163 replies to this topic

#51 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

SanTan Village, Tempe Marketplace, the Tangier Outlets in Far North Ft. Worth. Maybe I'm missing something but they dont honestly seem to be presenting anything new.

I think the Southlake Town Village and the still under construction Trophy Club Town Center seem as if they are trying to define a better model for reinventing the mall and/or strip center.

I wouldn't include Southlake's Town Square since it also has offices and other services as well as a Town Hall... basically serving as somewhat of a downtown area. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#52 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

It also has a residential component, even if most of it is pretty isolated from the rest of the center.

#53 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

Not sure where the post about Sears closing at Northeast Mall went, but I wonder if that particular mall is in trouble.  I went into Nordstrom for something at the end of September and I was pretty surprised at how sparse the merchandise was in the store.  They've converted the west entrance area into an online purchase pick up area and, though I realize part of the appeal of Nordstrom is that it isn't stocked wall to wall like Kohl's or Penneys, but I was surprised at how thinly stocked it was compared to my last visit.

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

The post about Sears closing in North East Mall is actually in this thread, just closer to the beginning.  From your description, it does seem to indicate that the beginning signs are showing up that the mall is in trouble.  Since there are indications, I'm kind of surprised that Penney's picked this location for their new model store.  I also think it is interesting that you discovered this change happening in Nordstrom.  I have narrow feet, and since Larry's Shoes closed, Nordstrom is the only place close to Fort Worth that can fit me.

#55 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:29 PM

.... I also think it is interesting that you discovered this change happening in Nordstrom.  I have narrow feet, and since Larry's Shoes closed, Nordstrom is the only place close to Fort Worth that can fit me.

The next retailing project to land Nordstrom will be a game changer for that project.  It would be super cool if Sundance Square replicated the 4-story Monnigs Department store into space for a "scaled down" Nordstroms topped by a office/hotel space.

By the way Sundance, this advice is free and aspirational for you.

#56 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

Frankly, I've given up trying to figure out consumer shopping habits.  If the large department store feature of malls is failing (e.g., Sears at NE Mall), why are the food courts thriving.  I recently ate at the food court at NE mall and it was crowded.

Then again, consumer shopping at the smaller retail outlets inside a mall may be declining.  Is this also the case?

If the mall concept is dying, is its replacement the mixed-used concept?  If it's supposed to be the replacement I am skeptical.  Is Crockett Row thriving these days?  We've just learned about the demise of Terra Mediterranean restaurant there and, one of the reasons for its demise, is that restaurant business there is falling off on the weekends.  One observation while dining at Terra at lunchtime weekends is that the retail shops in Crockett Row seemed almost deserted.  Are these retail establishments struggling at Crockett Row?

As I see it, people are still going to shop for goods at the stores, regardless of the relatively new Amazon online buying and mail delivery concept.  If not the malls, then the mixed-use projects?

#57 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:55 PM

I think the food and beverage has done reasonably well at Crockett Row but it has a ton of street level retail shop space and built it a little early for the neighborhood (before the neighborhood was really built out).  They've done a good job recruiting some groups like West Elm who normally go to more suburban, conventional locations. 

If University Park Village, West Bend and Clearfork didn't exist, I'm sure the entire West 7th Street corridor including Crocket Row, Montgomery Plaza, So7 and Left Bank would have recruited some of those tenants who chose to go to more hybrid urban/suburban locations.   Of course, there isnt enough space along 7th Street to fit all the tenants in the "hybrid" locations and some wouldn't have chosen to open in FW at all probably if not for the development of UPV, WB, Clearfork etc.

The walkable character of Crockett Row, woven in with the continually evolving, developing W7th corridor make it, IMO, a place that will have enduring appeal.  But the tenants will I'm sure evolve along with it.  

