1503 replies to this topic

#51 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

The location in the building has to be part of the problem.  You can't see it from 7th and it's not highly visible from Carroll, so someone just driving by isn't likely to stop in without passing up one of the other restaurants in the building.  A location like that can kill something that's not really distinctive enough to be a draw.  I went to one of the BBQ places in that spot a few times and it was really good, but it was almost empty on each visit.

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

JBB, I'm almost certain that the location the building has to be part of the problem.  It's at the end of the row on the main drive through the building, and I'm pretty sure most people don't have the patience to be looking for a restaurant by the time they get to the end of the building.  Here's another thing relating to visibility, I don't think I have ever seen any signage on Carroll Street or W. 7th that indicated those restaurants were there.  However, they all had such short lives, I could have easily missed the signs.

#53 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

Bud Kennedy wrote a column about why 9 restaurants in that spot have closed. The location, and also poor food and service. https://www.star-tel...e234951777.html

#54 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

The location in the building has to be part of the problem.  You can't see it from 7th and it's not highly visible from Carroll, so someone just driving by isn't likely to stop in without passing up one of the other restaurants in the building.  A location like that can kill something that's not really distinctive enough to be a draw.  I went to one of the BBQ places in that spot a few times and it was really good, but it was almost empty on each visit.

I don’t believe visibility is the issue. If so Gloria’s, Boomerjacks and Sushi Axiom would have the same issues. Nowadays most people use Yelp or other similar apps to look for restaurants. There is something more basic in my opinion. In every restaurant that has been in that space and that I’ve tried since it was Bite City in 2015 it has been the food. King Crab taphouse had no clue what it was trying to be. Honey Smoke Pit and Barrel and Bones both did below average BBQ and Bourbon Street Oyster Bar was mediocre as well. Also, I’m not sure why they tinted the windows on the space that Barrel and Bones was in. That was a bad idea. You couldn’t see inside and when you have a restaurant you want people walking or driving by to see people inside eating or that it is a restaurant. The other restaurants didn’t do that so I’m perplexed why they chose to do so.

Put in a Twisted Root Burger or and it would do fine.

#55 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:27 PM

Dairy Queen @ Dickies Arena closes.

Yeah, I am going to miss DQ, especially when I am craving a DQ Blizzard.  It would be great to have one as apart of any new project nearby; DQ is a widely recognized chain that would be readily patronized by the farm and ranch, rodeo crowds that will meeting and participating in WRMC complex.  I think it is actually the ideal fit for WRMC, much more so than the bars and grills in W7.

#56 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:31 PM

This has been pointed out in Bud Kennedy's Social Media accounts, but I thought I would repeat it here.  If you need a DQ fix, there are a few others that are open.  One of the early design DQ stores is at Northside Dr. & Circle Park Blvd.  A "new" store that has been here a little while is at 6417 McCart (just north of Altamesa).  A DQ that has only been open a few weeks is at 6445 Westworth Blvd.  My office is at the end of Camp Bowie Blvd. and I have eaten at the new DQ in Westworth Village a couple of times.  The restaurant was new, clean, and the food was good.

#57 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

I've seen it asked earlier, after the wollop of nearly 3yrs of construction and now appreciating land values etc, I wonder if the days are numbered for Jazz Cafe or Montgomery Cafe as well?

#58 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

Unfortunately, they probably think that starting the location with "Dallas" will attract more guests. Their location in Arlington starts with "Dallas" as well.

Here is an all too familiar story from the nationally recognized Forbes Magazine's Food column.  It is a yummy story about a tasty California-based hamburger franchise that is to be launched in North Richland Hills (aka in North Texas; to then in the mythical city of Dallas Fort Worth; and eventually just "Dallas" sans Fort Worth.

First Forbes Magazine runs its story - https://www.forbes.c...n/#628e91726a20

And on cue, Dallas Culture Blog does its job on us yet again - http://dallas.cultur...r-chain-dallas/

Where is our Amon Carter?

#59 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:31 PM

Enchiladas Olé is moving from 901 N. Sylvania Ave. to the old Revolver Taco/Será/Sapristi/City Park Café at 2418 Forest Park Blvd.  It will be interesting to see if this popular and very good restaurant will make it at a somewhat cursed space.  Not that I mind driving over to Sylvania Ave., but at least it will be very close to home.  They plan to open by the start of 2020 after making some repairs.  If you have access, here is a link to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram article by Bud Kennedy.

https://www.star-tel...V1b-2slyDx3_Hts

#60 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:49 PM

I have mixed feelings about that.

It would make sense if they were opening a second location.  I feel like they are tied to the Race Street/Sylvania area and that's part of what they are.  Moving from that arguably humble area to to a more affluent area might result in a mismatch.  Then again, maybe not. 

It will be good having them closer though.

My blog: Doohickie

#61 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

My thoughts exactly.  They're going to have to tap into a different audience in the new location.  I wouldn't call their cuisine typical Tex Mex and it wasn't exactly kid friendly on my visit with my kid.  I'm really glad to have them close to work. 

