37 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

Total currently owns a majority of this area and is retaining 13 acres for operations on the 3 gas pads that are still there. 

https://www.loopnet....th-TX/18803077/

There's obviously some very interesting development potential. In addition, Fort Capital's industrial branch owns the big warehouse South of 4th so I could see some potential to lump that in somehow as well. 

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:32 PM

Total currently owns a majority of this area and is retaining 13 acres for operations on the 3 gas pads that are still there. 

https://www.loopnet....th-TX/18803077/

There's obviously some very interesting development potential. In addition, Fort Capital's industrial branch owns the big warehouse South of 4th so I could see some potential to lump that in somehow as well. 

I know I keep going back to this, but this would make the idea of a streetcar from downtown to R.A.D. even more wishful with a route along 4th and that already existing TopGolf...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

For someone with some long term vision, and deep pockets perhaps, this could be interesting. I have always wondered what would happen if the area between 35 and the river would ever develop out similar to what the similar stretch in Dallas Did along Irving Blvd or whatever its called now. Was pretty heavy industrial but with the Bridges as well as all thats gone on in the Design District, it is starting to really boom. Wonder what the "ask" is on it. 

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

Would you really want to unload deep pockets on a long term vision sandwiched in between gas well pads? I can think of more enticing sites.

#5 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

Would you really want to unload deep pockets on a long term vision sandwiched in between gas well pads? I can think of more enticing sites.

I get your point, however, that's what everyone told Trammell Crow and John Stemmons when they built their first spec warehouse on the banks of the trinity across from Downtown. HE did pretty well for himself as he built out that area which became the foundation of what the company is today. There isn't much to be had in the CBD anymore so you have to take a chance on somewhere, "Panther island", who knows when that debacle will ever get back on track and finish, 7th street is already so overbuilt people are starting to not go there, that's comments from the younger folks who work for me, University and 199, risky area ... point being all areas have issues. Its about vision and opportunity. 

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:00 PM

.....I have always wondered what would happen if the area between 35 and the river would ever develop out similar to what the similar stretch in Dallas Did along Irving Blvd or whatever its called now. Was pretty heavy industrial but with the Bridges as well as all thats gone on in the Design District, it is starting to really boom. Wonder what the "ask" is on it. 

Trammel Crow did quite well for himself, but is that what is better for following generations who will pay the bill of the boomtown model.  Note the stark difference between how Trinity River looks in Fort Worth and how it looks in Dallas. 

Actually, I would prefer that think that leaving the land in its current state is better for flood control. I also believe that Fort Worth is the largest city in the state that is looking at purchasing urban land as a way to foster better rainwater management.

When you are in a hole where you can not get out, the best thing to do is to stop digging.

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:05 AM

I get your point, however, that's what everyone told Trammell Crow and John Stemmons when they built their first spec warehouse on the banks of the trinity across from Downtown. HE did pretty well for himself as he built out that area which became the foundation of what the company is today. There isn't much to be had in the CBD anymore so you have to take a chance on somewhere, "Panther island", who knows when that debacle will ever get back on track and finish, 7th street is already so overbuilt people are starting to not go there, that's comments from the younger folks who work for me, University and 199, risky area ... point being all areas have issues. Its about vision and opportunity. 

I'm thinking public safety. I wouldn't want to live or work right there. Trammel Crow wasn't fitting his buildings in between gas wells that will not be maintained after they are past their economically productive life. Folks it's too late for this... many landowners in Fort Worth sold the soul of their land about 10 years ago. It's gone. Best thing is to put green space around it and hope it doesn't kill anyone. Hey, on the bright side, green space is not a bad thing in a city.

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

Randomly scrolling through old threads and this one brought back an idea for Alamo Drafthouse spots.

a6N4Lky.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:57 PM

It seems that Stonehawk Capital, who have done a lot of the residential developments near downtown (The Bowery, The Jameson, The Huntley), plan a 270 unit building on this site according to DFWI's latest development map

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:46 PM

That Riverside/Sylvania area seems to be on the verge of a Near Southside-like explosion in development.  If it's not there already...

#11 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:46 PM

That Riverside/Sylvania area seems to be on the verge of a Near Southside-like explosion in development.  If it's not there already...

Oh it's got all of the new housing/condos/apartments and parkland you could ever want. You just have to drive elsewhere for amenities...

#12 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:21 AM

Oh it's got all of the new housing/condos/apartments and parkland you could ever want. You just have to drive elsewhere for amenities...

Yeah Fort Worth doesn't seem to have the retail side down with these developments and with Covid it makes it even more of a challenge.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:11 AM

This is going before zoning next week

338 units.

sF5gWJm.png

#14 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:39 AM

Any ideas about the "historical marker" and monument sign in the far southwest corner? Pretty sure there is nothing there now.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:45 AM

I def went and checked out streetview when I saw that. No idea. Wonder what it might be?

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:08 AM

I feel like I remember seeing one in that general area in the past.  I wonder if it was relocated during freeway construction and this project will bring it back.  Wasn't that area a predominantly African-American neighborhood at one time?  There's some remnants of it directly across 4th St. from the Purina property on the west side of 35.

