• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 14 June 2022 - 06:57 AM

The Fort Worth Report on future Panther Island economic development (below) may be more properly posted elsewhere, but I post it here because an official is quoted as stating that the office market may be changing because of the pandemic.  I took that to imply that the vertical dimension of Class A office buildings may be downsized in the future on account of remotely situated employees and executives (in addition to the leveling of the hierarchical structure and decentralization of authority trends). My take on this; someone else may see a different implication.

I suspect Panther Island in the future will be more residential and commercial than office.  And I'm beginning to think that future Class A office buildings there or anywhere else will be in the range of 8 to 12 floors rather than the skyscrapers we've come to know and expect.  And I'm beginning to think that spread-out corporate campuses will be preferred (demanding more land space) to densely packed high rises like we see in downtown Dallas.  Panther Island development may give us a clue.

https://fortworthrep...81807-527651671

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 11:02 AM

I suspect Panther Island in the future will be more residential and commercial than office.  And I'm beginning to think that future Class A office buildings there or anywhere else will be in the range of 8 to 12 floors rather than the skyscrapers we've come to know and expect.  And I'm beginning to think that spread-out corporate campuses will be preferred (demanding more land space) to densely packed high rises like we see in downtown Dallas.  Panther Island development may give us a clue.

https://fortworthrep...81807-527651671

Eww... 

(Although, I agree about Panther Island. As a matter of fact, I think it would be better off being MAINLY residential and commercial. I feel like it would be more active that way.)

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 12:39 PM

The pandemic did not slow new office construction on the eastern side of DFW and since there was and is  no office boom in Fort Worth, I don't think anyone really expected Panther Island to have the tall office towers imagined in renderings.  We all know it's going to pretty much be apartment complexes with a few restaurants thrown in. 

#4 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 02:10 PM

There were a few pretty major high rise office / mixed-use developments in Dallas that were put on hold and still are on hold or in their 5th iteration meaning it started off as office / retail, now condos.  I did see the PGA headquarters in Frisco wrapping up, also new phases of the Star complex underway, so you're not wrong in that respect.  It doesn't seem like new office space in-general is going at the same pace pre-pandemic for obvious reasons.  

I agree with your apprehensions about Panther Island just becoming apartments with a bit of retail sprinkled in...I'd rather see a beautiful library, more park space and even a better indoor / outdoor events venue like Toyota Music Factory.  Panther Island Pavilion always struck me as "half-baked" as far as its accessibility and ease of set-up / tear-down.  Seeing major events bring in massive show power generators just seems like such a chore to me.

03_Music-Factory_2000x1125_1585663393_10

music-factory-1.jpg?resize=width:50

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 02:33 PM

I would love to have a venue in Fort Worth that's similar to the Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory.  It's a great place to see a show.  My wife and daughter went to an event there last weekend that was pretty far from a sellout and they had the lawn doors closed.  She said it made for a much cooler environment.

#6 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 07:17 AM

There were a few pretty major high rise office / mixed-use developments in Dallas that were put on hold and still are on hold or in their 5th iteration meaning it started off as office / retail, now condos.  I did see the PGA headquarters in Frisco wrapping up, also new phases of the Star complex underway, so you're not wrong in that respect.  It doesn't seem like new office space in-general is going at the same pace pre-pandemic for obvious reasons.  

I

But still plenty of office space going up  in Dallas, Plano, Irving, Frisco, Allen, Richardson, Lewisville, The Colony & Mckinney . It's not going at the same pace, but it's going...just not here in FW. It amazes me how long Fortworthians have predicted office building doom for Dallas (and surrounding area), yet offices keep going up there.  . At this point, ANY amount of office space on Panther Island would be a win. 

A Toyota Music Factory like entertainment component would be awesome though. 

#7 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:03 PM

The pandemic did not slow new office construction on the eastern side of DFW and since there was and is  no office boom in Fort Worth, I don't think anyone really expected Panther Island to have the tall office towers imagined in renderings.  We all know it's going to pretty much be apartment complexes with a few restaurants thrown in. 

Not surprising to get a comment from you on these sorts of topics.  You never pass on an opportunity to kick a good man while he's down.

#8 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:19 PM

Not surprising to get a comment from you on these sorts of topics.  You never pass on an opportunity to kick a good man while he's down.