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:48 PM

I have mixed feelings about that.....I feel like they are tied to the Race Street/Sylvania area and that's part of what they are. ..

Is there A Race Street/Six Points Business Alliance or something like that?  An association would be the sort of thing that keeps or recruits established and new businesses to the area.

I agree with the idea that this will be a lost for an emerging entertainment and food district that is attempting to get its momentum going.

#63 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:24 AM

Terra Mediterranean, which had been open on West Seventh development just shy of ten years, has closed. http://fortworth.cul...nth-st-closure/

#64 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

For those who will miss Terra, I'd recommend giving Qana a try over at 7860 Chapin Rd, Fort Worth, TX 76116.

a classic "hole in the wall, " my wife and I find their Lebanese food delicious.

The review/opinions of others seem to agree as well

https://www.yelp.com...okah-fort-worth

https://www.fwweekly.../29/qana-do-it/

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will check it out.

#66 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:37 AM

For those who will miss Terra, I'd recommend giving Qana a try over at 7860 Chapin Rd, Fort Worth, TX 76116....a classic "hole in the wall, " my wife and I find their Lebanese food delicious.

Corporate restaurants are important, but locally owned and based dining is what is good for a city in the long run.  I think it is essential to keeping food diversity and variety that we patronize places like Benito's, Qana, Heims, etc.

#67 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

It will be a La Zona. ST has a small blurb on it here.

Thanks for the link Austin.

I'm super excited. I'm hoping they get it right. Spanish Tapas isn't the easiest thing to pull off, especially in an area that seems void of them.

La Zona closed.

Not surprised. Hard to pull off a restaurant with outside seating as the only option. Especially on bad weather days. Food was also mediocre.

For the archives.

#68 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:57 PM

La Piazza has closed after 29 years. https://fwtx.com/eat...ing-this-month/

#69 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:50 PM

I've seen reports in the last week or so that Toro and Wicked Butcher, highly touted and very recent downtown restaurant addtions, have both already had changes in chefs.  That's rarely a good sign.

#70 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:53 PM

I Fratelli pizza is opening another location at Bryant Irvin and 20, next to Mimi's. https://www.ifratell...th-coming-soon/

#71 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:35 PM

This is a small neighborhood location so possibly not worth the mention, but La Casa de Lina opened a week ago at 5216 Wedgmont Cir N, Fort Worth, in the first block in from Granbury, across from Wedgewood Village.  If you like taco truck  fare but don't like waiting in the cold and driving home to eat, this is your place.  They have Mexican-style tacos, everything very home-made and high quality, yet not very expensive (three-taco plate that I barely finished for $7.45).  Good Mexican desserts too.

#72 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

This is a small neighborhood location so possibly not worth the mention, but La Casa de Lina opened a week ago at 5216 Wedgmont Cir N, Fort Worth, in the first block in from Granbury, across from Wedgewood Village.  If you like taco truck  fare but don't like waiting in the cold and driving home to eat, this is your place.  They have Mexican-style tacos, everything very home-made and high quality, yet not very expensive (three-taco plate that I barely finished for $7.45).  Good Mexican desserts too.

awesome to hear.

Our weekend plan was to hit them up for breakfast on sunday, but the toddler threw a monkey-wrench in our morning. Perhaps next week, but it's excited to read.

#73 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 January 2020 - 07:09 PM

I didnt realize Salsa Limon was opening up in the Elan at Crockett Row. SW corner. That is good news for that space

#74 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:50 PM

After their building was moved, there was some talk about them reopening in the new development.  At some point later in time, it was officially announced they would be going inside the Elan at Crockett Row.

#75 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:15 AM

Greenwood's German Restaurant on Bluebonnet Circle is closing January 11th.  They're retiring.

#76 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

Atico - a new restaurant by Tim Love

Fort Worth Business Press - http://www.fortworth...864a8e4e8f.html

#77 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:49 PM

Shake Shack

Fort Worth Business Press - http://www.fortworth...449e85adcb.html

Point of order - "No hometown brews...not a great look!"

#78 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

I will try the place.  When it comes to restaurants, I will at least eat at one for a try.  However, I usually find myself going back to my usual haunts on Magnolia.  I was hoping to get out to eat this weekend, but I have an unexpected and unreasonable deadline, so I will be spending my entire weekend at the office. 

One of our regular clients called me a little after 8 yesterday and dropped a deadline for an entire project, which was just started, for Tuesday.  I'm doing about a month's worth of work in 6 days.  I worked 11 hours yesterday.  (Sorry for the complaining.)

#79 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

Shake Shack

Fort Worth Business Press - http://www.fortworth...449e85adcb.html

Point of order - "No hometown brews...not a great look!"

I hope that changes real soon. Dont get me wrong, I like beers from all those breweries and have visited them all, but no true locals being served 😒.

#80 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:45 PM

Bar Louie opens its first Texas location tomorrow (December 15th). It is going in the old Delaney's space on the southeast corner of West 7th and Norwood.

Yeh they declared bankruptcy.

https://www.google.c...losing-38-units

A good place to track restaurants.

