#101 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,423 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

She was also uncomfortable with the length of time the tax would be in effect for the CCPD.  10 years is a long time to tie up these dollars.

#102 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

I agree that it is too long.

#103 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

That was my reason for bolding 10 years.

#104 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

the 1/2cent of CCPD funding is one of the few potential tools that could be used to fund a Visionary transformation of Trinity Metro. Without the means to double, if not more than double, their current budget we really have no hope of making true substantial change.

It seems VEEEEEEEERY suspect to me that just as the 3 recommendations from Nelson/Nygard are being proposed the council is looking to pull the mean of funding away come May while falling back on the lazy excuse of "well this is what the voters wanted."

2010 we were told a streetcar was too expense which was to need $80M or less of public funds to open yet by 2014 the city magically found $250M for Dickies, not council the millions and millions in corporate "incentives" given away over the past decade.

if the CCPD is to be extended for 10years you could easily say this is an additional $1.5 BILLION to the FWPD on top of their standard budget.

#105 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

This appears to be a busy week for anyone interested in attending local transportation meetings.

This Wednesday, I plan on attending the DART D2 tunnel meeting at 11:30am (I have other plans that evening). This Thursday, I plan on attending the TXDOT Hwy. 287 expansion meeting.

So, it looks like I may go to the Transit Moves meeting in the middle of nowhere on Saturday morning. At least I can drive there now. Two years ago, I wouldn't be able to do that.

Doesn't look like I will attend the TXDOT 287 meeting tonight after all. My dad is off tonight, so I'm going to see him.

I did attend the DART D2 tunnel meeting yesterday. It was interesting to speak with D2 planners. Unfortunately, it appears D2 would not be able to accommodate a potential west Dallas line in the future.

I'm still planning to attend the Transit Moves meeting this Saturday, and will have many comments / suggestions.

-Dylan

#106 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:21 AM

Take the online survey, I believe only one day left.

https://www.surveymo...5CgFXa0sc7qaJ4Q

#107 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

The city has selected their recccomended plan. Public Meetings will be held soon, starting Feb 29th.

#108 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:56 AM

The city has selected their recccomended plan. Public Meetings will be held soon, starting Feb 29th.

Which of the 3 proposals did they select?

#109 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

I don't know the final selection but I know in earlier discussions they had leaned towards a sortoff "2.5" between visionary and aspirational. 

#110 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

Which of the 3 proposals did they select?

We'll find out then.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#111 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:21 PM

Trinity Metro is hiring a firm to design a BRT line on E. Lancaster, so I suspect the city prefers scenario 2 over scenario 3.

Plus, Mayor Price and other influential people don't like the idea of streetcars. I suspect they don't like the idea of full light rail, either.

If Fort Worth does choose BRT over light rail, I hope they design it to feel as much like light rail as possible, and use vehicles that look and feel more like trains than buses.

Here is a BRT line in China that feels like a light rail line:

-Dylan

#112 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:31 PM

Trinity Metro is hiring a firm to design a BRT line on E. Lancaster, so I suspect the city prefers scenario 2 over scenario 3......Plus, Mayor Price and other influential people don't like the idea of streetcars. I suspect they don't like the idea of full light rail, either

I haven't seen a justification, so I ask: what is the so call destination of a rapid bus along East Lancaster?  Wouldn't high frequency be a better service?

Mayor Price is not mayor for life nor is the so call influential people.  A new mayor must be supportive of some kind of rail transit for the core region of Fort Worth. It makes business sense as well as an efficient way to curb cost, to encourage smart development, and transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy for transit.

#113 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

To be honest, I agree that E. Lancaster doesn't have major destinations to warrant BRT / light rail.

But, despite the lack of large destinations along E. Lancaster or elsewhere in the eastern part of town (except maybe Texas Wesleyan), there are a lot of people who live in this part of town, and it has a super wide corridor that can easily accommodate a BRT or light rail line. Also, a line along E. Lancaster could serve Arlington in the future. I've been told Union Pacific refuses to allow their corridor to be used for passenger rail.

