Photo
- - - - -

New Orleans, An act of God?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think Katrina was an act of God? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Katrina was an act of God?

1. Yes (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

2. No (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ILoveAJuggalo1569

ILoveAJuggalo1569

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Playing softball!

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

I feel so bad for everything that has happened to New Orleans the past few days, but one of my close friends proposed a question the other day that made me think. She said in the Bible it says that God will destroy the sin cities and New Orleans is one of the biggest sin cities they say. If anyone is offended by this I am very sorry I just wanted to see what some other people thought about this. I couldn't come up with an answer to her question because I for one have not really read the Bible. But New Orleans and the people from the Katrina disaster will be in my prayers.
Everman High School C/O "06"

#2 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

I feel so bad for everything that has happened to New Orleans the past few days, but one of my close friends proposed a question the other day that made me think.  She said in the Bible it says that God will destroy the sin cities and New Orleans is one of the biggest sin cities they say.  If anyone is offended by this I am very sorry I just wanted to see what some other people thought about this.  I couldn't come up with an answer to her question because I for one have not really read the Bible.  But New Orleans and the people from the Katrina disaster will be in my prayers.

View Post

It was man who decided to build a city below sea level. :(

GOD gives us free will to make choices. :D

#3 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:32 PM

Well, to be totally honest, the only thing that comes to mind when I think of the city of New Orleans is Mardi Gras with all the party hard attitude and girls flashing thier "stuff" for beads. Isn't Mardi Gras supposed to be a celebration of the day before Ash Wednesday? I guess N.O. could be punished by that kind of blasphemy. Other than that festival, I really haven't learned much about the town. Everyone I've known to have been there ONLY went for that event. An act of God? Maybe, ever heard of Sodom and Gomorrah??? :(

#4 QuakerOatsGuy

QuakerOatsGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, tea, FW history.

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:40 PM

The city's location was the reason. This disaster was just waiting to happen.. unfortunately it did, nature runs its course regardless of what man creates or alters. I'd assume Vegas should be topping that list of sin cities.. the most famous Sin City. And the worst that could happen there is probably water shortage.

#5 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:20 AM

Free will, to be exact.

Good point on the planning of NO, as a city waiting to be delivered what they made of it.

NO can either REACT to this disaster, or RESPOND. Time will tell, but perhaps it was IN DUE TIME that this city of a once slave owning and neutral state, had best wipe a bit of it's horrible past. Those people shooting and "really looting" out there were those same ones who got short changed in the NO society's past, and hurt. Still no excuses, but God allows us to make that call EVERY DAY. It works on both sides of the issues. Perhaps this disaster will allow NO and many of other towns to self reflect and look inward on what it wants to become, then showcase to the world. Trust me, if there were many who survived and didn't have ANY religion in em, I assure you they have it now. Many of churches stood strong there. There was also one popular church in MS that stood the test of Camille, it did not stand this time. A man who was transported with the family that had stayed here said all 8 of his family members did not survive from the assuring church shelter. If you believe that God gives us gifts and decisions to experience every day, then I will take the Hurricanes and plagues along with the bluebonnets blooming and sun rising up any and every day. Wether it is for me to enjoy or another.

Many Q's by way of constituents, HAVE TO BE ADDRESSED. FEMA protocols MUUUST be examined for future sake of it's sole purpose in existance. Must it be FULLY tied in with HSecurity? It seemed that what could have gone wrong or "worst case scenario" just...HAPPENED. But these implicating subsequential events, for the most part, WERE preventable. Heads will roll in the political sense.

The lady (insurance broker) who stayed here at the house is wondering how will the insurance co's survive this tragedy? TRIA will be a major pain since FEMA is tied in with HSec. and an ongoing WAR. Does anyone have anything to weigh in on this discusssion?
T.R.I.A.
ALARMING Info.!

NO will return, though not the same, but stronger I hope. The professor who had been staying here has been called up to return to SELU classes that will begin this week. They are taking in Tulane students too. So that for now is a sparkle of hope.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#6 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:01 AM

So called christians love to use disasters to promote thier hateful agenda. White Supremisist, KKK,and skinhead groups are using the pictures of the looters and the stories of the violence going on in NO to promote thier believe that blacks are violent, thieving, animals. Your christian friend is no different and no better.

#7 ILoveAJuggalo1569

ILoveAJuggalo1569

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:24 AM

For one I never said my friend was Christian and for two nobody ever said that we were blaming black people for anything. All my friend did was ask a simple question and now she is being put in the same category as the KKK people. That is a little harsh don't you think?

