38 replies to this topic

#1 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 01:51 PM

The Dallas Morning News reported that this office building will be renovated into apartments. 

The new residential is great; still sad to see yet more office space and jobs disappear from DTFW. 

#2 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 02:53 PM

The Dallas Morning News reported that this office building will be renovated into apartments. 

The new residential is great; still sad to see yet more office space and jobs disappear from DTFW. 

Look at the upside...they will have job openings for leasing agents and maintenance staff.  With a well-paying WFH job, I guess you could live anywhere nowadays , why not downtown if you can swing it.

• TLA likes this

#3 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:21 PM

Look at the upside...they will have job openings for leasing agents and maintenance staff.  With a well-paying WFH job, I guess you could live anywhere nowadays , why not downtown if you can swing it.

I think this is a cool building to be converted into apartments to be honest.  It is not class A or B office space so that will only lead to some being built if/when the time comes.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:42 PM

For the record, this is my photograph from the main Architecture in Fort Worth website.  The photo is from the backside of the building, but it does isolate it from the neighboring Star-Telegram Building.  It was completed in 1952 as an addition to the Star-Telegram Building (formerly The Fair Building).

oil-gas.jpg

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:42 PM

Interestingly if you go to Bluelofts website both the Oil & Gas (135 units) building AND the Star-Telegram Building (105 units) are listed.

https://bluelofts.io/resi.html#

#6 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, Eastfwther. Here's the article, https://www.dallasne...tower-for-redo/

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:30 PM

I read the article and I'm puzzled by the article stating they are going for historic tax credits, yet they are planning to cut an atrium all the way through the building.  Even though interiors are not covered under historic designations, when you go for historic tax credits, the THC can tell you what you can and can't do with original interior elements. 

On another note, the photograph caption states the gentlemen involved with the project are standing on top of the Oil & Gas Building.  The rooftop shown is not in Fort Worth.  Even the DMN should know better and they should verify the location of the photograph.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 07:46 PM

The photograph in the article appears to be Cleveland.

#9 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, Eastfwther. Here's the article, https://www.dallasne...tower-for-redo/

From the article, they're planning 180 residential units in this building. It's like six-tenths of a Deco (at around 300 units) just fell out of the sky, sweet!

#10 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:19 PM

That unit count doesn't seem to use the entirety of each building.  Makes me wonder if they intend to keep several floors of office. 

#11 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:05 PM

Could include a couple full floor penthouse levels.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 03:11 PM

One of the articles stated they had plans to cut an atrium through all of the 16 floors.  That would definitely reduce the number of units. 

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:57 PM

I really hope a modification to the base is part of the conversion. The black windows on white marble just don't jive with the building. 

Here's a rendering of how the building was originally proposed:

20096756.jpg

Source: https://library.uta....ry/img/20096756

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:02 PM

A base restoration is also needed on the Star-Telegram Building next door.

#15 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 07:55 AM

I don't hate the chrome pillars and brown cladding inside my green outlines here:

ulrU9KF.jpg

Keep those but update the white-marble-black-windows portions of the base?

Or, hmmm, jeez, maybe the contrast across my green lines is the problem: update the chrome pillars with brown cladding to match the white-marble-black-windows portions instead?

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 07:21 PM

I am a purist, and I am assuming that the Fair/Star-Telegram Building will be incorporated into this project.  This is supposed to be a tax credit project, so I am willing to bet that the Texas Historical Commission will request the owner to restore the base of the buildings.  There is one problem with that.  The original base on The Fair Building had a tall entry similar to what is there currently.  The original entry to the Oil & Gas Building was shorter (one story) and was fairly non-descript.  In the past remodeling, an opening was installed in the two party walls between the two buildings right at the front entrance.  Maybe the THC would accept a compromise that would keep a double height entry on both buildings, yet would be compatible with restored bases on both buildings.  For the record the deep set storefront on the Star-Telegram building did not exist when The Fair Department Store occupied the lower floors.  Storefront windows were very close to the face of the masonry on the building.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 07:52 PM

The Star-T building would really be one of the nicest in the whole city if it weren't for that ugly base. 

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 09:28 PM

Here is how the bases of both buildings looked at the time when the Oil & Gas Building was completed in 1952.

20097666.jpg

Source: UTA Library Digital Galleries - https://library.uta....99/20097666.jpg

#19 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:05 PM

ooh thats really nice.  assuming the tax credit financing results in replicating the old ground floor, that will look fantastic.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:03 PM

The bases of both buildings were much nicer than they are today.  The remodeling was done in 1964, and I can barely remember the old facades.  The photographs help to remind me of how they looked.  If they restore the bases, the Fair/Ster-Telegram Building will actually gain some leaseable space on the ground floor.