Presumably, a BRT or light rail line in this corridor would be high-frequency.

-Dylan

#114 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:52 PM

It might not have any major destinations in our minds but for the neighborhood it's a critical link and by far the busiest route in the system.

#115 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:18 PM

To be honest, I agree that E. Lancaster doesn't have major destinations to warrant BRT / light rail.

But, despite the lack of large destinations along E. Lancaster or elsewhere in the eastern part of town (except maybe Texas Wesleyan), there are a lot of people who live in this part of town, and it has a super wide corridor that can easily accommodate a BRT or light rail line.....

Presumably, a BRT or light rail line in this corridor would be high-frequency.

It might not have any major destinations in our minds but for the neighborhood it's a critical link and by far the busiest route in the system.

I agree with the both of your statements.  It is largely due to my limited perception of what exactly is what BRT.

If it means that East Lancaster is to be a High-frequency Bus Route (HFB) served with smaller carriages but with 10 minutes headway or like it said about the  weather "On the 8's", then for sure I for that.

I would also provide Hemphill with a HFB Route by linking the two routes with the same equipment operating between East Lancaster and South Hemphill.

One added thought.  How is it that Trinity Metro must hire an outside firm to design a BRT?  What does it mean to be known as and to be staffed with Transportation Experts (Director, Engineering, Schedule Planners,etc) and to then be incapable of design a BRT?

Oh another thing, who was the firm hired to design "DASH" that produced the current results?

#116 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:18 PM

Here was the live streamed update from today.

https://youtu.be/B7nKKlCQ8xc

Visionary City was selected but the light rail was cut in favor of BRT. Full cost is expected at $2.8 billion.

#117 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

Basically, Fort Worth chose an enhanced "Aspirational Outlook" (plan #2), not "Visionary City" (plan #3).

Thank you for posting this in time for me to attend the Central Station meeting tomorrow. I had no idea another round of meetings was taking place this month.

-Dylan

#118 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:10 PM

Tarrant Transit posted a link to a video of todays meeting on their Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/...6082083841?s=21

#119 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

Here was the live streamed update from today.

https://youtu.be/B7nKKlCQ8xc

Visionary City was selected but the light rail was cut in favor of BRT. Full cost is expected at $2.8 billion.

*sigh* 

Guess we have to wait another decade or so for actual light rail.

It's better than nothing, but still... 2010 still pisses me off. 

7fwPZnE.png

#120 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:45 PM

.......Visionary City was selected but the light rail was cut in favor of BRT. Full cost is expected at $2.8 billion.

*sigh* .....Guess we have to wait another decade or so for actual light rail.....It's better than nothing, but still... 2010 still pisses me off.

I've already stuck my head in the sand along with the rest of Tarrant Transit. :cry:

o-BONDI-BEACH-1-570.jpg?6

#121 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:40 AM

I'll say this, basically repeating something I brought up earlier:

Houston is almost finished with a BRT line near The Galleria. It is planned to eventually convert into light rail.

HOPEFULLY, we'll take this same approach.

7fwPZnE.png

#122 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

As a concept, I do not fully understand how BRT improves local service.  Isn't it point-to-point service (hubs) that are then served by a spoke system?   What about transit serve for the residents and businesses between the hubs?

#123 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

Bus Rapid Transit is just the term for a group of design techniques, really. Genuine, full-on BRT is basically a light rail line but without tracks - it's ideally totally separate from car traffic, has full-on stations rather than just a sign and a bench, ticketing systems at stations, etc. but a lot of cities will call things "BRT" if they're just slightly nicer buses in regular lanes with, say, traffic signal prioritization (I remember "BRT" being used for the existing East Lancaster service before I moved, which is...a rather loose definition of BRT, but FW transit gonna FW transit) because it sounds good from a marketing perspective.

On "improving local service" - it's a lot faster and higher capacity, so along the same route vs. a conventional bus it can move a lot more people more frequently.

--

Kara B.

