S-T announces Buc-ee's Hillsboro:

https://www.star-tel...e271004832.html

#2 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 10 January 2023 - 10:43 PM

I am hoping that they will open one in Hudson Oaks/Weatherford.  It seems to me that it would be a good fit with the pattern they seem to have followed with other locations. 

I like their dry sausage and beef jerky.  Driving up I-35 to the one in Fort Worth is only a tad bit further away for me than the Hudson Oaks area is.  But driving up I-35 to that area tends to be an unpleasant hassle while the drive to Hudson Oaks is much less so.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 January 2023 - 10:49 PM

It's good to have you posting again, Dismuke.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 10:51 PM

There are plenty of rumors that they're going in to Weatherford or Hudson Oaks soon.  

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:11 PM

Honestly, I wish it were closer... but that's good. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#6 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 11 January 2023 - 12:42 AM

Honestly, I wish it were closer... but that's good. 

There's always the one at TMS... but honestly, with traffic, Hillsboro may be closer to you.

#7 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:26 AM

We've talked about the possible Parker County location in the main Buc-ee's thread, https://www.fortwort...677#entry136406

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,449 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:24 AM

I probably should move these posts to the Buc-ee's thread and change the title to just "Buc-ee's looking at area expansions".

#9 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:09 AM

I am hoping that they will open one in Hudson Oaks/Weatherford.  It seems to me that it would be a good fit with the pattern they seem to have followed with other locations. 

I like their dry sausage and beef jerky.  Driving up I-35 to the one in Fort Worth is only a tad bit further away for me than the Hudson Oaks area is.  But driving up I-35 to that area tends to be an unpleasant hassle while the drive to Hudson Oaks is much less so.

I used to think a lot more highly of Buc-ee's but it seems the more I visit, the less I like it.  Maybe the novelty has worn off for me, but there's a couple things bothering me about it:

a) Their food seems underwhelming now more so than before.  The brisket is edible but not amazing.  Salads are mediocre.    

b ) I've tried several times to buy a deli-made turkey sandwich that I really like at two or three different locations (not the BBQ turkey) and all attempts failed.  Was told they were having problems sourcing turkey meat for months on end?

c) I don't like the idea of stopping at a gas station and spending $30+ on what we could have bought a full meal somewhere else without the hype and a more satisfying meal.

d) The crowds are overwhelming to the point where it's just not fun anymore unless that's your thing.  At least the bathrooms are clean, I'll give them that.

e) They don't offer anywhere to sit and eat.  I'm sure it is part of the business model, keep people moving, go back to your car etc, but some picnic tables outside or something would be nice.

f) They have a hundred + gas pumps but people park and go inside for 20 minutes.  Sort of annoying.  Just get your gas and move your car.  Maybe the shaded awning over the gas pumps is the reprieve on a hot summer's day and makes up for their lack of anywhere to sit inside or outside.  Basically, I'll just sit here in the shade and eat my $30 gas station meal.

g) The staff seem somewhat uninviting at times and frankly borderline rude.  There are a few standouts trying to make the experience nice, but I've picked up on a weird vibe from several employees, they can't be bothered or if they do help you it is sort of with reluctance or annoyance.  I'm sure seeing thousands of people a day filter through a gas station tends to wear you down after a while so I'll give them some grace, but how about a little bit of personality, maybe just a smile or something to show you don't hate life completely.  I thought it was supposed to be sort of a better-than-average place to work?  I occasion Allsup's and though they are a lot smaller, almost all of the staff are friendly and engaging, cracking jokes, seem to be pretty laid back too.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

I've only been to Buc-ee's a couple of times outside of road trips for many of the reasons you list above.

I've only tried any of their BBQ one time and that was enough.  It's not smoked onsite and it's just not that good.  The only hot food I've had is their hot dogs and they were pretty good.  I do like their branded snacks and beef jerky and their fountain drinks are also priced better than most stores.

I hate eating in the car, so I'm bothered by them not having anywhere to sit.

The crowds come with the territory and I don't go often enough to let it bother me.  I've been to probably a half dozen or more of their location and the one on the Alabama/Florida border is by far the craziest.  It's at the last turn off for Gulf Shores and catches all of the Panhandle traffic coming and going.  It's a smaller store with 2 entrances instead of 3 and the entrances and exits to the parking area are both on the back side of the store.

I've always thought the no-nonsense attitude of the employees was part of their quick service business model.  As for it being a better than average employer, I wouldn't interpret higher pay as making it a good place to work.  Everything I've ever heard indicates that their employees earn that.  Long shifts standing the entire time, very short break times, and dealing with constant crowds.  In other words, it's a typical service industry job.

#11 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 08:35 PM

Looking like a late March opening: https://www.star-tel...e284581865.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users