If we can get both more quality residential density (especially just north of 7th Street) and a lot of hotel rooms (say >1000 rooms) within 1/2 mile of Crockett Row, I think it will make the retail component of the entire W7th Street corridor really vibrant and healthy for a long time to come.  *Forgot: AND continue to improve the pedestrian environment so people WANT to walk around there even greater distances*

#58 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

If University Park Village, West Bend and Clearfork didn't exist, I'm sure the entire West 7th Street corridor including Crocket Row, Montgomery Plaza, So7 and Left Bank would have recruited some of those tenants who chose to go to more hybrid urban/suburban locations.  

Not sure I agree.  West Bend and Clearfork didn't exist when Crocket Row was built, and they never got any of that retail.

My blog: Doohickie

#59 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:42 PM

If University Park Village, West Bend and Clearfork didn't exist, I'm sure the entire West 7th Street corridor including Crocket Row, Montgomery Plaza, So7 and Left Bank would have recruited some of those tenants who chose to go to more hybrid urban/suburban locations.  

Not sure I agree.  West Bend and Clearfork didn't exist when Crocket Row was built, and they never got any of that retail.

I feel like Crockett Row's earlier iteration wasn't really thought out well because they tried to make it too high end and to attract and older clientele.  Let's be honest, an older clientele doesn't want to walk around for blocks shopping unless it is indoors.  I think it is becoming more in line with what it should be which is to focus on a younger audience.  I was there the Sunday afternoon before last and I thought it was a great vibe there.  We went in to Toasted for a coffee and hit Concrete Cowboy to watch the Cowboy game and ended up at Movie Tavern.  It was quite busy most of the day and had great vibrancy.

#60 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:06 PM

How 'bout them Cowboys, eh?

GO BILLS! 

#61 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

Not sure if there's a better topic for this story.  Macy's is opening a new boutique, style concept in Southlake Town Square:

https://communityimp...ke-town-square/

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

Something like this is what I expect will be coming to Downtown when and if a mixed use project is to be built.  Downtown has to attract these specialty stores to remain competitive with other centers in Tarrant County.

A boutique Nordstrom's would do the trick.

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

With Nordstrom not reopening and Sears already gone, this leaves Northeast Mall with 2 out of 5 department store anchors gone.  Does this mean that Northeast will be the next mall to die?  I would have thought it would have been one of the survivors.

#64 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

Same here.  I don't think their idea of drawing in high end clientele from the immediate area (NE Tarrant) ever worked out since those customers seem content to go the other direction to Northpark or the Galleria or even Frisco/Plano.  The mall is in bad shape with 2 anchors gone and 2 others in limbo (Macy's and JC Penney) and a movie theater that's going to sit dark for at least another 2 months.  It's not hard to see why the city of Hurst is doing some belt tightening.

#65 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:49 AM

At the time that I lived in the Mid-cities (Euless), never did I go to Frisco-Galleria-North Park.  NE Mall and Parks in Arlington - yes;, but not them, too far, too much traffic to shop in North Dallas and Collins County.

Regards to Hurst, this is not of their doing.  Valley View, Willow Bend, etc. have all gone down; and the Galleria is having a tough go at it.

https://www.business...n-photos-2018-1

#66 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:14 PM

The Colleyville-Southlake crowd drives to those places.  And I know it's not Hurst's doing and I didn't suggest that.

#67 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:20 PM

I have a feeling the Colleyville-Southlake residents think they have a closer tie to North Dallas than they do to other parts of their own county.

#68 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Fashion

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

With Nordstrom not reopening and Sears already gone, this leaves Northeast Mall with 2 out of 5 department store anchors gone.  Does this mean that Northeast will be the next mall to die?  I would have thought it would have been one of the survivors.