#124 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:35 PM

Lancaster will be real BRT with dedicated lanes and stations. I think the other routes will have more trouble pulling it off due to space restriction. Mansfield and Jacksboro Highways could be dark horses for real BRT.

Edit - The City just posted an article on it

http://fortworthtexa...East-Lancaster/

#125 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:29 PM

Excerpted from the City of Fort Worth Government Page:

Features are similar to light rail and will provide a faster and more convenient bus service. BRT includes dedicated lanes, stations in the center of the road and platform ticket validation to speed the boarding process.

Whaaaat!  Mayor Price is sure that Fort Worth does not want light rail; no its not what the people want (scratch people and insert Downtown).

BRT not LRT :blink:

#126 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

gold-standard BRT can also be built-out at a cost of $5-10million per mile, whereas streetcars and/or light-rail can run $25-50million per mile.

#127 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

As it has been earlier posted, Houston is apparently positioning some lines of its BRT to eventually become light rail.  So, BRT is actually the stepping stone to a rail system.

What is exciting is that the options for rail are getting better through technology.  I am closely following the technology under way in the UK of the next generation of rail which is being termed Very Light Rail (VLR). 

VLR is being touted for its capability to be built with less disruption to existing infrastructure and its utilization of battery cells in place of over head power lines.  As Fort Worth implements its BRT; it will eventually transition to a rail which in the coming decade will be less expensive to build.  If projections are correct, $25-50m/mile will not be that day's cost but it will have been driven downward through innovation.

Wikipedia - The concept of 'Very Light Rail' (VLR) has been developed as a way of creating a light rail system at a much lower cost and with much reduced construction times than traditional tramway or light rail systems. The main features of VLR are lightweight vehicles which will be able to hold 50-70 people, which will be battery powered, so avoiding the need for expensive overhead line equipment, these vehicles are proposed to eventually become autonomous, the first test vehicle is due to be manufactured by the Coventry based RDM Group by mid-2020. The second main feature is a form of light track which will be shallower than traditional tram track and so be able to be laid over existing utilities, avoiding the need for these to be relocated, this would require less excavation, and therefore be quicker and less costly to install.

The aim is to reduce the cost of building the system to £7 million ($8.96m) per kilometre ($, substantially less than the £35-60 million ($44 - 77m) per kilometre of traditional tram systems.

See, Fort Worth will have the opportunity to make the transition when and if it decides to do so.  I can not imagine a reason why DOT would not help Fort Worth to implement the latest innovations in transit.

#128 JSJ

JSJ

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

I took the DASH, for the first time, to FWCS  today.  Very nice and the USB port I used worked!

I attended the Transit Moves meeting.  I applaud Fort Worth for creating a new transportation position - Mobility and Innovations Officer - and hiring Chad Edwards.  I think Chad is doing a good job and we are lucky to have someone with his expertise and experience. 

That said - Fort Worth seems to continue to do nothing about additional funding.  I mentioned at the meeting I am very concerned that I do not see the mayor or any council member, other than the AMAZING Ann Zedeh, even broach the subject of using some of the  0.5% CCPD money for transit.  I understand it is a political hot potato for an elected official to say – “hey, let’s take a look at this issue and see if some of the CCPD money can be used for transit.” 

I am very unhappy that the CCPD comes up for renewal in May and our elected officials consider it an untouchable sacred cow.  The 10-year term is appalling.  Now is the time with the buzz about the proposed new City Transportation Master Plan to discuss funding.  Our peer and aspirant cities dedicate a full 1% to transit.  I know the PD needs additional funds with our continued growth, but continued growth also makes the case to dedicate additional funds for mobility.

I put Chad on the spot, since he works for the city, with my comments and he said we need to make our views known to the mayor and our council members.  I have done this, but what else can be done, if anything?

#129 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

I took the DASH, for the first time, to FWCS  today.  Very nice and the USB port I used worked!

I attended the Transit Moves meeting.  I applaud Fort Worth for creating a new transportation position - Mobility and Innovations Officer - and hiring Chad Edwards.  I think Chad is doing a good job and we are lucky to have someone with his expertise and experience. 