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:58 AM

I don't know the specifics on the historical marker, but the neighborhood was predominantly African-American.  There are some remnants of it on the west side of I-35W on the south side of E. 4th St.  The historical marker may be for the Prince Hall Masonic Mosque which was located where the gas drilling site is now located, just to the north of this development.  I know that several leaders in that community were looking at placing a historical marker for the entire neighborhood, so it could be a new marker that's going to be placed there.  I'm really not sure.

#18 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:17 PM

I didn't see a marker on a quick drive by so think either it was removed during construction in the area or not ever one actually installed. I would agree it is probably for a marker for the general area. Looking through the Historical Marker index I don't find anything in the area. As John mentioned this was one of the early major African American areas of Ft Worth and stretched at the time across what is now I35 and into Downtown proper along 1st all the way down to what is now riverside Drive. There was the Prince Hall Masonic Mosque, this was their second building and was a major Hub of Activity for the community. Later an Industrial School was added. Sadly it was sold and torn down in the Mid eighty's. This area also was the home to the original Greenway Park, one of the only city parks for African American's and later the first to open to both whites and African Americans, although early on at different times and days. It was also home to early motels and housing for traveling African Americans and the closest to Downtown Ft. Worth, This was a thriving neighborhood with many stores, small shops and nicer homes for the time. An important figure at the time was William Madison "Gooseneck Bill" McDonald, known as Ft Worth's first millionaire African American. Researching him provides more info on the area.  

#19 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:14 PM

KERA did a piece on "Gooseneck Bill" not too long ago.  For a period of time, he was one of only few places African-American businessmen could get a loan.  I also recall KERA Television did a local segment and a S-T article more recently.

https://www.keranews...onaire-in-texas

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:33 PM

The change was approved. The 2nd, "L" shaped building was dropped from the plans hwoever.

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:53 PM

The land on the South side of 4th has a new sale listing

https://www.cbredeal...OfUw88cXraVQr5M

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 10:40 AM

Site clearing has begun here.

#23 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:07 PM

Jeriat, that's a good area. I think Stockyards would be a good location for an Alamo. It would be themed with a western vibe! If I only had $20M.

Randomly scrolling through old threads and this one brought back an idea for Alamo Drafthouse spots.

a6N4Lky.jpg

#24 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:09 PM

If you get a chance, you should check out the Alamo in Denver by Sloan's. I lived right across W Colfax and walked to the Alamo every Sunday for the early showing. 

Jeriat, that's a good area. I think Stockyards would be a good location for an Alamo. It would be themed with a western vibe! If I only had $20M.

a6N4Lky.jpg

#25 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 12:59 PM

a6N4Lky.jpg

Thanks. But most likely not to happen, now.

7fwPZnE.png

#26 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 01:21 PM

Site clearing has begun here.

There's been some utility work happening there for a few weeks.

#27 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 12:10 AM

That location is surrounded by but yet reasonably far away from gas well sites; potentially explosive areas... but also potential permanent park areas. Fort Worth sold its soul several years ago. Always hope for redemption.

#28 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 15 March 2022 - 09:00 AM

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Project Description: The Grayson on 4th
Construct new 336-unit multifamily complex

CONSTRUCTION INFORMATION
Total Job Value: $43,620,403
Total Square Footage: 272,420
Estimated Cost: $34,709,149
Housing Units:0

Wow.  $43 million for zero units?  That is quite pricey. LOL

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 08:25 PM

There is an impressive stockpile of plywood on the north end of this site.  It's easily 5000 sheets.  Probably a lot more.

#30 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 08:07 AM

It seems that Stonehawk Capital, who have done a lot of the residential developments near downtown (The Bowery, The Jameson, The Huntley), plan a 270 unit building on this site according to DFWI's latest development map

This TDLR listing is a bit confusing but I think this one might be in far east Fort Worth our near 360.

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023001026

Project Name: Stonehawk Trinity Blvd Multifamily
Estimated Cost: $44,550,000

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 11:17 AM

This project appears to be going vertical: elevator shafts and some steel and wood framing near 4th St. have gone up in the last week.

#32 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 09:53 PM

Update:

Q40Fvk1.jpg

#33 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 06:19 AM

There is an impressive stockpile of plywood on the north end of this site.  It's easily 5000 sheets.  Probably a lot more.

Update:

Q40Fvk1.jpg

And in my little kitchen remodel I'm only using a sheet of plywood or so, a few sheets of drywall.  The scale of a modern apartment building kind of blows my mind..

My blog: Doohickie

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:00 PM

Views from above. Note that they appear to have preserved some of the mature trees on site and incorporated them into the courtyard (which is absolutely massive).

UTiRs0m.jpg

#35 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 06:51 AM

Looks like surface parking only. Were parking garages disallowed along with residential structures close to the gas wells, or was the land just cheap enough that surface parking was economical?

#36 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:38 AM

How were they able to build these so close to a pad site?  I thought that residential has to be a minimum distance away but these are right next door to one.

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:40 AM

Seems like I remember reading somewhere on here that the distance can be shortened depending on the status of the well site.

#38 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 10:47 AM

Oh right.  I do remembering that being mentioned somewhere on here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users