62 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

From reporting in the Fort Worth Business Press (2/14/20) the Economic is quoted as saying -

"Although in its early stages, [Bob]Jameson (Visit Fort Worth president and CEO)  said, a new sports complex particularly focused on soccer and lacrosse is also on the works. "All we need is – simple enough – a 100 acres, few investors," he said. "The reality is that early conversations about [a sports complex] have had quite a bit of support."

Sports tourism has been under Fort Worth's radar. The Fort Worth Sports Commission has booked about 75 various sports events for the year. The USA Gymnastics Championships 2020 and USA Table Tennis US Open Championship will be two of the major sporting highlights for the year.

Sports tourism is exactly what we should do to continue to make Fort Worth a "destination" city.  As possible locations, two sites come immediately to mind: Ridgmar Mall Redeveloped (100 acres) and Panther Island (100 acres).

As for the kinds of sporting events Fort Worth should go after: Big 12 Soccer (Kansas City,MO) and SEC Soccer (Orange Beach, AL).

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

A new sports complex would be really great for Fort Worth.  I had thought Dickie's Arena would fit the bill, at least for basketball, but it's too small for professional sports.  Wonder if such a sports complex would be enclosed, which is now almost the norm.

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:44 AM

I take this to mean a complex for sports fields for league sports for youth and adult rec leagues: soccer, lacrosse, softball, etc.  This isn't something aimed at getting a stadium with large spectator capacity.

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

Natatorium anyone? How year-round a world-class water sports and recreation complex. Benefits: non-contact, non-brain injuring sports, life-long participation; all ages can benefit and enjoy, drown-proofing for younger population...

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

1. A new sports complex would be really great for Fort Worth.  I had thought Dickie's Arena would fit the bill, at least for basketball, but it's too small for professional sports.  Wonder if such a sports complex would be enclosed, which is now almost the norm.

2. I take this to mean a complex for sports fields for league sports for youth and adult rec leagues: soccer, lacrosse, softball, etc.  This isn't something aimed at getting a stadium with large spectator capacity.

3. Natatorium anyone? How year-round a world-class water sports and recreation complex. Benefits: non-contact, non-brain injuring sports, life-long participation; all ages can benefit and enjoy, drown-proofing for younger population...

I disagree with the general assumptions being drawn.  This is a Tourism initiative.

1. These is not aimed at professional sports. Professional sports is already address by the four professional leagues that consider all of North Texas as their territory.

2. This is not a Park& Recreation project, although it is possible that local amateur competition will be using the multi-purposed complex.

3. Yes. A natatorium could be added to the complex as well as other sports venue (bicycling, skate boarding, etc.)

What this complex is plainly about is tourism, more specifically out of town tourists coming to Fort Worth as a destination for competition among amateur and collegeit participants.  Dickies Arena addresses the non-professional events (NCAA tournaments, U.S. Gymnastics, etc.)  An outdoor facility will address sports like tennis, soccer, swimming, lacrosse, etc. 

I could also imagine a partnership with Colonial CC to host a Big 12 Golf tournament.

The goal of tourism is to increase business for hotels, restaurants, retail stores, etc. and it is seen as a net gain to the local economy as opposed to the shifting of revenues from local businesses to a local professional sport team. When the Cowboys play games in AT&T Stadium,  Fort Worth, Dallas and the rest of North Texas lose a piece of their revenues that would be collected in their jurisdiction while Arlington in the beneficiary.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:45 PM

I agree with all of that and did not think to mention the tournament use of such facilities. Can you post a link to the original article? I could not find it on the BPs website based on your summary.

#7 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

Can you post a link to the original article?

http://www.fortworth...9fff022fc0.html

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:18 PM

Presentation including a prototype with renderings available here.

http://fortworthtexa...b975cd24675.pdf

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:32 PM

I'll have more to say at a later time, but page 17 is a real doozy.  The presenter actually writes "fully vetted". :o

SFA SFM is headquartered in Clearwater, Florida.  Who at City of Fort Worth did not spot the Dallas Skyline is  designated for Downtown Fort Worth?  You would think that SFA SFW would take the time to actually visit Fort Worth.  Not a good first impression and an embarrassment for the City Staff.

