91 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:16 PM

Small 19 room hotel from local developers Jonathan and Katherine Morris (The Lathery, FW Barber Shop) and Allen Mederos (local developer/hopsitality guy) just blocks from Dickies Arena.  

2018-12-10%20Byers%20Packet%20for%20Webs

More dets -> https://www.bbptx.co...ject/3621-byers

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

i love this concept.  It reminds me of a small , 8-suite boutique hotel in Mexico where we were guests for four days, only the hotel there was in the old town of the city.  Each morning/day we were entertained/waited upon the the owner and his very small but extremely attentive staff.   If the owners of the hotel can replicate a similar level of service and food, this hotel can be really successful.

#3 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

More details in the Star-Telegram: https://www.star-tel...ink=latest_side

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

The hotel and its concept is precisely what is needed along Montgomery Street.  Hopefully, more micro/boutique hotels like this one will line this corridor instead of the typical auto-centric inns that predictably will face strong opposition from the Arlington Heights Neighborhoods.

IMO, small, hands on hospitality businesses are simply the best places to stay.

https://www.bbptx.co...ject/3621-byers

#5 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

i love this concept.  It reminds me of a small , 8-suite boutique hotel in Mexico where we were guests for four days, only the hotel there was in the old town of the city.  Each morning/day we were entertained/waited upon the the owner and his very small but extremely attentive staff.   If the owners of the hotel can replicate a similar level of service and food, this hotel can be really successful.

Same here, except in Sevilla. The hotel was in an old family mansion and well restored, excellent food and service. What a great idea to try in the Cultural District, just too bad it is so far away from the really walkable areas.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:07 PM

..... What a great idea to try in the Cultural District, just too bad it is so far away from the really walkable areas.

If the road diet designed for Montgomery Street succeeds and the streetscape including substantial greenery is put in place, that 1 mile stretch will become walkable.  There is potential to have dining outdoors and boutique shops lining both sides of the road. You could also have bicycle taxis, carriages, and you would see pedestrians walking the length of a quieter Montgomery Street.

#7 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

..... What a great idea to try in the Cultural District, just too bad it is so far away from the really walkable areas.

If the road diet designed for Montgomery Street succeeds and the streetscape including substantial greenery is put in place, that 1 mile stretch will become walkable.  There is potential to have dining outdoors and boutique shops lining both sides of the road. You could also have bicycle taxis, carriages, and you would see pedestrians walking the length of a quieter Montgomery Street.

I'm excited to see how everything plays out after the project is finished. My first experience in Fort Worth was in 2010, when it became apparent that my wife would be attending UNT Health Science Center for PA school. We exited Montgomery and went to check out the school. I will be honest, I wasn't impressed and was a little put off by that stretch of road leading to the school. Now, with the arena replacing an industrial complex, the opening of Taco Heads and Fort Worth Camera, the street is starting to look more like a gateway to the cultural district. Once the street is done, I would think some of the other old-run down buildings will be replaced one by one. The Dairy Queen in particular looks extremely dated and I doubt it will stay there in its current state. 

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:01 PM

.....I will be honest, I wasn't impressed and was a little put off by that stretch of road leading to the school. Now, with the arena replacing an industrial complex, the opening of Taco Heads and Fort Worth Camera, the street is starting to look more like a gateway to the cultural district.......

To honest, your first impression was correct.  I hope like you that the arrival of the arena will have a transforming impact upon Montgomery Street and turning it into a gateway from I-30 to the Cultural District.

#9 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

Very cool project I think. I agree, with some of the comments about staying at places like this. At my last vacation, about 20 something years ago lol, we stayed at a small hotel in San Francisco, as well as one in the Bahamas years ago, both were very cool because of the attention we got from the family who owned them. The one in SF was a bit bigger, I think 4 stories and about 30 rooms and the elevator didnt work but we were only on the second floor so no biggie. I also agree, I think over the next few years your going to see a lot of changes up and down Montgomery. I tried to find someone to do something similar over near magnolia but couldn't find anyone willing to do it. 

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

.....I tried to find someone to do something similar over near magnolia but couldn't find anyone willing to do it. 

If possible, maybe it is time for you to try again.  There certainly can be more of these and believe there is more demand for them in the Cultural District/Montgomery Street Corridor.

#11 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

.....I tried to find someone to do something similar over near magnolia but couldn't find anyone willing to do it. 

If possible, maybe it is time for you to try again.  There certainly can be more of these and believe there is more demand for them in the Cultural District/Montgomery Street Corridor.

