21 replies to this topic

#1 scottm

scottm

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

Hey everyone! I am planning one moving into dowtown Fort Worth and am considering renting in either the Historic Electric Building, Houston Place Lofts, or possibily the Tower. I've been doing alot of research, but would really appreciate any feedback from anybody that has lived in dowtown. Thanks!!

#2 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

A lot really depends on your budget. Likely to rent at The Tower will cost a fair amount more than The Electric Building and a little more than HPL. If you can afford it and there's something available, Sundance West is the best. A friend of mine lived at HPL and they seemed pretty cool. Since they are lofts, they are a more open design so make sure if you want that type of layout or not. Geographically The Tower is the best of your choices in my opinion. It's closest to the action. The others are a little farther but it's probably not a huge deal. I would say to physically go into the units you are considering at each location and compare the positives and negatives and how much bang you get for the buck.

#3 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

What are your priorities?

Space, view, parking, walking, driving, etc…

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#4 scottm

scottm

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

I suppose the main priority is cost of the apt. A buudy and I are going to be roommates, so it has to be at least a 2 bed 2 bath. I would LOVE the Tower, but they are a bit pricey. We are both 22 and work close to the dowtown area, so driving and having to walk a little bit to the dowtown night-life arent really an issue. But I also am curious about possibily doing a lease-option in the tower and maybe buying the condo in a year or two to being to build a little equity and have a high demand rental if work forces me to move. But for now, i guess Im looking for the best "bang for my buck"...

Thanks for the feedback guys

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

I live in a 4th floor loft at the Electric Building, and quite like it. Not as amenities-rich as places like Sundance West or anything, but it's a nice place. Downtown is the amenity. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#6 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

To be honest with you if you think of living at the Firestone. Thier is one public housing in the way. And if you walk stright to SS. You will be hit up for money. When me and my buddy don't want to drop big cash just yet. And "walk" to Taco Bell. In bright daylight . We get "Say man gotta dalla on you" everytime. Drive or walk around that block.

We saw a woman got her window busted on her truck and her purse stolen across from the jail house! That was just two blocks north of this housing project. This was about three weeks ago. You have pan handlers sitting on the curb and waiting for just the right people to walk by.

#7 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Sep 1 2006, 11:18 AM) View Post
You have pan handlers sitting on the curb and waiting for just the right people to walk by.

I guess I don't look like the "right" kind of person, because I walk through there regularly, and hardly ever get asked for money. Could be because most of the "regulars" downtown know me by now. Whenever I am approached, I just say "no" and keep on walking.

I've noticed that the number of panhandlers has decreased in recent months, after a spike following hurricane Katrina. Maybe it's just been too hot.

#8 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Sep 1 2006, 11:53 AM) View Post

You have pan handlers sitting on the curb and waiting for just the right people to walk by.

I guess I don't look like the "right" kind of person, because I walk through there regularly, and hardly ever get asked for money. Could be because most of the "regulars" downtown know me by now. Whenever I am approached, I just say "no" and keep on walking.

I've noticed that the number of panhandlers has decreased in recent months, after a spike following hurricane Katrina. Maybe it's just been too hot.

Glad for you. I could go on and on. But they have been very bold and very in your face about that "dalla". And they have and will walk right up to you inside the Taco Bell. By the way you have to ask for the key to use the can. We go thier and just want to have a soda in peace and quite.

Me and my bud looked out and saw drunks sleeping just outside. After three weekends of this. Me and my bud called it quits. And will not go thier anytime soon. Funny the whole area is clean, open and quiet. Radio Shack, Pier One just a block here and thier. The area is not dirty or trashy.

#9 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

Glad for you. I could go on and on. But they have been very bold and very in your face about that "dalla". And they have and will walk right up to you inside the Taco Bell. By the way you have to ask for the key to use the can. We go thier and just want to have a soda in peace and quite.

Be bold back.I just say "cant do nuthin for ya man".I f they are real pushy i just get loud.theyll get the idea.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#10 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

It seems like I never have cash on me anymore. Until the panhandlers start carrying card readers, they're out of luck.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#11 scottm

scottm

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

I have another buddy that lives in Forestone, and I dont think Im really diggin' it that much. I live in Keller right now and Firestone looks like a suburban apt. tossed into dowtown. Ive heard that the Electric Building is kinda hard to get into..any truth to this??

And those panhandeler's are def. a help sometimes. We went dowtown one night and paid a guy to watch our cars. My buddy slipped him what he thought was a $10, but ended up being a $100...damn sure that dude was there at 3 am when we got back to the cars!!

#12 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(texastrill @ Sep 1 2006, 03:49 PM) View Post

Be bold back.I just say "cant do nuthin for ya man".I f they are real pushy i just get loud.theyll get the idea.

Did I tell you that some of them put the funky into FunkyTown. laugh.gif That put an end for our need for a taco fix. newlaugh.gif

#13 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

I like the ones that always go like "SAY! What time is it?" (just trying to get my attention before poppin the DALLA question)

Then I always say this "It's time to get a J-O-B!" (just like on FRIDAY) rotflmao.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#14 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Sep 3 2006, 07:08 PM) View Post

I like the ones that always go like "SAY! What time is it?" (just trying to get my attention before poppin the DALLA question)

Then I always say this "It's time to get a J-O-B!" (just like on FRIDAY) rotflmao.gif

I’ve accidentally stumbled onto a panhandler repellant.