#8 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:45 AM

I had a friend of my comment that someone told her the same thing; i.e. NO was like Sodom and Gomorra (sorry 'bout the spelling), and God wiped it out. I really thought maybe this person was just joking, but apparently not.

So this is OMHO, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I'm not critisizing anyone's ideas. However, that being said, I think this was naught but Mother Nature doing what Mother Nature does; NO is low, it's on the coast, it's in a prime hurricane docking location. Hurricanes have hit NO since before it was NO. They will continue to hit NO until the end of time. Galveston was almost wiped out; Indianola was. What about Biluxi and all the other cities, towns, etc. along the coast that actually bore the brunt of the winds, etc. If God just wanted to punish NO by wiping it out, why take all the innocent towns, etc. with it? The God I believe in doesn't work that way. Nor did the God I believe in "invent" AIDS as punishment. Nor create the dust bowl in the 30s to lower the population. The God I believe in gave humans a brain and lets them figure things out on their own, good and bad; not that there aren't miracles that happen, I truly believe they do, but everything else is just natural progression. When He/She is ready to start over, it won't be with just one city.

OK - diatribe over; period; end of transmission.

#9 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:38 AM

This is a bunch of baloney. Coastal cities have a predisposition to be more libertine, for lack of a better word. They are by nature crossroads where because of the movement of goods, people from different places and different cultures mingle. The only way to for all these people to get along is for them to be generally more tolerant of wide variety of lifestlyes than more isolated inland people might be. This tolerance itself attracts people from others areas who are generally not accepted in their home towns and the cycle continues. The same natural phenomenon that makes these places like this (coastal proximity) also happens to pose dangers to them via floods, storms, fault lines and strategic targets during wars.

Inlanders who take issue with the way people in other cities are living can complain all they want, but they should consider how much better off they are for having access to goods from all over the world because of port cities and that liberty and social tolerance go hand in hand with commerce and the free market. Conservatives in the heartlland would be living in 19th century conditions if it were not for places like New York, New Orleans, San Francisco, and LA.

#10 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Photography, Architecture, Cycling, Broadcasting, Art

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

I think another question worth considering is: Would a loving, benevolent god allow a disaster like this to happen at all? All the pain and suffering and death we are seeing on TV of the innocent (children) and the helpless (nursing home patients) seems to indicate that any omnipotent being concerned with our world is a rather cruel one.

I think the question of whether natural disasters are really God's punishment is rather ridiculous. If NO was punished by the hurricane for its debauchery, what were the tsunami victims being punished for? If AIDS is punishment for homosexuals & drug users why does it also kill babies and hemophiliacs? And what was Fort Worth being punished for when the tornado struck?

#11 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:11 PM

So called christians love to use disasters to promote thier hateful agenda.  White Supremisist, KKK,and skinhead groups are using the pictures of the looters and the stories of the violence going on in NO to promote thier believe that blacks are violent, thieving, animals.  Your christian friend is no different and no better.

View Post

I'm not a religious person, but even I know that the prayers that were made right before the hurricane hit did some good. The experts were predicting a direct hit and a total destruction of the city. As it's been said "it could of been worse".
So instead of blaming christians for thier "hatefull agendas" as quoted, we should be thanking them for being VERY effective in preventing the worst case scenario thru prayer.... something society (including myself) have came to take for granted.

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

Not one to promote the name of a popular RnR band, but that area just got "GOD SMACKED". Like I was saying before, many from the area considered this ACT a long time coming and a "blessing". Many such consequential events were preventable or the least manageable with human efforts (be it mind, body, spirit). The triangle of God, Mother Nature, and Humanity works in mysterious ways.

This has NOTHING to do about race or preference. This has ALL to do about love, respect, and dignity. Politicians will have to answer their calls and people will have to act more responsibly for futures sake. I DO BELIEVE THAT WE ARE MOST CERTAINLY IN AN AGE OF RECKONING AND ENLIGHTENMENT. Think about it.

If you believe that God seeks his thoughts, prayers, and reminders through tragedy then so be it. All I know is that last weekend was supposed to be the most raucous event (other than MG) going in N.O., known as Southern Decadence. Guess it wasn't meant to be. :D
www.iheartfw.com

#13 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

So called christians love to use disasters to promote thier hateful agenda.  White Supremisist, KKK,and skinhead groups are using the pictures of the looters and the stories of the violence going on in NO to promote thier believe that blacks are violent, thieving, animals.  Your christian friend is no different and no better.

