244 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

An interesting item from the zoning agenda.

The property is in the northwest corner of downtown and generally bounded by West Weatherford Street,

Belknap Street, and Lexington Street, and is east of where Forest Park Boulevard separates. The
applicant is proposing a zoning change from “G” Intensive Commercial to “H” Central Business District for
construction of a multi . The Downtown Urban Design District will require additional review and approval
by the Downtown Design Review Board (DDRB).

Owner: MWG Enterprises LLC
801 Cherry Street, Suite 3350
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Agent: Mary Nell Poole/Townsite
Acreage: 1.2 acres
Comprehensive Plan Sector: Downtown

The area is developing an interesting pattern, some large apartment blocks (like the Broadstone @ Pier 1) and highrise condos (The Worth). Currently don't know which of those this project may look like. It is worth noting that by going from "G" to "H" zoning there is no height limit. G is restricted to 12 floors.

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Oddly shaped parcel of land, don't you think?

#3 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

really just a block from "The Worth"

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

An interesting item from the zoning agenda.

The property is in the northwest corner of downtown and generally bounded by West Weatherford Street,

Belknap Street, and Lexington Street, and is east of where Forest Park Boulevard separates. The
applicant is proposing a zoning change from “G” Intensive Commercial to “H” Central Business District for
construction of a multi . The Downtown Urban Design District will require additional review and approval
by the Downtown Design Review Board (DDRB).

Owner: MWG Enterprises LLC
801 Cherry Street, Suite 3350
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Agent: Mary Nell Poole/Townsite
Acreage: 1.2 acres
Comprehensive Plan Sector: Downtown

The area is developing an interesting pattern, some large apartment blocks (like the Broadstone @ Pier 1) and highrise condos (The Worth). Currently don't know which of those this project may look like. It is worth noting that by going from "G" to "H" zoning there is no height limit. G is restricted to 12 floors.

I agree.  The requested rezoning to "H" with no height restriction could be significant.  We shall see, of course.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

Oddly shaped parcel of land, don't you think?

It is.  A lot of that is the product of the street layout, but even the building (built in 1984) is positioned strangely on the lot.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

I looked at Historicaerials.com, and the original street grid was on the 30 degree tilt with the rest of downtown.  The addition of the orthagonal streets was when the connection was made between Belknap, Weatherford, Summit, Penn, and Forest Park.  (1963-68).  The building is honoring both grids.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

Interesting.  I assumed that it had something to do with the street connections, but I didn't think to look at Historic Aerials.  

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:35 PM

An interesting item from the zoning agenda.....The area is developing an interesting pattern, some large apartment blocks (like the Broadstone @ Pier 1) and highrise condos (The Worth). Currently don't know which of those this project may look like. It is worth noting that by going from "G" to "H" zoning there is no height limit. G is restricted to 12 floors.

Pure speculation, but the shape of this property will be dictate that the project will be like nothing currently seen before in Fort Worth if height and shape is taken in to account.   "G" to "H" is an eye opener!

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

Perhaps getting rid of the spaghetti junction highwayesque interchange here might help the viability of the surrounding area.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:51 PM

It would be pretty cool if they could directly connect Summit to Forest Park and have Weatherford and Belknap t-off at that connection.  Getting rid of all of the other connectors between there would open up a lot of nice land.

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

Perhaps getting rid of the spaghetti junction highwayesque interchange here might help the viability of the surrounding area.

It would be pretty cool if they could directly connect Summit to Forest Park and have Weatherford and Belknap t-off at that connection.  Getting rid of all of the other connectors between there would open up a lot of nice land.

You are ignoring what is and has been the traffic calming result that has occurred unintentionally by the street layout in this area.  I think that the part of Downtown will be more friendly towards pedestrian who want to enjoy that part of the river which great potential for a riverfront.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:59 PM

I don't know.  The lack of stops created by those connections does very little traffic calming that I see.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

I don't know.  The lack of stops created by those connections does very little traffic calming that I see.

True, but curves tend to rein in a speeding car; at least this has been my own experience.

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

Agreed. At worst, drivers would have to site through 2 extra lights. That's basically nothing.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:23 PM

An interesting item from the zoning agenda.....The area is developing an interesting pattern, some large apartment blocks (like the Broadstone @ Pier 1) and highrise condos (The Worth). Currently don't know which of those this project may look like. It is worth noting that by going from "G" to "H" zoning there is no height limit. G is restricted to 12 floors.