That said - Fort Worth seems to continue to do nothing about additional funding.  I mentioned at the meeting I am very concerned that I do not see the mayor or any council member, other than the AMAZING Ann Zedeh, even broach the subject of using some of the  0.5% CCPD money for transit.  I understand it is a political hot potato for an elected official to say – “hey, let’s take a look at this issue and see if some of the CCPD money can be used for transit.” 

I am very unhappy that the CCPD comes up for renewal in May and our elected officials consider it an untouchable sacred cow.  The 10-year term is appalling.  Now is the time with the buzz about the proposed new City Transportation Master Plan to discuss funding.  Our peer and aspirant cities dedicate a full 1% to transit.  I know the PD needs additional funds with our continued growth, but continued growth also makes the case to dedicate additional funds for mobility.

I put Chad on the spot, since he works for the city, with my comments and he said we need to make our views known to the mayor and our council members.  I have done this, but what else can be done, if anything?

I didn't realize there was another forum member in attendance. I was there as well, and asked whether BRT lanes would be inside of medians or along outside curbs (the answer is inside of medians).

It's interesting that the plan's operating costs would be 3x higher than current operating costs. Even if Trinity Metro could collect twice as much sales tax, it wouldn't be enough to cover the plan's operating costs. Perhaps all of the 10-minute headway routes should be 15-minute headway routes instead.

• JSJ likes this

-Dylan

#130 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:51 PM

At today's meeting, Chad Edwards told us that BRT corridors and stations will be designed to be compatible with light rail if an upgrade is necessary in the future.

-Dylan

#131 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:17 PM

At today's meeting, Chad Edwards told us that BRT corridors and stations will be designed to be compatible with light rail if an upgrade is necessary in the future.

Figured... that's a little relieving. 

7fwPZnE.png

#132 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:56 PM

The seed is being planted by BRT.

The short story: "We are gonna get there, but kicking and screaming being drag all the way."

#133 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

I finally got around to watching the digital presentation last night, and... well... 25 YEARS! to implement left me feeling VERY deflated.

#134 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

The recccomended plan is on the website

https://www.transitm...oject-documents

#135 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:49 PM

It does not matter which plan they choose to do, it is not going to proceed at any pace as long as the 13th largest city in the country transit agency Trinity Metro's services provided and ridership are not in the top 50. 

That old saying you get what you are willing to pay for seems very appropriate here.

#136 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 12:12 AM

It does not matter which plan they choose to do, it is not going to proceed at any pace as long as the 13th largest city in the country transit agency Trinity Metro's services provided and ridership are not in the top 50. 

That old saying you get what you are willing to pay for seems very appropriate here.

How does Texas' largest transit authority in revenues fall behind in Houston and San Antonio in overall daily ridership?  "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones".

The critical issue facing TM/Fort Worth will be how well it focuses like a laser on its core service area where its can maximize ridership numbers. TM should connect critical points of interests within the immediate core at such high frequency such that the public will find it both desirable and affordable.  Spreading its service too thin is not always as productive as is meeting the needs of those in most need of transit.

Fort Worth is currently, one hopes, showing a determination to address density, not because it is leading the way, but because the rental/housing market is delivering multifamily units at greater numbers than single family units which will bring eventually bring about a threshold of density that makes transit viable.  TM still clings to a 1970's notion of "regionalism" which theorized that suburbs neighborhoods/communities will give up their autos in exchange for public transit.  Today and going forward, TM might want to retool its model from a regional one to a centralist one.  Perhaps then the numbers will get us into the top 50.

#137 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:44 AM

The critical issue facing TM/Fort Worth will be how well it focuses like a laser on its core service area where its can maximize ridership numbers. TM should connect critical points of interests within the immediate core at such high frequency such that the public will find it both desirable and affordable.  Spreading its service too thin is not always as productive as is meeting the needs of those in most need of transit.