That's probably because it's one of the few forum topics that really interest me, I work (sorta) in that industry and it's a problem that this city continues to ignore and downplay.   If you see calling the  issue out repeatedly  a knock against Fort Worth, I can't help that.  But I really wouldn't worry about it much,  because, as you see, it changes absolutely nothing. 

#9 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 02:42 PM

The Fort Worth Report on future Panther Island economic development (below) may be more properly posted elsewhere, but I post it here because an official is quoted as stating that the office market may be changing because of the pandemic.  I took that to imply that the vertical dimension of Class A office buildings may be downsized in the future on account of remotely situated employees and executives (in addition to the leveling of the hierarchical structure and decentralization of authority trends). My take on this; someone else may see a different implication.

See...this is the kind of thinking that keeps Fort Worth behind in office space and white collar jobs.  If the pandemic has "changed" things so much, then why is it that I can think of five office buildings going up in/around downtown Dallas?  The Goldman Sachs office consolidation seems to be a done deal, a 15 story office building is going up in Irving, along with credible rumors that Wells Fargo is putting a huge campus there and two new office buildings are going up in Cypress Waters, Right outside of my office window in Plano, ground work is starting on a 24 story office tower, two more towers are going up across the tollway, and to the  north in Frisco,  I can see the cranes for two new office towers around The Star development.  My own company's Dallas office is moving into a brand new 27 story office tower next year that is currently under construction.  These are all breaking ground AFTER the pandemic. But in Fort Worth...the office market is changing??  I guess they can sell that shlock to people that never see the other side of the metroplex.  To us that do, these excuses are practically embarrassing at this point. 

Just say that Fort Worth is unable to attract corporate relocations, office construction and white collar jobs and be done with it.  When you try to explain it  away with mess like this, you just look stupid, especially  when office space is  being built everywhere in DFW but here. 

And changing??  Fort Worth didn't really build any office space before the pandemic and there's no plans to build much after.  So it hasn't changed at all. 

#10 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 08:36 PM

The quote about possible changes to the office market came from "Michael Bennett, CEO of Bennett Partners Architecture, who is leading the project for the Real Estate Council of Greater Fort Worth". He didn't say anything crazy or alarming. He said the Fort Worth has changed in the 20 years since the plans were made (this is a fact), that the office market has changed since Covid (also a fact, notwithstanding the fact that some delayed projects are moving forward), and that revisiting the plans to see whether or not anything needs to be "tweaked or rethought" is a good idea (it is). He said they don't know if they will need to change anything, that they don't want to change anything in progress or delay anything - but, let's be honest: all things considered, reviewing the situation is the sane and responsible thing to do.

Seeing new construction around you does not at all mean things haven't changed. It isn't that no new construction is needed - but a lot of companies are still trying to figure out what their real estate footprint should look like going forward. Where should things be consolidated? What leases will they wind down? Some are moving forward with plans they made before Covid and some are being more cautious. Things will still be built and there will (as ever) be winners and losers in attracting those developments.

#11 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 16 June 2022 - 12:16 PM

That's probably because it's one of the few forum topics that really interest me, I work (sorta) in that industry and it's a problem that this city continues to ignore and downplay.   If you see calling the  issue out repeatedly  a knock against Fort Worth, I can't help that.  But I really wouldn't worry about it much,  because, as you see, it changes absolutely nothing. 

I don't have a problem with you calling out issues, many of us on here do, however I don't think I recall a positive comment from you on anything positive going on.  If it's something that you feel is negative and you can twist in the knife that is when you chime in. Of course you are free to do so.  I just think if you balanced out some of your comments maybe you wouldn't come off sounding like a troll.

I don't think the city is ignoring these issues but cities like Frisco, Plano and Allen offer extreme tax incentives for development to come to the city.  FW could probably do the same but that doesn't mean a company is going to choose it.  They go where the growth is.  Our sub par school district doesn't help our cause either.   That is what they really need to address.  Corporate relocation only makes sense if that can be addressed which is what one of my main critiques of the city.

#12 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 01:53 PM

I don't have a problem with you calling out issues, many of us on here do, however I don't think I recall a positive comment from you on anything positive going on.  If it's something that you feel is negative and you can twist in the knife that is when you chime in. Of course you are free to do so.  I just think if you balanced out some of your comments maybe you wouldn't come off sounding like a troll.

