84 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 09:20 PM

I was recently out for a "sunday drive" to the SW of the City. In Cresson, I decided to take County Road 918 back towards town. To my surprise, the skyline is clearly visible from where the road crosses the FWWR tracks just outside of Cresson. The view is even visible on streetview. I measure the distance from this location to Burnett Plaza at about 22 miles. The altitue of this site is 1,046 feet according to freemaptools.com, which is about 400 feet higher than downtown. 

What other locations have surprising skyline views?

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 May 2021 - 10:24 PM

I have ridden my bicycle on that road from my house to Cresson and back.  I do remember making note on seeing the skyline at that railroad crossing.

#3 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 11:01 PM

Here's another cool view of the FW skyline....Trinity Blvd by the Garden of Angels memorial.  You get some very cool sunsets also especially April and September when the sun is setting closer to true West although the expanse of view is quite far here as well.

(Note to self...I wonder if other massive cell phone towers and various antennae are specifically perched in places with elevations that are ideal for spotting downtown skyline?)

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:46 AM

Aledo Road, just outside Loop 820

4th Street a bit east of downtown... not that far out but I like this view.

I love taking people on bicycle into downtown from Rivercrest Country Club along W7th... some great vistas of downtown.

My blog: Doohickie

#5 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:58 AM

Team Ranch Rd and West Loop 820

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:08 AM

Top of Nice Hill in South Holiday Park at Benbrook Lake.  You have to pay to get into the lake area, either by car or by bicycle.  From this hill, you can see the FW skyline if you look north, and if you look south, you can see Caddo Peak, the highest point in Johnson County.  There is no Google Street View on those park roads, but there is a photograph accessible from the site.  The quality of the photo is not great, and it is very hard to see the skyline in the photograph.

#7 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:09 AM

Six Flags Oil Derrick

(Distance to Burnett Plaza = 15.32 miles (as-the-crow-flies))

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:10 AM

This one reminds me a bit of Mansfield Highway in Kennedale, where you can get a quick glance after cresting a hill. About 11 miles of distance.

Love it!

I know this one because John has posted about it before, but Cattlebaron Rd has a view from about 13 miles. I believe this is where John has photographed both the Dallas and the Fort Worth skyline in the same photo.

I'm curious if Cedar Hill holds the furthest natural* location where the skyline is visible. It's just about 23 miles to Jasmine Circle, but there are probably other places in the State Park where you could see it. I have not explored there much.

*Natural in that it's on the ground, but the view is altered due to trees being removed and roads existing. 

Edit - I may have found one even further east, when coming down 303 towards DBU. 23.7 miles. Never been here personally but I believe that's the skyline on streetview.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:36 AM

Austin, that is the skyline on the Streetview that you referenced. 

#10 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 11:37 AM

This one reminds me a bit of Mansfield Highway in Kennedale, where you can get a quick glance after cresting a hill. About 11 miles of distance.

Love it!

I know this one because John has posted about it before, but Cattlebaron Rd has a view from about 13 miles. I believe this is where John has photographed both the Dallas and the Fort Worth skyline in the same photo.

I'm curious if Cedar Hill holds the furthest natural* location where the skyline is visible. It's just about 23 miles to Jasmine Circle, but there are probably other places in the State Park where you could see it. I have not explored there much.

*Natural in that it's on the ground, but the view is altered due to trees being removed and roads existing. 

Edit - I may have found one even further east, when coming down 303 towards DBU. 23.7 miles. Never been here personally but I believe that's the skyline on streetview.

Austin, your Jasmine Circle find....that's awesome!

I'm trying recall if you can see our skyline from Prayer Mountain / Mountain Creek Community Church 5950 Eagle Ford Dr, Dallas, TX 75249.  Pretty sure you can but having trouble finding a photo to verify.

https://goo.gl/maps/grbkagWK91yu9c6YA

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:21 PM

I have ridden my bicycle all through those streets on the Cedar Hill Ridge, and there are multiple streets that give a distant view of the Fort Worth skyline.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:37 PM

It's not near as far away as some of yours (12 miles), but I posted a photo here one time of the skyline from the entrance of Bedford Boys Ranch Park, now Generations Park.  The Google view is bad because visibility was terrible when it was taken.  I'll look for the photo on the forum.