North East Mall losing Nordstrom is a big deal, I would say.  The Nordstrom wing was, pre-pandemic, probably the most thriving wing of North East Mall, with stores such as Banana Republic and Express (and some of their consumers would no doubt shop at Nordstrom too, myself included), and losing the primary anchor of that wing may very well be a game changer.  I believe they still have Forever 21 in that wing as a quasi-anchor, but that is not going to attract those looking to spend a lot of money like Nordstrom does (you'll probably still get plenty of teenyboppers though).  That particular wing is probably going to go downhill without Nordstrom there (losing Sears also hurt the mall, but not really this particular wing), and the mall's center of gravity will probably shift to the Dillard's wing.

I personally enjoyed shopping at the Nordstrom there, as a matter of fact, and I really hate to see them go.  The offerings at the North East Mall location were not as high-end as at their NorthPark or Galleria stores, however (the Stonebriar location is similar to the North East Mall one in this respect), but I was never after those really high-end products anyways (I mainly bought clothes that were sold under Nordstrom's own labels, such as 1901).

I would not be surprised to see Nordstrom try to make a (full-line) return to Tarrant County after the economic crisis winds down, however.  We are still a growing county with a lot of consumers that have plenty of discretionary income (although the amount of consumer discretionary income has dropped, at least temporarily).  They would probably do well at The Shops at Clearfork, and closing the North East Mall location may give them an opportunity to try and open elsewhere in the future, assuming that the company has the financial flexibility to open a new store.  Clearfork does have some issues right now, given the pandemic and the uncertainty associated with Neiman Marcus' bankruptcy, but Clearfork does attract an affluent crowd similar to NorthPark Center in Dallas, albeit not on the same scale.  If Neiman Marcus shuts down their Clearfork location due to their financial struggles, this might make an opening for Nordstrom to come in (although they are not as high-end as NM) that does not involve an expansion of The Shops at Clearfork, provided that such a closure does not outright kill Clearfork, that is.

I had heard, from both my marketing professor at TCU and this forum, that Nordstrom had some sort of contract with respect to their North East Mall location that would have prevented them from opening another full-line store within a certain geographical area, and that both downtown Fort Worth and Clearfork were in that radius.   This Dallas Morning News article suggests that Nordstrom was expected to close their North East Mall store in 2021 anyways, and given that their store there opened in 2001, I am assuming that they had a 20-year contract.  I am not sure if closing early would also get them out of the terms of this contract early, but they probably would not try to return to Tarrant County for at least a few years anyways, if they even attempt to do so.

The Colleyville-Southlake crowd drives to those places.  And I know it's not Hurst's doing and I didn't suggest that.

I could definitely see the Colleyville-Southlake types shopping at the Nordstrom location at North East Mall.  That said, the Galleria location has a much better selection, and is not as far from Southlake as you might think (outside of traffic delays, that is).  Nordstrom could attempt to open a full-line store at Southlake Town Square in the future, I guess, although Southlake Town Square has never had a traditional department store anchor (they have other anchors like the Harkins movie theater and the Hilton).

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#69 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:51 PM

Southlake and Colleyville aside, the feeling that I am getting is that the purchasing power of Tarrant County is underestimated and is typically lumped in with Dallas.  Even though Southlake, Westlake, Colleyville, HEB and Arlington are in Tarrant County, the Greater Dallas Realtors Board lumps all of these cities into the Greater Dallas Real Estate Market. 

Southlake's higher than normal household is added to Dallas'.  What I am saying is that a significant GDRE bites off a significant chunk of the demographics of Tarrant County and claims it for itself. Something to consider,right?

#70 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:04 PM

Southlake and Colleyville aside, the feeling that I am getting is that the purchasing power of Tarrant County is underestimated and is typically lumped in with Dallas.  Even though Southlake, Westlake, Colleyville, HEB and Arlington are in Tarrant County, the Greater Dallas Realtors Board lumps all of these cities into the Greater Dallas Real Estate Market. 

Southlake's higher than normal household is added to Dallas'.  What I am saying is that a significant GDRE bites off a significant chunk of the demographics of Tarrant County and claims it for itself. Something to consider,right?