Pure speculation, but the shape of this property will be dictate that the project will be like nothing currently seen before in Fort Worth if height and shape determines accountability.   "G" to "H" is an eye opener!

I almost certainly doesn't mean that this will be  over 12 floors though, as H allows residential. The possibility is there though.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

12 Floors isn't bad.  There are two approaches at play here - The "Dallas Approach":multi-story/heights and the "Fort Worth Approach": 4-5 story heights. 

And then there is economics that regularly works in cases like this where a small/irregular shaped land is best productive when you add multi layers of space atop one another. This economic theory may be why the owner is seeking a change in zoning.

Having not yet visited the site is question, my familiarity with the immediate street layout causes me to guess that any structure there will require something besides a box tower

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

Only if they chose to fill the whole lot and follow the property lines.  There's plenty of room to build something boxy.

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

To be clear, I'm  advocating for something less squatted and significantly taller than the spat of multi family projects now offered in the City.  A project within the Downtown ought to be vertical.

My guess is, to take full advantage of the skyline, Panther Island and the museums, a tower in the range of 15-20 stories.  More would certainly be better.

#19 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

The application will be heard again in 30 days. The applicant was not prepared.

#20 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

The owner/applicant informed me back in January that their plans were for a ~28 floor multi-family structure.  Evidently they tried to buy the Taco Bell on multiple occasions and haven't been able to do so.  There are some deep pockets here, but they also haven't done anything this large.  I'm cautiously optimistic that something good will come of it (even if it ends up scaled back significantly).

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

The owner/applicant informed me back in January that their plans were for a ~28 floor multi-family structure.  Evidently they tried to buy the Taco Bell on multiple occasions and haven't been able to do so.  There are some deep pockets here, but they also haven't done anything this large.  I'm cautiously optimistic that something good will come of it (even if it ends up scaled back significantly).

Just to clarify, you aren't confusing this with The Worth

#22 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

That is correct.  Different property.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Fantastic! 

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

That is correct.  Different property.

This then is yet another tower for the immediate PIP area (Panther Island Pavilion)?.....awesome.

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

Zoning was approved for this block as well as the block to the left, behind Taco Bell. No other details were given on what is planned here though.

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:43 PM

Including the Pier 1 project, this immediate area is taking off.  Not a surprise though, the P.I.P is a great and fun spot; and the river front there offers lots of potential for residential living. 

Just speculating but it will not be a surprise if we are looking at Zone "H".

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

Hearing this will be sizable, 10-20 floors.

#28 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

...wait, what?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

Make that 17 floors. GFF will be the architect.

#30 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

And it's on that triangular-ish block? 

7fwPZnE.png

#31 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Possibly, same ownership also has block to the west all the way to the Taco Bell, so it could be on that side instead.

#32 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Impossible. Wood-only residential construction is where it is at in in Fort Worth!

#33 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

Make that 17 floors. GFF will be the architect.

And it's on that triangular-ish block? 

When this site was identified earlier, to me, it signaled something tall and different from any of the projects that have been built recently.  

This is beginning over time of the filling in and migrating of mid-rise and high rise buildings from Burnet Park to the shores of Clear Fork.

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

More details. The project will be going before the Downtown Design Review Board. Here are the variences being asked for,

REQUESTING A COA TO CONSTRUCT A 17-STORY APARTMENT BUILDING WITH WAIVERS FROM THE STREET GRID, SKYWALK, AND ARCHITECTUARAL EDGE STANDARDS AND A RECCOMMENDATION TO CITY PLAN COMMISSION AND CITY COUNCIL FOR WAIVERS FROM THE SUBDIVISION ORDINANCE AND THE VACATION OF LEXINGTON STREET

So with a vacation of Lexington and skybridges, I'll assume this will be a two building project, since there are two blocks owned by the company. Perhaps one block will host a tower, another will have a garage, perhaps more apartments. Could be like the recently built Monarch Near Southside where the buildings are connected via skywalks/skybridges.

A possible example is GFF's M-Line Tower in Dallas, which features both a 20 story tower section and a 6 floor wood framed residential section. 

#35 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

I will take 17 floors...  I would have liked to see something 20+.. maybe 25 but I won't get greedy.  Just make it happen GFF

#36 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:08 PM

Lots of growing activity on Henderson, and yet it still has no North/South bus service.

Rt 10 & 46 go E/W on Belknap/Weatherford, and Rt 2 of course goes E/W on W7th... Sure will be interesting to see what "T Master Plan, Round 2" from Nelson\Nygaard proposes for the city.