I would love to but pretty much all of my client base mainly does Hilton or Marriotts and won't move from them due to the reservation systems. Starting to work with some folks do Choice flags but somthing this small almost has to be someone who is okay with not counting on people looking to get their travel points and such. There out there but hard to find. Sadly, the land I has apparently been bought but havent seen whats going on it. I will keep quiet where until I know it's gone for sure though! 

#12 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Perhaps something like this 34 room boutique hotel here in Austin.  Off the hipster part of South Congress.  Very popular!

https://kimbermodern.com

#13 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Very cool.  I love staying in small hotels when visiting other cities. 

Have always heard the reason you don't see more of these is the lack of scale makes them harder to staff and operate.

Will be interesting to see how they handle this one.

Great to see local entrepreneurs making this happen. 

Hopefully the Luddites within the Arlington Heights Neighborhood Association won't kill this as they seem to do with anything they don't understand (i.e. anything other than a single family residence). 

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Approved by the Fort Worth Zoning Commission. :)

http://www.fortworth...5f636ca257.html

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

It still has to be approved by the City Council before actual construction can begin.

#16 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:22 PM

This will probably be the first of several hotels built along Montgomery.

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

Montgomery Street (Lancaster to West Freeway) is an ideal stretch of road for hotels and restaurants, however, opposition is already brewing among some who live in East Arlington Heights. 

A compromise may be found that restricts the west side of Montgomery to small boutique hotels (15 suites) and shops and to allow the larger inns on the east side of Montgomery.  On the east side of Montgomery, the hotel elevations could midrise (4-5 storys).

#18 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

Quite a few folks spoke in opposition, including a representative from the AH neighborhood association. The bar in particular caused issues. The zoning board didn't seem very swayed.

#19 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Good. Again, AHNA appears to be PAVE (people against practically everything). 

Against town houses on the edge of the district, against small office buildings on Camp Bowie, against restaurants opening on Camp Bowie.... 

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

I wonder if ya'll would agree or not whether Montgomery Street is in or apart of Arlington Heights, or is it the boundary between the Cultural District/Arena District?   Camp Bowie, Montgomery, Lancaster, Belknap, Berry, University are all major feeder streets that belong to all residents of the City.

Major corridors are where retailing, commerce, etc. exists.  In would venture to say that Montgomery Street carries more non-residential AH traffic than traffic by AH residents. 

#21 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

I wonder if ya'll would agree or not whether Montgomery Street is in or apart of Arlington Heights, or is it the boundary between the Cultural District/Arena District?   Camp Bowie, Montgomery, Lancaster, Belknap, Berry, University are all major feeder streets that belong to all residents of the City.

Major corridors are where retailing, commerce, etc. exists.  In would venture to say that Montgomery Street carries more non-residential AH traffic than traffic by AH residents

Arlington Heights Neighborhood Association is bounded by I-30, Montgomery, Camp Bowie, and Merrick (it's basically a triangle) 

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

This is a point that is ripe for debate.

Byers Avenue, beyond 1 Block beyond Montgomery Street would be clearly within AH. 

All those who have a reason to use Montgomery Street beyond that of a feeder/collector for AH residents should expect and are entitled to have it serve the greater purpose of traffic and commercial development for the City. Of course, input is welcomed by AHNA, but Montgomery Street is not a neighborhood street anymore than the West Freeway. 

In a similar debate, commercial development along Magnolia Avenue was protested by the Fairmount HA who took the position that Magnolia is in Fairmount.  Actually Fairmount is a boundary corridor between Fairmount and the region loosely designated as the  "Hospital District";  ultimately, the hotel planned at Henderson@Magnolia was allowed to proceed.  It did not help the FHA that properties north of Magnolia Avenue were being developed into commerical and multi family residential projects.

The City should have the right to reduce the points of egress and ingress into AH if deemed necessary and with compromise. Solutions might involve a retainer/buffer wall to reduce noise and enhance privacy from West Freeway to Lancaster with 2-3 ingress/egress openings.  When the West Freeway was expanded, trees, now 15-20' tall along the north sides of the freeway serve as a shield and a noise buffer for the houses facing I-30.

#23 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

This is a point that is ripe for debate.

Byers Avenue, beyond 1 Block beyond Montgomery Street would be clearly within AH. 

All those who have a reason to use Montgomery Street beyond that of a feeder/collector for AH residents should expect and are entitled to have it serve the greater purpose of traffic and commercial development for the City. Of course, input is welcomed by AHNA, but Montgomery Street is not a neighborhood street anymore than the West Freeway. 

In a similar debate, commercial development along Magnolia Avenue was protested by the Fairmount HA who took the position that Magnolia is in Fairmount.  Actually Fairmount is a boundary corridor between Fairmount and the region loosely designated as the  "Hospital District";  ultimately, the hotel planned at Henderson@Magnolia was allowed to proceed.  It did not help the FHA that properties north of Magnolia Avenue were being developed into commerical and multi family residential projects.