#10 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:03 PM

The Fort Worth Star, $150 million complex at I-35W and Basswood, partnership between City of Fort Worth and Keller ISD. An 8,000-seat stadium, 16 soccer fields and an arts center. Preliminary talks have been with Neltex Sports, which brought minor league baseball teams to Cleburne and Grand Prairie. Luke Ranker reports: https://amp.star-tel...e247156769.html

#11 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:38 AM

I swear I cannot understand Cary Moon's thinking on the items he chooses to play booster for vs the items he'll demonize as wasteful boondoogles

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:22 PM

NBC article has a few other views

https://www.nbcdfw.c...omplex/2482094/

#13 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

Here's another version of the design concept (assuming this is the same project).  Looks like they've increased the scope on the stadium portion quite a bit as shown on your NBC5 link compared to this version.  Frisco MLS Stadium / Pizza Hut Park / Toyota Stadium had similar features with a main bowl for the MLS with several youth soccer fields north of the stadium. 

HH8G0qm.png

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:55 PM

There are 3 areas being studied, Moon's site, the Overland site (where Edwards Ranch straddles the Chisholm Trail) and Walsh Ranch at the NEC of Walsh Ranch and I-20 and a site on the NEC of the Texas Motor Speedway grounds.

#15 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:40 AM

Star-Telegram today
Will Fort Worth get a pro soccer team? Talks heat up for suburban plan

FortWorth_Star_Stadium_HNTB_rev.jpg

The United Soccer League met with Mayor Parker to discuss bringing a team to Fort Worth. The article talks about stadium possibilities at 35W/Basswood (above) and another near Walsh Ranch. Councilman Moon says the northside plan would bring in 400 events per year and "move the needle more toward the city relying on commercial tax than on residential taxes."

#16 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:56 AM

Star-Telegram today

The United Soccer League met with Mayor Parker to discuss bringing a team to Fort Worth. The article talks about stadium possibilities at 35W/Basswood (above) and another near Walsh Ranch. Councilman Moon says the northside plan would bring in 400 events per year and "move the needle more toward the city relying on commercial tax than on residential taxes."

To this, I say that Farrington is still for sale . . . 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#17 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:52 AM

Star-Telegram today

To this, I say that Farrington is still for sale . . . 

Farrington would make more sense... avoid I-35 traffic/congestion, plenty of nearby hotels, restaurants, and THINGS TO DO to hopefully get even more revenues from visitors.

Moon has been pushing hard for something of this nature for a few years now though for north ft worth

#18 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:02 AM

From how I understood the article, landing a USL team seems to be secondary compared to developing a complex for youth soccer and hosting large tournaments. If the question is whether they need 16 or 20 fields, that would explain why they're looking only to large suburban tracts and not considering Farrington.

#19 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

From how I understood the article, landing a USL team seems to be secondary compared to developing a complex for youth soccer and hosting large tournaments. If the question is whether they need 16 or 20 fields, that would explain why they're looking only to large suburban tracts and not considering Farrington.

It would be fine to build the complex for the academy, team operations and other events and just have Farrington as the stadium. 

7fwPZnE.png

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:29 PM

Fort Worth now on people's radar!

FC Dallas take this

thumb-your-nose-at-def.jpg

USL - https://www.uslleagu...om/league-teams

Arlington is North Texas SC...crazy; who around him think of themselves as a North Texan first and foremost?

Arlington v FW will be a friendly (kick their ass) rivalry.  Attendance should be quite decent.

#21 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:09 PM

Fort Worth now on people's radar!

FC Dallas take this

thumb-your-nose-at-def.jpg

USL - https://www.uslleagu...om/league-teams

Arlington is North Texas SC...crazy; who around him think of themselves as a North Texan first and foremost?

Arlington v FW will be a friendly (kick their ass) rivalry.  Attendance should be quite decent.

I think we're going for the top league of USL, that being USL Championship division... which is basically the secondary to MLS, but still a step in the right direction. 

The Vaqueros are currently in the league that's 4th to the bottom.

ESYUoPOWsAARXx6.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#22 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:38 PM

I think we're going for the top league of USL, that being USL Championship division... which is basically the secondary to MLS, but still a step in the right direction. 

Correct, the Star-Telegram article says USL Championship

#23 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:59 PM

It would be fine to build the complex for the academy, team operations and other events and just have Farrington as the stadium. 

I think I read somewhere that there is a codicil stipulates that any use of FF other than UIL would be prohibited and the site would revert back to the heirs of Farrington.  Question is was their a Mr. Farrington and was he a prohibitionist? 

I did also find while searching about UIL sports, there is a prohibition of alcohol sales at stadiums hosting UIL games.  AT&T does not sell alcohol during the state playoff games.

I would think that USL will need a new stadium because of the FF restriction.

#24 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:16 AM

I agree.  A new modern stadium at a highly accessible location with plenty of space for parking.  New professional soccer team in Fort Worth would be great!  And the team name should be prefaced "Fort Worth," not "Texas."

#25 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

I think I read somewhere that there is a codicil stipulates that any use of FF other than UIL would be prohibited and the site would revert back to the heirs of Farrington.  Question is was their a Mr. Farrington and was he a prohibitionist? 