This seems to leave only affluent portions of the western and southwestern Fort Worth area, such as Westover Hills, Rivercrest, Tanglewood, and Mira Vista, for the "Tarrant County" market.  Keep in mind that Clearfork is betting on these areas with their luxury retail. 

There is also increasing spending power in eastern Parker County as well, focused on the Aledo area.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#71 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:18 PM

Yes, that is my point.  The marketing demographics seem to use Tarrant County to bolster even more the purchasing power of the eastern half of the region.  I'm not saying that the eastern half is not fully capable of standing on its own numbers, its that if you carve out NE Tarrant County, you serious hurt the rest of the county demographically.

#72 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:41 PM

The Galleria recently lost Belks as an anchor. Also, if the pandemic doesnt affect plans, the mall recently announced a major redo that will add plazas and green space to make it a more pedestrian friendly destination. We tend to forget the Galleria is actually mixed use. It has an hotel and two office towers attached, with rumors of another tower and hotel possibly coming.

I mention this because if shopping malls are going to survive, theyre simply going to have to be more than just a bunch of retail shops under a roof.

I know The Parks Mall was the top performing mall in Tarrant County for years and probably still is, even though, imo, NE and Hulen are much nicer. ( Although I havent been to Hulen in 20 years) It was nicer than Parks at that time.

#73 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:43 PM

Yes, that is my point.  The marketing demographics seem to use Tarrant County to bolster even more the purchasing power of the eastern half of the region.  I'm not saying that the eastern half is not fully capable of standing on its own numbers, its that if you carve out NE Tarrant County, you serious hurt the rest of the county demographically.

The freeway network around Southlake and Westlake also seems more oriented towards Dallas (and Irving/Las Colinas) than towards Fort Worth. Yes, there is SH-121, but that was not a freeway-to-freeway connection from SH-114 around Southlake until the DFW Connector had those ramps built in the last several years.

Sydney B. Claridge

#74 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:00 PM

A few people have opined that Nordstrom might open a store in Clearfork.  The only way that happens is if they do a micro store like the kind Macy's has evidently said it intends to open (if has enough cash - TBD).  There is NO WAY Nordstrom opens a new full sized department store anywhere.  This Covid-19 situation has driven the dagger deep into the heart of most brick/mortar retail and even more seriously into those who were already in decline (department stores).  About 50% of department store locations in the US will be gone by Jan 2021.

Those hanging on certainly wont have enough cash to open new stores and the only way a landlord would want them is to fill an existing vacant dept store box. 

Whenever we can, we need to do our individual part by choosing to spend our $ at local brick/mortar retailers rather than on-line.  I know this sounds futile but to help more of them ride this out so we have fewer holes and more local stores (even local branches of national stores) its better for our community than buying from Amazon. 

#75 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:04 PM

A few people have opined that Nordstrom might open a store in Clearfork.  The only way that happens is if they do a micro store like the kind Macy's has evidently said it intends to open (if has enough cash - TBD).  There is NO WAY Nordstrom opens a new full sized department store anywhere.  This Covid-19 situation has driven the dagger deep into the heart of most brick/mortar retail and even more seriously into those who were already in decline (department stores).  About 50% of department store locations in the US will be gone by Jan 2021.

Those hanging on certainly wont have enough cash to open new stores and the only way a landlord would want them is to fill an existing vacant dept store box. 

Whenever we can, we need to do our individual part by choosing to spend our $ at local brick/mortar retailers rather than on-line.  I know this sounds futile but to help more of them ride this out so we have fewer holes and more local stores (even local branches of national stores) its better for our community than buying from Amazon. 

I know the Macy's concept did open in Southlake pre-COVID.  And I agree, we will not be seeing any new full-line department stores unless they are to fill in an empty anchor spot.