Fort Worth is currently, one hopes, showing a determination to address density, not because it is leading the way, but because the rental/housing market is delivering multifamily units at greater numbers than single family units which will bring eventually bring about a threshold of density that makes transit viable.  TM still clings to a 1970's notion of "regionalism" which theorized that suburbs neighborhoods/communities will give up their autos in exchange for public transit.  Today and going forward, TM might want to retool its model from a regional one to a centralist one.  Perhaps then the numbers will get us into the top 50.

I believe TM clings to regionalism is not theorized upon suburbs giving up their autos in exchange for public transit. The reason TM and all other transit agencies in the USA cling to regionalism is because that is what the FTA "new starts" and "small starts" programs are willing to place high on the lists to fund. Yes, the root of all evils is money!

Yes, Dallas pitched in and Oak Cliff got its streetcar built with FTA funding while Fort Worth declined. But look at what Dallas is asking DART to do so it can stop subsidizing the streetcars operations and maintenance every year.  The Oak Cliff streetcar will not have free fares for long. Even with free fares, these streetcars run empty most of the day. What do you think will happen to its very low ridership once the free fares disappear? 

At least the often derived TexRail train whose riders must pay a fare attracts more riders than that free streetcar - yet there are people here wishing they had streetcars instead? Abe Lincoln was correct, you just can not please everybody all the time. 

What I like about the new trasportation plan is that it is based upon local funding realities, that Trinity Metro funding will be limited to a half penny sales tax for years to come, and that means it is goinmg to take at least two decades to build.  There was a point in time where light rail was the cheapest air pollution free solution, but that is not true anymore. Electric powered buses running on batteries may be the cheapest solution now and for the foreseeable future.  And cheap is always great politically when discussing yearly funding for operations and maintenance for decades to come.

#138 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

There is some inconsistency of labeling in the plan.  In the map BRT is red and Rapid Bus is orange, both stated as every 10 minutes all day.

In the block descriptions of the services, BRT is orange, and every 10 minutes while Rapid Bus is red at "least every 15 minutes".

My house is 55 feet from a proposed Rapid Bus line.  I want to understand the impact of "early morning" to "late night" every 10-15 minutes on the future of life here.

Will they be quiet vehicles?  Will they be low / zero emission?  Will they ultimately take cars off the already busy road, or simply be additive?

Will the Limited Stops mean that that it provides no benefit to the neighborhood?

For a few years I tried to use the bus system.  At the time there was no visibility of the bus's location, if it happened to come by early, or if the walk light was particularly slow that day and the bus zoomed by, it meant an hour delay.  Trip time to downtown was on the order of 400% of an uber ride.  It has been a while, but at the time, a busy day would mean that there were 5 people on the bus when I boarded.

The schedule makes a big difference.  But even if ridership went up by the 4x - 6x of the increase in schedule (unlikely), that would still mean large, mostly empty busses.  The idea of living next to that many empty busses going by every day is unpleasant.

Full busses, especially full busses that can get some of the cars off of the road would be great.  Or smaller / quieter right-sized busses going by would be no different than what I have today.

As some people on this forum know, I've done just about everything possible to mitigate the impact of the noise, and at this point need some cooperation from quieter vehicles.

#139 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:39 AM

1. I believe TM clings to regionalism is not theorized upon suburbs giving up their autos in exchange for public transit. The reason TM and all other transit agencies in the USA cling to regionalism is because that is what the FTA "new starts" and "small starts" programs are willing to place high on the lists to fund. Yes, the root of all evils is money!

2. Yes, Dallas pitched in and Oak Cliff got its streetcar built with FTA funding while Fort Worth declined. But look at what Dallas is asking DART to do so it can stop subsidizing the streetcars operations and maintenance every year.  The Oak Cliff streetcar will not have free fares for long. Even with free fares, these streetcars run empty most of the day. What do you think will happen to its very low ridership once the free fares disappear? At least the often derived TexRail train whose riders must pay a fare attracts more riders than that free streetcar - yet there are people here wishing they had streetcars instead? Abe Lincoln was correct, you just can not please everybody all the time. 

