18 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:10 PM

The front half of Lola's is for sale. The Trailer Park in the North half of the property is not included and under different ownership.

https://www.crexi.co...exas-2736-w-6th

3b4a624361714051a3d3438a8d64e691_1306x73

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 07:38 AM

First Fred's, now Lola's.  All the old stalwarts are succumbing to development.

My blog: Doohickie

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,733 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:51 PM

Lolas will relocate to the old Americado/The Moon space on Berry.

https://www.fwweekly...Prr5FLXhMqhNThk

#4 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 11:51 AM

Lolas will relocate to the old Americado/The Moon space on Berry.

https://www.fwweekly...Prr5FLXhMqhNThk

Man that is a real bummer, that location is so cool. Just as we were moving a stones throw in 2 weeks.

#5 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 12:25 PM

Quote from the FWweekly article
We dont really fit anymore, he said, mentioning that Lolas departure from West 7th follows similar trajectories for two other long-time, some would say hip or anti-clubby West 7th spots, Freds Texas Cafe and Magnolia Motor Lounge

Is Magnolia Motor Lounge closing or moving ?

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 03:25 PM

This will be a test.  Their new location is an absolute black hole of death.

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 03:49 PM

You feel like it wouldn't be... it's not exactly hidden and it's right down the street from a college... 

I don't get it.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#8 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 05:27 PM

Is the location to blame for the previous tenants' closures, or other factors? Americado was very poorly executed as discussed here and Berry Street Icehouse opened only a few months into the pandemic if I recall correctly, a difficult time for new restaurants regardless of location.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 05:37 PM

Access to the location isn't wonderful, especially when approaching from the west.

#10 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:00 PM

I wonder if that 2000 W Berry location is just too big to turn a reasonable profit? TAD lists it as over 7,000 SQFT.

https://www.tad.org/property/42793902/

May have been previously mentioned, coincidentally, Daynes Craft BBQ started there at 2000 W Berry as a pop-up too, is also facing an uncertain future after announcing moving from the trailer park location.

https://amp.star-tel...e260047435.html

#11 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:52 PM

Has that second floor always been there? I don't remember it having that when went to Berry Street Ice House for a party but then I've forgotten a lot of pre-covid things. The food and service was really good. (I enjoyed Rishel's food at Wishbone & Flynt the times I went forever ago, so that was no surprise.) I do remember being confused about where to park and it didn't seem like very many places for the size of venue. But from what I remember, the problem at the end of the day was in agreeing on a lease - so it makes me at least wonder about the property owner's role in the success and failure of the businesses there.

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 07:35 AM

You feel like it wouldn't be... it's not exactly hidden and it's right down the street from a college... 

I don't get it.

I think Lola's will do okay there.  Americado had a confusing service model which doomed them.  The Moon and Berry Street Ice House both were during the peak of the pandemic.  I think you can look at all the previous tenants and see that the location isn't what did them in.

Lola's is long established and know what they're doing.  I think they will do well in that location.

#13 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 07:37 AM

Has that second floor always been there?

Yes.

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 12:14 PM

When I said it's a test, I meant that, if something with a loyal following like Lola's can't make it there, I'm not sure anything can.

#15 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 12:30 PM

Is the location to blame for the previous tenants' closures, or other factors? Americado was very poorly executed as discussed here and Berry Street Icehouse opened only a few months into the pandemic if I recall correctly, a difficult time for new restaurants regardless of location.

You said it perfectly.  Americado died of self-inflicted wounds.  Moon & Berry Street were during the peak parts of the pandemic - incrediblly hard time to be operating a place that relies on strong volumes of people to gather (not to mention to source staff to come to in-person work).

Lola's strength has always been its music booking.  People who are in the know are used to traveling to where the shows are.  I'd bet Lola's depended least on walking-distance patrons of any bar in the W 7th corridor. 

Freds?  Guessing was a case of too many patrons were basically "convenience-oriented" people.  Those not accustomed to walking a block or two b/c are accustomed to suburban or semi-rural environments where they don't ever experience inconvenience when parking their cars.  The neighborhood evolved beyond that stage a few years ago.   Places that thrive in that neighborhood seem to rely on patrons who do not put convenient parking as their #1 or #2 topics.  20 years ago this would have been unthinkable here.  Still, some customer segments are more convenience oriented vs others.   

#16 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 12:57 PM

Freds?  Guessing was a case of too many patrons were basically "convenience-oriented" people.  Those not accustomed to walking a block or two b/c are accustomed to suburban or semi-rural environments where they don't ever experience inconvenience when parking their cars.  The neighborhood evolved beyond that stage a few years ago.   Places that thrive in that neighborhood seem to rely on patrons who do not put convenient parking as their #1 or #2 topics.  20 years ago this would have been unthinkable here.  Still, some customer segments are more convenience oriented vs others.

I know it's fun for some to blame our car culture for everything, but this has nothing to do with Fred's moving. The original owners of Fred's (JD & Gari Chandler) still own the building and have decided to sell. Simple as that.

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, car culture wasn't hurting Fred's on my last few visits, even before they announced their move.  That building sits on land that is worth a fortune and I wouldn't take their new location as a means of trying to satisfy the parking needs of their loyal crowd.  People that wanted to go there went.  I'm assuming their new location was a bargain and won't require a lot of modification.

#18 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, car culture wasn't hurting Fred's on my last few visits, even before they announced their move.  That building sits on land that is worth a fortune and I wouldn't take their new location as a means of trying to satisfy the parking needs of their loyal crowd.  People that wanted to go there went.  I'm assuming their new location was a bargain and won't require a lot of modification.

Fred's new location was probably a heck-of-a-deal but has sort of a dark past looming over it. 

https://www.mrt.com/...for-7523990.php

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,454 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 April 2022 - 02:48 PM

Yes, it has that dark past and I remember the robbery.  The interior looks the same as it did in 1989, or in the 1970s, when the Steak and Ale was built.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users