COVID-19 has greatly hurt an already-dying industry.  Many retailers tried to focus on the in-store experience, and a strong in-store experience will be needed when trying to attract customers post-COVID.  However, that all depends on when customers are willing to return to stores.  Department stores downscaling their locations into a more compact, boutique concept is definitely an interesting idea that deserves more exploration.  Doing so would need a curation of products to the tastes of the local market for this concept to be at its most successful (and find ways to lure customers into the store), given the temptation to just shop online for many products. 

Fashion can be one of those things where in-store shopping can excel over online shopping (eg. trying clothes on and seeing the product on your body), but a focus on the fitting room experience is key; fashion is the largest product segment sold in traditional department stores, and the smaller boutique stores often beat them on the experience of trying on clothes (when I say boutique, I am referring to clothing stores in a mall that are not anchor retailers).  Some retailers have done interesting things in this area: examples include adjustable lighting (example: Abercrombie & Fitch in Columbus, Ohio), more space inside each fitting room, less-harsh lighting, and larger mirrors.  In terms of fitting rooms that are not tricked-out with tech (like the new A&F stores), women's retailer White House Black Market (WHBM) has some really beautiful fitting rooms (see #1, #2, #3) that should be an inspiration for other retailers.  Most department store fitting rooms lack this attention to detail (even with some higher-end stores like Nordstrom) seen in the A&F and WHBM examples.

This pivot towards online retail is going to further enrich Amazon at the expense of other retailers.  Those in the fashion retail sector need to do their part to play up the strengths of brick-and-mortar stores if they hope to survive.

Sydney B. Claridge

#76 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

Perhaps the new boutique models (Macy's, NM, Nordstrom) will make coming to their shop a personal experience.  I would mail/email RSVP; I would have some very nice treats (wine) and things to pamper the client. There could be fashion experts to help the client through the journey, take in a custom order of the product.  Proving a posh experience is a way to get around the temptation/addiction to online shopping.

#77 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

Are any forumistas aware of former enclosed retail malls that have been transformed into "retirement villages" for the aging Boomer+ population; retirement aged individuals able to and interested in continuing to reside in an urban, or at least suburban area?

Building residential towers to mesh into the existing structure of such a complex would provide a "captive audience" for refocused retail in the existing spaces: Sears could become Kroger, Penny's could become Walgreens/CVS (two competing stores facing each other across the aisle, mirroring real-life in the streets... Another former anchor could be converted into a health/fitness facility with a medical clinic on-site for consultations, optometrist, etc. Yet another block of space adjacent to the former food court could be converted into dining facilities, food prep and home delivery services, a bar or two, maybe one with Karaoke on Tuesdays and another with weekly live music schedule. Plenty of former retail space left, right? How about a business center with a contractor providing access service to AARP, VA, major insurance and health care providers, investment services, routine legal services, Social Security, etc. The former Wards or Striplings could be a super-Bingo Hall with online horse and sports-betting, Keno tables, and a quiet area for ... bridge? Much of the parking around the facility would not be needed as a large facility housing hundreds, nay, thousands of residents could economically offer shuttle services to local and regional destinations on a rotating schedule or by appointment; older seniors with failing eyesight would be freed from the danger and expense of maintaining a private vehicle. Of course if a significant number of people are living in a fairly condensed area that area would be more likely to have access to local public transportation as well. Some or most of the parking spaces could be ripped up and outdoor amenities like a golf course and fair-weather walking paths through landscaped areas could be constructed and curated. During winter and rainy months seniors already use malls for power-walking. The owners should probably dedicate at no cost to the city an area that could be converted into a fire station, and perhaps a city employee providing access to city/county services appropriate to the needs of the residents. Security for the residents and the facility in general could be maintained by a private contractor who would maintain electronic and video control over emergency exits and limit access at the dedicated entries to residents and their designated guests.