Edit: Here's the link to my photo.  I can't believe that was more than 11 years ago.  Visibility wasn't great the day I took it and it's a little overexposed.

http://www.fortworth...ic=3947&p=59046

#13 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:43 PM

It's not near as far away as some of yours (12 miles), but I posted a photo here one time of the skyline from the entrance of Bedford Boys Ranch Park, now Generations Park.  The Google view is bad because visibility was terrible when it was taken.  I'll look for the photo on the forum.

Edit: Here's the link to my photo.  I can't believe that was more than 11 years ago.  Visibility wasn't great the day I took it and it's a little overexposed.

http://www.fortworth...ic=3947&p=59046

JBB, Here's your post...

4245149777_5b16ae2154_b.jpg

#14 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 24 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

I find these really fascinating.

Google Earth has a Viewshed function, but the radius it checks is not far enough.

I took a few minutes to see what it would take to pull it together in Mathematica since it has lots of data sources -- I'm sure it can be done, but not a middle-of-the-work-day project.

I expect that there are other sites out there that can calculate viewshed, or line of site, or estimated horizon.  None of them are going to have great accuracy since the elevation data grids are only so big and those errors magnify out, but it might interestingly provide some clues of unexpected locations to check out.

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 03:35 PM

Since I have ridden bicycles over many of the county roads in all directions from Fort Worth, I could probably come up with many more locations where the skyline can be seen.  There are numerous locations on several ridges in Parker County where you can see the skyline, and I think one of those locations is fairly far away.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

Intersection of Shelby and Banks in Southern Tarrant County with the Forest Hill Water Tower between.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 08:27 PM

Austin, your Jasmine Circle find....that's awesome!

A popular HS hangout. Those "no loitering" signs are there for a reason!

Six Flags Oil Derrick

(Distance to Burnett Plaza = 15.32 miles (as-the-crow-flies))

This makes me thing, surely FW is visible from Reunion Tower? I've not been in years, and I can't find a photo that shows the Westward view.

Intersection of Shelby and Banks in Southern Tarrant County with the Forest Hill Water Tower between.

Ooh that's a good one. I lived in Rendon for a bit and there's a few funny gaps where you look over and think "Is that what I think it is?" That also reminds me of another, the overpass of Hidden Creek Pkwy over 35, which is nearly 16 miles away.

Speaking of 35, the view from the North side of town at Heritage Trace offers an almost completely unobstructed view. I've really not spent a lot of time that direction, so I'm sure there are more. 

Also to the north, but much more obstructed, is the view from the Eagle Mountain Lake dam. However, this is probably pushing the definition of "skyline" and is really more "tops of some buildings".

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:16 PM

This makes me thing, surely FW is visible from Reunion Tower? I've not been in years, and I can't find a photo that shows the Westward view.

I can't remember which floor of the Omni this is from, but the FW skyline is in the middle of the photo with Reunion Tower in the foreground.  I completely forgot about this photo.  Right at 30 miles away.  You can also see a AT&T Stadium and the nearly complete Globe Life Field (photo was taken on 2/29/2020).

60461014915__82448176-4B51-4C34-8B9B-BE1

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:24 PM

The view from Reunion Tower is actually quite a bit better than this view from the Omni.  Many years ago, I attended a party on the roof of the Kirby Building in Dallas.  From there, you could see Downtown Fort Worth.  It is 17 stories.  Quite a few of the buildings in Downtown Dallas have views of the Fort Worth skyline from not very far up. 

In April, when we did the last hotel tour, we were allowed to go to the roof deck/bar at The Sinclair, and you could see the skyline of Dallas from there.