3. What I like about the new trasportation plan is that it is based upon local funding realities, that Trinity Metro funding will be limited to a half penny sales tax for years to come, and that means it is goinmg to take at least two decades to build.  There was a point in time where light rail was the cheapest air pollution free solution, but that is not true anymore. Electric powered buses running on batteries may be the cheapest solution now and for the foreseeable future.  And cheap is always great politically when discussing yearly funding for operations and maintenance for decades to come.

1. Yes. NCTCOG/DART/TM have the theory that it is their objective to provide an alternative to the automobile.  The problem with their theory is that North Texas really prefers the automobile over any other alternative. I'm not saying that the people in North Texas are acting irrational because when the lifestyle of North Texas has been dictated three industrial complexes: "cheap fuel" (Oil/Gas Industry) "plentiful cheap land" (Real Estate Industry) and "massive highways/roads/tolls roads" (TXDOT Industry).  This dictation has resulted for the people in North Texas choices for which it could not refuse.  With North Texas, its like the ancient riddle between "the egg or the chicken" and which came first  "the O/G-REI-DOT or the NT lifestyle"  To be intellectually honest, the fact that FTA places the continuation of the O/G-REI-DOT complexes funding highest in list simply attests to the unchecked influence these three industrial complexes jointly coordinate by forming one of the most powerful lobbying force.

Having listened in on the Dallas Council debating the OC Streetcar, I understand that the Dallas Bloc within DART is very upset with street car because DART, it their opinion, has its priorities backward; that is all I need to say about that matter.

2. Now about Tarrant Express Rail being derived; it is not from me. Tarrant Express Rail had as stated from the onset by mayors/councils of Fort Worth had one primary goal: connect Downtown Fort Worth to its Airport.  TM, cleverly packaged it as commuter rail which may or may not have been necessary to obtain funding, but that was TM approach.  The record will show that I am not upset with the numbers and see the line as being essential to the tourism, residential, hospitality, and convention industry which will change Downtown to a Central Tourism District. I think more businesses in Downtown should comp customers who ride into Downtown via Tarrant Express Rail or Trinity Rail Express which could improve ridership numbers.

I advocate for a street car over standard light rail that will connect to the three recognized districts within Fort Worth while at the same time I am okay with advocating for BRT as it can actually be effective if operated properly.  New technology will make rail more affordable. I am most excited about the research efforts in the UK for the next generation of rail:Very Light Rail (VLR); that when implemented will cause the dramatic reduction in costs and affordability for a city like Fort Worth to implement; and the electrified bus will also reduce costs over time.  Bur Lincoln in this case could be wrong: Fort Worth can have its Airport Connector (commuter line) and its VLR; and it can also have BRT. Thus pleasing me at least and maybe a few others too.

3. The local funding levels are what they are now, but with any plan and with a campaign that informs the public of the benefits of increasing the funding levels, it can change.  I find it fascinating that one can hold the idea that things permanently set in concrete to never be changed or revisited; and the holding that idea only points to the tunnel thinking indicative of a mindset that does not appreciate that change is possible.  When the current regime which holds such skepticim for rail transit is no more, than a more progressive council and mayor could prioritize a plan which is more responsive to the times.

#140 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:06 PM

What I like about the new trasportation plan is that it is based upon local funding realities, that Trinity Metro funding will be limited to a half penny sales tax for years to come, and that means it is goinmg to take at least two decades to build.  There was a point in time where light rail was the cheapest air pollution free solution, but that is not true anymore. Electric powered buses running on batteries may be the cheapest solution now and for the foreseeable future.  And cheap is always great politically when discussing yearly funding for operations and maintenance for decades to come.

The current city transit proposal assumes that Trinity Metro can more than double its operating revenue, whether through a sales tax increase or another tax source.

-Dylan

#141 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:26 PM

There's definitely a few things that feel left out, like no rapid bus on White Settlement. 

I do like the focus on frequency though, it will be interesting to see how the city commits to helping make it happen. 

#142 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

There's definitely a few things that feel left out, like no rapid bus on White Settlement. 

I do like the focus on frequency though, it will be interesting to see how the city commits to helping make it happen. 