View Post

I'm not a religious person, but even I know that the prayers that were made right before the hurricane hit did some good. The experts were predicting a direct hit and a total destruction of the city. As it's been said "it could of been worse".
So instead of blaming christians for thier "hatefull agendas" as quoted, we should be thanking them for being VERY effective in preventing the worst case scenario thru prayer.... something society (including myself) have came to take for granted.

View Post

"Dear Lord, please direct the hurricane away from us in New Orleans -- maybe towards Gulfport instead." ?????????????????????? :D Maybe I'll get a really rude awakening at the Pearly Gates, but I just don't think it happens that way. I think it more likely God is watching, knowing that this is just part of the history of the planet He/She made, that it's gonna play out however it is gonna play out. Most of the folks were forewarned and got out, but of those who couldn't, He/She would reach down periodically and pick them out of the rubble. Just as God could have "prevented" the Twin Towers disaster, but humans direct human thought and action. God once again reaches down and performed miracles, but doesn't change the course of events. We do. We make the choices that directs the acts.

Once again just MHO.

#14 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

Coudn't agree more Suerto. It was as if to say that God was weighin in on which city has the most population praying for Him, eh, ehmuhmm or Her. And of course sparing them. Like some Roman Ruler. Come on. That is a twisted way of looking at it.

That's like those "athletes" that say a prayer before a big game. For VICTORY?
Or that look up and point into the sky after parading about and throwing their bat towards their opponents post-MONSTER Game Winning Home Run shot.

"May God Bless America, and no one else." Wha, What? :D

Yeah, like terrorists MAGICALLY appear in airline cockpits, after a tireless game of "Knock Knock".

Human error is what human error is. Blessings will come about from divine intervention as divine intervention deems appropriate. May God give you strength to control what you humanly can.

Something we humans CAN control:Katrina HELP!

Mail this to a Friend
www.iheartfw.com

#15 Y2J

Y2J

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

in response to the last 2 posts, so what city did get wiped out? what city or town got erased from existance? because all i been hearing about is new orleans this, new orleans that. poor new orleans huh? if some other place got the worst of it, i sure aint hearing about it. i dont pray, but i'll agree with drklts that some good came out of those who did

#16 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:32 PM

Not sure if I follow you y2j?

But many of towns did get wiped out. It is up to the human factor, God willing, that they do come back, and stronger/conscienciously. Many of towns got hit hard. But the media makes a story of the BIG EZ, now known as the BIG X. Lives were lost, lives were taken, and lives will be reborn. I don't pray as much as I used to, but when I do it is for others. That sense of others is unfolding as we speak, the enlightenement is occuring and God has a way of smilin down upon us. Just turn on the TV and you will hear of soo many different stories of survival, death, horror, and mayhem. IMHO, through it all God was there, is still there. When those towns and cities finally get rebuilt, the folks there will take a harder clearer look and see where God was and is. I see God's work everyday on TV now. Countless acts of kindness and offerings of hope, food, shelter, and money are just the beginnings of the great work ahead.
www.iheartfw.com

#17 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:56 PM

"Dear Lord, please direct the hurricane away from us in New Orleans -- maybe towards Gulfport instead."  ??????????????????????  :mellow: 

View Post

Oh my goodness seurto, I think you missed my point by a longshot! :D
When I meant that prayers were effective, I didn't mean that everyone who prayed asked for the hurricane to be "redirected" to an alternative spot. I think Y2J was trying to elaborate on that too. Common sense is that anyone praying was asking that the storm to not be too destructive or even stop dead in its tracks. Also if the unfortunate should happen, that everyone would pull though and that fellow man would help those in dire need and recovery will certainly happen.

Just as safly said, "Countless acts of kindness and offerings of hope, food, shelter, and money are just the beginnings of the great work ahead."

If thats not effective prayers happening, then i dont know what is -_-

#18 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

For one I never said my friend was Christian and for two nobody ever said that we were blaming black people for anything.  All my friend did was ask a simple question and now she is being put in the same category as the KKK people.  That is a little harsh don't you think?

View Post

Sorry for implying your friend was christian and I never said you two were blaming black people for anything. But anyone that uses a a tragedy to push any agenda, including a religious one, is no better than the groups I mentioned. So I don't feel it was a harsh comparison at all. I've seen similar comments made about the World Trade Center Attacks, the Tsumani in Thailand, San Francisco Earthquake, etc. But I'm not going to have an endless discussion about something as passionate as religion on an architectual site, so I'll just move on.