I have zero feelings about coming off like anything.  I post my opinions as they are...not concerned about balancing them with cute thoughts and smiley faces.  This is a an architectural forum, I don't care enough to get in my feelings about anything anyone says on here.  I'm down for a good discussion, but not here to argue or name call; don't care enough.  You know you can always ignore my posts, right? I do it all the time.  And usually I would have ignored this one, but I'm waiting to pick up my car and have nothing better to do.  

So take care...I shouldn't be hearing from you again, because you should ignoring my trolling from now on. 

#13 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 04:43 PM

One of those two buildings going up in cypress waters is where my company is moving. We went remote in March of 2020, and now I go into the office twice a month for about 3 hours or so. We are moving from a larger space in cypress waters to a bigger building with nicer amenities, but a smaller office. It will also be set up for shared working space, as we no longer have our own workstation at the office. Totally random but since you happened to mention it, I thought I would add that, because it illustrates one way that office trends are changing, and could present some opportunities for new construction in Fort Worth as well.

#14 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 05:25 PM

My employer is based in San Antonio. They have a ginormous home office there but also were leasing space in several other places scattered around the area - including some downtown they'd picked up not long before Covid as part of a deal with the city. The city was trying to get more people working downtown. In Plano, just before Covid they negotiated a lease in the building next-door to the three on our campus here. This was to accommodate staff they'd be moving from Addison as well as for expected growth.

When Covid started, they got everyone working from home very quickly. As things settle into the new normal, most employees will now be permanently hybrid (in the office 3 days a week) while some (based on position) have been permanently changed to remote employees. Things are still in flux and they're not really pressuring people to make sure they're at the office their 3 days. So there are fewer people in the office on any given day but they are keeping desks more spread out than before so the impact on the amount of floor space we'll ultimately need isn't clear yet.

However, all San Antonio employees who are going into the office will be at the headquarters building; they've let all those other leases go. There has been no talk about us taking over the building next door in Plano. Teammates working at a site in another state have all been moved from the 'annex' building to the main building there. It has been an experience going from jockeying for a place to put everyone and being spread out in multiple locations in some cities to where we are now with fewer building that feel pretty empty when you go in. There have been days where I've been the only person on my floor. It's almost surreal.

#15 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:33 PM

And usually I would have ignored this one, but I'm waiting to pick up my car and have nothing better to do.  

Yet you didn't ignore it so that means you do care.  However, I will take care and I won't ignore your comments.  Everyone is free to give and receive comments on a forum and if you feel the need to stay negative and I agree with your negative comment then I will say so and if I disagree and have a different point of view then I will say so as well.  Believe it or not, you have made some comments and points on here that I totally agreed with. 

#16 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:48 PM

Is office market changing?  Yes.

How is it changing?  Its nuanced.  Its inconveniently difficult to summarize with a quick statement. 

• Trends are different across cities and industry segments.  Examples: law firms mostly in-person or mild hybrid, tech firms: mostly remote/distributed or flexible hybrid. ***So if you're a software engineer employed by Google and want to live in Fort Worth, Texas (which lacks a Google office), congrats, its easier than ever.*** 
  •  
  • A small % of office-using companies are going fully remote (i.e. no offices whatsoever).  They always have the option to reverse that if they find its disadvantageous.
  •  
  • Most larger firms have shifted to hybrid work scenarios, where people are in the office 2-4 days/week and some people allowed to work from anywhere & come in periodically.  Is taking many some time to sort out results of this grand experiment.  I think results will vary widely.
  •  
  • There seems to be persistent demand (what we're seeing in our buildings in FW, anyway) for smaller spaces (1000-2500 SF), in well-located (not far from key talent), amenitized (especially walkable) locations, and buildings & spaces that look/feel current or next-gen, if you will.  Most of these companies want to have team together at least 1-2 days/week, so don't have much room to shrink without going to coworking space, so we're seeing lots of demand from companies staying in this range, growing into it, and shrinking down to it.
  •  
  • Some companies are favoring low-rise buildings over high rise (>16 stories).  Local example is the new Fort Worth Crescent office building.  I've heard this from several institutional office owners & leasing brokers, but so far, nobody has been able to cite any objective reasoning behind it beyond "tenant preference".  Its like a hangover remaining from 2020-21 of concerns about elevators & virus transmission.  Unless viruses keep coming back, IMO this will subside with time.  But is much easier to develop a 4-12 story office building vs a high rise so this combination (as well as tighter lending standards for office development) likely means low to mid-rise office development is more likely over the coming few years unless the trends change or a large company commits to a high rise.
  •  
  • Many (not all) larger companies who are highly focused on talent attraction & retention (and going hybrid) are shrinking their office footprints. HOWEVER, they are spending much more $$ on those smaller footprints to make them hyper-attractive to current/future talent.  These newly built buildings have lease rates 1.5-2.5X vs 1980s-90s Class A buildings, so rent/SF will be much higher, but total rent might be similar to their old larger footprints.  These companies WANT their teams in the office.  They want their employees to WANT to come in (or at least agree to come in), so designing impressive common & meeting spaces, unassigned work stations, including biophilic designs (indoor plants). 
  •  
  • For smaller firms, where attracting & retaining talent also matters greatly, it often doesn't make sense for them to pour tons of money into their spaces (small spaces lack economies of scale that larger ones have). They typically choose to balance having a forward-looking attractive space with careful investment with their office design & finish out. 
  • An example of this in one of our buildings is at our 2nd floor Magnolia May (is a 1600 SF creative office space - nicely designed but not wastefully expensive):
  • https://www.loopnet....th-TX/23176450/
  • Credits:  TBG Partners (former tenant) and Fort Worth office of Beck Architecture (office space tenant finish out).  Bennett Partners is architect for adaptive reuse of overall building.