Other random thoughts along this line of thinking: The physical layout might be modified to allow for golf-carts to traverse the main galleries connecting the various parts of the former mall, or perhaps a service with multi-passenger carts like at DFW Airport run by the mall employees for better guarantees of safety and less potential for traffic-related injuries. Lifts or perhaps better, long ramps connecting the levels of the former mall would be necessary; ramps might be required by fire code. Don't forget to reserve room for the liquor store, and multi-denominational chapel, and beauty shop(s) / hair cutters, sneaker store, dispensary (when Texas catches up with evolving state laws...) The towers might best be built with the thought in mind of the various levels of service a resident might require of the course of their residency... some might have "garage areas" for golf carts, others might have in-room oxygen availability.

#78 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:01 AM

Are any forumistas aware of former enclosed retail malls that have been transformed into "retirement villages" for the aging Boomer+ population; retirement aged individuals able to and interested in continuing to reside in an urban, or at least suburban area?

Building residential towers to mesh into the existing structure of such a complex would provide a "captive audience" for refocused retail in the existing spaces: Sears could become Kroger, Penny's could become Walgreens/CVS (two competing stores facing each other across the aisle, mirroring real-life in the streets... Another former anchor could be converted into a health/fitness facility with a medical clinic on-site for consultations, optometrist, etc. Yet another block of space adjacent to the former food court could be converted into dining facilities, food prep and home delivery services, a bar or two, maybe one with Karaoke on Tuesdays and another with weekly live music schedule. Plenty of former retail space left, right? How about a business center with a contractor providing access service to AARP, VA, major insurance and health care providers, investment services, routine legal services, Social Security, etc. The former Wards or Striplings could be a super-Bingo Hall with online horse and sports-betting, Keno tables, and a quiet area for ... bridge? Much of the parking around the facility would not be needed as a large facility housing hundreds, nay, thousands of residents could economically offer shuttle services to local and regional destinations on a rotating schedule or by appointment; older seniors with failing eyesight would be freed from the danger and expense of maintaining a private vehicle. Of course if a significant number of people are living in a fairly condensed area that area would be more likely to have access to local public transportation as well. Some or most of the parking spaces could be ripped up and outdoor amenities like a golf course and fair-weather walking paths through landscaped areas could be constructed and curated. During winter and rainy months seniors already use malls for power-walking. The owners should probably dedicate at no cost to the city an area that could be converted into a fire station, and perhaps a city employee providing access to city/county services appropriate to the needs of the residents. Security for the residents and the facility in general could be maintained by a private contractor who would maintain electronic and video control over emergency exits and limit access at the dedicated entries to residents and their designated guests.

Other random thoughts along this line of thinking: The physical layout might be modified to allow for golf-carts to traverse the main galleries connecting the various parts of the former mall, or perhaps a service with multi-passenger carts like at DFW Airport run by the mall employees for better guarantees of safety and less potential for traffic-related injuries. Lifts or perhaps better, long ramps connecting the levels of the former mall would be necessary; ramps might be required by fire code. Don't forget to reserve room for the liquor store, and multi-denominational chapel, and beauty shop(s) / hair cutters, sneaker store, dispensary (when Texas catches up with evolving state laws...) The towers might best be built with the thought in mind of the various levels of service a resident might require of the course of their residency... some might have "garage areas" for golf carts, others might have in-room oxygen availability.

had you seen this before?
https://www.citylab....ip-mall/569905/

#79 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:32 AM

Txbornviking, I had seen the article that you linked.

#80 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:25 PM

No, news to me, I wasn't expecting this sort of item from this fishing expedition but it is interesting, thanks for replying.

had you seen this before?
https://www.citylab....ip-mall/569905/

#81 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:34 AM

Sears is closing in Hulen.

Now, I can still see the mall surviving and (maybe) getting a replacement anchor. It's happened before... but that was pre-Covid. 

I'll still say Hulen has a better chance of surviving, though. 

7fwPZnE.png

#82 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:41 PM

Analysts predict that more than half of all mall-based department stores will close by the end of 2021 and that about a quarter of malls in the US are in danger of closing.

