Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,728 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:31 PM

Super cool project in NW AR.

https://ledgerbentonville.com/

Ledger is a six-story, 230,000 sq. ft. work and community hub with an all glass exterior, bikeable switchbacks, terraces, and outdoor access on each floor.

Its stunning architecture blurs the separation of our interior environment and the outdoors, inviting you to connect with Downtown Bentonville and the natural beauty of the Ozarks.

DIAG_Exploded_GIF.gif

#2 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 02:11 PM

That's a nice design.  The switchbacks appear very tight though....somewhat dangerous at any normal speed unless the bikes go all the way around on each level first then up / down.

I see they tout this as the world's first bikeable building.  Their animated rendering doesn't do much to reassure me that there will be safety-minded biking here.  If you watch closely, you'll see what I mean.

https://ledgerbenton.../bikeable-2.mp4

Does anyone else remember when the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome was converted into Rollerdome in the Viking's off-season for families to enjoy indoor roller skating / inline skating.  I don't think this building was considered bikeable with some height restrictions such as TV's and other ceiling obstructions / structural elements, but this was such a cool use of this space when not being used for events.
110413rollerdome_640x360.jpg

#3 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:50 PM

That's wild. I'm surprised it's going up in Bentonville of all places.

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,728 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:58 PM

Just a few months ago, Washington Post called Northwest Arkansas "The Next Austin."

#5 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:19 PM

Just a few months ago, Washington Post called Northwest Arkansas "The Next Austin."

So what does that make California?

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, did anyone have Bentonville, Arkansas on their bingo card for progressive building projects?

#7 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, did anyone have Bentonville, Arkansas on their bingo card for progressive building projects?

It's all that Walmart money.....yuck.

Remember back in the 80's when Sam Walton convinced everyone that "Buy American" was a real thing.  Funny how that worked out now.

https://www.nytimes....y-american.html

#8 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:23 PM

You would be surprised the number of companies that have buildings in NW Arkie. Walmart basically says if you want to do business with us, you have to have an office by us. So pretty much every product of any sort in Walmart has a office complex in Bentonville or surroundings. It is wild.

The airport is in the middle of nowhere, but it is impressive. Took a private plane for a TCU game and you pull up and there were literally 10 $60-$100 million dollar planes parked about. It was unreal the level of $ in that part of the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users