• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 06 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

'K Folks - It's about time for another non-snobbish wine tasting!!! Yea!!

Ideas on dates?? I'm unavailable April 7/8, but should be open the rest of the time.

Ideas on places?? Sapores was great - Safly, any chance of barging in on them again?

Ideas on structure?? If Safly can get his speaker this time that would wonderful. Otherwise, we'll try and come up with a good easy going system.

I still have plenty of glasses - also got off with GHughes name tags (Eep, sorry) unsure.gif , but will bring them back.

I'm expecting the Charter members to show up for sure!
For those who didn't make it last time - we had a BLAST! Hope even more show up this time!

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:30 AM

I will surely try, though 7th Street Grille was mentioned before.

I'll find a date that will work between March 24th and April ?

COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:48 AM

I'll be out of town the weekend of 3/24 but otherwise should be good to go after that.

Thanks for picking up the nametags, suerto. If you just bring 'em along next time I think they are handy (especially for those of us who are name-challenged).

#4 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:15 AM

I'd forgotten about the 7th Street Grill being mentioned; that's fine. I've never been there, am always willing to try something new!

Let's hear from some folks about ideas.

And, GHughes, I agree; I'm pretty name-challenged myself!

#5 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:19 PM

How many HITS did the last BMOC event gather on this site? Let's wait til about 100 or so hits, or at least half of the first events notice. I don't want to start planning something significant (guest speaker wise) that gains little interest (less than 12 people).
www.iheartfw.com

#6 wren

wren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

I was unable to attend the first meeting but I'm really looking forward to coming to this one. Sounds like fun!

#7 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Mar 7 2006, 05:19 PM) View Post

How many HITS did the last BMOC event gather on this site? Let's wait til about 100 or so hits, or at least half of the first events notice. I don't want to start planning something significant (guest speaker wise) that gains little interest (less than 12 people).

Well, I'm not sure how long it would take to get 100 hits. I guess I could start another poll. I guess I can understanding it from the speaker's point of view, unless he is happy advertising his wine, free for nothing, to a smallish group that has a keen interest in wine.

So, I'll throw the floor open for date suggestions!

We will certainly be glad to have you wren - bring some friends!

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

Right now we are at about 64 hits, so 36 more to go. biggrin.gif

It should be a great event once again and I am sure the guest speaker will have his wine based jellies and wine to pass around. Remember, he is an indie wine proprietor who is seeking extra investors, so the "lecture" may end up heading into that direction.
www.iheartfw.com

#9 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

If we are talking about a Friday in April right now I'm wide open. sad.gif
I guess I'm not that popular. Maybe I can pick up my prize for the critical mass thread. Seurto and safly came through with flying colors last time so anyplace they pick is fine with me. Just let us know if we are bringing wine or mooching of safly's friend. wink.gif

#10 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:48 PM

I will try to be there...let me know the date.

#11 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

Can you brown bag at the 7th street grill? I thought it was in that funky area with no alcohol allowed?What about that backroom at Sardines? or maybe it's too small. How many folks attended last time?

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Not sure about those other venues. We could possibly use an apartment clubhouse somewhere nearby or IN DTFW. dry.gif

I'm all for SAPORE as a first choice, again. I think THEY did a wonderful job, which made the nigh go by smoothly. THEY certainly made my job easier.

When is FWMSAF? Perhaps during a friday festival night?

I'll see if "my guy" can bring tha HOOCH.

Approx. 15 members showed up last time.
www.iheartfw.com

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

The Arts Fest is April 20-23.

#14 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

Wow, all those different varieties from just 15 people. There were too many choices at the last meeting. But, in the event that the format is repeated, there is a vineyard near a project I worked on in Iowa Park. They have a very nice sweet red I could bring.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#15 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

Any weekend in April except 4/8 is good for me; I think Friday worked well before.

Sapore's was great and I'm all for hitting them up again.

As much as I LOVED everyone's choices, I have to agree with Andy that there were probably too many different varieties to really get a good hold on anything. But, for the first meeting, it worked just like it needed to.