With Department Stores Disappearing, Malls Could Be Next

#83 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

Are there any suggestions as to how these "heat radiating continents of concrete surfaces" should be returned to natural spaces?

#84 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:18 AM

Simon has been exploring the possibility of turning some of its vacant Sears and JCPenney anchor spaces into Amazon distribution hubs. Around here, North East Mall is a Simon property. Simon's stock increased 10% after the news broke.
https://www.wsj.com/...ers-11596992863

#85 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:23 AM

Simon has been exploring the possibility of turning some of its vacant Sears and JCPenney anchor spaces into Amazon distribution hubs. Around here, North East Mall is a Simon property. Simon's stock increased 10% after the news broke.
https://www.wsj.com/...ers-11596992863

And so it begins . . .

7fwPZnE.png

#86 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:59 PM

Not to mention, North East Mall has two empty anchor spots. Both the former Sears and former Nordstrom could be ideal spots; I believe the former Sears is bigger square-footage-wise, but the former Nordstrom has much better visibility from the surrounding roads. 

EDIT: the Sears spot would be best, as (obviously) these Amazon distribution facilities will not be for driving customer traffic to the mall.  Save the more-visible Nordstrom site for something intended to drive customers into the mall; that is, if they return post-pandemic.

I don't think North East Mall's JCPenney would be on the company's high-priority list for closure, since it is a concept store that was supposed to represent an improved design for their stores. I doubt JCPenney will be renovating any more stores any time soon, given the cost of doing so.

Sydney B. Claridge

#87 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

Not a good idea in my opinion. Having an amazon hub at a mall will bring in 100s of trucks daily.

Adrian

#88 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:09 AM

Adding to my previous reply. A distribution hub will require security fencing surrounding the truck yard, a security gate and share access to the streets as all other vehicles. If you have ever driven past an Amazon hub they will have 20 or more trucks backed up on the access road trying to get into yard. Now imagine that with Christmas holiday shopper traffic.

Adrian

#89 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 17 August 2020 - 11:57 AM

I agree.  This would make sense only if Amazon were to purchase the entirety of a mall for conversion to a distribution hub. And that would be the end of a shopping mall.

#90 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:57 PM

If they did this at North East Mall for example, they will not see anywhere near the traffic of the average Amazon fulfillment center.  The centers around this area are all in the 1 million square foot range.  The two empty anchors at NE Mall are 120k and 200k square feet and that's assuming they use 2 stories.  Something that much smaller will be dealing with a fraction of the inventory of the average fulfillment center and thus much less traffic.

#91 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

I was listening to KRLD 1080 on my way home from work today and they had a writer for the Dallas Business Journal talk about COVID-19 putting the nail into the coffin of most of the remaining enclosed shopping malls.  He stated the virus would be the final thing that would eliminate most of the remaining malls in the country.  I tried to look at the story, but it was behind a paywall.  There are 18 enclosed shopping malls left in DFW and he stated that he feels that 3 or 4 will survive and the rest will close.  The anchor at the station did ask him which 3 or 4 that he thought would survive.  He indicated they would be NorthPark in Dallas, Stonebriar in Frisco, Town East in Mesquite, and possibly Hulen in Fort Worth.  He also said that he wasn't 100% certain that any Tarrant County enclosed mall would survive, but he felt that Hulen had the best chance considering its location. 

#92 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this John.  DBJ interviewed Barney McAuley, Edge Capital Markets.  He talked about Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securities (CMBS) debt and how more and more commercial properties are being put on a CMBS watchlist.  He said Town East actually got an extension on their CMBS loan but the fact that they had to get an extension is that a good or bad indicator?  Also some interesting conversation about what mall redevelopment might look like.

https://www.bizjourn...alls-covid.html

Three examples of mall redevelopment that came to mind:

Red Bird Mall Redevelopment

https://www.omniplan...at-redbird.html

https://www.bizjourn...nce-maiden.html

Windsor Park Mall San Antonio now is Rackspace Hdqt "The Castle"

https://en.wikipedia...ndsor_Park_Mall

Austin Highland Mall now ACC Highland Campus

https://www.austincc...ons-and-answers

#93 chmartin79

chmartin79

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:56 AM

I was listening to KRLD 1080 on my way home from work today and they had a writer for the Dallas Business Journal talk about COVID-19 putting the nail into the coffin of most of the remaining enclosed shopping malls.  He stated the virus would be the final thing that would eliminate most of the remaining malls in the country.  I tried to look at the story, but it was behind a paywall.  There are 18 enclosed shopping malls left in DFW and he stated that he feels that 3 or 4 will survive and the rest will close.  The anchor at the station did ask him which 3 or 4 that he thought would survive.  He indicated they would be NorthPark in Dallas, Stonebriar in Frisco, Town East in Mesquite, and possibly Hulen in Fort Worth.  He also said that he wasn't 100% certain that any Tarrant County enclosed mall would survive, but he felt that Hulen had the best chance considering its location. 

I would bet a lot of money that The Parks in Arlington will survive. I would actually put them in the lead over Hulen, given that most of Hulen's business comes from west of Fort Worth and those towns are infilling with their own shopping. 

#94 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:05 AM

I agree that Parks regularly seems packed. Grapevine Mills isnt a place I frequent but seems to be doing well often. 

Edit: LGP is not going anywhere either, as john mentioned below.

#95 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 01:13 PM

The person being interviewed could be wrong on his predictions regarding the number of malls that will survive.  There may be more than the 3 or 4, or the number may be right.  He seemed rather uncertain that any Tarrant County mall would stay open by the time we see the other side of COVID-19.

Here's another mall that seems to be very busy every time that I have driven by it, even though I have not been inside in years: La Gran Plaza de Fort Worth.  This is also the mall that I grew up with as the retail was leaving Downtown in the 1960s.  Originally, it was open-air and called Seminary South Shopping Center. 

#96 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:42 PM

The person being interviewed could be wrong on his predictions regarding the number of malls that will survive.  There may be more than the 3 or 4, or the number may be right.  He seemed rather uncertain that any Tarrant County mall would stay open by the time we see the other side of COVID-19.

Here's another mall that seems to be very busy every time that I have driven by it, even though I have not been inside in years: La Gran Plaza de Fort Worth.  This is also the mall that I grew up with as the retail was leaving Downtown in the 1960s.  Originally, it was open-air and called Seminary South Shopping Center. 

I would highly recommend a visit to La Gran Plaza once COVID subsides, maybe not so much for the shopping experience, but they have a TERRIFFIC food selection.

though there is an interesting bazaar section where I think one of the department stores had been. It's subdivided now into at least 100 small merchant venues similar to what you may have found at the Henderson Bazar or Pequeno Mexico on University..

the "food court" area is in essence 15-20 small independent food stalls with all sorts of food from various areas of Latin America. It's really great.

For those in the forum with younger-ish kids (say 5-10yr olds) they have a really great indoor playspace for your kids. They also have an area more geared for the 2-5yr age set that my soon-to-be 3yr old enjoyed pre-covid.

oooooh, and there is a fun 3 story indoor spiral slide anyone can go down for free that's good fun too!

#97 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:49 PM

The bazaar section, called El Mercado, is inside the old Dillard's store.  Dillard's was added to the mall in 1978.  The food court is inside the partially demolished G.C. Murphy Co., which was a junior anchor.  The open-air mall was enclosed in 1987.

#98 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:34 PM

Article about dying malls in Time:  The COVID-19 Pandemic Has Been Tough on Shopping Malls. History Suggests We Should Be Wary of What Might Replace Them Sadly, the article is more fluff than substance.

#99 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, that article didn't really say much at all.

#100 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:31 PM

I agree with the two of you about the content.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shopping, Malls, Retail, Brick & Mortar, Online Shopping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users