• Please log in to reply
1524 replies to this topic

#1401 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 22 January 2024 - 01:27 PM

Tributary Cafe on Race Street has closed.

The street continues to experience one step forward (Tropic Lady) and two steps back (Tributary and La Onda).

La Onda, which moved from Race to Hotel Revel off Magnolia and 8th, is closed again: https://www.instagra...3AzajQwa3B3am80

I went to the Race St. location several times and loved the food, although I felt it was a bit pricey, but I was truly confounded that they chose to move into Hotel Revel.  I have met the couple who owned it and I wonder if they are looking into a new location or calling it quits.  Hopefully it is the former.

Once listed among U.S.’s best new restaurants, a Fort Worth bistro closes for 2nd time By Bud Kennedy

#1402 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 10:55 PM

Megu French Japanese Cuisine is now open. Interesting location, but I do hope they are successful. Sounds delicious. Selfishly wish they were in the old Shinjuku spot, so they are closer to me. 

https://www.papercit...th-restaurants/

#1403 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:02 AM

Record UDC-2024-018: 
Urban Design Commission
Record Status: Pending

Work Location
2929 MORTON ST

Project Description:
West Side Pawn
Restaurant/Lounge
Existing building structure to be remodeled to include kitchen, bar, and seating. Additions to include second floor in existing building structure and approximate 2250sf building addition on the west side of the existing building where the current parking lot is located.

jadbKO0.png

tX3hsln.png

zxzTrOd.png

• TLA likes this

#1404 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:43 PM

Not 100% sure if lounge is private to the office space here or if it is a new bar / lounge going in?

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2024002132

PROJECT
Project Name: 911 Houston Street
Project Number: TABS2024002132
Facility Name: OXWITH Building
Location Address: 911 Houston Street
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 10/23/2023
Completion Date: 1/8/2024
Estimated Cost: $550,000
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: Remodel to include new lounge, restrooms, and offices.
Square Footage: 6,687 ft 2

Gx2152K.png

There's an application to serve alcohol on the 911 Houston Street door now.  The name on the application is "The Sterling Lounge."  Also, the front wall along Houston Street has been moved back - perhaps for a patio?  There is also quite a bit of construction activity a couple of doors down at the former Brass Tap Room.

#1405 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 06:53 AM

Not 100% sure if lounge is private to the office space here or if it is a new bar / lounge going in?

PROJECT
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.

Gx2152K.png

There's an application to serve alcohol on the 911 Houston Street door now.  The name on the application is "The Sterling Lounge."  Also, the front wall along Houston Street has been moved back - perhaps for a patio?  There is also quite a bit of construction activity a couple of doors down at the former Brass Tap Room.

I always wanted to like the Brass Tap but they never quite lived up to my expectations.

• TLA likes this
My blog: Doohickie

#1406 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 February 2024 - 08:42 AM

I believe the work at the old Brass Tap is the project to convert that space to a coffee shop with the rear access to General Worth Square.

#1407 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 09:39 AM

PROJECT
Fort Worth, TX 76102

Gx2152K.png

I always wanted to like the Brass Tap but they never quite lived up to my expectations.

The best Brass Tap is in a historic building in downtown Round Rock. The interior is beautiful and has a good sized patio. I’ve been to the downtown FW one only once, but it felt closer to the sterile suburban one I used to live by off 121 in Allen/McKinney. The 121 location… we showed up at 11am years ago for an Aggie football game. Only people in the bar, they couldn’t change the audio to the football game from Pop Top 40. Obviously I’m not still salty about it haha.

#1408 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 01:35 PM

I'm guessing Voodoo Brewing is nearing completion if they are at the sign permitting phase?

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

Project Description:
Voodoo Brewing Co.
New Signage
(2) New Illuminated CLsets, (1) New Illuminated Logo Cabinet and (1) Coming soon temporary banner.

#1409 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:16 PM

PDC filed for a proposed 13,155 SQFT restaurant at 9037 Tehama Ridge Parkway.  139 parking spaces.  Almost sounds like a Cracker Barrel.