#19 ILoveAJuggalo1569

ILoveAJuggalo1569

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:33 PM

This is the miscellaneous site which means you can post anything you want. Other people are talking about NO and now you are trying to act so much better than me to drop this discussion and I think this needs to go on because I don't think that Christians should be put in the same category as KKK people. I want you to explain to me why you think this is. People read the Bible and it says in the Bible that God will destroy the sin cities and NO was one of the sin cities and all I wanted to know was what other people thought about that. I really didn't want to know you opinion on why you think Christians.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:14 PM

I don't think it's a matter of someone thinking that they're better than someone else. I lurk around message boards on a variety of topics and I've rarely seen threads concerning religious or theological matters ever turn into anything other than a flame war.

#21 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:28 PM

The Bible is not generally considered to be a useful weather forecast or hurricane predictor.

#22 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:04 PM

Just got back from the Meacham Airport Center. The refugees there are in VERY good spirits considering. Not a bad set-up with some hoops, makeshift pharmacy, tables and tables of clothing, shoes, and toiletries. Hats off to the vol's and nurses out there and donors.

THEY STILL NEED MORE PEOPLE TO HELP.

I'll see if I can BBQ/Grill for the folks out there this week. It should be a fun time.
www.iheartfw.com

#23 mikedsjr

mikedsjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Ecology, Church

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

Just got back from the Meacham Airport Center. The refugees there are in VERY good spirits considering. Not a bad set-up with some hoops, makeshift pharmacy, tables and tables of clothing, shoes, and toiletries. Hats off to the vol's and nurses out there and donors.

I'll see if I can BBQ/Grill for the folks out there this week. It should be a fun time.

View Post

What type of help do they need there?

#24 mikedsjr

mikedsjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Ecology, Church

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

I don't think it's a matter of someone thinking that they're better than someone else.  I lurk around message boards on a variety of topics and I've rarely seen threads concerning religious or theological matters ever turn into anything other than a flame war.

View Post

I somewhat agree, but we probably do agree that religion brings out alot of passion and emotions in people. Some of it improper. Some of it based on their understanding of what they really don't know very well. Some of it based truth. Some of it based on reality of how people act. And many other ways.

Truthfully, its the same way in other religious sites with forums. And when you add politics into it, you involve more levels of passion and emotions.

Personally, I honestly can't answer the question because I don't know the everything in the mind of God and no other humans does. What I do know is what God calls us to do in times like this. Demonstrate the life of Christ in our actions.

#25 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

I feel so bad for everything that has happened to New Orleans the past few days, but one of my close friends proposed a question the other day that made me think.  She said in the Bible it says that God will destroy the sin cities and New Orleans is one of the biggest sin cities they say.  If anyone is offended by this I am very sorry I just wanted to see what some other people thought about this.  I couldn't come up with an answer to her question because I for one have not really read the Bible.  But New Orleans and the people from the Katrina disaster will be in my prayers.

View Post

My vote is a non-vote . This is to silly. You should spend your time fighting cancer.

#26 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:10 PM

View Post

What type of help do they need there?

View Post

Just PEOPLE. To take on new shifts. Nurses could help, but people to take care of their needs. Also, a little girl would love to have a supply of Cool Ranch Sunflower Seeds. :?:
www.iheartfw.com

#27 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:03 PM

I don't think it's a matter of someone thinking that they're better than someone else.  I lurk around message boards on a variety of topics and I've rarely seen threads concerning religious or theological matters ever turn into anything other than a flame war.

View Post

Thank you, which is why I'm done with the subject.

#28 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:22 AM

But, y'know, I love these kinds of discussions if everyone can agree to and abide by the rules of engagement (no name calling, no dissing other people's beliefs, no trying to convert one way or the other, no personal agendas, etc.). It can just be a discussion, an exchange of ideas and thoughts, that's how humanity has progressed through the years. Obviously it is a touchy subject and a very personal one, but if we can't discuss things civilly, aren't we just perpetuating ignorance? Aren't we (as a people) able/courageous enough to intelligently discuss touchy matters, or is it just easier to blow it off. For a while some friends of mine and I would meet for dinner at a restaurant and have what we called "round table discussions." Any subject was valid to discuss as long as we all knew it was just a discussion, took no offence and left the friends we came as. It works, it can be done.

Man, I gotta stop the diatribes :?: !