Due to lack of time, summer and several old fashioned barbers downtown, just went with a high and tight. Have been asked a couple times in the elevator if I’m a police officer, “nope, just hot out.”

Several times it had gotten to the point of harassment, had heard several times, “OH you just don’t like black people.” On occasion worse, but didn’t make a connection between the haircut and the sudden drop to zero panhandler encounters.

I’d gotten into the habit of keeping a buck in my pocket on my weekly trip to the car wash, the last time I was there, it was very busy, one vehicle in each stall and two or more in queue, had 3 different PH walk bys, watched out of the corner of my eye as they stopped from car to car, stall to stall, thought I might have been busy scrubbing and accidentally ignored the first one but after watching the next two hit EVERY vehicle in the place but giving me a LOT of space.

Ding!

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

... And if you walk stright to SS. You will be hit up for money. When me and my buddy don't want to drop big cash just yet. And "walk" to Taco Bell. In bright daylight . We get "Say man gotta dalla on you" everytime. Drive or walk around that block....We saw a woman got her window busted on her truck and her purse stolen across from the jail house! That was just two blocks north of this housing project. This was about three weeks ago. You have pan handlers sitting on the curb and waiting for just the right people to walk by.

This is why I believe that Downtown really has to fight the Sheriff and his insistance on building more jails downtown. This will only get worse when 100's of more county prisoners are released to wander the downtown streets without money or a means to leave the area.

This is a critical issue for the continued improvement of DTFW.

"Keep Fort Worth folksy"

#16 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

I come into contact with several "homeless" or panhandlers every day in DTFW. Some are given a one way ticket to the DTFW Greyhound station, directly from the micro-prison they had last been in. These prison systems hand them a 1 way ticket to DTFW??? What gives here? I think they try to house them off of Henderson St. (north of the TR) at some fleabag motel. Then they either find work or slip within the cracks of society.

BTW, if you want your car washed I know of a very honest and integrity minded individual (whomI believe lives in a shelter), who will wash and dry your vehicle in DTFW for like $7 or $10 dollars. Excellent job and does it right on the spot with bucket, soap, and rag in hand.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#17 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(renamerusk @ Sep 4 2006, 09:31 PM) View Post

... And if you walk stright to SS. You will be hit up for money. When me and my buddy don't want to drop big cash just yet. And "walk" to Taco Bell. In bright daylight . We get "Say man gotta dalla on you" everytime. Drive or walk around that block....We saw a woman got her window busted on her truck and her purse stolen across from the jail house! That was just two blocks north of this housing project. This was about three weeks ago. You have pan handlers sitting on the curb and waiting for just the right people to walk by.

This is why I believe that Downtown really has to fight the Sheriff and his insistance on building more jails downtown. This will only get worse when 100's of more county prisoners are released to wander the downtown streets without money or a means to leave the area.

This is a critical issue for the continued improvement of DTFW.

"Keep Fort Worth folksy"

GreenBay jail in N.FW looks like it was remodeled recently.Maybe they should of went vertical.Also north of there,across 820 there is empty land.Expand there.I agree that there shouldnt be any more jails built DT.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#18 scottm

scottm

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:16 AM

Any opinions on the Electric Building from anyone who has lived there??

#19 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(scottm @ Sep 8 2006, 01:16 AM) View Post

As I noted above, I live in the Electric Building, and I quite like it. I have a 4th floor loft that looks out over Burnett Park.

--

Kara B.

#20 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

I have friends who had to sue to get their deposit back when they moved out, although they were told that everything was OK, and that it would be mailed to them within a week.

Their electricity bills were pretty high in the summer, also, probably because they were on the west side.

#21 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

Electricity bills here haven't been that bad at all. It is an old building, with old windows, so I'm sure they're higher than in a brand new building. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to make, though.

Management has been very receptive to any requests I've made thus far.

--

Kara B.

#22 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(scottm @ Sep 8 2006, 01:16 AM) View Post

Its a good, solid building, with good character, and some cooll units, and has a pretty interesting, eclectic, friendly people. It isn't dripping with the luxurious amenties or finishes typically found in newer buildings, but it rents at a bit of a discount because of that.

The parking is a bit constrained in the garage (1 space for every 2 units), but street parking is easily available around the building as is parking in the garage across the street.

The building is a little cheaper than others downtown - by about $0.30/SF, which is signicicant. I've had a few friends live there over the last few years and all have had positive experiences. The apt manager is supposedly hard to get ahold of for leasing puposes - so they say you have to keep calling back to catch her.

You also ought to check out the Cotton Depot Apts on the eastern edge of downtown, the new Lincoln apts on the northeastern end, and the Kress Building at 5th and Main Street - just opening now, so I'm not sure about its rates.

Best of luck and welcome to Downtown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users