It's excellent to see in words a stronger commitment to frequent headways, finally. I really hope they can pull it off.

TriMet's Frequent Service Lines are the backbone of the PDX system, on both light rail and bus routes: https://trimet.org/s...uentservice.htm - I would hope Trinity will really start pushing hard for more frequent headways now.

--

Kara B.

#143 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:35 PM

TriMet's Frequent Service Lines are the backbone of the PDX system, on both light rail and bus routes: https://trimet.org/s...uentservice.htm - I would hope Trinity will really start pushing hard for more frequent headways now.

Do you know how the ridership is on buses vs rail?

Edit - APTA says Portland's average weekday bus ridership is 183,500 per weekday, Light Rail is 117,800. I'll bet there's a huge bank for buck difference there. 

#144 Lowyn

Lowyn

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:33 PM

Hello everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I grew up near Fort Worth, and now am in graduate school for planning and am interning at a transit agency that serves a similarly sized area, population size, and budget as Trinity Metro does. 

Does anyone know if there is any proposed zoning changes that are out/coming about in relation to the transit plan? I was looking at the Fort Worth Draft 2020 comprehensive plan and it doesn't have any mention of it yet. 

As for the plan itself, it looks like an alright plan to me. I think its a good decision to prioritize frequency over other more costly infrastructure, but it does feel like a much shorter term vision with commuter rail added on top. I also wonder why there are so many microtransit portions in the plan? In my experience with them, they are very costly and aren't that great. They top out at around six passengers an hour and if you get three in an area they cost the same as one bus running the route all day. Microtransit is the hot thing right now though. 

#145 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:50 PM

Welcome Lowyn

I hope your internship will provide us with some excellent input that we can mull over. :)

#146 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:18 PM

Hello everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I grew up near Fort Worth, and now am in graduate school for planning and am interning at a transit agency that serves a similarly sized area, population size, and budget as Trinity Metro does. 

Does anyone know if there is any proposed zoning changes that are out/coming about in relation to the transit plan? I was looking at the Fort Worth Draft 2020 comprehensive plan and it doesn't have any mention of it yet. 

As for the plan itself, it looks like an alright plan to me. I think its a good decision to prioritize frequency over other more costly infrastructure, but it does feel like a much shorter term vision with commuter rail added on top. I also wonder why there are so many microtransit portions in the plan? In my experience with them, they are very costly and aren't that great. They top out at around six passengers an hour and if you get three in an area they cost the same as one bus running the route all day. Microtransit is the hot thing right now though. 

to your first part, this is something I've asked but gotten no reply. Transit policy and land-use policies really should go hand-in-hand.  I've asked if anyone at city hall is advocating to upz-one along the high-frequency corridors or even perhaps implementing some value-capture policies around that growth but have only heard crickets in response...

#147 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

Two interesting bits of news from the upcoming planning/operating/marketing committee

1. The first presention of the bus reorganization is happening. The presentation does not make any recommendations but is more of a "state of the system" type report. 

2. There's a nearly $10 million budget request for FY 2021. I'm not sure who the budget is being requested from.  The funds would be spent on,

f8ITZmO.png

The #6 (McCart) and #25 (Crosstown) would go from 30 minute to 15 minute frequencies. They are currently the 4th and 5th busiest routes in the system, so adding them to the frequent network should really be beneficial. 

#148 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 06:29 PM

https://www.fortwort...ership-projects

City partnering on four regional transportation projects

Published on May 12, 2022

The City Council on Tuesday approved a resolution in support of four regional transit projects and committing funds to the projects.

The city is partnering with the North Central Texas Council of Governments, Texas Department of Transportation and Trinity Metro to advance the four regionally significant projects in the city limits.

Here’s a rundown of the projects and the city’s role in each:

East Lancaster Avenue
This project will reconstruct East Lancaster Avenue from Dottie Lynn Parkway to downtown as a multimodal corridor that includes high-comfort pedestrian and bicycle accommodations, enhanced transit, broadband and other “smart streets” features.