#17 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:15 PM

Our neighbors to the east may be getting a couple more buildings:

https://www.nbcdfw.c...lanned/2996544/

#18 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 06:15 PM

Our neighbors to the east may be getting a couple more buildings:

https://www.nbcdfw.c...lanned/2996544/

Knew about these. 

Just more salt in the wound... 

7fwPZnE.png

#19 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 06:20 PM

Wow, 80-stories.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 June 2022 - 07:22 PM

I mentioned somewhere on this forum that I viewed the North End Apartments as "temporary" construction until the highest and best use for the land was found.  I also said that I thought they would be demolished in the not too distant future.

#21 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:50 AM

One factor we appear not to be considering is the effect of the city's height restrictions in zoning classifications.  Does anyone here believe Fort Worth is too stringent in restricting building height in areas outside of downtown?  A good example are the height restrictions in the West 7th area.  Good urban planning?  I notice the forum has a separate thread here on Fort Worth height restrictions, but I think this factor affects the vertical dimension of office building designs in our city, aside from any new trends in the marketplace.

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:40 AM

One factor we appear not to be considering is the effect of the city's height restrictions in zoning classifications.  Does anyone here believe Fort Worth is too stringent in restricting building height in areas outside of downtown?  A good example are the height restrictions in the West 7th area.  Good urban planning?  I notice the forum has a separate thread here on Fort Worth height restrictions, but I think this factor affects the vertical dimension of office building designs in our city, aside from any new trends in the marketplace.

I honestly don't think that's the case, at all, just looking at what we have IN downtown... or lack-there-of, anyway. 

7fwPZnE.png

#23 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:59 PM

Height restrictions are not keeping anything from getting built downtown where there is a large supply of vacant and underutilized land.

I'm puzzled as to why downtown is starting to look like a wasteland of new development for anything but residential.  The city (as in the government) can only do so much and the business community appears to be scared to death of Fort Worth.  A lot of factors haven't helped: 1 or 2 entities owning large swaths of downtown property, draining large amounts of supply from the market through the XTO office conversions and city hall (this is a big sign of weakness in my opinion), and the wild amount of sprawl in every direction (except east, but if they could figure out a way to drain and annex Lake Arlington, the city councils would rent bulldozers tomorrow).  There's a lot of genies that can't be put back in bottles and no easy magic-wand solution to any of this. 

#24 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:02 PM

I mean, you can count on one hand how many new office buildings have been built in inner-city Fort Worth in the last decade so there's obviously not a lot of demand. 

#25 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:23 PM

I'm stating the obvious here, but the speculative office market is pretty much dead across DFW right now, mainly all build-to-suit.  I thought Presidio did a great job outlining the topic above too.

The one exception that comes to mind is the Van Zandt....by the way, what's the status on that project? 

https://www.fortwort...c=7179&p=137215

#26 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:40 PM

I mean, you can count on one hand how many new office buildings have been built in inner-city Fort Worth in the last decade so there's obviously not a lot of demand. 