I did also find while searching about UIL sports, there is a prohibition of alcohol sales at stadiums hosting UIL games.  AT&T does not sell alcohol during the state playoff games.

I would think that USL will need a new stadium because of the FF restriction.

I'm not talking about keeping the same Farrington Field as is. Obviously, I'm looking for a more modernized stadium, like what TCU did with The Carter... keep/refurbish the lower bowl but everything else is new. 

I'd rather try to find a way around that, if that were the case, because if it's still for sale, why should it matter?

7fwPZnE.png

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:45 AM

The Basswood @ North Freeway is probably not as bad a location as I first thought.

If you juxtapose the B@NF location on a map in Dallas County, the complex would be well within the radius of the most ardent soccer groups of Tarrant County.  It would not be like the Frisco location for FC Dallas where you are required to pay toll, cross into another county, and is miles and miles from West, South and East Dallas County.

#27 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:03 PM

FCDallas ranks among the smallest avg attendance because it is 30 miles to and from the largest group of Soccer enthusiasts in Dallas County - South/West/East Dallas.

If you juxtapose the B@NF location on a map in Dallas County, the complex would be well within the radius of the most ardent soccer groups of Tarrant County.  It would not be like the Frisco location for FC Dallas where you are required to pay toll, cross into another county, and is miles and miles from West, South and East Dallas County.

I'm curious to learn more about your sources to determine where in Tarrant and Dallas the most ardent soccer groups live. I don't know enough to agree or disagree with your conclusion; I just haven't read anything that measures soccer enthusiasm by location.

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:54 PM

Mainly in the central core barrios.  When you go into latino restaurants, the TV is always broadcasting futbol from Mexico and Central America. As a team looking for a ready market, you ask where do the youth who play basketball live if you want to build a long lasting and strong fan base; or you ask where do the youth play soccer; and that leads your decision as to where to place a stadium; a stadium which would be very accessible to the population that you are targeting.  Simple but logical.

American football is stronger in rural and suburban locations (Aledo,Frisco, Denton, Odessa, etc.)   Also futbol is just too slow and the scoring too low to create an ardent fan base beyond a large non-latino population.

On the other hand, Latinos seemed glued to the screen "watching paint drying on the wall". :swg:

Now this is only a cursory observation, but I think it will hold up well if tested.

#29 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:28 PM

...I swear, as soon as I can get my hands on better software, I'm getting on this  Farrington Field redo. 

7fwPZnE.png

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:49 AM

Austin Bold (USL) appear to be rumored to relocate here.

https://3rddegree.ne...e-to-fort-worth

#31 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 02:03 PM

Austin Bold (USL) appear to be rumored to relocate here.

https://3rddegree.ne...e-to-fort-worth

I heard this from Kevin Hageland of 105.3 the Fan... sort of. 

Just wanted to confirm it.

7fwPZnE.png

#32 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:21 PM

I think that is a terrible location for a stadium... just my opinion.  The traffic in the area is already atrocious so I can't imagine what it would be like on game days.  Of course I'm taking into account that they will actually have fans who are attending.

#33 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:57 PM

I think that is a terrible location for a stadium... just my opinion. 

Trust me, it's definitely not just your opinion... 

I understand Moon is trying to do what's best for his district, but having the stadium there sucks. I'd support the rest of the complex in that area, but the stadium itself needs to be in the core of the city. 

7fwPZnE.png

#34 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:51 PM

Just dropping a name suggestions for the soccer team (besides Vaqueros, which I don't know if that would be accepted):

Aeronautics: 

- Fort Worth Aviators SC
- Fort Worth Aeronauts 
- Fort Worth Flyers SC
- FW Bombers
- Fort Worth Dominators SC
- Fort Worth Skyhawks 
- Fort Worth Avengers SC

- Fort Worth Crusaders SC

- Valiant Fort Worth
- Fort Worth Pilots SC

"Panther City"

- Pantera Fort Worth
- Fort Worth Black Cats
- Fort Worth Panthers SC
- CFPC
(Club de Football Panther City)

"Cowtown"/Old Western

- Stockyards SC
- Fort Worth Chisholm SC

- Fort Worth Riders 
- Fort Worth Wranglers
- Fort Worth Longhorns SC

- Paint Horse F.W.

- Fort Worth 1849

- Fort Worth Bandits

Etc.

- Fort Worth Fighters SC (firefighters)

- Fort Worth Wildcats 

- Fort Worth Cyclones SC

- Fort Worth Twisters SC

- Fort Worth Rattlers SC

- Fort Worth Tuskers (Fort Worth Zoo logo)

- Fort Worth Tarantulas 

Obviously, I really, REALLY want there to be a Aeronautics name... 

