209 replies to this topic

#101 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

I'm not seeing what you are seeing.  Maybe I am confused but it looks exactly the same except that the post #97 has the trees and plaza features rendered but other than that I don't see any difference to the site or the buildings at all.

Foremost, there has been a significant reduction in parking spaces.  Originally, the site plan looked like a grand piano surrounded by keys (parking slots).  The slots have been eliminated and replaced with new green space.  Also, it could be further improved if there was a cul-de-sac at the end of the street that would make a linear green space possible along the eastern side of the project.

#102 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:36 AM

I think the parking spaces still exist...you just can't see them well in the new renderings.

#103 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:39 AM

Okay. Interesting and deserving on my part to do a second look see. :mellow:

#104 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

Fort Capital withdrew a proposal after facing neighborhood opposition. There was some interesting complaint about lack of transit, sidewalks and traffic signals in the area. I'd previously complained about that as well. 

https://www.star-tel...e240242691.html

#105 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:32 AM

Fort Capital withdrew a proposal after facing neighborhood opposition. There was some interesting complaint about lack of transit in the area too. 

https://www.star-tel...e240242691.html

We can't see the article unless we're subscribers. What was the proposal, the retirement community?

#106 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:36 AM

It was a change to Urban Residential zoning from 303-321 on the east side of Athenia Lane. 

#107 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:33 PM

There is a building under construction just west of Lettuce Cook that has not been mentioned on here or anywhere else I have looked.  Was just wondering if anyone has any information on it.  It is right nextdoor to Living Waters Church.  It has an interesting look to it and feels to me like it may end up as a tasting room or something similar.  At it's current state it is truly hard to tell.

#108 Cliff

Cliff

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:36 PM

It is an offshoot of Glamour Paws.  It will dog daycare.

#109 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:56 PM

Has anyone been by Crystal Springs on White Settlement? Dirt is turning and the site has been cleared!

#110 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 11:29 PM

Has anyone been by Crystal Springs on White Settlement? Dirt is turning and the site has been cleared!

Yes, they appear to be getting started, although I don't know on which parts.  Keep hearing construction financing is tight right now so not sure if apartments or restaurants got the green light.  Makes me wonder - I'd assume they couldnt get more apartment development financed if the existing ones weren't doing at least pretty well. 

PS - you mentioned the Star Telegram paywall.  I held out and recently got a digital subscription - isn't expensive and IMO good for community FWIW.  

#111 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:03 AM

It's just the apartments that are underway.

#112 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

It is an offshoot of Glamour Paws.  It will dog daycare.

Thank for the clarification Cliff

#113 holla09

holla09

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

Does anyone know what the big development going in across from Heim is?  It's saying future restaurant and retail space and it's heavily underway. 

#114 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:54 AM

Just apartments.  A later phase is supposed to be restaurant/retail.

#115 holla09

holla09

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Hannerhan.  That's disappointing and it's looking like the river district may end up being a flop in terms of a place for entertainment. 

#116 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Hannerhan.  That's disappointing and it's looking like the river district may end up being a flop in terms of a place for entertainment. 

Well I think it may be too early to make that assumption but I can see why you would believe that.  This is supposed to be the game changing project.  All the other things currently in the area are ancillary business meant to support all the new residents to the area.   If in 3 years there isn't much going on then we can probably deem it a flop.

#117 technicolorfrog

technicolorfrog

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:29 AM

Just saw this in the River District newsletter this morning. Its not quite on the scale of what we mightve been thinking in terms of entertainment, but its a start. I like that its something different and theyre at least trying.

https://www.riverdis...our-studio-101/

#118 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

The Standard Coming along,

ySxd4Mv.jpg

#119 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:27 AM

Hotel Gemelle?

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

#120 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

Re-zone Gemelle to overcome noise ordinance ?
Loud outside music may be prohibited in that neighborhood
Just a guess

#121 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

Just a shot in the dark, but is there a possibility that "hospitality" is a broad enough zoning label that it doesn't necessarily mean hotel?  Like an event space not covered under their restaurant designation?  

#122 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

Yep, "shipping container cabins" on the river: Fort Worth chef Tim Love looks to enter hotel business

#123 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

How will this go over with the neighbors that were worried about Heim building a smoker?

#124 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:33 PM

How will this go over with the neighbors that were worried about Heim building a smoker?

City staff told commissioners the zoning department had received more than 40 letters either in opposition or just generally concerned about the project

So...

#125 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:55 PM

Bud Kennedy reported on Twitter that the Fireside Lodge retirement center, one of the largest tracts in the area, was bought by Castleberry ISD.