Definitely not much demand.  That is the question all of us on here ask all the time.  What is keeping companies away from FW? 

Is it our School District? (I believe that is a big reason tbh).   Is it that it takes so long for permits to be approved and our building standards are too strict?  Is it because our city politics is an oligarchy not a democracy?  Is it because we have terrible public transportation?  Is it because we have too much competition from other cities in our Metro Area?  or Is it just because our city is just not desirable?   I think there are too many factors in it to pinpoint it on one area but the fact is that maybe we just have to come to the conclusion that we will never have the skyline or the urban dynamism that everyone on here thinks we should have.  It could be just that simple although the true answer may be much more complex than anyone of us can conclude.

#27 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 05:43 PM

Definitely not much demand.  That is the question all of us on here ask all the time.  What is keeping companies away from FW? 

Is it our School District? (I believe that is a big reason tbh).   Is it that it takes so long for permits to be approved and our building standards are too strict?  Is it because our city politics is an oligarchy not a democracy?  Is it because we have terrible public transportation?  Is it because we have too much competition from other cities in our Metro Area?  or Is it just because our city is just not desirable?   I think there are too many factors in it to pinpoint it on one area but the fact is that maybe we just have to come to the conclusion that we will never have the skyline or the urban dynamism that everyone on here thinks we should have.  It could be just that simple although the true answer may be much more complex than anyone of us can conclude.

My take: 1) actual depth of specific talent desired and 2) perception of the depth of that specific talent desired.

Actual depth of talent: 

Most super-ambitious companies (software development, private equity, biotech) want access to the top 1-3% of the talent pool for specific roles so will only go to where they know those people are in greatest #s.  They can find data on the availability of these people (where they currently live).

Perception of talent: 

Most companies don't do studies to determine where opening offices. They rely on their instinct and places' reputations.  This is why a city's reputation is so important.  Specifically that its a place where smart people of all types WANT to live.  CEOs/Human Resources Officers think: "Is this the kind of city where i think we can recruit people to move to?  Does this city appeal to smart, talented, highly educated population?"  Notice how cities that are purple and have both left and right wing populations seem to be doing best at this.  Major cornerstone institutions can help too:  universities, major companies.

Fort Worth does have companies and talented people moving here, including individuals who are parts of "distributed" workforces (i.e. they're remote) however you're right in that we havent been as successful at having larger companies and HQs shift here. 

One thing that has puzzled me: in some other cities (Austin, for example) the local press seems to announce and celebrate even small branch outposts of companies moving (even without offices).  Branch/satellite offices don't seem to get covered by the press in FW, which I think affects the public impression of this. 

I'm unaware of height limits having killed any developments yet, however could see how a mixed use project might work better at 12-16 floors vs 10 and has to seek variances.  

#28 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:49 PM

My take: 1) actual depth of specific talent desired and 2) perception of the depth of that specific talent desired.

Actual depth of talent: 

Most super-ambitious companies (software development, private equity, biotech) want access to the top 1-3% of the talent pool for specific roles so will only go to where they know those people are in greatest #s.  They can find data on the availability of these people (where they currently live).

Perception of talent: 

Most companies don't do studies to determine where opening offices. They rely on their instinct and places' reputations.  This is why a city's reputation is so important.  Specifically that its a place where smart people of all types WANT to live.  CEOs/Human Resources Officers think: "Is this the kind of city where i think we can recruit people to move to?  Does this city appeal to smart, talented, highly educated population?"  Notice how cities that are purple and have both left and right wing populations seem to be doing best at this.  Major cornerstone institutions can help too:  universities, major companies.

Fort Worth does have companies and talented people moving here, including individuals who are parts of "distributed" workforces (i.e. they're remote) however you're right in that we havent been as successful at having larger companies and HQs shift here. 

One thing that has puzzled me: in some other cities (Austin, for example) the local press seems to announce and celebrate even small branch outposts of companies moving (even without offices).  Branch/satellite offices don't seem to get covered by the press in FW, which I think affects the public impression of this. 

I'm unaware of height limits having killed any developments yet, however could see how a mixed use project might work better at 12-16 floors vs 10 and has to seek variances.  

Height limits have nothing to do with anything. This town has just been a "skyline desert" for like 3 decades, now. 

Everything you said makes more sense than just the assumptions that this city is undesirable or something. ESPN sure hasn't felt that way since 2011. 

We at least have a mayor now who, per one of her goals, wants Ft. Worth to keep more young talent as well as bring in new companies. That's been something missing from our city council as a whole for a while, now. 

7fwPZnE.png

#29 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:52 PM

Let's hope the changing off the guard actually translates into some change... I hope so but have this nagging feeling that it is just going to be more of them same

#30 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:55 PM

Let's hope the changing off the guard actually translates into some change... I hope so but have this nagging feeling that it is just going to be more of them same

. . . I actually don't, this time. 

7fwPZnE.png

#31 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 11:33 AM

I caught part of this interview with Dale Petroskey, President & CEO, Dallas Regional Chamber the other day.  He highlighted several of the build-to-suit corporate relocations happening in Dallas County and talked a lot about how the diversity of the talent pool is drawing a lot of companies to the region as well as the overall business climate here in Texas.  I think he compared Houston's talent pool highlighted mainly in Oil and Gas sectors vs the variety of talent found across North Texas.  He made reference to what he calls the "Texas Two Step" where bigger companies come into Texas and set-up either a regional hub or perhaps a manufacturing plant to get a feel for what it's like doing business here and then find they really like it and move the whole headquarters here.  There was some mention as Fort Worth Alliance as a contender, I didn't get through the whole interview to see if Downtown was mentioned though.  He did mentioned access to nearby executive airports being a factor to the region, something I hadn't really thought of until he said it.

https://www.audacy.c...umes-1466050675

#32 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 24 June 2022 - 07:06 AM

Since 2010, I believe only two office towers have been constructed downtown--The Cassidy (2014) and Frost Tower (2018).  I think we all know that, regarding market demand for Class A office buildings, Fort Worth has long been disadvantaged by being in the shadow of Dallas.  Unless a large corporation located elsewhere has an executive who used to live in Fort Worth and loved our city, it's likely to consider the DFW metroplex as one big market area and make its choice of re-location on that basis.  Recently, for example, Caterpillar chose its Irving location to re-locate its global headquarters.  Toyota did the same a few years ago, to Plano.  It's a national public perception of our North Texas region that's not going to go away anytime soon, unfortunately for Fort Worth.

I, too, do not like the recent over-emphasis on residential construction in downtown.  But my preference for a Deco 969 tower over that sprawling 6-story Burnett Lofts is well-known in this forum.

#33 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 06:01 AM

The one exception that comes to mind is the Van Zandt....by the way, what's the status on that project? 

I haven't seen any activity on the Van Zandt site since they cleared it in November 2021.  :unsure:

#34 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:37 AM

I haven't seen any activity on the Van Zandt site since they cleared it in November 2021.  :unsure:

I'm wondering if they are waiting for 7th Street to be complete 

#35 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 02:42 PM

Actual depth of talent: 

Perception of talent: 

It seems that #1 we have to grow the # of people with bachelors and advanced degrees in FW.  Think most of us who follow economic development topics understood that.  Can do by growing the # of graduates in Fort Worth (via TCU, TWU, TAMU, Tarleton FW) and by importing, which i think we've been doing.

And if we succeed in doing #1 (growing # of college educated people), that #2 (the perception) is eventually likely to follow - provided we promote that fact. 

Making our city attractive to talented people seems like the fun part, because, Im think is very similar to improving our city in ways that make us enjoy life here too.  Off top of my head, that is:  awesome parks and trails for walking and cycling**, focus on making key places like Downtown, Nearsouthside super walkable so they compete favorably with similar urban places in other cities that compete, esp for younger people and those we're recruiting from large cities who dont want to sacrifice having access to (or living in) walkable urban neighborhoods.

The list could go on toward perfection but people make decisions based on first impressions they get when visiting a place for a weekend.  They dont see the entire city.  This just means focusing on making some places excellent, but not neglecting others.  If we spread too thin, we will have zero excellent places, which I think are key to this attracting talent.

**think an example worth considering is: could we make Fort Worth a top-5 US city for cyclists?  At least top 10 within 7-10 years?  Would come as a surprise to people from other cities and the kind of recognition that helps us stand out - even to those like me who very rarely ride but view it as a signal that a city is a great place to live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users