HSqZxus.png

#1410 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 08:14 AM

13k sqft of restaurant space and approx 35k sqft of parking.... gotta love our land-use policies and the downstream impacts of our autocentric culture... :(

#1411 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 09:02 AM

My guess is this is either: Cracker Barrel (I don't see any RV parking), Babe's or Sweetie Pie Rib Eye's or something that feeds on a grand scale like that.

#1412 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:23 PM

https://www.wfaa.com...3b-4dcd54c67e35

KCpt212.png

Gr4LbQe.png

YIbqgg5.jpg

OZtzm5d.jpg

hkuz7xs.jpg

#1413 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 06:19 PM

Yucatan Taco Stand seems to be permanently closed.

#1414 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 06:22 PM

Yucatan Taco Stand seems to be permanently closed.

Wow.  What happened?  At one point in time, I really enjoyed going there.  That was maybe 5-10 years ago.  It would get so busy, you were lucky to find a table but I liked the food when it was order at the counter and they'd bring it out to you.  It was one of those places you could stay for 20 minutes or 3 hours.

#1415 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:59 PM

I know they changed ownership but at one point it was shut down by the health department. I used to like it when I first moved here about 13 years ago, but it definitely seemed dirty not long after and we stopped going a few years before it got totally shut down. I am sure that was a factor in the permanent closure.

#1416 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:49 PM

I know they changed ownership but at one point it was shut down by the health department. I used to like it when I first moved here about 13 years ago, but it definitely seemed dirty not long after and we stopped going a few years before it got totally shut down. I am sure that was a factor in the permanent closure.

Was it some kind of greasy spoon diner before Yucatan moved in?  I felt like I could always smell cigarette smoke from the walls or ceiling panels.

#1417 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:01 PM

I think it was Yucatán when I moved here so I am not sure what was there before.

#1418 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:05 PM

Google Streetview from 2007 shows a sign for BJ Keefers

#1419 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:27 PM

Google Streetview from 2007 shows a sign for BJ Keefers

You beat me to it...I found a Paul Bourgeois article in the archives citing it's change of ownership Aug 20, 2003 to Seval Halili. 

JNaPtic.png

#1420 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 10:25 AM

Hah, I was all of 6 months old when that newspaper ad came out.

I didn't grow up here, but I remember how all restaurants in the 1990s had that style of logo/typeface. Reminds me of Black Eyed Pea or Bennigan's.

Also there were a lot of those mid-priced fast casual sit-down Burger centric restaurants back then, but except for Chili's they seem to be going extinct. Like, there are only a handful of TGI Friday's left. Instead counter serve fast food got more expensive and more gentrified, like Chipotle or CAVA. This may be something that people who complain about inflation and fast food don't understand, the quality of what you can get has gone up. There was no national chain with seasoned lamb lemon curd feta wraps, or hawaiian style sashimi poke bowls, in the year 2000. It was just mediocre burgers.  At least that's my take.

#1421 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 11:13 AM

Hah, I was all of 6 months old when that newspaper ad came out.

I didn't grow up here, but I remember how all restaurants in the 1990s had that style of logo/typeface. Reminds me of Black Eyed Pea or Bennigan's.

Also there were a lot of those mid-priced fast casual sit-down Burger centric restaurants back then, but except for Chili's they seem to be going extinct. Like, there are only a handful of TGI Friday's left. Instead counter serve fast food got more expensive and more gentrified, like Chipotle or CAVA. This may be something that people who complain about inflation and fast food don't understand, the quality of what you can get has gone up. There was no national chain with seasoned lamb lemon curd feta wraps, or hawaiian style sashimi poke bowls, in the year 2000. It was just mediocre burgers.  At least that's my take.

And it seemed like restaurants tried harder back then to earn your business at it appears they had more gimmicks and promotions back when people actually picked up a newspaper.

#1422 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:34 PM

I remember when BJ Keefer's opened.  The burgers were pretty good and it was a place that I dined fairly frequently.

#1423 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:55 AM

Pearl Snap Kolaches has been closed for a week or two.  Per Facebook,

• February 3 they posted they would be closing early for a deep clean (which to me indicates health code violations but maybe not) but would be open the next day.
  • February 6 they posted, "We’re making a strategic decision to close temporarily for 3 weeks for rebranding, refreshing and reorganizing all things Pearl Snap! We look forward to serving you again in March! Thank you for your patience."
  • I believe they posted that they were short of staff, but if they did they've removed that post.
  • Since then they've been posting for interviews, including cooks and front of house staff.
  • Three weeks will be the end of the month; we'll see if they open in the next week or two.  I hope so.