I guess depending on availability of Safly's wine guy, we can come up with a plan. Perhaps all Italian, all Californian, all Texas etc., that type road; or all cab savs, all shirazes, something like that. And maybe we'll go through them one at a time and get everyone's feedback. Anyhoo, that's my thinking.

Thoughts?

#16 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

All rightey folks - I'm bringing this up again - we've got 156 hits, Safly. How do things look for your wine guy?? And your Sapore's guy??

My thinking is, let's see when is good for Safly's guy, hopefully in April. If that doesn't give us a date, I will throw Fri, April 28, out on the table. That is 2 weeks after Easter weekend and the weekend after Main Street. Any seconds for the nomination?

We can't let this slip away now y'all cool.gif

#17 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:54 AM

Go for the 28th.

Just tell me the format. I've got two bottles of red from the Wichita Winery in my cellar waiting if it's BYOB.

#18 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

'K, we've got a second on the nomination for 4/28 - other nominations? - ayes and nays?

#19 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:47 AM

4/28 or 21st is fine.

I will get a hold of my guy to see, been very busy lately.
www.iheartfw.com

#20 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

I can do 4/21, but am leaving the next day for a few weeks...but what's better for the majority's schedule? 21 or 28?

#21 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

I can do 4/28 but probably not 4/21. Dangit, red, y'gotta change for us!

#22 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:18 PM

My main concern about 4/21 is that apparently is Main Street weekend and I seriously doubt the really nice, kind, generous owner of Sapore would be willing to give up restaurant space for us then. Not to mention the crowds, parking, etc., etc.

#23 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

Doesn't hurt to ask for either one.
www.iheartfw.com

#24 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:49 AM

4/28 is my hubby's birthday. That'd be a nice night out for an architect.

#25 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

I haven't forgotten about this --really! It's been a crazy couple of weeks. Everyone stll up for 4/28? Safly, have you had a chance to talk to your wine guy? Are we still gonna try for Sapore again, or do I need to find another locale?

Questions, questions, questions!!

#26 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

Can't change it Greg, or I would...gone for a long overdue vacation....been in the works for about nine months!

#27 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:01 AM

Hope it's a doozy...
I trust this won't be the last BMOC, so there'll be other chances to sample grapes together.

#28 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

I had the pleasure of talking with fellow candidate and TRWD Board Incumbent Gina Puente-Brancato this evening. I noticed in an article about the TRWD candidates in the Fort Worth Business Press that she owns a wine retail store and asked her about this. She said the she and husband had recently purchased the La Bodega Winery. I mentioned the BMOC group and she indicated that she would be interested in participating in a future gathering.

I assume we are firm on the 28th of April at Sapora's? Can we lock this in?

Timothy Nold

#29 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:13 AM

Man, Andy; That would be great. I had some wine for La Bodega long time ago and really enjoyed it. I can call Sapore's unless Safly needs to talk to his friend; I'll check on that --

HEY SAFLY - Have you had a chance to talk to your friend at Sapore's? (sorry my sick sense of humor before I've had a sufficient amount of coffee).

If we can work it out with this person this time and maybe Safly's wine guy next time, we may get a really good trend started. If Sapore's doesn't work out, I'll find us another location; will it NEED to be DTFW? 4/28 is firm as far as I'm concerned. We also apparently have a birthday we can celebrate that night.

#30 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

I did not discuss 4/28 with her since that is right in the middle of campaign time for the 5/13 election. I told her we'd try to reach her after the campaign.

Otherwise, I've still got a couple of nice bottles if it ends up as BYOW.

#31 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

Sorry folks. Been very busy this time of the year. Will call SAPORE'S by Wednesday and get this in order. He already said that he would love to have it there AGAIN and really enjoyed our patronage.

My wine guy is MIA for now, but I will have to pay a visit to his vineyard anyhow.

28th is A-OK with me.

Though I was thinking during MSFWAF, with his new upstairs Main St. viewing room.

PEACE.
www.iheartfw.com

#32 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

Any news yet, Safly??