7fwPZnE.png

#35 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:38 PM

Heres my top picks from your list Jeriat.

Fort Worth Flyers SC
Fort Worth Riders
Fort Worth Bandits (Banditos?) outlaws
Fort Worth Riders

#36 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:29 PM

Heres my top picks from your list Jeriat.

Fort Worth Flyers SC
Fort Worth Riders
Fort Worth Bandits (Banditos?) outlaws
Fort Worth Riders

I'm just hoping they don't go with the faux Euro naming they've been doing... that's why I didn't put down "FC". It sometimes makes the name worse.

Case in point, Montreal went from this:

ugsnhv0oteegw8sjs3e4wivvg.gif

...to this:

675459602021.gif

7fwPZnE.png

#37 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:28 AM

More on Austin Bold. Their official statement says the options under consideration include staying in Austin.
https://www.kxan.com...leaving-austin/

#38 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 11:00 AM

snXLUr8.jpg

Gkn9FVC.jpg

VmPOP99.jpg

gihQYwy.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#39 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 11:58 AM

The Austin Bold owner informed players and staff that the team is not playing after the 2021 season. "The move to Fort Worth is happening" but depends on stadium construction, so it may not happen in 2022.

https://www.thestrik...move-fort-worth

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:03 PM

Im also curious how Councilman Moons impending departure will affect this. He was the one really championing the Keller location.

#41 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:22 PM

Jeriat, those team logos are awesome! I like #2 or #4 color scheme the best. I love that sans serif Art Deco font too.

#42 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:44 PM

Jeriat, those team logos are awesome! I like #2 or #4 color scheme the best. I love that sans serif Art Deco font too.

Thanks, but I didn't make the pilot. Just downloaded some stuff and mixed it up.

These are more like mock-up logos, but you see where I was going with it... I really want at least one of our teams to have an Art Deco inspired look and identity instead of it all being cowboy/western stuff.

#1 = "City Colors" (TCU and Panther City LC)
#2 = American colors

#3 = "Northside Colors" 
#4 = Vaqueros 

7fwPZnE.png

#43 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:39 PM

Well don't give away all your secrets...stills looks really good.  I really like the name Fort Worth Flyers.

(The font reminds me of Disney's the Rocketeer)

R.jpg

#44 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 10:14 PM

Well don't give away all your secrets...stills looks really good.  I really like the name Fort Worth Flyers.

(The font reminds me of Disney's the Rocketeer)

R.jpg

Yeah, the font is "Deco Tech TF" or something like that. 

7fwPZnE.png

#45 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:20 PM

There are 3 areas being studied, Moon's site, the Overland site (where Edwards Ranch straddles the Chisholm Trail) and Walsh Ranch at the NEC of Walsh Ranch and I-20 and a site on the NEC of the Texas Motor Speedway grounds.

I know it's been almost a year since you posted this, but a big HELL NO to the Texas Motor Speedway site...

xTpoAZN.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 10:42 PM

Another thought I had for Farrington... as in, this time, just demolishing ALL of the current stadium and building another just to the south.

I measured the field to the best I could using Google Earth, so it's mostly accurate. 

1VIUV3n.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:38 AM

Jeriat, that last proposal wouldn't make us preservationists very happy.  We are trying to save as much of Farrington Field as we can.

#48 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:12 AM

Jeriat, that last proposal wouldn't make us preservationists very happy.  We are trying to save as much of Farrington Field as we can.

Right. 

I just get mixed messages about what people want with Farrington. I still want to use it and redevelop it as an SSS with at least the first 10 or so rows on each side.

OR, with this proposal, shape it to where say the west side of the current stadium is mostly preserved and used as a separate venue. SoFi Stadium and Jacksonville has this same approach.

YouTube Theater @ SoFi Stadium

10940784_youtube-theater--img.jpg

Daily's Place / TIAA Bank Stadium

Populous_DailysPlace_Ewing-0141v2.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#49 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:05 AM

Revision with all of the site and a re-imagined Farrington Field as an outdoor theater.

GdNzMNZ.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#50 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 08:25 PM

The proposed site at I-35W and Basswood... maybe I'm unreasonably suspect of something nefarious, but I'd REALLY be curious to know who/what owns that large undeveloped tract of land east of I-35W and bounded by Basswood, N. Riverside Drive, and Thompson... and I'd be curious to know their political contributions over the past 5yrs

This article from fall 2020 says the land is owned by a South Carolina-based charitable trust that signed a letter of intent to sell it to the city for community use.
https://www.star-tel...e247156769.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users