The City should have the right to reduce the points of egress and ingress into AH if deemed necessary and with compromise. Solutions might involve a retainer/buffer wall to reduce noise and enhance privacy from West Freeway to Lancaster with 2-3 ingress/egress openings.  When the West Freeway was expanded, trees, now 15-20' tall along the north sides of the freeway serve as a shield and a noise buffer for the houses facing I-30.

"trees, now 15-20' tall along the north sides of the freeway serve as a shield and a noise buffer for the houses facing I-30"

as someone who lives exactly at this location, I'll share that the trees, while better than nothing, really don't act as a shield or noise buffer. They are, however, more of a welcomed visual buffer. Ambient noise from the access road will often hit 70+dB in my backyard. The access road, it's high speed, along with folks who have the incessant need of REEEEEVING engines as they accelerate onto the highway or just along the access road etc cause far more noise pollution than the highway itself.

As for "barriers" between Montgomery and the neighborhood, I personally liked the idea of a planted median along Montgomery along with narrower lanes, both proven means of calming traffic speeds. However, folks who literally asked "but what about trucks with double dually's" won the day for wider lanes.

I also thought the idea of raised crosswalks could potentially be used where residential streets meet Montgomery as a means of slowing traffic entering the neighborhood, encouraging pedestrian activity along the corridor, and serving as a deterrent for through traffic.

but hey, what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

"trees, now 15-20' tall along the north sides of the freeway serve as a shield and a noise buffer for the houses facing I-30"

As for "barriers" between Montgomery and the neighborhood, I personally liked the idea of a planted median along Montgomery along with narrower lanes, both proven means of calming traffic speeds. However, folks who literally asked "but what about trucks with double dually's" won the day for wider lanes.

but hey, what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get your concerns.  Calming the street will be a positive development. 

However, that development is not the positive development that is raising opposition to the boutique hotel.  What it seems is at the root of the opposition is an ideology termed and introduced in an earlier post: PAVE "People Against Virtually Everything". 

Judging by the zoning approval process,  the opposition is still becoming familiar with the project after initially having a generic misconception of "hotel with bar". 

I have been a guest in a boutique hotel like this one and during my stay, the bar served the registered guests in the dining area of the hotel.  I can not guarantee that their wasn't any non-registered guests in the bar, but being such a small hotel and having the opportunity  to meet many of those staying at the hotel, it certainly was mainly people who were staying in the hotel who came into the bar/dining area.

Fort Worth, like any other city, has neighborhoods with major arterial roads that create boundaries for the residential areas of a neighborhood.  Think of every arterial road in the City and you will see that it would be impossible for any commercial development if a NHA is allow to stop normal commercial development within Fort Worth.

When you decide to live in an urban area and not in a rural area, it should be your expectation that traffic and commercial development will be apart of inhabiting a City.  As it is now, Montgomery Street is overwhelmingly commercial along both sides.  Furthermore, Fort Worth has invested close to $500m in a new arena promising that the City will receive multiple returns in economic activity from its investment.

Montgomery Street is the corridor where the returns for the entire City will be actualized; and this includes to a greater way for greater prosperity for Arlington Heights.

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

I know everyone's excited about this unique concept, applauding the building design from an aesthetic perspective, and saying this kind of hotel is a good fit in the neighborhood from an environmental perspective.  And some of the discussion has focused on the potentially negative reaction by Arlington Heights neighbors to a more traditional approach, like maybe a 10-story hotel.  I share some of these views.  But I'm wondering if this is not such a good idea when marketing and cost considerations are added to the equation.

I'm not a marketing expert in anything.  But here we have a grand new arena that everyone hopes will be very popular and attract a lot of visitors.  These visitors can stay at one of our downtown hotels or closer to the arena.  I would have thought that a hotel very near to the arena would be more convenient for some.  But for only a handful in a 19-room building?  Yes, in one of the prior posts,  someone said they hope a number of these small-rise hotels could populate Montgomery Street.  Maybe that's what happens eventually, and maybe not.  If I were marketing the arena I think I would want a high-rise hotel to accommodate a lot more visitors to be located right next to it or close to it.

From a cost perspective, will a 19-room hotel bring enough revenue for the developer to break even and show a profit?

Some here who are more gifted in business and marketing decisions, please so advise me otherwise.

#26 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

I know everyone's excited about this unique concept, applauding the building design from an aesthetic perspective, and saying this kind of hotel is a good fit in the neighborhood from an environmental perspective.  And some of the discussion has focused on the potentially negative reaction by Arlington Heights neighbors to a more traditional approach, like maybe a 10-story hotel.  I share some of these views.  But I'm wondering if this is not such a good idea when marketing and cost considerations are added to the equation.

I'm not a marketing expert in anything.  But here we have a grand new arena that everyone hopes will be very popular and attract a lot of visitors.  These visitors can stay at one of our downtown hotels or closer to the arena.  I would have thought that a hotel very near to the arena would be more convenient for some.  But for only a handful in a 19-room building?  Yes, in one of the prior posts,  someone said they hope a number of these small-rise hotels could populate Montgomery Street.  Maybe that's what happens eventually, and maybe not.  If I were marketing the arena I think I would want a high-rise hotel to accommodate a lot more visitors to be located right next to it or close to it.

From a cost perspective, will a 19-room hotel bring enough revenue for the developer to break even and show a profit?

Some here who are more gifted in business and marketing decisions, please so advise me otherwise.

"From a cost perspective, will a 19-room hotel bring enough revenue for the developer to break even and show a profit?"

I think this "Missing Middle" scale of development (as it is often referred to in some places) is a good opportunity for the owner-operator model vs the traditional developer perspective you may be alluding to. Often an owner-operator has a greater focus on income generation vs a quick profit where they can then turn the proceeds into yet another project.

#27 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

The project is coming before the city council at tonight's meeting. If you'd like to let your thoughts be known and are unable to attend, you can fill out a comment card at the link below. 

http://apps.fortwort...ncil_agenda.asp

XIII.    ZONING HEARING 4. ZC-18-205 - (CD 7) - MeMo Hospitality Group LLC, 3619 - 3625 W. Byers Avenue; From: "J" Medium Industrial To: PD/E Planned Development for all uses in "E" Neighborhood Commercial plus boutique hotel with accessory bar and coffee shop; site plan included 0.45 acres (Recommended for Approval by the Zoning Commission) (Continued from a Previous Meeting) 

file:///C:/Users/a542179/Downloads/ZC-18-205%20(1).PDF

#28 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:32 PM

A very solid online plea from the developer:

https://medium.com/@...as-a8f88d3e7e83

The neighborhood is taking the low road to try and sink the project.

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

The project is coming before the city council at tonight's meeting....

(Recommended for Approval by the Zoning Commission) (Continued from a previous meeting

Yes. I hope that it is approved!

#30 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

Does the neighborhood prefer a dilapidated old building over this? I don't understand people like that. 

#31 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:02 PM

Star-T with a story on it as well.

https://www.star-tel...e227128319.html

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

Does the neighborhood prefer a dilapidated old building over this? I don't understand people like that. 

Gosh, the boutique hotel is near or abutting Montgomery Street.  This is what exist there now and this is what apparently they prefer over a nice small boutique hotel that will attract only the better quality guest, certainly not the Motel 6 crowds:

https://www.google.c...6!4d-97.3709227

#33 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:14 PM

Gosh, the boutique hotel is near or abutting Montgomery Street.  This is what exist there now and this is what apparently they prefer over a nice small boutique hotel that will attract only the better quality guest, certainly not the Motel 6 crowds:

https://www.google.c...6!4d-97.3709227

Yep, I don't get the opposition.  A small boutique hotel seems would enhance the area.  But, as we see time and again, the masses are not sharp.  Look at our current Congress!  :o

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

It passed!

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

It passed!

Hooray!!! :)

#36 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

Remember, Arlington Heights Neighborhood Association never met a project it didn't oppose.

PAVE:  People Against Virtually Everything.

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:00 AM

Remember, Arlington Heights Neighborhood Association never met a project it didn't oppose.

PAVE:  People Against Virtually Everything.

AHNA did not choose it battle wisely. This project is a BB&P concept; the project is a vast improvement over the it use in the past; the project is near the new arena that is forecast to generate new development for the Montgomery Street Corridor; and the project is surrounded by existing light commercial businesses. 

I think AHNA harmed their credibility waging this battle.

#38 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:36 AM

Not intending to sound negative about a small boutique hotel design concept.  It's great.  Love this concept!   And I'm not siding with those terrible Arlington Heights neighbors (how dare they?).

But, at the risk of sounding repetitive, unless there are a bunch of these around the new arena, only a handful of tourists will enjoy brief habitation in proximity to the arena.  The rest will have to register at downtown high-rise hotels or the smaller hotels on the outskirts of downtown.  If I were an arena marketer I would have sought bids from high-rise hotel developers around this arena.

Then, again, not meaning to be sarcastic but I guess I am, maybe small hotels are just about right for a relatively small-scale multi-purpose arena.

