325 replies to this topic

#301 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 10:12 AM

Dallas City Council is pushing back against the D-FW line: https://www.wfaa.com...-to-fort-worth/

Link not good.  What was the council's reason?

https://www.wfaa.com...f1-4c516dbf43a7

#302 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 11:06 AM

Dallas City Council is pushing back against the D-FW line: https://www.wfaa.com...-to-fort-worth/

No way . . .

c446c8aae3ef0dc329074b8575c38ed0.gif

• TLA likes this

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#303 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 13 June 2024 - 01:22 PM

I mean, it does make sense -- this is a huge way-above-ground thing piercing through an area of their downtown that they really want to see developed, and that prominent developers already have plans for.

I think the economic impact study might just be a stall tactic to take the place of: "we think this would be an ugly stain on a very visible part of our downtown and it is not even for us!" thought process; "...but maybe if it really really helped us get the Houston part done or by some miracle it meant a lot of people who spend money will come from the west and instead of going to Houston will hang out in Dallas, we might do it."

And of course if it is really economic, burying it and putting in the elevators is just going to cost much more.

#304 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:07 PM

Mayor Parker's response, https://x.com/mayorm...321685800362355

#305 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 04:27 PM

Seeing some of this on twitter, right now... 

hWboDbV.png

7fwPZnE.png

#306 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 14 June 2024 - 07:31 AM

I applaud the mayor for insisting that Fort Worth be a part of the high-speed rail system planned for Texas.  Reminds me of the persistence of the late Congressman Jim Wright in seeing to it that our city be teamed with Dallas in the development of an international airport.  But, just as the airport has been dubbed by the public as "Dallas," the HSR system will probably be branded "Dallas to Houston," with no mention of our city.

#307 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 07:47 AM

This type of dispute is why this or any other high speed rail project will never happen.  We will never get out of our own way.  Why dedicate significant energy and resources?

#308 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 14 June 2024 - 11:33 AM

It seems to me like the Dallas <-> Houston part is more and more likely to happen.

The problem is that the extension to Arlington and Fort Worth tramples over prominent property in downtown Dallas that developers have been planning on using for a long time.

I get the idea that people want everyone to be thinking about this regionally, but it is kind of like someone building another house in my backyard and they want to walk through my front door and my living room and go out my back door to get to their place.  It seems completely reasonable to me that Dallas would be hesitant to make that kind of sacrifice of their downtown for the region.

Perhaps if there could have been some alternate alignment that did not take up so much of their downtown, regional thinking would be easier for them.

Maybe the economic study will uncover something that outweighs the costs for them, but it seems like the only way that is going to happen is if Arlington / Fort Worth pour in an outsized amount of dollars.

#309 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 08:04 PM

I don't have a good link to a story, but their statement was:

“At this time, except for streetcar expansion projects currently under consideration, City Council does not support construction of any above ground rail lines through the Downtown, Uptown, and Victory Park areas of Dallas,” the memorandum filed by Atkins says. “[The] City Council commits to revisit the Dallas to Fort Worth high-speed rail discussion after it receives the economic impact study.”

Fine, then run it through Fort Worth and leave Dallas out of it.

I bet if they started planning for a Fort Worth only route, Dallas would jump right in.

My blog: Doohickie

#310 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 11:22 AM

Fort Worth to Houston High Speed Rail?

https://fortworthrep...ton-fort-worth/

#311 FortWorthian

FortWorthian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 11:54 AM

Is the plan to dump people outside of Houston and they take a bus downtown?  I'd hope it at least connects with their lightrail to the Med Center / Zoo / Downtown / Convention Center etc.

#312 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 12:26 PM

Seeing some of this on twitter, right now... 

hWboDbV.png

Third HSR system in the US, at best, if at all...

Brightline West (private concern) is working on infrastructure preliminaries now on the mid-median ROW route down I-15 from Rancho Cucamonga (LA Valley, west of Downtown on the Metro Line) to the southern edge of the Strip in Las Vegas.

The CHSRA recently got the EIS approval for tunnels through the mountains between Palmdale and Burbank, and has ordered rolling stock.

Texas is way behind what is happening out west.

#313 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 09:14 PM

Is the plan to dump people outside of Houston and they take a bus downtown?  I'd hope it at least connects with their lightrail to the Med Center / Zoo / Downtown / Convention Center etc.

Houston has no real central train or transit station... at all. 

So yeah, that's basically what they would have to do, until the day it expands to New Orleans, or something. 

7fwPZnE.png

#314 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 10 July 2024 - 06:11 AM

I looked and yeah, there's a tiny Amtrak depot on the edge of downtown that's a two block walk from the 85 bus line.  Yikes.