RE Rebranding:  They started out as just kolaches, but have added other breakfast items and burgers at lunch time.  I'm not sure most people are aware of that so I kind of expect the rebranding to feature the fact that they are a full "cafe" now.

#1424 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:41 AM

• February 3 they posted they would be closing early for a deep clean (which to me indicates health code violations but maybe not) but would be open the next day.
  • February 6 they posted, "We’re making a strategic decision to close temporarily for 3 weeks for rebranding, refreshing and reorganizing all things Pearl Snap! We look forward to serving you again in March! Thank you for your patience."
  • I believe they posted that they were short of staff, but if they did they've removed that post.
  • Since then they've been posting for interviews, including cooks and front of house staff.
  • Three weeks will be the end of the month; we'll see if they open in the next week or two.  I hope so.

RE Rebranding:  They started out as just kolaches, but have added other breakfast items and burgers at lunch time.  I'm not sure most people are aware of that so I kind of expect the rebranding to feature the fact that they are a full "cafe" now.

I respect the fact that they're trying to keep prices reasonable, not to mention their menu looks amazing, but I see many places charging nearly double these prices for the same fare.  https://pskolaches.c...thern-classics/

They may need to raise prices in order to offset higher wages if they're looking to compete with what other places are paying staff. 

https://pskolaches.c...thern-classics/

#1425 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:12 AM

Yes.  Since it seems that employee shortages triggered this move, I tend to agree that wages, and therefore prices, will likely rise.  One of the reasons I liked the place was their reasonable prices, but if they have to raise them, that won't deter me.  The kolaches are top notch and the rest of the food is fine, and comparable to other restaurants around town.

#1426 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:39 AM

Panther City BBQ buys Bailey's downtown, https://www.star-tel...e285676897.html

#1427 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 08:42 AM

I don't think I've ever put yellow mustard on a brisket sandwich.  

#1428 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 08:52 AM

Some kind of new bar / restaurant at 2736 Stanley Ave.  I think there's some sort of drive-thru coffee shop there now.

vHe9iSJ.jpg

VdewM6k.png

d9Mmu24.png

#1429 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:29 AM

That's the current location of Carter's Coffee. Bills itself as Fort Worth's first craft coffee and breakfast sandwich drive-thru https://www.instagra...carterscoffeefw

#1430 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:35 AM

That's the current location of Carter's Coffee. Bills itself as Fort Worth's first craft coffee and breakfast sandwich drive-thru https://www.instagra...carterscoffeefw

Until I saw the sign painted on the fence, I thought for a second it was a machine shop.  Is this place pretty good?  Looks like they're either expanding or changing to something else.  Adding grease traps means probably fried food in my mind.

#1431 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:45 AM

Until I saw the sign painted on the fence, I thought for a second it was a machine shop.  Is this place pretty good?  Looks like they're either expanding or changing to something else.  Adding grease traps means probably fried food in my mind.

Project Description: "Proposed parking lot, building addition, alley pavement, grease trap"

#1432 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 10:26 AM

Some kind of new bar / restaurant at 2736 Stanley Ave.  I think there's some sort of drive-thru coffee shop there now.

vHe9iSJ.jpg

VdewM6k.png

d9Mmu24.png

Dang it.  I get coffee there.  Tip:  If you haven't had one of their egg-and-cheese breakfast sandwiches, you should try it before the coffee shop closes.  Their secret ingredient is a sriracha sauce; the sandwich is quite good.

Not sure if it's still the case, but a while ago Carter's Coffee, The Rusty Nickel, and The Vintage Rail event venue along Stanley were all owned by the same people.

• TLA likes this

#1433 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 11:13 AM

I don't think I've ever put yellow mustard on a brisket sandwich.  

The only sandwich I've ever had at Railhead is their bologna and they put bbq sauce and mustard on it.  I don't know if they do the same with their other sandwiches.  I turned my nose up at it at first and it's actually really good.