#126 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:28 PM

I also saw the tweet.

#127 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:30 PM

I neglected to remember that there was an article attached. 

https://www.star-tel...digest_business

#128 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Fashion

Posted 23 August 2020 - 12:00 AM

Yep, "shipping container cabins" on the river: Fort Worth chef Tim Love looks to enter hotel business

That actually sounds very interesting.  However, one thing does concern me with respect to the location: I have lived in the neighborhood just to the north of Gemelle, and dealt with issues pertaining to noise complaints at night, including people shooting off fireworks, and even worse, an occasional gunshot (a couple of which might have been confused with the former).  I don't think Isbell Road is a particularly-high crime area, there is some but it is definitely not SE FW or LVT/Calmont.  My family owns the car wash on Isbell so I do have a bit of an insider perspective here.

In the daytime, it does at least seem safe enough that I have oftentimes seen people out running by themselves, including women and high school kids from Castleberry.  To be honest, I don't think you would see that on an everyday basis if crime were a concern, so that feels like a proxy measure for neighborhood safety.  Things can be a bit different at night though.  Nobody attending that establishment will likely be driving or walking along Isbell Road, at least north of the levee adjacent to White Settlement Road, but noises from the adjacent neighborhood can easily bleed over.  I am hoping that this development will finally encourage the FWPD to crack down on the nighttime noise issues; in fact, I've complained on the non-emergency lines a few times.

Bud Kennedy reported on Twitter that the Fireside Lodge retirement center, one of the largest tracts in the area, was bought by Castleberry ISD.

I am wondering if an expansion or reconstruction of Castleberry High School will occur soon.  I knew there were some talks about re-building Castleberry HS completely, and the way Castleberry ISD dealt with building the new Castleberry Elementary in River Oaks involved keeping the old school (now the administration building) operating, while construction on the new school took place in an adjacent empty field (that was used for recess and other outdoor activities).  The Fireside Lodge property is large enough to fit an entirely-new high school building on it, including the existing cafeteria and gym at the corner of White Settlement Road and Churchill with a split-level design.  Irma Marsh Middle School was recently remodeled and expanded, meaning that Castleberry HS is now more dated than other Castleberry ISD schools (aside from the older sections of Joy James Elementary); I guess a similar remodel/expansion as that which took place at IMMS could occur at CHS, although an entirely new building would permit additional flexibility for more contemporary classroom designs and school layouts.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#129 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

The Fireside Lodge property is large enough to fit an entirely-new high school building on it, including the existing cafeteria and gym at the corner of White Settlement Road and Churchill with a split-level design.

You think so? It doesn't look anywhere near large enough.

My blog: Doohickie

#130 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 04:25 PM

The Fireside Lodge property is large enough to fit an entirely-new high school building on it, including the existing cafeteria and gym at the corner of White Settlement Road and Churchill with a split-level design.

You think so? It doesn't look anywhere near large enough.

The Fireside Lodge property is about as long as the existing high school, not including the cafeteria and gym at the corner of White Settlement and Churchill. Those small apartments west of the nursing home (I believe they were for assisted living or something) were also part of Fireside Lodge; I remember visiting someone that lived there about 10 years ago. The property extends almost to Priddy Lane, excluding the Ulterre Christie's building (and those in line with that property to the north).

A two- or three-story high school building could definitely fit on the property, especially if it incorporates the existing cafeteria building.  It would get a little closed-in at the west end of the property, though; they could always take out the school track and field (behind the existing high school) and build something extending in that direction if necessary, but this would have an adverse impact on school athletic programs.  Keep in mind that the Fireside property is actually wider (north-to-south) than the existing Castleberry High School is wide (east-to-west).  I think an entirely new school could be built there, although renovating the existing high school (along the lines of what happened at Irma Marsh Middle School) could also work.

Another use for the property could include a fourth elementary school.  I'm not sure if the demographics currently warrant it, but Castleberry ISD is accepting out-of-district transfer students these days, so in-district demographics might not provide the most complete picture (but if things got crowded, the CISD school board could definitely shut that down).  A fourth elementary in the River District could make that area more attractive to families with children, as the currently-assigned school for that area is AV Cato Elementary off of Isbell Road (which is definitely not as nice of an area as the River District currently is).

As things stand right now, Westworth Village is more attractive to families with children over the River District, especially considering that Burton Hill Elementary (FWISD) is the highest-performing elementary school in the area; Stripling Middle School (which Burton Hill feeds into) also outperforms Irma Marsh.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#131 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

The hotel zoning case was continued 60 days by council.