My blog: Doohickie

#315 FortWorthian

FortWorthian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 July 2024 - 08:04 AM

So yeah, that's basically what they would have to do, until the day it expands to New Orleans, or something. 

HOUSTON STATION LOCATION
The Texas High-Speed Train’s Houston passenger station will be located at the Northwest Mall site near the interchange of US 290 and Interstate 610 in northwest Houston.

The terminal will be ideally located in a high-growth area, with easy access to employment centers, including the Galleria, the Energy Corridor, the Medical Center and downtown. The station not only will be a catalyst for economic growth but it also will offer a convenient, efficient and direct network for passengers to and from local transit systems.

5000p_EXT-HOUSTON-HSR-2048x1106.png

#316 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2024 - 07:29 PM

Being from Houston, this would be ideal for me, a direct line from Fort Worth to Houston. Whenever I go visit my parents and friends, it would be incredibly easy. I highly doubt they pull this off without Dallas being involved though.

#317 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 10 July 2024 - 09:06 PM

HOUSTON STATION LOCATION
The Texas High-Speed Train’s Houston passenger station will be located at the Northwest Mall site near the interchange of US 290 and Interstate 610 in northwest Houston.

The terminal will be ideally located in a high-growth area, with easy access to employment centers, including the Galleria, the Energy Corridor, the Medical Center and downtown. The station not only will be a catalyst for economic growth but it also will offer a convenient, efficient and direct network for passengers to and from local transit systems.

I know all that. 

I'm just saying, there's no real center hub station now

7fwPZnE.png

#318 FortWorthian

FortWorthian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 July 2024 - 11:07 PM

HOUSTON STATION LOCATION

I know all that. 

I'm just saying, there's no real center hub station now

OK, that makes sense....and sorry about the red text, I'm always reminding myself of these project details, I tend to block some of them out until they come up again.  

Why not build the HSR station in those big open lots by the Marriott Marquis Hotel.  The lightrail goes right to it, plus there's convention center and MMP right there too.

RI7nqMh.png

#319 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 05:59 AM

MMP is the reason those lots likely will stay. Huge money makers during baseball games.

#320 FortWorthian

FortWorthian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 10:10 AM

MMP is the reason those lots likely will stay. Huge money makers during baseball games.

We stayed right there a few months ago and took the lightrail Metro to the zoo park / Children's Museum area.  It wasn't too bad, a fun little visit and was nice to have both of those lightrail lines as options, sometimes we'd walk to Main St central station and there's a Shake Shack right there which was good.  Driving and parking was a lot quicker but both were good options for us.  I wondered around Discovery Green late into the evening one time, it was a little sketchy but not too bad considering it was after dark.  I just didn't want to stay in one spot for any amount of time, did a quick loop and back into the hotel. 

The United States Custom House has a real quiet presence about it.  Houston MEPS is in there, I kept noticing government vehicles pulling up taking people away figured those were enlisted recruits heading off.

#321 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 10:16 AM

I love discovery green. When I was a kid, the east side of downtown Houston was nothing but parking lots and the convention center. Then they built MMP in 2000, Toyota Center in 2003, expanded the convention center and built the park. Now you see dozens of new skyscrapers, residential and office space. Not to mention the hotels like the Hilton and the Marriott Marquis. It really is night and day difference.

#322 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 10:38 AM

Being from Houston, this would be ideal for me, a direct line from Fort Worth to Houston. Whenever I go visit my parents and friends, it would be incredibly easy. I highly doubt they pull this off without Dallas being involved though.

I think there is some confusion on the part of some of the news reports I have seen about skipping Dallas. The redevelopment in the Cedars (south of downtown Dallas) is a major part of the Dallas to Houston route. As I understand, the threat is to bypass DOWNTOWN Dallas, not all of Dallas. I think the Hunt interests are very short-sighted in their opposition to having aerial HSR in downtown. They should embrace it and develop their properties to complement the line. That would be a world class thing to do.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#323 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 11:16 AM

That makes more sense

#324 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 08:04 PM

Also, I should have mentioned in my earlier post about the development of the East side of downtown Houston that I see a lot of similarities with whats happening here in Fort Worth now. A sea of parking lots, the A&M campus under construction, convention center expansion, and potentially even this high speed rail one day. Maybe not quite the effect of two professional sports venues but nonetheless, I bet the east side of downtown looks very different in a few years.

#325 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 09:07 PM

Should North Texas high-speed rail line include Arlington? Leaders debate projects future
https://fortworthrep...hs-rail-update/

#326 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 10:03 AM

Should North Texas high-speed rail line include Arlington? Leaders debate projects future
https://fortworthrep...hs-rail-update/

Yes!  The station should be right by AT&T, Global Life, and Six Flags.  Of course Jerry probably wouldn't be in favor since he couldn't sell parking at $75/each.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users