• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 WileyClarkson

WileyClarkson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I'm looking for information on the actual architect of the W. T. Waggoner building. One web site says Sanguinet and Staats and another historical web site says creator unknown. I have an job storage index of my grandfather's that says "Waggoner, W. T.., Office Bldg, box 1 job 1449". Can anyone help me on this?

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

All of the records that I have indicate that Sanguinet & Staats designed the W.T. Waggoner Building. It could be that Clarkson did some remodeling in the W.T. Waggoner, or he designed some of the office space in the upper floors.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

Also posted this in the XTO thread, but wanted to get the news in a thread dedicated to building.

W.T. Waggonner has a new owner - Tom Gaglardi. If that name sounds interesting, Gaglardi is also the owner of the Dallas Stars. Implication sounds heavy that this will go hotel.

$50 we get a Moxies in Downtown Fort Worth?

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:02 PM

W.T. Waggonner has a new owner - Tom Gaglardi. If that name sounds interesting, Gaglardi is also the owner of the Dallas Stars. Implication sounds heavy that this will go hotel.

Terrific news.  Adding new hospitality venues in Downtown instead of Class B office space.  Way to go!

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

I thought this would be one of the best XTO properties to be converted into a hotel, mainly because the old bank lobby is fully intact.  These old bank lobbies make excellent hotel lobbies.

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

The last thing Fort Worth needs is to lose even more precious office space. We have too little office space as it is.

That said, I suppose we need more hotel rooms as well. At least the public will be able to enter this building.

-Dylan

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:28 PM

The last thing Fort Worth needs is to lose even more precious office space. We have too little office space as it is...That said, I suppose we need more hotel rooms as well. At least the public will be able to enter this building.

I think 640 Taylor demonstrates that Fort Worth needs state-of-the-art office space which is even more precious.  I hope that residential and hospitality projects will consume the surplus of Class D office space  that will prompt a developer new to come in to Fort Worth and to build a big tower.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:15 PM

Does the entire Waggoner Block come with the Northland Properties purchase?

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Yes, the entire block comes with the purchase.  This is similar to the Petroleum Building, except there was another building on that block that was included.

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Yes, the entire block comes with the purchase.  This is similar to the Petroleum Building, except there was another building on that block that was included.

Wow, that can portend something very exciting.

#11 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

The Star-Telegram article gives a shout out for the website, https://www.star-tel...e216242870.html

I think hotel also is the best option to activate the surrounding streetscape. Not always, but hotels typically have the most they try to offer as far as amenities for the ground floor. Think of the Omni, it crams 4 restarunts onto Houston Street facade, in addition to the hotels entrance. 

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:06 PM

Even more luxury apartments/condos?

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

I can't imagine that the surface parking will remain in whole.

The SW corner at 8th and Throckmorton makes sense to build an annex of sorts. The ground level might include loading bays, a valet area, or restaurant. Higher levels might have some service space, spa, meeting rooms, or something similar. This section likely wouldn't be very tall, maybe 4 floors or so, since the west side of W.T. already has windows, and the hotel probably wouldn't want to block it's own views.

The remaining half of the block fronting 7th is the really interesting section. I'm not familiar with the floorplan of W.T., Perhaps John can weigh in here. Are the staircases against the North wall? Looks like the elevators are right behind the bottom of the U? Is there any chance they could punch the walls out on the backside and make windows and rooms in there, or would that all be hallways? If that north wall is stuck being a wall, seems obvious to build something on the remaining half lot. Probably a garage? But it would be nice to see something with a bit of height there. Another option could be to sell of that half of the block. If that wall can be punched through, it leaves the NE corner of the block in a weird conundrum, because it's probably to small for a garage or highrise.

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

..... Is there any chance they could punch the walls out on the backside and make windows and rooms in there, or would that all be hallways?....If that wall can be punched through, it leaves the NE corner of the block in a weird conundrum, because it's probably to small for a garage or highrise.

Having experience pieces of the frieze from the Burkburnet Building falling to the pavement below, I would feel very leery of punching any holes in W.T. Waggoner Building and what that might cause to happen. 

The City should work with the new owner in efforts to maintain the integrity of this iconic building.

#15 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

I think the new owners will do their best to keep the integrity of the building in tact. For me I think converting all FW’s older historic buildings means that office space will be disappearing which clears the way for a new Class A high rise tower to be built towards accommodate the loss of office space. Just kinda hoping.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

Austin, here is the answer to your question.  When you walk into the lobby of the W.T. Waggoner Building from Houston Street, the first core element that you run into is the interior stair.  That is directly behind the desk where you check in.  Then going west from that point are four elevators.  You assumed correctly in that they are all at the bottom of the "U".  All of the core elements are along the north wall.  There is not a second stair inside the building.  That is served by a fire escape on the west wall.  When converted into a hotel, that fire escape will have to become an interior stair.  Either the architects will design one inside the existing building, or they will put a 20 story stairway on the north or west side of the building. I would think putting in a new stair tower similar to what was done on the Burk Burnett Building would be the answer.  Where it would be located would depend on the distance between it and the existing interior stair.  There will also be other distance factors involved with the code that could determine where things will be placed.  This is similar to the Sinclair Building in that the project involves a change of use of the building which kicks in bringing the building entirely up to current codes. 