#132 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:20 AM

I took vacation this week.  Didn't travel, just riding around town on my bicycle.  Yesterday I rolled White Settlement Road from Monticello to Westworth Blvd.  As I came by the Elan apartments, there was a couple blocks there where it actually felt urban.  I think the streetscape would benefit from a Magnolia-style road diet from Monticello area to the Westworth Blvd. junction to make it a little easier on bikes and pedestrians.  As a cyclist you have to be on high alert through the area since cars typically ignore the 35 mph speed limit and come up on you pretty quick.

#133 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:12 PM

I wouldn't feel comfortable riding a bike through there without a rear view mirror.

#134 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:32 PM

I was invited to tour The Standard and it is an insanely nice apartment complex. The lobby is 2 stories tall and event the pool deck has a 2nd floor mezzanine. Finishes all seem very high end. Common areas could all be from a luxury hotel. 

oixoF1h.jpg

9EDXZmS.jpg

The buildings website does a better job than I do

https://www.standard...ct.com/gallery/

#135 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:19 PM

The interior looks very nice.

#136 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:01 PM

Hotel Otto (Tim Love's cabin's at Gemelle) is here

https://hotelottoftw.com/

#137 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:29 PM

That looks really cool.  It's pricey, but it would make for a nice staycation weekend.

#138 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 12:05 AM

21st Century cabin lodges with meals catered by Fort Worth's premier chef including a lazy river.  Light the campfires!

How astonishing this stretch of WSR has changed from the days that I once regularly traveled it many years ago.  It is a great testimonial for more infill development.

#139 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:23 PM

I wonder if the beginning of gentrification for the Isbell Road area could be underway soon. That would definitely be a concern for many residents of the area, who would see property tax and rent bills increase.

It would be interesting to see, although I worry about how it would affect current residents.

Sydney B. Claridge

#140 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:49 AM

I wonder if the beginning of gentrification for the Isbell Road area could be underway soon. That would definitely be a concern for many residents of the area, who would see property tax and rent bills increase.

It would be interesting to see, although I worry about how it would affect current residents.

Yes there is always 2 sides to the coin but as a resident of an up and coming neighborhood some things that are broken, unfortunately need to be fixed.  It is called change and although change is difficult it is necessary while also being inevitable.  Me and my partner are taking the lead for our neighborhood with other residents and business owners to promote smart and responsible change and informing the residents on how they can be a part and stay informed.

#141 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:36 PM

I drove by the area today and noticed the new retail structures at the corner of WS Road and Merritt.  They are pretty basic but can be great additions depending on what types of businesses/restaurants go in them.  I have a strange feeling that one of them is going to be a brewery.

They have some renderings on portfolio. Classy buildings.

https://fortcapitall...-street-retail/

Lazy Daisy coffee shop is opening up in the lighter brick building.  Good news for the area.

#142 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:10 PM

We are meeting with them on Thursday to do this new finish-out location. 

#143 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:06 PM

Big chunk of land along White Settlement for sale just East of the district.

14673527.jpg

https://sarahhardy.e...-76114/14660385

#144 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:43 PM

Big chunk of land along White Settlement for sale just East of the district.

14673527.jpg

https://sarahhardy.e...-76114/14660385

Apartments... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#145 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 09:39 PM

Screenshots from zoning hearin

CUc1oFz.png
jQd6R4Z.png

Here's more, I believe it's the same thing. https://www.star-tel...e239125913.html

The Zoning Commission approved Greystar's plan for a 197-unit luxury senior living complex called Overture along Scott Road.

I believe this is separate from Greystar's River District plans in this thread? http://www.fortworth...pic=5955&page=1

Here's a couple shots I took from the bike trail of the Overture Active Adult Living Project:

https://www.liveover...eriverdistrict/

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/RyzHXxFUt6d7MThu6

FXnQdwp.jpg

XqdaqyE.jpg

This was another big multifamily project with large parking structure on the west side of White Settlement Rd.  Not sure what this one is called?

jbuLK1b.jpg

#146 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 10:04 PM

The area is rapidly changing.  I have been over there a few times lately, but I have been on a time schedule.

#147 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 10:05 PM

^^This went before zoning in 2019. Heres the siteplan from that time.

Another apartment building, not many details except location and a siteplan. Seems to be Toll Brothers.

mkk5L63.png

#148 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:20 PM

I was in the district this weekend and got overhead views. 

Crystal Springs

rDT80u7.jpg

Overture
55hfJmo.jpg

#149 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,736 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:03 PM

Not over the site but did turn the camera that way.

RSAOSg2.jpg

#150 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 10:10 AM

Overture from the bike trail this week:

otS5SbM.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users