#21 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:00 PM

Cant help but wonder if anything remains under that Façade 

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 05:25 PM

The old facade may be beneath the Oil & Gas Building, but it was probably removed on the base of the Fair/Star-Telegram Building.  The granite below the storefront windows was definitely removed because what was once on the interior of the building is now under a deep arcade on the exterior.

#23 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 09:35 AM

Record HCLC-23-151: 
Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission
Record Status: In Review

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

Project Description:
309 W. 7th Street
HSE Designation

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:36 PM

Here's a link to the Staff Report regarding the case before the Historic & Cultural Landmarks Commission.  There's no surprise here.  Since most of the exterior of the building is in original condition, the staff is recommending approval.

https://www.fortwort...designation.pdf

Since the developers have now bought the Fair/Star-Telegram Building next door, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they ask for an upgrade to Historic & Cultural Landmark on that building within the next month, or so. 

#25 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 03:59 PM

John, did anyone get clarification: are they planning to create some sort of interior light well?  Thought I read that somewhere.

And, does the Dept of Interior offer points for historic tax credit projects' developers who provide fragrance throughout the building that simulates the historic smell of cigarette, cigar and pipe smoke?

Joking, but given the granular detail they seem to go into, I wouldn't be totally floored.

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:39 PM

I had read that somewhere also.  However, I have not heard anything about the project, since.  I do think we need to give the architects time to do their design and prepare their drawings.  I'm pretty sure that when the conversion is announced, we will have more detail on what is involved in that project.   

Your joking was a good one.

#27 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 18 January 2024 - 12:40 PM

Anyone know the status of this project? I only ask because their other big project in Dallas, 211 Ervay, has been posted for Foreclosure. Wondered if it was a specific project issue or company issue. 

#28 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 12:44 PM

Anyone know the status of this project? I only ask because their other big project in Dallas, 211 Ervay, has been posted for Foreclosure. Wondered if it was a specific project issue or company issue. 

Same owner?

#29 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 12:59 PM

Same owner?

Yes Both are Wolf Investments 

#30 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 01:21 PM

Same owner?

Yes Both are Wolf Investments 

Very interesting. 

https://www.dallasca...000100849000000

https://www.tad.org/property/42692481

"Own a piece of Downtown Fort Worth's skyscraper, earn income and appreciation"

#31 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 01:32 PM

It's actually the second foreclosure filing.  Was originally scheduled for Sep 5, Wolfe secured new construction financing with plans to do an office to residential renovation.

https://therealdeal....fice-buildings/

Steve Brown's article from today:

https://www.dallasne...closure-filing/

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:23 PM

As of yesterday, the Oil & Gas Building officially joined the National Register of Historic Places.  Tonight I updated all of the corresponding web pages on the main site.

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 10:28 PM

Excellent news!

#34 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 01:16 PM

Excellent news!

Saying "good news" because it increases the chance it will be renovated in a favorable way, or is there more benefit to their achieving national historic status?

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:40 PM

I'm pretty sure I have covered this before.  With both this building and the Fair Building next door, the developer should be able to apply for Federal and possibly State Tax Credits to help fund this project.  With these tax credits, the Texas Historical Commission and State Preservation Officer will be directing guidance on what can and can't be done to the buildings. 

#36 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I have covered this before.  With both this building and the Fair Building next door, the developer should be able to apply for Federal and possibly State Tax Credits to help fund this project.  With these tax credits, the Texas Historical Commission and State Preservation Officer will be directing guidance on what can and can't be done to the buildings. 

Those tax credits, they shouldnt impact their ability to do two story loft apartments, right?

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 07:31 PM

It would all depend on the Texas Historical Commission.  Their biggest concern is keeping original materials within the public spaces.  If the corridors have most of their original finishes, then the THC probably won't care if the units become two stories in height. They also want the buildings to be usable with the least amount of destruction on the inside as possible.  If those office areas have been remodeled multiple times, they should't care about the volumes within.

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:56 AM

Sounds like the troubles for Bluelofts/Wolfe has made it over here. New owner is Missouri-based Legacy Bank & Trust. Same bank who provided a $12 million loan for the building last year. 

https://www.dallasne...issouri-lender/

#39 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 04:51 PM

Anyone know what happened at the March 5th auction for these buildings?

https://therealdeal....es-foreclosure/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users