#29 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:54 PM

For a while some friends of mine and I would meet for dinner at a restaurant and have what we called "round table discussions." Any subject was valid to discuss as long as we all knew it was just a discussion, took no offence and left the friends we came as. It works, it can be done.

Well, what happened. Why only for a while?

I too believe that we should be open for discussing anything as humans and cyber buffs. But some people do take it too far, or too personal. The question with the topic does raise a valid Q, but a rather unproveable one. So the discussion could take forever, and maybe that is what God wants us to do. The whole idea about the Sodom and Gahmorra (excuse the spelling) signage that one pastor chose to use was of his right, though it may seem distasteful to some, it was what he felt and no one should try to change that what so ever. Maybe that sign will allow many to ponder the Q and convert or be "born again" for his cause. Like amany have posted before, we all have our own FREE WILL. The tragedies that followed the aftermath of Katrina were that of a "worst case scenario" for that region and showed traces of human error in a before and after timeline. So, for the least, I would HOPE that those responsible for leading the FEMA actions and local evacuation responsibilites would stop fleeing to more COMFORTABLE higher grounds and get their waders on, get DIRTY, and start pluckin out people left and right. It would be the most responsible thing to do right now. It seems that all this B#$%&IN and moaning about who did this and who didn't do that is just curtailing what actions needs to be done. The people have spoken and now it's time to pay the piper. So Gov. Blanco, Mayor Nagin, and "soon to be former" FEMA director Brown, get your waders on and start pullin them out, baggin em up, and writing letters to their loved ones from a makeshift morgue. We should NEVER let them get away this easily. NEVER!
www.iheartfw.com

#30 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:38 PM

[quote name='safly' date='Sep 9 2005, 01:54 PM']
[quote]For a while some friends of mine and I would meet for dinner at a restaurant and have what we called "round table discussions." Any subject was valid to discuss as long as we all knew it was just a discussion, took no offence and left the friends we came as. It works, it can be done.[/quote]

Well, what happened. Why only for a while?

Unfortunately, some moved away, some had other obligations come up. We still meet, but don't get the good discussions going to the level we used to.

#31 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:42 PM

As time passes, I think the blame may be shifted more toward the state of Louisiana's governing bodies, as more information surfaces as to what actually happened before, during and after Katrina. I think the federal level may hold some blame for lack of funding on the “Hurricane Pam Study” whose predictions have turned out eerily accurate, except for the 61,000+ dead and 300,000+ injured, or at least let’s hope they missed that one.

On the religious note; I’m sure pastors all over America are already all over the smite angle, especially given our Puritan underpinnings. Smite, now there’s a word you don’t hear everyday… :?:

I think all those butterflies on their way to California might have had something to do with it. Got one on the way to work this morning, “small orange poof,” …one less hurricane to worry about. -_-

#32 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:00 PM

I did notice the many butterflies floating about while in SA during the days leading to Katrina and just after. Kinda late in the summer for seeing them I thought. What does that have to do with it? Interesting.

There have also been reports from shrimpboaters that their catch in days leading up to Katrina were diminished by almost 90%. Oh and expect oysters to skyrocket in price in the coming months. It will take 1.5 to 2 years for the oyster beds in the Gulf to re-populate safely. Naughty oysters for now. :?: Ahh, Mother Nature at work. -_-
www.iheartfw.com

#33 AEinsurancepal

AEinsurancepal

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:27 AM

[size=5][font=Tahoma] Yes, God is more than capable, most sovereign, and speaks to us regarding these issues in the Old Testament... And He blinds those He chooses (hello? the levi?) and He awakens those He chooses to awaken.

My suggestion: Read the book of Hosea for a better understanding of how He feels when His people become so incredibly lost.

As to hurricanes, flooding, etc., Hosea 5:10:

10The princes of Judah have become like those who move a boundary;
On them I will pour out My wrath like water.

So yes, I believe it was an Act of God.

#34 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:45 PM

I'm sorry, but you FAIL to prove that it was an "ACT OF GOD". My GOD would allow us all to get along, span the globe, live untouched and unharmed. But through it all MY GOD allows the human touch and existence of our faults and FREE WILL to take it's course. Basically, we are responsible for actions that take place. Could this major storm be one from decades of aggressive human behaviors and means of living? Can't answer that for sure, but why would GOD tinker with such a display of force in the Gulf of Mexico, when GOD has the whole UNIVERSE to watch over? If anything it was merely programmed since the beginning of time to simply SLOW US DOWN. Sort of like that car accident that takes place on your street from two totally exact strangers. It was one of fatal results, no pulse to be found among those involved. But there was one pulse that grew faster and louder and bigger than before. The neighborhood. This event brought the neighbors out together, some who perhaps never knew the person living next door to them or down the street, and then somebody somewhere decides to do something about what just happened and gets the city to build speed bumps and perhaps a child park to keep the young ones safe. IT BRINGS people TOGETHER, and that is EXACTLY what was most important from the aftermaths of KATRINA. Not who did it, what did it, and why. IT just plain vanilla happened! And how you RESPOND to what is ultimately out of your hands is what counts.