The North Central Texas Council of Governments intends to submit one or more federal grant applications on behalf of the city and region in support of TxDOT’s East Lancaster Corridor project. The project needs to be further developed to ensure the project is competitive. City, TxDOT and NCTCOG staff are working to coordinate a unified planning and implementation process to ensure that the project is competitive for federal funding, based on community vision and is delivered in a timely fashion. Once the process and timeline have been defined, the city and TxDOT will begin planning and engineering work this fall.

The city will be asked to contribute approximately $16.5 million, consisting of $6,430,160 in local funds being reallocated from the TEXRail Extension project, plus $10 million for reconstruction as part of the 2022 Bond Program. The project already has commitments of $40 million in other federal funds from the Regional Transportation Council and $10 million in state funds from TxDOT.

TEXRail extension
Trinity Metro’s TEXRail extension project will extend the existing commuter rail service 2.1 miles south from T&P Station in downtown Fort Worth to a new Near Southside station to be located at Mistletoe Boulevard between Jerome Street and behind Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center.

The project is a necessary step to eventually extend the route to near Chisolm Trail Parkway.

The federal cost share of the project is made up $71.4 million in funds from the Regional Transportation Council; $38.9 million in leftover funds from the initial TEXRail project to the airport; and $11.3 million in federal funds being reallocated from the Katy Lofts project. The Regional Transportation Council has also allocated the equivalent of $21.1 million in Transportation Development Credits for the project.

The bulk of the local match will be $48 million from Trinity Metro. The city will be asked to provide $7.16 million in local funding toward the project to match federal funds.

City and Trinity Metro staff will be working to secure a donation of the Baylor Scott & White-owned land for the future Mistletoe Station.

Trinity Lakes Station
The Regional Transportation Council is committing $26,474,000 in federal funds and the equivalent of $5,348,000 in Transportation Development Credits toward Trinity Metro’s new Trinity Lakes Trinity Railway Express Station and associated private development near the station.

I-35W Guaranteed Transit
The Regional Transportation Council committed more than $16 million to this project, which will reimburse transit riders using the Trinity Metro route in the I-35W managed lanes between downtown and Alliance if they arrive after the scheduled arrival time. There is not a financial commitment from the city in the project, but it is an innovative service that will increase the reliability of transit.

#149 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:35 PM

So how much of my previous post from the city is new news? I know we have discussed TexRail extension and Trinity Lakes. Guaranteed Transit is news to me and so was Lancaster Corridor. Still wrapping my head around that one:

This project will reconstruct East Lancaster Avenue from Dottie Lynn Parkway to downtown as a multimodal corridor that includes high-comfort pedestrian and bicycle accommodations, enhanced transit, broadband and other smart streets features.

#150 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:49 PM

I was looking at a map of Trinity Metro the other day to get an idea of what might be involved if something terrible were to happen and I was without a car. I could technically take it to work though I'd have to walk a ways, but there are so many places it doesn't go.

I wonder why transit planners don't focus more efforts on serving "hot spots" where you have a lot of retail/service industry jobs and affordable apartments, hospitals, community colleges, etc even if those are surrounded by otherwise low density and not transit-serviceable suburbs? To be fair, Trinity Metro does run a lot of routes down to the Hulen Mall area and towards Alliance. I think Bryant Irvin south of 30 should have more frequent buses with stops at all the multifamily along there and then reaching a terminus at the hospital. I figure there are probably people who would ride that.

My vision for transit would be to have more grid-like moderate frequency local bus service in south and southwest and far north fort worth and then have "spines" for cross town trips. Like TexRail to South FW, a I-35 express lane bus (with a proper coach style bus fleet), Camp Bowie West BRT down to 820, etc.

Also there should more specialized services using small buses, like the zoo shuttles, a circulator around the medical district, and one-off weekend buses to Marion Sansom Park, etc. Low ridership, but these wouldn't run more than a couple trips on random Saturdays and would give people with limited transportation more mobility. They do that in Denver, at least at one time there was a conventional RTD city bus route than ran very weird and limited schedules to the ski area that's just west of boulder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users