#20 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:09 PM

1.250eaf4d.gif

#21 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:26 PM

Trinity Trail on the levee by Crestwood. I am usually pulling out my camera right about at this point, especially when the setting sun is reflecting off the skyline with a blue sky behind it.

https://goo.gl/maps/whknj3w2MvZiTEERA

#22 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

Here is one of the free online tools for view shed and horizon.  It does not seem very accurate.  I put an estimated height for our downtown and of course the visibility is from ground level without trees, and so very rough.

Sorry -- I left the image huge:

bLkxbG.png

#23 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:01 PM

roverone, I appreciate you sharing this research and the high quality image.  I'd like to know more about the source if you don't mind IM-ing me please?  It looks like it is using google maps as the base map.

#24 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:19 PM

(Note to self...I wonder if other massive cell phone towers and various antennae are specifically perched in places with elevations that are ideal for spotting downtown skyline?)

So I toodk 5 minutes and tested my theory about the communication tower locations today during lunch and worked on the first try (to my surprise)...here's my methodology:

1) went on TAD website interactive map and found the property owner's name of the huge comms tower by Angels' Garden in Mosier Valley.

9kguLFe.png

2) Cross-referenced Owner name to other properties in Tarrant Cty.

cSg5HIu.png

Located the Tower and surrounding hill on google maps (nice view I bet from closer up by their tower)

9GHLsEn.png

uQbXuut.png

Here's a better hill and tower but no street view (this is facing away from downtown but checking the surrounding terrain for best view).

R7ex1V9.png

Found an opening looking south toward downtown on Haslet Cty Line Rd and had to go back a few years on streetviews to find a clearer shot of the buildings (unless that's some trees maybe?)

78y29Ws.png

Well, you get the idea. 

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:15 AM

While not the most distant vantage point, I have always liked the view on west-bound I-30 just before the Beach Street exit.

#26 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:39 AM

House of Blades

#27 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 12:21 PM

Parsons Station. (TX-171 between Cresson and Weatherford)

https://goo.gl/maps/dNp9EfZUwQUdD9zR7

https://goo.gl/maps/npB5EpxobatPsQez9

It might be worth a field trip out here with the right camera equipment to see if both Dallas and Fort Worth skylines are visible from this spot.  Here's the line of sight I used where Bear Creek crosses this driveway and extrapolated it all the way out to Dallas.  Do you think I'm actually seeing Dallas' skyline here and Fort Worth is just out of view to the left?:

ds4fPpl.png

(Actually aligns slightly south of downtown here and slightly north of Dallas.)

5u6jzr9.png

(The odd part about this is it aligns perfectly with my house!)

5iPM2Lh.png

https://www.waymarki...7f-0f550f05dae5

53a7f979-8b12-4b24-8f67-c6738e05abed.JPG

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 12:43 PM

I don't think the Streetview cameras have the resolution to make Dallas from that far away. But, it might be interesting to check out in person. 

Obviously not the right forum, but Dallas having a bigger skyline may be an interesting topic too. I'd think that there are places it's visible from that are further than Fort Worth. For example, I was on the Ennis Bluebonnet Trail last month and there's points there where you can get a glimpse.

#29 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 12:57 PM

I don't think the Streetview cameras have the resolution to make Dallas from that far away. But, it might be interesting to check out in person. 

Obviously not the right forum, but Dallas having a bigger skyline may be an interesting topic too. I'd think that there are places it's visible from that are further than Fort Worth. For example, I was on the Ennis Bluebonnet Trail last month and there's points there where you can get a glimpse.

Roads like that make me want to go buy a motorcycle.

#30 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 04:32 PM

Here are a couple of pictures from the same site a couple years apart.

Sorry -- just crummy cell phone pics.

May 4th, 2019:

FOR96C.jpg

And then more recently, April 11, 2021 -- getting a residence to capture that view:

nntx3b.jpg

You might be able to guess from the view, but this is in the River Hills Neighborhood.

#31 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:13 PM

Thats a nice angle of the skyline, looks really long. 

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 10:13 PM

I took a Sunday drive and you can first see a glimpse of the skyline from where the road crosses the tracks a few miles west. 