#81 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

Heim BBQ has announced they are opening a location in the giant city to the East.

#82 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

Interesting location choice given that it's not in the middle of one of the hip restaurant areas like McKinney Ave., Riverfront, or Deep Ellum.  Also an interesting re-use of an existing building.

#83 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:33 PM

As local food eateries go, I feel that expansion in this form has lots of pitfalls.  One of the most important aspect of a restaurant is the hands on supervision of food and service.  I think in the long run, both the quality of food and service tends to suffer.

#84 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

It depends on your management.  If you've done an adequate job of training your own management, you can expand the franchise.  I know that when  Buffalo Bros. opened their Sundance location, the manager from the TCU location was moved to Sundance.  So far it's been successful.

#85 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

I think it also has to a lot to do with the size and speed of expansion.  2 or 3 locations in 5 years is a lot more reasonable to manage than say 10 or more in the same time.

#86 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:32 PM

It depends on your management.  If you've done an adequate job of training your own management, you can expand the franchise.  I know that when  Buffalo Bros. opened their Sundance location, the manager from the TCU location was moved to Sundance.  So far it's been successful.

I think it also has to a lot to do with the size and speed of expansion.  2 or 3 locations in 5 years is a lot more reasonable to manage than say 10 or more in the same time.

Are managers the equivalent to the owner? Its tricky.

I'm thinking that being a cross town in FW is quite different from being in a city that is 30 miles away or farther if you are lucky less than 90 mins travel time with traffic and such.  If you have situations that are occurring simultaneously, it will be impossible to respond instantly which is something that is critical to customer satisfaction.

#87 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

I'm not too worried about. Travis & Emma. They'll be fine.

#88 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

So I tried a new concept restaurant recently called The Meat Board which is on Camp Bowie in Ridglea next to Jersey Mikes.  It is a pretty cool place to try out quality meat sandwiches.  Just thought I would throw it out there.

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

I thought it was a butcher shop.  It is near my office, so I will have to try it.  I'm a carnivore.

#90 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:15 AM

If you haven't been able to scratch your chicken fried steak itch since Massey's closed, try the new restaurant behind Giovanni's on Crowley Road.  it's called Grand Cafe.  They don't have a big menu; it's basically chicken fried and burgers.  To get to the restaurant, pull into Dollar General parking lot just south of I-20 on the east side of Crowley Road, the restaurant is to the right of Dollar General and behind Giovanni's.

I had the chicken fried steak Saturday and it might just be the best I ever had.  The meat was tender, the coating was well seasoned and the cream gravy was perfect.  The mashed potatoes are homemade right there.  the corn was.... kind of cafeteria style, nothing special there, but the rest was fantastic.

#91 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:32 PM

Roy Pope Grocery announced that they are going out of business.

#92 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 07:03 PM

I hope the entries to this thread are kept at a very minimum in the near future. Per The Star-Telegram article, Roy Pope closing is unrelated to COVID-19.

#93 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:02 PM

A little bit of a bizarre restaurant relocation:

https://www.star-tel...e242057091.html

Only ate there once.  It was good, but not inspiring enough to bring me back.  The food at Drew's around the corner is better and usually cheaper.

#94 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:27 PM

Only ate there once.  It was good, but not inspiring enough to bring me back.  The food at Drew's around the corner is better and usually cheaper.

For the record, the restaurant in question is Buttons

#95 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 01:52 PM

Sorry.  I forgot about the paywall.  Thanks for clarifying that.

#96 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:31 PM

#97 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

Really weird considering Buttons had a location in the North Dallas area (Addison) that closed years ago.

And youre right, Drews is so much better. However, for exceptional southern/soul food, checkout Nanas Kitchen in East Fort Worth. Ive been a regular for a while, and I had them cater a group lunch for work . Since then, several of us in my Las Colinas office take turns driving over to FW and picking up lunch there. And a coworker and his wife actually drive over from Dallas at least twice a month to eat there!

#98 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:12 PM

Saw that Cork and Pig closed. Too bad, it was a good place. Its going to be a sad few months probably with a bunch of closings. On the flip side, Bud Kennedy reports a Gaucho style all you can eat pizza place is opening where Bravo was on Hulen. Like a Brazilian steakhouse but with pizza. Very intriguing, especially since I moved to that area recently and this is 2 minutes from my house.

#99 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:28 PM

My wife has been to the one in Southlake a few times. She said it is really good even if it is on the pricey end for pizza.

#100 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

Saw that Cork and Pig closed. Too bad, it was a good place. Its going to be a sad few months probably with a bunch of closings. On the flip side, Bud Kennedy reports a Gaucho style all you can eat pizza place is opening where Bravo was on Hulen. Like a Brazilian steakhouse but with pizza. Very intriguing, especially since I moved to that area recently and this is 2 minutes from my house.

I went to the Cork and Pig once.  It wasn't particularly crowded, but to have a conversation we had to raise our voices to full outdoor voice mode.  Once was enough.  I know acoustic ceilings aren't very hip but they are called acoustic for a reason.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users