#37 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:43 PM

Impossible. Wood-only residential construction is where it is at in in Fort Worth!

a timber tower perhaps? It's happening in other places.
" a 21-story tower with 201 apartments, on a long-vacant site... The tower would be largely built of a man-made lumber product that is designed to be environmentally friendly and more attractive than steel or concrete"

https://urbanmilwauk...t-timber-tower/

#38 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

I'm a bit confused about the building's proposed height dimension.   Hannerhan (Post #20) stated back in January 2018 that the developer planned a 28-story tower.  Now it's down to 17 floors (?).  And it's in proximity with the proposed The Worth tower of roughly 30 floors (?).

I read most of the posts above but none explain why this particular project's building height as proposed was reduced from 28 to 17 floors.  That's a considerable reduction.  Is this another intervention by area stakeholders who do not like really tall buildings?  Other explanation?

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have an explanation to your comment, Johnfwd.  They may have done market studies and determined that the market would only support something like what they are proposing.  Projects get scaled back all of the time.  In my office, I experience that on a fairly regular basis.

#40 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

It's the Fort Worth Way: Propose something big, then scale it down or cancel it.

-Dylan

#41 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

If studies suggesting a diminution of market demand for a high-rise residential tower in downtown Fort Worth is the explanation for the scale back in height on this particular project, then The Worth project may also be in jeopardy.  And it doesn't look good for downtown, of course.

#42 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

To amplify on johnfwd's comment:  What was the timing for the initial data that encouraged a design and new data that scaled it back.  That seems like a bad trajectory.

Or is it customary to use weak data for initial work and only after some amount of funding locate actual data?

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

This has shown up on DFWI's website. Only one detail - It's listed as 310 units. 

https://www.dfwi.org...000-weatherford

#44 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:19 AM

To amplify on johnfwd's comment:  What was the timing for the initial data that encouraged a design and new data that scaled it back.  That seems like a bad trajectory.

Or is it customary to use weak data for initial work and only after some amount of funding locate actual data?

I am in the commercial real estate business and unfortunately we are at the end of the current Real Estate cycle, which has gone on longer than the average upward trends in RE, and interest rates are also on the rise.  These factors contribute greatly to the profit margins of large projects and the taller you go the more costly those margins become.  Many projects, especially Condo or Apt. towers are the first areas to be hit first, either by scaling down, postponing or canceling.  FW's already tough and stringent review process amplifies this trend because developers can't afford to take the risk when the RE market is uncertain.

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:43 AM

I will take 17 floors...  I would have liked to see something 20+.. maybe 25 but I won't get greedy.  Just make it happen GFF

Me too.

Since from the beginning the project was just a rumor without any specific details until now, it is unfair to criticize it by labeling it a "downsized" project.  There is an ample set of projects being built in Dallas that are in similar range as this project.  What makes this project exciting is that it is the first project to crush the ceiling of typical the 5-6 story box that has been so common and disappointing up until now.

Barring a hideous design, when the project is completed, it will be a day of great excitement for me.

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

Because of the location, I'm actually glad it's more than 10... 

7fwPZnE.png

#47 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

Because of the location, I'm actually glad it's more than 10... 

Thinking a bit more about this site for development:

Could it be that the irregular shape of the property reduced its appraised value?  If so, a lower appraised value that factored in to the cost of land allowed the developer to builder taller as those with expertise in project development tell us that going above 5 storys requires an increase in material (steel).

The possible trade-off: lower land cost leaves more funds to build taller?

#48 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:31 AM

I suspect developers are wrestling heavily with the astronomical labor and material costs right now as well as tighter standards by investor equity because most view this time as the top of the cycle.   Interest rates are not rising at the moment but have gone up.   Building tall is much more expensive than building 5-6 stories ( and 5-6 stories is more expensive than 3). 

So I dont think what you are seeing is a matter of Fort Worth project developers lacking ambition or imagination but rather the simple fact that it is just harder to make the numbers work on taller projects, especially in locations such as this one that are not in the obvious, best locations.

#49 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:48 AM

.... the simple fact that it is just harder to make the numbers work on taller projects, especially in locations such as this one that are not in the obvious, best locations.

What do you find about this location that makes it not the best location?

#50 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:29 PM

I think if Broadstone becomes even remotely successful then I think that will help kickstart more taller development in the area. This are is not really proven as a residential yet, but only time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users