As for reading into the old or new testaments, quite literally on certain occassions, I cannot prove nor disprove. Afterall, there was no known indicator of weather related events in those times as fact, no meteorologists, no Farmer's Almanac, no Weather Channel, no Accuweather.com, or even no Al Roker to present future weather patterns on a tablet. A hurricane or storm back then was most likely thrown waaay out of proportion, I mean back then WHY NOT? You couldn't prepare by today's standards to say the least.

I simply cannot judge your translation of the written WORD (PERHAPS that is a mystery by design?), but along the lines of not truly judging those works, I or anybody else on Earth CANNOT PROVE those works either. You can BELIEVE and say it as so, a BELIEF, but to say that it TRULY is what happened and why is setting yourself for a never ending argument. Perhaps that is why so much of the WORLD is willing to fight, kill and torture one another? Some are just willing to DIE and KILL in honor of what they BELIEVE. How does God allow those acts to make much sense? Perhaps, we will never know, or find out much too late.

All in all, PEACE. wink.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#35 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Jan 8 2006, 05:45 PM) View Post

I'm sorry, but you FAIL to prove that it was an "ACT OF GOD". My GOD would allow us all to get along, span the globe, live untouched and unharmed. But through it all MY GOD allows the human touch and existence of our faults and FREE WILL to take it's course. Basically, we are responsible for actions that take place. Could this major storm be one from decades of aggressive human behaviors and means of living? Can't answer that for sure, but why would GOD tinker with such a display of force in the Gulf of Mexico, when GOD has the whole UNIVERSE to watch over? If anything it was merely programmed since the beginning of time to simply SLOW US DOWN. Sort of like that car accident that takes place on your street from two totally exact strangers. It was one of fatal results, no pulse to be found among those involved. But there was one pulse that grew faster and louder and bigger than before. The neighborhood. This event brought the neighbors out together, some who perhaps never knew the person living next door to them or down the street, and then somebody somewhere decides to do something about what just happened and gets the city to build speed bumps and perhaps a child park to keep the young ones safe. IT BRINGS people TOGETHER, and that is EXACTLY what was most important from the aftermaths of KATRINA. Not who did it, what did it, and why. IT just plain vanilla happened! And how you RESPOND to what is ultimately out of your hands is what counts.

As for reading into the old or new testaments, quite literally on certain occassions, I cannot prove nor disprove. Afterall, there was no known indicator of weather related events in those times as fact, no meteorologists, no Farmer's Almanac, no Weather Channel, no Accuweather.com, or even no Al Roker to present future weather patterns on a tablet. A hurricane or storm back then was most likely thrown waaay out of proportion, I mean back then WHY NOT? You couldn't prepare by today's standards to say the least.

I simply cannot judge your translation of the written WORD (PERHAPS that is a mystery by design?), but along the lines of not truly judging those works, I or anybody else on Earth CANNOT PROVE those works either. You can BELIEVE and say it as so, a BELIEF, but to say that it TRULY is what happened and why is setting yourself for a never ending argument. Perhaps that is why so much of the WORLD is willing to fight, kill and torture one another? Some are just willing to DIE and KILL in honor of what they BELIEVE. How does God allow those acts to make much sense? Perhaps, we will never know, or find out much too late.

All in all, PEACE. wink.gif

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

#36 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

Funny, I just saw this resurrected thread and voted for An act of God before I read the comments. I was thinking more in a legal sense. I don't think any human is responsible for what happened but I also don't believe that God said I think I'll smite the evil city of N.O. with a hurricane. I think when something bad happens a lot of people ask themselves what did I do to deserve this but saying it out loud is just asking for someone to give you an answer you don't want to hear.

#37 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

This just caught my eye on AOL News.......