As for the remaining 3/4 of the block, I think you could have a parking garage with all of the hotel amenities located within it.

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:51 PM

.... All of the core elements [WTW] are along the north wall.  There is not a second stair inside the building.  That is served by a fire escape on the west wall.  When converted into a hotel, that fire escape will have to become an interior stair.  Either the architects will design one inside the existing building, or they will put a 20 story stairway on the north or west side of the building. I would think putting in a new stair tower similar to what was done on the Burk Burnett Building would be the answer...... This is similar to the Sinclair Building in that the project involves a change of use of the building which kicks in bringing the building entirely up to current codes. 

As for the remaining 3/4 of the block, I think you could have a parking garage with all of the hotel amenities located within it.

When WTW was built, it was the tallest building at the time in Fort Worth? Why is there a blank north facade wall; what did the wall face? Was it common for tenants in an adjacent building to stair at blank walls? There must have been an alley easement in this block? The Burk Burnett exterior elevator is a great solution.

I think a future tower fronting 7th Street that is designed with a facade like the west elevation of Burnett Plaza could be a possible solution to the wall to wall issue:

burnett4_small.jpg

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

The W.T. Waggoner Building was the tallest in the city from August 2, 1920 until May 1921.  The relatively blank north wall of the W.T. Waggoner building faced into another building when it was built.  That building was significantly shorter.  However, it was an adjacent piece of property and another tall building could have been built right next to it.  There used to be an alley way through the block, running north and south.  That's why the west wall of the W.T. has a lot of windows.  There was 10 feet between it and another building to the west.  The placement of the core is also a result of the design of the building by turning the lightwell toward the front.

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:53 AM

Fascinating.

This provides a different perspective of Burnett Plaza; it is a contemporary use of an earlier design incorporating a "great blank wall". Greatest amount of windows set on three of four elevations with the fourth elevation housing the lifts and the mechanical functions.  It looks very much the case that this was a widely used design of the early 20th Century architecture.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

Yes, there are similarities.  The Waggoner Building put a 20 story building on a 75' x 95' site and still had to provide light and air to all offices due to no air conditioning at the time it was built.  Burnett Plaza put a 40 story, 1M s.f. building on a roughly 100' x 310' site. With modern floor plate requirements and the size of the core for this building, the only way the building would work would be to have the core on one wall.  This core could have been surrounded by a narrow section of building, but the architects decided to make a design element of the dropping off of the elevator banks.  (More efficient use of elevators)  The Waggoner Building's elevators go all the way up.  

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:14 PM

The W.T. Waggoner Building was the tallest in the city from August 2, 1920 until May 1921.  The relatively blank north wall of the W.T. Waggoner building faced into another building when it was built.....

The blank north wall seems to be the ideal place for a large banner ad.  If you've noticed, Downtown Dallas has ads that drape down the "face" of some of its high rises. An Apple Phone Ad comes immediately in mind.  I would think these ads produce some revenue for the owners.

Even though it will soon be gone, the north wall of the Kress Building had the opportunity for a billboard banner; also, the Jail on Belknap @ Throckmorton.

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

I believe those banner ads are against the Downtown Design Standards and Guidelines, kind of like not permitting top of building signage.

#23 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Would a mural be against DDSG?

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

I would have to look.  We have a couple of murals downtown, but I think they were there before the guidelines were approved.  However, I would lay you odds that the north wall is going to be partially covered up by new construction, once the design has been completed for the hotel conversion.

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:25 PM

Northland has filed a renovation permit at 810 Houston. 

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

#26 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

Interior, non-structural demolition and it expires in 6 months. I would assume the construction permits will follow soon. Can't wait to see what happens with it.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

Two interesting things lately -

Dumpsters have shwon up on site. Probably to assist in renovations. 

The surface lot is now open to the public. Anyone can park there for a $10 daily rate. Hopefully this is just temporary while the building undergoes renovations. 

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

Tonight every single light in the interior of the building was on. Very eye catching to see so much light. Very vibrant! Really curious to learn more about what's going on inside.
Tonight every single light in the interior of the building was on. Very eye catching to see so much light. Very vibrant! Really curious to learn more about what's going on inside.

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the contractors are removing all of the offices, similar to what was done at the Sinclair Building.  Thanks for the information on all of the lights being turned on.  I may run downtown this evening to see if I can catch a picture, assuming all the lights will still be turned on.

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:48 PM

I made it down there tonight and many of the lights were on in the building.  I took several shots, and I don't know which one was the best.  This one was hand held, so it is grainy.

wt-night.jpg

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

Beautiful.