#33 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

Called but no reply yet in my VM. At least I don't think so.

Try again.
www.iheartfw.com

#34 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:30 AM

'K, we're getting down to the wire here-- Is everyone on for Fri 4/28? Do we need to delay a week? Sounds like Sapore's is the place again (yea!!). If Safly's wineguy isn't available, we need to pick a theme (I'm thinking) - any thoughts. Maybe something like regions, i.e. Italians, Spanish, S America, Californian; of course there's Texas. Or a particular type - everyone bring a cab sav or merlot or something. That might get to be a little boring tho.

Plus, do we want to try and eat dinner or do snackies again? Do we want to really have some structure this time, y'know - "I brought blady blah wine from blady blah and I really like it because blady blah". Am I just planning too much!!

Anyway - let's see what responses we get!!

#35 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:45 AM

I'm not getting any feed back here - do we need to put it off until next weekend? Thoughts?? - Ideas?? sad.gif I don't want this to go totally by the wayside, but I want it to be when is best for the biggest number. I guess we could wait until Safly gets a date set for his wineguy - would that peak everyone's interest? mellow.gif Someone throw me a bone! blink.gif

#36 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:10 AM

I need to know soon. This is my hubby's birthday and I need to change plans if we aren't going to meet.

#37 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

If you have it, I will come.

#38 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

Let's just have it. Pick a theme. My wineguy is MIA for now, must be FIESTA. dry.gif

I cannot do the following weekend or the next. Booked solid for catering til the 14th.
www.iheartfw.com

#39 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

Good enough for me. So -- Sapore's Friday 4/28 - 7 or 7:30? Is that too early?

If I were to pick a theme out of a hat, I would say....... South America; is that too broad?

#40 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

Who's going and what time??? Gotta get the kids to a babysitter.

#41 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:21 PM

Julie - I'll be there between 7-7:30. I'm very excited to meet you and the birthday boy!!

(Hope you get better response on this than I did blink.gif )

#42 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

We will have to be there between 7:30 and 8:00 since E is coming from Las Colinas. I look forward to meeting you.

#43 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:51 PM

You go, girls!

My bummer is I can't be there due to sudden family concerns out of town. But I hope everyone has a great time and that #3 comes along soon.

#44 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

Sorry you can't make it ghughes; we'll miss ya. Hope things work out OK. There will be a #3!!

#45 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

I will be fashionably late. I have a candidate forum at 6:30 in Azle. I will see if I can jump out early. I am very pleased how things are going so far, but it has been somewhat taxing working on the historic W.T. Waggoner Ranch Estate all this week and then rushing back to Fort Worth for a forum every evening. I think I'm going to need a vacation soon. Viva San Antone/New Braunfels. Can you say Schlitterbahn?

I still have a couple of bottles of Wichita Red. I could pick up something drier tomorrow if add'l bottles are needed.

#46 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:00 AM

Hey, Andy - I don't know that there is a firm time to be "fashionably late" for! We'll just be happy to see you when you get there!!

#47 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

7:30.

Earliest for me. biggrin.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#48 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:08 AM

That's fine - again, I have not set time.

Safly, do you think it would be OK to use Sapora's glasses this time or should I bring mine?

I'm thinking if we maybe eat dinner or lots of hors d'oeuvres, they wouldn't mind; any thoughts?

#49 wren

wren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:42 PM

I won't be able to make it tonight. I'm really disappointed because I was so looking forward to this. sad.gif
I have an awful cold and I don't think you guys would appreciate me strolling in with my bottle of wine sitting atop an industrial sized box of Kleenex. Besides, this is a wine tasting event and right now I can't tell the difference between a crisp Chardonnay and a bottle of Ozarka! Truth is....I really don't want to spread this stuff around...so you guys have fun tonight and raise a glass for me. Sorry I can't be there!

#50 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

Sorry you can't make it and are feeling so poorly. Some would say that the correct dosage of wine cures anything!! biggrin.gif That's OK; we'll have #3 in a couple of months!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users