15 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 12:48 PM

It sounds like there might be some sort of expansion of the TCCC and TCCJC. 

Vacation of Lamar Street from W Belknap Street to W Weatherford Street for building expansion

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Edit: Looks like an elevator is being added onto the Curry building. 

2ODOXMS.png

#2 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 02:28 PM

Austin, where did you find  those drawings posted?  UDC, City Planning Commish, or zoning docket?

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 03:50 PM

Commissioners Court

https://tarrantcount...entFileId=28358

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 10:16 PM

Rendering via ddrb map. It's nice to see they plan to match it up with the building. 

OdBbs3Q.png

#5 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 11:22 PM

Thats funny, I checked the DDRB map around 3 or 4pm and saw non of these projects posted yet. I guess someone at city hall is working late! Thursdays meeting is coming up fast.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:54 AM

I have split this topic off into a separate thread.  If you want to go back to the Tarrant County Jail topic, you may find it here: https://www.fortwort...?showtopic=4900

#7 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:17 AM

Am I right in understanding that there's already a 6-shaft elevator bank in the building? If so, why do they need more elevators?

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 01:52 PM

There was an elevator study done on the building in 2021 by H.H. Angus.  It was determined at that time the building needed an additional 4 elevators.  The building currently has 6 elevators.  In other words, considering the number of people the building served, 10 elevators would be appropriate. 

#9 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:53 AM

Interesting! I wonder why they didn't figure that out before original construction. 

#10 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:13 AM

Interesting! I wonder why they didn't figure that out before original construction. 

From Bennet Partner's Report in the DDRB filing:

...We are anticipating adding four elevators within this addition.  These new elevators will be for the exclusive use of Tarrant County employees...

At the time these buildings were designed and approved for construction, the population of Tarrant County
was 1.13 million. The population has nearly doubled in 30 years. About 575 Tarrant County staff currently
work in the Tim Curry Criminal Justice Center and the building sees about 1,000 peak daily visitors. With
just 6 existing elevators for visitors and staff, the building needs to add 4 new elevators to accommodate
the demand, based on a 2021 elevator study prepared by HH Angus. Additionally, we studied the possibility
of utilizing an existing stairwell to add elevators within the building footprint. This option was not ideal,
allowing for only 3 new elevators when 4 are needed, and requiring much more disruption and renovation
at each floor.

#11 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 08:26 AM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023023473

PROJECT
Project Name: Tim Curry Criminal Justice Center Elevator Tower Addition
Project Number: TABS2023023473
Facility Name: Tim Curry Criminal Justice Center
Location Address: 401 W. Belknap Street
Fort Worth, TX 76196
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 12/1/2023
Completion Date: 12/31/2024
Estimated Cost: $7,735,000
Type of Work: Additions to Existing Building
Type of Funds: This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work: Addition for 4 new staff elevators and associated lobbies
Square Footage: 12,943 ft 2

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 11:23 AM

Not the Curry but related, it looks like County is planning to expand the garage located to the south.

YsEpN1G.png

Photo from FW Developement Map: https://cfw.maps.arc...6f6ab1542fca765

#13 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 11:29 AM

Not the Curry but related, it looks like County is planning to expand the garage located to the south.

YsEpN1G.png

Photo from FW Developement Map: https://cfw.maps.arc...6f6ab1542fca765

is there a shortage of downtown parking that I'm unaware of?

one block away is a large TCC parking garage, and looking at aerials, it seems six of the nearby blocks are basically all surface parking...

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 11:46 AM

I'm spitballing here but this may be a security issue, since I think this is where most of the jail and sheriff employees park, so there might be a desire for a separate, secured facility. 

Also, the block here is so small IDK there's much else you could do with it. This garage always looked half-done. I'm wondering if this was always the plan? I'd assume so looking at the way the columns were poured. 

I'll personally be glad to see the ugly, half-done wall hidden behind a (hopefully) much nicer facade. 

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 02:52 PM

I was hoping to find some documentation in the Star-Telegram archives, but I couldn't.  I will have to rely on my memory.  This goes back to the days of the Tandy Center.  If you remember, the first Master Plan for the Tandy Center called for 4 towers, all connected in some fashion by a multi-story shopping mall.  The first two of the towers were planned to be about 20 stories tall in the center.  To the east, where Leonard's main building stood, was to be a 20 story hotel.  To the west, across Taylor Street was a 40-50 story office building.  Towers I and II and the shopping mall were built according to the plan.  The hotel became a joint venture with the Bass Family and was expanded by a block and shrunk 7 floors.  The 40-50 story building on the west was not built as planned.  At the time of the construction of the Tandy Center, these four blocks were graded down to the Subway level and prepared for the construction of the 4th tower.  It was used as a surface parking lot until the plans were announced for the 6 story Tandy Technology Center, which was going to have a larger floor plate, but become a shorter building.  After all, Tandy had four contiguous blocks there for it.  This parking garage was constructed by Tandy to serve the Technology Center and for employee parking.  From what I can remember, the last bay of parking was reserved to be constructed at a later date, and it never happened.

Austin, you are correct in that the intention was to eventually expand the parking garage to the west to take up the full block.  You are also correct in that the space that is left is small.  It is only about 60 feet wide because a row of 90 degree parking with a 2-way drive and another row is 60 feet wide.  They actually built two drive lanes with parking on each side, totaling 120 feet.  This third drive with parking will add another 60 feet, bringing the width of the building to 180 feet.  Downtown blocks are 200 feet in length.  If you look on the aerials, you can see that the east wall of the garage is set back from Burnett Street.  This drive with parking on each side will complete the building.  This expansion is also the reason why the west facade was left unfinished.  It will be easy to ome in and attach the new structure to the existing without having to remove very much.

#16 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 10:30 PM

I thought I posted it but there was a big generator addition around $27M and I also got a bid solicitation the other day from the county for a big switchgear upgrade too. Would be a logical part of this project but to serve the broader campus of county facilities. I will check again next week for any more details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users