I also went out to Parson's Station and could not see the skyline, however the rainy weather probably had an impact on that.

#33 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 12:20 AM

I took a Sunday drive and you can first see a glimpse of the skyline from where the road crosses the tracks a few miles west. 

I also went out to Parson's Station and could not see the skyline, however the rainy weather probably had an impact on that.
Bird of prey caught a snake on your streetview Austin!
https://goo.gl/maps/mtgdczwPQyXNTFXt6
(Scroll up)

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 10:19 AM

That looks like a red-tailed hawk from the Street View capture.  It's still kind of hard to tell.

#35 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:13 AM

I think the skyline view is up a few hundred yards from the Parsons Station Historical marker. There should be a pad site on the north side of the road and you need to look back and to the right.

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:39 PM

On Tx-174 heading North from Joshua into Burleson.

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:00 PM

Austin, I used to have family in Cleburne until they all passed away or moved away.  Back in the 1960s, I remember when my family was driving home from visiting my aunt, uncle, and cousins, that hilltop was the first place where you could see the old CNB digital clock.

#38 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:14 PM

Sam's Club Parking Lot on Bryant Irvin.  Not really surprising, but at the right conditions makes for a nice view of the skyline. 

https://goo.gl/maps/v3o6KFS2BKRFvMAN8

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:25 PM

There's an even better view of the skyline from higher ground on the service road of I-20 in front of Cityview Centre. 

https://www.google.c...!7i16384!8i8192

#40 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:05 PM

It's a beautiful view in the evening when all the buildings are lit up.

Another nice view is from southwest blvd looking west over the railroad tracks by the small walmart. There are the buildings framed by trees along the road.

#41 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 20 January 2022 - 01:58 PM

This is the view from westbound I-30 just before the Beach Street exit.  

https://goo.gl/maps/tvrkenXUV5ha1hSYA

#42 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 12:31 AM

Quail Ln & Trail Lake Dr. - Arlington

https://goo.gl/maps/FLza1wU4do9F8euQ7

Scruggs Dr. and Blvd 26 - Richland Hills:

https://goo.gl/maps/sixCNcHbTF5h13Mp7

kVR91iL.jpg

#43 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:17 PM

2391 E. Berry St.

HXleqID.png

#44 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:37 PM

I went and drove around for fun today since it was nice outside. I could see downtown from state highway 171 between Cresson and Weatherford.

#45 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 10:07 PM

Did you stop at Parsons Station?

#46 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:17 PM

No, I never did stop my car. However I might have to go there again.

#47 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 03:39 PM

I've been meaning to post these but here's a couple more skyline places:

Broadcast Hill, although not real surprising, it's always a stunning view: https://goo.gl/maps/JmU8Hgmq4gWsEw8AA

U0yNieM.png

Western Center Blvd / Eagle Mountain Dam Rd bridge passing over Jacksboro Highway.  

https://goo.gl/maps/PbtoyjL5W6gtP2kJ7

7K5gXeq.png

You can also see it from Jacksboro highway here: https://goo.gl/maps/RmEBsv3w2UGvkVRb6

From the Eagle Mountain Dam (This is a nice Sunday drive if you haven't ever been back here)

https://goo.gl/maps/jxv34FwrK8omF1Hi8

eDVU8Dq.png

Eden Rd. and Business 287 is a straight shot to downtown from this spot.

https://goo.gl/maps/jM5ydbdYBYkMtBXb7

dirfdZd.png

#48 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 07:19 PM

Probably not really surprising to a lot of people, but it wasn't until moving south of downtown that I learned that there are nice views of downtown as one travels north on Hemphill.  The view on google maps just can't quite match reality.

#49 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:00 PM

Yep.  Love those views.

#50 SCHMJDT

SCHMJDT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 12:26 PM

very lucky to have two great views,

first from roof at work, ontop of the roof one morning last year while doing a roof inspection

DRuA5Af.jpg

then the second is from the patio in my backyard on the east side of town

VvTopQH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users