7 replies to this topic

#1 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

I remember in the early 60s, there was a regular restaurant or drive-in restaurant near the west intersection of Berry Street and I-35, called The Red Canary. My Dad and cousin remember this place too, although not in detail. I have vague recollections of it, driving by it but never going in. It seemed liked there may have been red neon signifying the title of the place, but that's all I remember. Anyone have any memories of this place and what it was?

Also, does anyone remember the various Lone Star cafes around town. Funnily enough, the one I remember the most was also on Berry Street, not far west of the Red Canary. My Dad says that Dave Benson owned them, and that with his brother, they owned another type of restaurant or club in town. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

Yes I remember the Lone Star Cafes. Spent many nights after work with some co workers drinking coffee and eating pie at 1a.m. on the Lone Star on East Lancaster Ave. Dave Benson also opened the Japanese Palace out on what I called old Hwy 80 West. He was quite the resturatuer of his day.
I also remember a Lone Star being at Jacksboro Hwy and Northside Drive area.

#3 Jim444

Jim444

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

Yes I remember the Lone Star Cafes. Spent many nights after work with some co workers drinking coffee and eating pie at 1a.m. on the Lone Star on East Lancaster Ave. Dave Benson also opened the Japanese Palace out on what I called old Hwy 80 West. He was quite the resturatuer of his day.

Thanks Mike. I didn't know he opened the Japanese Palace. Ate there many a time. Anybody else on the Lone Stars or The Red Canary?

#4 C essnaguy

C essnaguy

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Mike. I didn't know he opened the Japanese Palace. Ate there many a time. Anybody else on the Lone Stars or The Red Canary?

#5 C essnaguy

C essnaguy

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

There were several Lone Star Drive Inns. The most popular one was at West 7th and Penn. Also, there was a Red Canary in Riverside on 28th about one block east of Sylvania.

#6 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

I remember in the early 60s, there was a regular restaurant or drive-in restaurant near the west intersection of Berry Street and I-35, called The Red Canary. My Dad and cousin remember this place too, although not in detail. I have vague recollections of it, driving by it but never going in. It seemed liked there may have been red neon signifying the title of the place, but that's all I remember. Anyone have any memories of this place and what it was?

Also, does anyone remember the various Lone Star cafes around town. Funnily enough, the one I remember the most was also on Berry Street, not far west of the Red Canary. My Dad says that Dave Benson owned them, and that with his brother, they owned another type of restaurant or club in town. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#7 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

dave benson use to own the town pump

#8 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 08:21 PM

The Lone Star Drive-in (located at 700 East Berry) originally opened in 1949 by Dave Benson and his partner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users