Its worth reiterating that it is exciting and great that outsiders are moving in and proceeding quickly to fulfill their promises. 

Expect 714 Main to proceed next before anything happens on the Monnig's Block.

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

The applicant installed two (2) monuments signs in the existing surface parking lot. The monument signs meet the DDRB standards with the exception of being located in a non-landscaped area. Platinum Parking will operate the parking lot while the adjacent building is under construction. The adjacent building will reopen and a hotel will manage the lot. At this time staff has no objections to the monument sign being located in an non-landscaped area because they are located behind the fence setback from the public right of way. 

This sort of implies that there won't be any new construction on the surface parking.

#33 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:18 PM

I made it down there tonight and many of the lights were on in the building.  I took several shots, and I don't know which one was the best.  This one was hand held, so it is grainy.

wt-night.jpg

Great picture!  The Waggoner is a beautiful building anyway, but lit up like this makes it really pop.  Whatever hotel lands there should purchase this photo for the on-line advertising.

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:44 PM

The applicant installed two (2) monuments signs in the existing surface parking lot. The monument signs meet the DDRB standards with the exception of being located in a non-landscaped area....

This sort of implies that there won't be any new construction on the surface parking.

Are you suggesting that there won't ever be any new construction on the surface parking or that there won't be new construction in the immediate future?

IMO, new construction of some form is destined at such a prime location.

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thanks, Ramjet.

#36 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:23 PM

I think the owner mentioned this in initial press release - believe they acknowledged its potential for future development but were focusing first on the hotel.  I don't know what off site parking resources the WT Waggoner building has for guests, but assuming they can access nearby spaces in the large new garage built for XTO, they could use the 3/4 block for new development. 

Now, if you develop, say, an apartment building on the remaining land, where would you place the parking if you were the developer?

#37 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:54 PM

This slipped by me somehow, with Galardi being the buyer and talking hotel he will no doubt make this one of his Sandman Hotels. I think they finally have finished the one in Frisco so maybe they will now move on this? I had heard something of a Sandman coming to downtown FTW but didnt realize it was this building. 

#38 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

Yes, according to the document Austin found, a Sandman hotel at 810 Houston, the Waggoner Building, is expected to open in 2021:

In the most recent Hunden Partners convention center study was this little list ...

pd7RiDH.png

#39 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2019018146

Filed with TDLR. Merriman Anderson are the architects, who also did Sinclair. 

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the notification.  I try to check the TDLR website from time to time, but you beat me to it.

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

Going for TIF funds, 

V. Action Items A. Discussion and consideration of a resolution authorizing the Chair to enter into TIF Development Agreement with Northland Properties Corp. for the reimbursement of certain public improvements associated with the development of a hotel at 810 Houston St. (Michael Hennig, Strategic Development Coordinator).

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

There's really nothing new here, but if you have access to the article, the Dallas Morning News has a story about the conversion of the W.T. Waggoner Building to a Sandman Signature Hotel.

https://www.dallasne...l-be-new-hotel/

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

Here's a link to the article in the Fort Worth Business Press:

http://www.fortworth...56a358491f.html

The DMN article stated that the hotel will have 240 rooms.  This will certainly help fill the hotel room gap that we have.

#44 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:34 AM

Two big questions still loom

-How well will lobby be preserved?

-What's the plan for the surface lot?

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

Since this was the only old bank lobby fully intact at the time of the building restoration, I would think that keeping the lobby as it is would be the highest priority.  The one fly in this ointment is the Change of Use for the building.  The building has to now be brought up to current codes.  This requirement might also have a small impact on the vacant surface lot.  Look at what the Change of Use requirements did for the Sinclair Building.  The exterior fire escape inside the light well of that building had to be replaced by a permanent metal stair and a rated enclosure.  The existing interior stair had to be brought straight to the first floor through a former lease space very close to the exterior wall.  There are other code issues at the Sinclair, as well, but these are the more noticeable parts required for life safety purposes that were pretty obvious. 

The fire escape at the W.T. Waggoner will have to be put inside the building or enclosed by new construction on the outside.  This is why I said there might be an impact on the parking lot.  I'm not sure if the interior stairway is enclosed.  If it is not, then that requirement will be required to be met.  Eventually this project will probably go before the DDRB for any major exterior work to be done on the building.  The building is only designated locally as Demoltion Delay, so there won't be a case heard by the Landmarks Commission on this conversion. 

#46 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

What's the reason for code requiring the fire escape to be enclosed?  Just curious.

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

In new construction, they are not allowed in high rise buildings.

#48 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

Is it a safety or aesthetic reason?

#49 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

Since this was the only old bank lobby fully intact at the time of the building restoration, I would think that keeping the lobby as it is would be the highest priority.  The one fly in this ointment is the Change of Use for the building.  The building has to now be brought up to current codes...

What a stunningly beautiful gem!

http://www.fortworth...aggoner-int.htm

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:38 PM

JBB, it is a life safety issue. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic