42 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:56 PM

The forum has talked about North City before. It was where the Ikea was going to go. The development is perhaps the best located site in all of Fort Worth for something of this scale. The developments first phase along Tarrant pky is already underway. A good chunk is just suburban style box stores but it does have a few mixed use area that look pretty nice. 

NorthCity-EatStreet-2.jpg

NorthCity_Layout05_1500px.jpg

https://northcityfw.com/

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

Oh wow... this does NOT seem to fit that area at all... 

Not complaining, just sayin'. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

Where did this proposed development come from?  Any news story?  This looks on scale between a Solana Village and a Los Colinas.

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:23 AM

Where did this proposed development come from?  Any news story?  This looks on scale between a Solana Village and a Los Colinas.

It's been talked about for a minute...

7fwPZnE.png

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:44 AM

The "Eat Street" kinda reminds me of Beckert Park in Addison which is one of the coolest new-urbanist developments around IMO. I guess Windrose Ave might be another comparison, especially with the foodhall, but I'm guessing that a bit more upscale. 

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:01 AM

First time I've heard or read about this, maybe I missed something.  But I just went on their website.  This is a fabulous design proposal for what they are touting as the "urban core for Tarrant County and beyond..."  And I thought AllianceTexas was the up-and-coming urban community!

Not being overly critical here but, just like AllianceTexas, seems like the North City promoters are striving to establish a municipality apart from Fort Worth.  I foresee a de-annexation effort sometime in the distant future--or maybe not; however, they do acknowledge they're located in north Fort Worth.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

North City, like AllianceTexas, is just the name of the development.  Like Clear Fork or Crockett Row or West Bend.  Is there some evidence I'm missing that they are trying to de-annex and create their own municipality?

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:00 PM

Not being overly critical here but, just like AllianceTexas, seems like the North City promoters are striving to establish a municipality apart from Fort Worth.  I foresee a de-annexation effort sometime in the distant future--or maybe not; however, they do acknowledge they're located in north Fort Worth.

Honestly, I've been thinking that Alliance would somehow become its own municipality apart from Fort Worth, as well as the Walsh Ranch development someday.

7fwPZnE.png

#9 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:03 PM

It seems like a compromise design between the suburban power center, parking lot driven initial phases and the planned suburban/urban design for later phase.

IMO the more suburban parts could be tweaked to make them more genuinely walkable (just push the buildings closer to streets and provide super easy sidewalk connections and crossings across all driveways/streets.  Can redevelop those in future. 

I did notice the Tarrant County talk and relatively lack of Fort Worth - I would strongly suggest they fix that and tie it in, symbolically with the rest of the city.  Otherwise it gives appearance of a more floating, disconnected, random single street of urbanity rather than part of the city, which it is and will be.  I think its much more compelling if is shown as part of a future vision (even if its just theirs) of a more urban, bustling northern FW in the future.  

Honestly, I've been thinking that Alliance would somehow become its own municipality apart from Fort Worth, as well as the Walsh Ranch development someday.

no way. it straddles a few cities but is mostly FW I think.

#10 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:37 PM

The denser part of this development loosely reminds me of Southlake Town Square, except the buildings are a bit taller.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be easy to serve this part of town with transit.

-Dylan

#11 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

The denser part of this development loosely reminds me of Southlake Town Square, except the buildings are a bit taller.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be easy to serve this part of town with transit.

I don't think the people living in that area want it... 

7fwPZnE.png

#12 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:49 AM

people living in that area also don't want higher property taxes,

more density along with better commercial developments are key to improving our terrible 60/40 (residential to business) property tax burden.

low-density single family homes simply cannot pay the bills

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:24 PM

I agree with you Jeriat.

One of the things that we should begin to accept is that suburban sprawl is anti-transit.  You will not persuade those who freely chose to live in far flung neighborhoods to support transit or use it in numbers which will justify the cost of reaching them.

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:50 PM

Lots of pavement, several hundred acres by rough eyeball; when it rains where is all that water going to go? Fossil Creek Right? I don't see any reservoirs or retention ponds/lakes on the fanciful illustration, is there going to be an assessment on the development to improve the channels downstream to handle the flood potential?

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:12 AM

Yeah all of those questions do seem to be answered.  I really don't like this project much; to be labelled a north "city"  it could stand more density and vertical-ism

#16 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:13 AM

Yeah all of those questions do seem to be answered.  I really don't like this project much; to be labelled a north "city"  it could stand more density and vertical-ism

Yes, that's why I thought, dimension-wise, it appears to be a low-profile Los Colinas.  A cross between a mixed-use project and a corporate campus.  Somewhat like Solana Village, where I did some work a few years back. 

Now (no pun intended!) if we can get Tesla to be their next-door neighbor, wouldn't that be something!

#17 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:27 PM

He may be visionary and a hard worker, but do you REALLY want Musk as a neighbor? 

#18 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:39 AM

No, I am not particularly a fan of Musk or Tesla.  But I do not think Fort Worth should be picky in choosing corporate newcomers.  A corporate campus, whoever are its occupants, is a significant addition to our city. This was a just a side point about further economic development of possibly a large tract in the vicinity of the proposed North City that would result in a significant urbanized expansion of the area. 

I understand the need for transportation infrastructure as well as vital municipal services, to support North City and its environs.  Measures should be taken to prevent storm drainage runoff.  I know the tax consequences, as well.  But I want Fort Worth to grow in employment, population, and industry.  Not to stagnate.

No, I do not want any future development to become a satellite community like Saginaw, Keller, Richland Hills, etc.  I do not favor de-annexation.  This growth should remain in Fort Worth and our city should be deservedly  recognized apart from Tarrant County, the Metroplex, and the North Texas region.

#19 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:14 PM

Site plan and more renderings

NorthCity-location-6.jpg

NorthCity-EatStreet-1.jpg

NorthCity_Architect_Drawing_03.jpg

NorthCity_Architect_Drawing_04.jpg

#20 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:53 PM

Suburban on steroids. That's it.

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

Its although neither the pandemic or amazon never ever happened!

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:18 AM

Community Impact has an article out on North City

https://communityimp...rth-fort-worth/

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:34 AM

502 Bad Gateway

7fwPZnE.png

#24 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

85375.jpg

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:39 PM

North City went before the Urban Design Commission this week.

https://fortworthgov...=5&clip_id=4082

#26 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,695 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:38 PM

Some of the apartments on this project are going before zoning next week. Interesting that they are 8 floors. Curious to see what type of construction is used.

fzNUVpu.png

#27 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 11:40 PM

Some of the apartments on this project are going before zoning next week. Interesting that they are 8 floors. Curious to see what type of construction is used.

fzNUVpu.png

I will never understand the need for these kinds of apartments in the suburbs. 

7fwPZnE.png

#28 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 04 September 2021 - 12:24 AM

Easy construction and they maximize their cap rate because they can put so many units on a smaller plot of land.  Much cheaper to build than garden style apartment complexes

#29 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 04:48 PM

Easy construction and they maximize their cap rate because they can put so many units on a smaller plot of land.  Much cheaper to build than garden style apartment complexes

The higher density would help the investment simply that it amortizes the land and infrastructure costs over more units.  It wouldnt affect the operating income multiple value (cap rate), but should help the total value (b/c operating income should be higher).

If I'm reading that site plan correctly, there are two apartment buildings with 100% surface parking.  The buildings are 8 floors, which means they'll need to be 5 floors wood over 3 floors concrete podium or perhaps metal studs (not sure what  # floors is allowed by code for metal studs).  

That would actually costs a lot more than 4 story wood frame on grade with surface parking.  Going higher than 4 stories costs more.  Going higher than 5 costs even more than that. What is unusual is that they're going 8 floors instead of 5 with a garage. 

The way the buildings are built up to the curb is WAY better than setting it all behind a parking lot.  They refer to these as "gurban" (garden + urban).  The Firestone Apts in Downtown (the ones south of 7th Street) are examples of this.  Lower density, surface parking, but parking is concealed behind the buildings. 

This overall masterplan is a step in the right direction toward a more walkable, denser form.  Its FAR from perfect but is way better than more conventional "power centers" where you absolutely have to drive even within the project.   The details will matter, but hoping our elected officials and appointed zoning and board of adjustments commissioners don't screw this up by pushing an even more auto-centric design. 

#30 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 05:58 PM

I wasn't aware Fort Worth was considered for an Ikea store at one time. Is it because they chose Grand Prairie instead? Or was there going to be a third metroplex store?

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 06:39 PM

Searching back through the forum, it looks like the Grand Prairie store was in announced in 2015 and the talk of the north Fort Worth store started in 2017, so I don't think that's why the Fort Worth store didn't happen.  

#32 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 06:52 PM

Interesting. I know around that time Ikea decided to stop building its large stores in the US and switched to small-format "urban" (read: rich area) stores. San Antonio and Milwaukee were among the last. Nashville's got cancelled.

#33 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 03:51 PM

Fort Worth's location of Portillo's will be in North City, https://fortworth.cu...t-dogs-tarrant/

portillo-s-hot-dogs.jpg?id=30036878&widt

#34 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 04:42 PM

I just recently binge watched The Bear on Hulu and I've been dying to try an Italian beef sandwich like they feature on the show (mostly season 1).  There are more places around here that sell them than I expected and Portillo's is one of them.

#35 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 05:50 PM

I just recently binge watched The Bear on Hulu and I've been dying to try an Italian beef sandwich like they feature on the show (mostly season 1).  There are more places around here that sell them than I expected and Portillo's is one of them.

I just binged it too. Walloon’s has an Italian Beef on their menu!

#36 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 06:13 PM

It's in Alliance... which is still a beating. 

But at least it's not as far as The Colony. 

• TLA likes this

7fwPZnE.png

#37 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 04 August 2023 - 08:55 PM

I havent watched the show, but Jimmys Food Store in Dallas is most likely what you're looking for.

Adrian

#38 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 09:47 PM

I may check that out.  There's a Chicago eats shop in Hurst that gets great reviews that I would like to check out, but the hours are pretty limited.  Weinberger's in Grapevine has Italian beef on their menu.

#39 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 04 August 2023 - 10:51 PM

I won't try it unless I'm in the area or once all the construction has finally ended

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 10:59 PM

I won't try it unless I'm in the area or once all the construction has finally ended

I've had it and liked it. I work in Lewisville, now, so it's closer to me when I'm at the office... but I'd prefer not to drive THAT far for food. 

7fwPZnE.png

#41 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 07:23 AM

I tried to go to the Portillo's in The Colony one time and there was a line out the door, so I was like nope. They are building one in Arlington which will be realistically a faster drive for a lot of Fort Worth, honestly.

I rarely go up north, honestly, it takes too long to get there.

#42 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 07:20 PM

So are they actually building those suburban apartments up to 8 stories still?

I think the height is kind of cool and I hope that's a trend that catches on but it's so bleh having the entire site be a parking lot and a little hardscape by the pool. And then next to a highway with no parks around anywhere. Apartment complexes of the past had green areas in between the buildings.I would never ever want to live there. I think lots of people would tolerate it if they were building that somewhere urban like in southside or somewhere around Henderson St. west of downtown, but never in alliance.

"Towers in the Park" is a pejorative in urban planning circles but they are still much better than "Towers in the Parking lot"

Also before we start going vertical with cheap apartments there needs to be a management change. Many complexes offer residents valet trash which is a money making scam where they can tack a fee onto your rent. This is acceptable in a low rise garden apartment as you can leave the trash outside. In a tower, that means trash filling up the corridors, I've read about this being a huge problem in the new multi-story apartments in Dallas around Uptown. Also a cultural change. People who are loud and obnoxious or cook (or burn) strong smelling food at weird hours and set off the fire alarms become a much greater problem in an enclosed tower.

#43 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 05:30 AM

Gotta get that Italian beef "wet"... dip the whole sandwich in a jus.

My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users