#1434 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:03 AM

Texas Monthly lists two from Fort Worth among Texas’ ‘Best New Restaurants’ BY BUD KENNEDY

#2. Le Margot

#4. 61 Osteria

I think this is good news for a couple of reasons -- of course first, that we have chefs opening these kinds of places for us to enjoy, but also I think that it is great that year-over-year Texas Monthly has paid attention to our city as a place for good restaurants.

#1435 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,682 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:17 PM

Feels like Fort Worth's fine dining scene has really exploded recently. Walloon's, Musume, Hudson House, Quince, Maiden, Don Artemio, Plank, The Fitzgerald, Caterina’s....

_________

Third St. Market and Bakery in The Carnegie is closing: https://fortworth.cu...arket-sundance/

• TLA likes this

#1436 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 04:25 PM

Not to mention the restaurant in Bowie house and Emilias in the Crescent. My wife and I ate there for our anniversary dinner a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

#1437 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 11:13 PM

Not to mention the restaurant in Bowie house and Emilias in the Crescent. My wife and I ate there for our anniversary dinner a couple of weeks ago and it was great.

And eventually Duro.

#1438 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:22 AM

Third St. Market and Bakery in The Carnegie is closing: https://fortworth.cu...arket-sundance/

New update from Bud Kennedy, they're staying open after all, but under new management. https://twitter.com/...882909164998962

#1439 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 10:41 PM

After a little over a year after opening, the Hoffbrau Steak & Grill in Grapevine has closed.  The article was posted in CultureMap Fort Worth.

#1440 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 10:51 PM

My one visit to that location was on a Friday night last summer and it was pretty busy.  I don't know how it didn't make it.  It was nestled amongst a row of chain restaurants that are always packed.

#1441 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,396 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 10:52 PM

I was surprised by the news, as well.

#1442 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:53 PM

Pearl Snap Kolaches SOFT REOPENING DATE:
We’re excited to share that we’ll be back in action beginning THIS Friday, 6am - 2pm (like usual) and 7-2 over the weekend. We can’t wait to see all those familiar faces come back through our doors!

#1443 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 27 February 2024 - 03:00 PM

Whatever happened to the Carriage House restaurant on Camp Bowie back in the late '60's / early '70's.  My girlfriend and I had a great dinner there back in the day.

#1444 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 27 February 2024 - 05:46 PM

Whatever happened to the Carriage House restaurant on Camp Bowie back in the late '60's / early '70's.  My girlfriend and I had a great dinner there back in the day.

It's no longer a restaurant and hasn't been for years.  It is a flooring store now.  The building looks close to the original and probably hasn't been painted or updated since it was the Carriage House.

#1445 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 06:30 PM

Ok.  I figured by now it's been gone a long time.  Thanks!

#1446 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 07:03 PM

Back in that time era there some very good restaurants. A couple of my favorite were Cross Keys and the Farmers Daughter. It seems like restaurants are similar to small businesses, the most successful are the ones with excellent management, staff and a great relationship with the customers. But once any segment of these areas are let down it can easily bring the establishment down as their reputation will soon suffer.

#1447 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:33 AM

That's true Papaw.  The other key factor for any restaurant is that they have to serve good tasty food.  This aspect seems to get lost on a number of them who don't stay around long.

The other restaurant that I liked was the House of Mole.

#1448 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:16 AM

Whatever happened to that place called "The Rig" on I-35 just south of I-20?  On Google Street View, the oil derrick, which was part of the place, is still standing.  I think it was a bar and steak restaurant, but I never visited the place when I'd come down to Fort Worth on a visit.  It seemed like it might have been a wild place, especially on a Saturday night.

#1449 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:22 AM

Whatever happened to that place called "The Rig" on I-35 just south of I-20?  On Google Street View, the oil derrick, which was part of the place, is still standing.  I think it was a bar and steak restaurant, but I never visited the place when I'd come down to Fort Worth on a visit.  It seemed like it might have been a wild place, especially on a Saturday night.

As recently as 2015, according to Google Maps, it was still doing business as The Rig.  Then it became MaKumba Night Club and Grill before the building was eventually razed.

#1450 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:34 AM

I believed it burned before it was demolished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users