'God Is Mad at America,' Says New Orleans Mayor
Nagin Vows Rebuilt City Will Be 'Chocolate'
By BRETT MARTEL, AP

NEW ORLEANS (Jan. 17) - Mayor Ray Nagin suggested Monday that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities, too, for tearing themselves apart with violence and political infighting.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin, who is black, said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans - the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Nagin described an imaginary conversation with King, the late civil rights leader.

"I said, `What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?' He said, `I don't think that we need to pay attention any more as much about other folks and racists on the other side.' He said, `The thing we need to focus on as a community - black folks I'm talking about - is ourselves.'"

Nagin said he also asked: "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

The reply, Nagin said, was: "We as a people need to fix ourselves first."

Nagin also said King would have been dismayed with black leaders who are "most of the time tearing each other down publicly for the delight of many."

A day earlier, gunfire erupted at a parade to commemorate King's birthday. Three people were wounded in the daylight shooting amid a throng of mostly black spectators, but police said there were no immediate suspects or witnesses.

01-17-06 07:19 EST

#38 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:59 PM

I heard a comment about Nagin's remarks on a talk show earlier today that made me laugh: Can you imagine the backlash that would ensue if Salt Lake City were devastated by a disaster and the mayor of SLC declared that it would be rebuilt as a "vanilla city"?

#39 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Jan 17 2006, 03:59 PM) View Post

I heard a comment about Nagin's remarks on a talk show earlier today that made me laugh: Can you imagine the backlash that would ensue if Salt Lake City were devastated by a disaster and the mayor of SLC declared that it would be rebuilt as a "vanilla city"?

Isn't that the honest to goodness truth! As if MLK would condone Nagin's ideas/remarks huh.gif

#40 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, Nagin is pretty much playing "town idiot" here. Why speak of such lunacy when it requires DISENfranchising all other groups which inhabit N.O.

I swear this guy is afraid to look himself in the mirror sometimes. AT LEAST ONCE Mayor Nagin, just ONCE!

It's as if he's OBLIVIOUS to the REAL MIRACLE working alongside the AFTERMATH here.
Louisiana will lose a worthless undetermined governor, and the N.O. will lose a worthless undetermined mayor. Hundreds of thousands of people(from all backgrounds) have opened their arms to those in need, shard their possessions, their homes, mil. bases and EVEN stadiums . This is EXACTLY what Mayor Nagin should be discussing with those people, ESPECIALLY on Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. biggrin.gif

I am just curious to how he is going to make N.O. a land of "chocolate".
Sounds YUMMY though. Perhaps a land of "Schakolad" would have been better stated? biggrin.gif

Again, Nagin all talk and no resourceful solutions.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans - the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

What an IDIOT. That is VERY scary that people still LISTEN to someone who SUPPOSEDLY knows what GOD has intended for all of us. As if N.O. (jazz, gumbo, Mardi Gras and tabasco?)is God's priority #1 here. If GOD really had something to say about this, PERHAPS GOD would love for the Native Americans to have her back. Perhaps. dry.gif

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Mississippi rep's who actually went out to their own horrors and began pulling out human remains. They have my 100% RESPECT.
www.iheartfw.com

#41 AEinsurancepal

AEinsurancepal

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

Wow! Talk about Resurection!! laugh.gif For a while, I thought no one was going to respond!

Well, I think my posting was short and to a point but was answering a different question. Do I KNOW that Katrina was an act of God? NO I don't know God's workings.

Is God capable of such? Yes.

In His Word, does he despise Ephraim, whom is calls a whore? Yes.

I think we can all agree He is capable. I guess my belief is that He is in control and if he didn't want N.O. sunk, he wouldn't have let it happen. I believe he comforted those he chose to comfort and brought some folks to a better place (i.e. Texas!) than what they had before.

The deal with the scripture is that during the week following Katrina, I was overwhelmed with compassion and fear of God, for I'd been part of the party in N.O. in times past, and just realized how all the national security in the world would not been able to stop something like this. I was afraid and sad for the people. I prayed and picked up my bible, and I'll never forget my eyes immediately landed on the "pour out wrath like water" scripture. I mean, HELLO??? So I read Hosea. That is that. And I'll never forget it.

Wow! Talk about Resurrection!! laugh.gif For a while, I thought no one was going to respond!

Well, I think my posting was short and to a point but was answering a different question. Do I KNOW that Katrina was an act of God? NO I don't know God's workings.

Is God capable of such? Yes.

In His Word, does he despise Ephraim, whom is calls a whore? Yes.

I think we can all agree He is capable. I guess my belief is that He is in control and if he didn't want N.O. sunk, he wouldn't have let it happen. I believe he comforted those he chose to comfort and brought some folks to a better place (i.e. Texas!) than what they had before.

