265 replies to this topic

#251 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 04:32 PM

The old Firm 817 home is still there, although not for long I assume. There's quite a bit of work being done in the alley immediately behind it, and there's signs of imminent construction in the area. 

qOEbIIT.jpg

xGKc1IS.jpg

OiRaXKV.jpg

#252 BFrog88

BFrog88

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 09:33 PM

Some early renderings of the planned East Campus housing between the nursing and business school buildings (Lubbock Ave) and existing housing on Sandage have trickled out. Construction on two residence halls (just under 300 beds) and a new dining facility (seating 700) is about to begin in earnest for a Fall 2024 opening. The gap between the residence hall beds and dining facility capacity telegraphs the plan for more dorms to follow.
9672455-F-39-BC-47-F9-890-E-8385845118-F
9-B5-E21-BD-D11-E-4-B4-A-8-D8-F-A0289-B4
6-C8-D95-F2-88-F3-4-D8-E-81-EF-042-C69-E
88-B8-B71-C-B5-F9-42-EB-BA12-AB72-F26176

#253 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 10:02 PM

Thats one heck of a first post.

#254 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • Interests:(pronounced
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 18 September 2022 - 10:20 PM

I really like the big lawn. Thanks for posting!

#255 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:58 AM

The old Firm 817 home is still there, although not for long I assume. There's quite a bit of work being done in the alley immediately behind it, and there's signs of imminent construction in the area. 

qOEbIIT.jpg

xGKc1IS.jpg

OiRaXKV.jpg

I have heard that TCU now owns this house.  Again waiting for city approval to tear it down.

#256 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 10:30 PM

What is architecture firm doing the new buildings?  I didn't see it on the renderings or the articles.

Have three comments (in case anyone on here agrees and has any pull):

1) Go heavy on trees: 

I realize those are rough (sketchup?) renderings, but I really hope they plant trees much more aggressively than shown in the renderings. 

2: Plant ivy on some walls. 

I think TCU would benefit from planting ivy on several of their walls.  Costs very little, is a long-established move across academia, and establishes visible vegetation quickly, especially important before the new shade trees mature. 

3.  Please no more simulated divided lite windows only inside the window panes. 

They need to include the part of the SDL (what's the term for this?) that goes on the outside of the windows too.  They spend so much on those buildings it blows my mind they have been overlooking that detail.  Without that detail, the windows look like they belong in Comfort Inn & Suites, not institutional buildings of this caliber. 

#257 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 04:33 PM

TCU 360 has an article with a new rendering and some other details: https://tcu360.com/2...ms-dining-hall/

#258 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 26 October 2022 - 05:17 PM

From the article:
((Itll be used like Market Square, Cavins-Tull said. So you swipe in, and then you eat anything you like and as much as you care to eat inside))

Ah, bring on the Freshman Fifteen. I remember watching the football team have Stromboli eating contests. The food staff would only serve them two pieces at a time though.

#259 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 28 October 2022 - 12:18 PM

Here's a small multifamily development near TCU: https://www.casaranatcu.com/

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023004100

PROJECT
Project Name: Casa Rana
Project Number: TABS2023004100
Facility Name: Casa Rana
Location Address: 3240 South University Dr.
Fort Worth, TX 76109
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 1/2/2023
Completion Date: 2/29/2024
Estimated Cost: $2,000,000
Type of Work: New Construction
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: New ground- up construction of 3 story multi-family building including site improvements, interiors, mechanical, electrical and plumbing.
Square Footage: 17,388 ft 2

OWNER
Owner Name:
Casa Rana, LLC
Owner Address:
3202 Princeton Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75205

DESIGN FIRM
Design Firm Name:
Studio 97w
Design Firm Address:
901 S. Main St.
Fort Worth, Texas 76104

#260 BFrog88

BFrog88

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 01:51 PM

FYI: TCU Board of Trustees is set to hold the next semi-annual meeting Wednesday the 9th through Friday the 11th. There have been rumors swirling for a few months about some new Athletics construction for football. Keep an eye out for a possible announcement as they tend to make construction announcements in tandem with Board meetings. I will keep an eye out for anything concrete (or, I should say, digitally rendered) that I can post. 

Technically the Board put a "construction moratorium" in place during the early stages of the pandemic that isn't set to expire until 2024, but that "moratorium" has obviously not stopped construction of the first Medical School building, East Campus housing/dining project, Sadler Hall renovation, or the rumored forthcoming football facilities (100% donor funded). So read into that what you will. The moratorium did actually freeze plans for renovations to Ed Landreth Hall and expansion of the Brown-Lupton University Union, so it will be interesting to see if there are any announcements regarding those projects after the next few semi-annual meetings. 

#261 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 05:45 PM

FYI: TCU Board of Trustees is set to hold the next semi-annual meeting Wednesday the 9th through Friday the 11th. There have been rumors swirling for a few months about some new Athletics construction for football. Keep an eye out for a possible announcement as they tend to make construction announcements in tandem with Board meetings. I will keep an eye out for anything concrete (or, I should say, digitally rendered) that I can post. 

Technically the Board put a "construction moratorium" in place during the early stages of the pandemic that isn't set to expire until 2024, but that "moratorium" has obviously not stopped construction of the first Medical School building, East Campus housing/dining project, Sadler Hall renovation, or the rumored forthcoming football facilities (100% donor funded). So read into that what you will. The moratorium did actually freeze plans for renovations to Ed Landreth Hall and expansion of the Brown-Lupton University Union, so it will be interesting to see if there are any announcements regarding those projects after the next few semi-annual meetings. 

I've heard what it could possibly be, but I have no idea where they could put it.

#262 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 03 November 2022 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing more.

#263 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 12:39 PM

Board meeting was Friday. Did anything come from it?

The agenda is online but vague: https://www.tcu.edu/...of-trustees.php

#264 BFrog88

BFrog88

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:26 AM

Quick update from my 11/2 post. Apologies for a bit of a false alarmno major announcements from the Board, so I guess the funding has not been fully secured for some of the in-development projects.

The letter from the Chancellor/Board following the meeting is available here: https://t.e2ma.net/m.../1ovcwe/pjb046d

With regard to facilities, the letter includes:

Strategic capital project updates were provided for efforts in various stages of planning and construction. These include:
1. Design and infrastructure work in preparation for the East Campus Residence Halls and Dining Project to support completion by 2025.
2. Construction began on the Burnett School of Medicine campus, scheduled for completion in fall 2024.
3. The M.E. Sadler Hall Repurposing Project has progressed on schedule and will be open to students beginning in spring 2023.

Trustee Mike Berry, chair of the Buildings and Grounds Committee, discussed the commission of a new campus master plan study which will examine TCUs strategic growth plan and alignment of our physical campus to mission and vision. The new campus master plan provides an opportunity for TCU to consider how spaces on campus academic programs, schools, colleges, gathering and living support TCU for the next 150 years. A committee of students, faculty and staff will be assembled in early 2023.

Also:

Athletics received approval to proceed with planning and design for an expansion of TCUs human performance facilities supporting strength and conditioning, rest and recovery, nutrition and well-being. This project includes renovation of the Bob Lilly Performance Center and expansion of key offerings for student-athletes.

#265 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Details on the Athletics Human Performance Center Expansion & Renovation

https://tcufrogclub....mibextid=Zxz2cZ

#266 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member