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has an article on the passage of the hotel project.  Below is the link:

https://www.star-tel...=mainstage_lead

#40 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

Does anyone know if the museums or Dickies or the city or another entity owns the parking lot at the Northeast corner of Montgomery St and Harley Ave, (1701 Montgomery St), next to the Museum of Science and History/behind the Cowgirl Museum?

The Fort Worth Astronomical Society used to host their "Star Parties" in this lot prior to the arena construction beginning. I think the lot belongs to the FWMSH. This lot seems like a good contender for a "larger scale" hotel development several in this forum as discussed.

#41 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

......... I would have sought bids from high-rise hotel developers around this arena. ......

After the debacle of the Renovo project as well as all the negative comments made on the Home 2 as an example, though it lies outside of what I call the NIMBY zone so nothing could be done to prevent it, and others that never made it much past a close look, I can't think of why a developer would want to even try and do a project in to close of a proximity to the district. I Know someone looked at a location but figured it would be about 3 - 500 grand in legal and design representation fees trying to get it past everyone and just wasn't worth the effort or the chance of spending tons of money and either not getting it approved or those costs making then numbers not work. 

#42 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the update regarding the Renovo and the Home 2 projects.  What I termed "high rise" in this particular area of the city I meant maybe 10 floors.  My main point was the need for more hotel rooms per building more so than building height.  If a developer purchased a wider tract (is there one available in proximity to the arena?), he/she might go with a horizontal structure with (what?) 150 rooms?

I would like to add I supported the City Council's decision to approve the project.  I wasn't at the meeting but evidently it met zoning and subdivision requirements with minimal area opposition.

#43 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

The best location for large hotels is Downtown. 

Otherwise, I believe that boutique or small hotels and a row of upscale restaurants which would be more compatible with the AH Neighborhood.  The tract of land near the West Freeway would be the only place for a large hotel.

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

My main point was the need for more hotel rooms per building more so than building height.  If a developer purchased a wider tract (is there one available in proximity to the arena?), he/she might go with a horizontal structure with (what?) 150 rooms?

You really should read some of the posted articles on this project. The developer wasn't looking to build a large hotel to fill the need for hotel rooms. They are looking to build a niche hotel that appeals to guests that are looking for something other than the traditional, large scale hotel.

#45 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:15 PM

...  My main point was the need for more hotel rooms per building more so than building height.  If a developer purchased a wider tract (is there one available in proximity to the arena?), he/she might go with a horizontal structure with (what?) 150 rooms?

I think the small boutique hotel as I have said before is a cool idea and can see it being a great spot for visitors to the museums and such and i hope they do well. I do agree though with you John that it would be nice to get something bigger in the area. You have the two just done on the south side of 30 but closer would be nice and I think the area has enough to support it. I don't know if you could get a 10 story thru but you for sure could get a 6 story done I think but i think it will take someone like Economy Supply being willing to sell to open a large enough tract to do it so will probably take a while until the area has redeveloped a bit more. Then of course the question becomes will they sell at a reasonable enough cost to make a deal work or find someone who is willing to do it on a long term land lease. 

#46 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:39 PM

The empty lot next door to the antique mall seems big enough for something like that also

#47 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

The Dairy Queen in particular looks extremely dated and I doubt it will stay there in its current state. 

I looked into this on TAD and evidently the DQ site isn't even owned by DQ but rather Fort Worth based developer Mazur Capital

#48 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:47 PM

In the hands of Mazur Capital, it likely that the DQ site will developed into something akin to its other restaurant/bar projects.  Mazur certainly has an envious spot near to Dickie's Arena.

#49 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

The Dairy Queen in particular looks extremely dated and I doubt it will stay there in its current state. 

I looked into this on TAD and evidently the DQ site isn't even owned by DQ but rather Fort Worth based developer Mazur Capital

There is a new DQ under construction near the Raising Cane's on Westworth Blvd/Hwy 183 in Westworth Village (near the Sams/Lowes etc). I've been curious if the DQ on Montgomery will close once the once under construction officially opens. 

#50 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:07 AM

My main point was the need for more hotel rooms per building more so than building height.  If a developer purchased a wider tract (is there one available in proximity to the arena?), he/she might go with a horizontal structure with (what?) 150 rooms?

You really should read some of the posted articles on this project. The developer wasn't looking to build a large hotel to fill the need for hotel rooms. They are looking to build a niche hotel that appeals to guests that are looking for something other than the traditional, large scale hotel.

I'm excited for this project and agree this isn't about making a dent in the demand for hotel rooms. This boutique project will add more character to Fort Worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users