed-use/office. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:19 AM

It would be an ideal location for a QT.

My blog: Doohickie

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

With a drive through bank.

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Storage Units.

My blog: Doohickie

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

Seriously, guys...if I were a developer I would seek venture capital for a high-rise hotel at this location.  I know that's a pretty ambitious proposition!

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

Seriously, guys...if I were a developer I would seek venture capital for a high-rise hotel at this location.  I know that's a pretty ambitious proposition!

As "height conscious" as the Northside is, you can forget about any kind of high rise around there, especially when the block is literally right next to some one story houses. This ain't Houston. 

I don't think you'll see anything more than 5 floors on that block. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:29 AM

I think 2-3 floors would be perfectly appropriate for the site given it's context. The proximity to homes does make it more challenging to design for the context for sure.

What I'd really like to see is some activation along the SE corner at N Houston and NW 24th street, would help continue the expansion of the Stockyards from being a one street district. 

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

I agree.  Anything taller than 4 stories is going to look way out of proportion for the area.  I know that this can often be an overstated concern, but anything too high rise might be problematic since that block is a mile and a half and just off center of the Meacham runway.  I say "might" since it's entirely possible planes are still at a pretty high altitude at that point.

#10 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

You forgot the highest possible use- pay parking lot!

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

The Stockyards Form Based Code restricts the height of a building on this block to 2-3 stories with one more floor given as a bonus when certain conditions are met.  The building is also limited to a total of 55' in height. 

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

Dumb question, I know, but is this in the area governed by the form based code?  Seems like I remember that the original proposed area was made smaller at some point.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

The Historic District was made as small as possible and I do believe the form based code district was reduced.  The entire block actually sits within two zones:  UR - Urban Residential and SY-TNX-55 - Stockyards Transition Neighbhorhood Mixed Use.  Urban Residential allows a 2 or 3 story building with the bonus of another floor.  The SY-TNX-55 has a 55' maximum height limit.  My description was brief, but I was sort of combining the the two zones together on the site.  The eastern half of the block has the 55' height limit, as it is in the Stockyards Form Based Code Area.  The western half of the block has the 2-3 story limit with a possibility of a bonus of a 4th floor. 

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

Makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation.

#15 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

I agree.  Anything taller than 4 stories is going to look way out of proportion for the area.  I know that this can often be an overstated concern, but anything too high rise might be problematic since that block is a mile and a half and just off center of the Meacham runway.  I say "might" since it's entirely possible planes are still at a pretty high altitude at that point.

Surprisingly when we built the Garden Inn near Parks Mall we were right over the freeway and almost in perfect alignment with the Airport and didn't have an issue going 6 floors. Biggest issue was people buzzing the site DURING construction to see how we were coming along I guess. 

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

The Parks Mall is around 14 miles from the west runways at DFW.  Again, I have no idea what the level of concern would be with this Stockyards site, but it is significantly closer to Meacham than the Parks Mall is to DFW.

#17 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

The hotel Arch is referring to is about a half mile north of the Arlington Airport runway:
https://maps.app.goo...7xJLgpivUNpoA79

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

The site is 1.4 miles from the end of Meacham's runway, and it is also east of the centerline of it.  I checked the city maps for the restricted building areas in alignment with the runway, and there are no restrictions at the site due to Meacham Field.  It appears that the actual zoning is what limits the height for this block.

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

The hotel Arch is referring to is about a half mile north of the Arlington Airport runway:
https://maps.app.goo...7xJLgpivUNpoA79

D'oh!  I wasn't even thinking about Arlington Airport.

#20 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:10 PM

Dont know what pricing they're asking for that site but I'll bet it will be hard to make the numbers work with 2 stories of buildings. 

Fort Worth needs to back off somewhat on the "no density near single family residential".   I recall some concept of a maximum height sloping away from residential as well, which, applicable here, would mean even lower densities nearest to the residential street.   

#21 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

Granted, the Stockyards itself is historical and should be restricted in height construction.  But these residential neighborhoods west of the Stockyards consist of a lot of substandard housing (I kinow, because I've represented a property owner in this area).  Urban revitalization is badly needed here.

When I made my comment I was thinking of marketability in the hospitality industry and its attractiveness in proximity to the Stockyards.  I am well aware of height restrictions in this area.  But, isn't it about time the planning/zoning people and council members started thinking in marketing terms as much as urban management?  No, this isn't Houston.  But what is needed here is vision of the future and the dollars that are possible if you think big.

#22 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:58 PM

The Historic District was made as small as possible and I do believe the form based code district was reduced.  The entire block actually sits within two zones:  UR - Urban Residential and SY-TNX-55 - Stockyards Transition Neighbhorhood Mixed Use.  Urban Residential allows a 2 or 3 story building with the bonus of another floor.  The SY-TNX-55 has a 55' maximum height limit.  My description was brief, but I was sort of combining the the two zones together on the site.  The eastern half of the block has the 55' height limit, as it is in the Stockyards Form Based Code Area.  The western half of the block has the 2-3 story limit with a possibility of a bonus of a 4th floor. 

It is really an interesting site although it does have a power line running between the two sites that for most projects would need to be dealt with as well as two alleyways that would need to be abandoned most likely. Seems like there is definitely some possibilities for a lot of things here.  I am curious John, is the 55' height to the roof, parapet caps or is that based on fire which is to the highest occupied floor? 

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 02:38 PM

It looks like the property sold to "EAGLEWOOD HOSPITALITY LLC" based in Colleyville. I didn't see much more than that with a quick google.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 03:25 PM

The 55' maximum height was set by the form based code.  It is specific and different to each area within the Stockyards, so it has nothing to do with fire protection.  The Stockyards Design standards refer to the International Building Code for definitions.  Building Height in the IBC is defined as the average height of the highest roof surface.  I would imagine in this case that the city would allow a parapet of average height to extend above the height limit. 

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 10:41 AM

During the hearing for the expansion of the Stockyards Historic District the owner of this property spoke in opposition of being included, as they are planning to develop a hotel, but exploring other options. The owner worried the additional restriction from the expanded overlay would impact the ability to develop. Vague and not surprising but confirms the plans. 

The HCLC did vote unanimously to include the property into the Historic District.

#26 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 10:54 AM

During the hearing for the expansion of the Stockyards Historic District the owner of this property spoke in opposition of being included, as they are planning to develop a hotel, but exploring other options. The owner worried the additional restriction from the expanded overlay would impact the ability to develop. Vague and not surprising but confirms the plans. 

The HCLC did vote unanimously to include the property into the Historic District.

Curious if this is would be a cool hotel or just something meh?  Did they give examples of how "the expanded overlay would impact the ability to develop?"

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 11:11 AM

Height was the only concern I recall being explicilty brought up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users