The deal with the scripture is that during the week following Katrina, I was overwhelmed with compassion and fear of God, for I'd been part of the party in N.O. in times past, and just realized how all the national security in the world would not been able to stop something like this. I was afraid and sad for the people. I prayed and picked up my bible, and I'll never forget my eyes immediately landed on the "pour out wrath like water" scripture. I mean, HELLO??? So I read Hosea. That is that. And I'll never forget it.

#42 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

I think we can all agree He is capable.

ahh,....no. I don't agree.

#43 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Sorry Insurance GUY. But my GOD is quite different from your version. Now can we drop bombs on eachother? huh.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#44 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

So what does it mean when you read insurance disclaimers that say, not responsible for "Acts of God"??? blink.gif

#45 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

Are you sugesting that the ultimate proof of the Almighty's wrath lies in the benign language of P&C contracts?

#46 AEinsurancepal

AEinsurancepal

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:07 AM

I apologize for ruffling feathers, and I believe God loves us all because He is love. And I promise I'm not trying to be cute or seem high and mighty, holier than thou!!! I'm one of the biggest sinners I know! But I'm trying to be good!

As far as the insurance disclaimers go, I'd have to see the exclusion in context of the policy. "Acts of God" exclusions are best suited for 3rd party, liablity coverage. It makes since to have it in the policy b/c you can't sue God/Nature/Animals/etc, right? Right. Just like you can't make a claim or sue yourself, so you'll see exclusions that prohibit coverage for entities you have ownership interest in. Make sense?

I don't work much with 1st party coverages, but I think Acts of God can be covered (i.e. Auto coverage for hail damage).

As far as His wrath in P&C Contracts, I don't understand the question.

Anywho, there are mysteries that we'll never figure out, and I'm fine with that. As a child, I thought God was crying when it rained! laugh.gif

But we sure needed that rain last weekend! I'm hoping we get some this weekend too! Sorry for the long msg, but I guess I dug myself pretty deep. eh? Sorry. Truce? unsure.gif

#47 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

As far as His wrath in P&C Contracts, I don't understand the question.

It is a tongue in cheek rhetorical question, meant more to question the logic behind DrkLts' post.

#48 AEinsurancepal

AEinsurancepal

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:44 AM

Cool.

#49 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(AEinsurancepal @ Jan 25 2006, 09:07 AM) View Post

Anywho, there are mysteries that we'll never figure out, and I'm fine with that. As a child, I thought God was crying when it rained! laugh.gif

But we sure needed that rain last weekend! I'm hoping we get some this weekend too! Sorry for the long msg, but I guess I dug myself pretty deep. eh? Sorry. Truce? unsure.gif

All this talk about religion and then the rain reminds me of a scene in the movie "Frisco Kid"

An indian chief was asking the Rabbi (played by Gene Wilder) if his god could make it rain. The Rabbi said yes, the chief asked for his god to do it, the Rabbi explained that "He's your god too" and he doesn't do requests like that. After some banter back and forth, it suddenly starts to rain, the Rabbi then exclaimed "Sometimes, he changes his mind, just like that!"

Erik France

#50 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

Let's see...

Build a city where one of the planet's largest rivers (by length, drainage area, and mean discharge) empties into a hurricane-prone gulf.

Make sure the city is also on the shore of a reasonably large estuary/lake that's also connected to the gulf so that the gulf can drive the water level in the lake.

Oh, expand blindly until about 80% of the city is below sea (and lake) level.

Spend decades focusing flood-control efforts on the clear possibility that the mighty river might flood, but disregard out of ignorance or hubris that the preventative action makes the city more vulnerable to the effects of a potential hurricane.

Develop the city in such a way that the shoreline, wetlands, etc. are changed until the city is even more vulnerable to the effects of a potential hurricane.

Let politicians decide where Corps of Engineers funds are spent so they'll divert those funds to the dredging of deeper commercial shipping channels because "a category 3+ hurricane probably won't hit us this year so lets spend the money on our local economy and worry about hurricanes later." Repeat. For years.

Don't wake up and ask the federal government for more funding to protect the city from the potential devastation of high category storms until the federal government is running its largest deficit ever and is going to say, "Sorry, neighbor; can't help ya".

And when the inevitable happens, let's blame it all on God.

"Blessed are the poor in spirt, but, hey, someone's gotta serve as a warning to Washington about my displeasure with their foreign policy."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users