• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#51 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 27 September 2021 - 03:46 PM

There have been a number of articles about the future of the Forest Park Pool lately.  Tentative plans are to replace it with a splash pad and much smaller lap pool similar to the facility at Marine Creek Park after the 2022 season provided the planned bond election is successful.

https://www.fwweekly.../17/dirty-pool/

https://fortworthrep...assion-purpose/

One thing that got my attention in the Weekly article is the dreaded dirty words "parking requirements".  That seems to be one of the reasons for moving forward with a plan that doesn't have a lot of popularity with the community using the pool.

This sort of has me concerned with the safety of these splash pads:

https://www.nbcdfw.c...y-says/2752533/

#52 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 08:57 AM

Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge Bison Viewing Platform

Article: https://naturecenter...w-of-the-bison/

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2022007918

PROJECT
Project Name: FWNC&R Bison Viewing Platform
Project Number: TABS2022007918
Facility Name: FWNC&R Bison Viewing Platform
Location Address: 3901 Fossil Ridge Road
Fort Worth, TX 76135
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 2/7/2022
Completion Date: 7/1/2022
Estimated Cost: $441,000
Type of Work: New Construction
Type of Funds: This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work: Parking lot and ramp walkway that leads to elevated decks.
Square Footage: 1,800 ft 2
Are the private funds provided by the tenant? No
Current Status: Project Registered

OWNER
Owner Name: FWNC&R
Owner Address: 6901 Fossil Ridge Road
Fort Worth, Texas 76135

DESIGN FIRM
Not Assigned

Bison-Viewing-Platform-Rendering_2-Web.j

Bison-Viewing-Platform-Rendering_1-Prese

Bison-Viewing-Platform-Rendering_5-Web-1

FWNCR-Trail-Map-Bison-Viewing-Platform-W

Bison-Viewing-Platform-Rendering_4-Web-1

#53 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 06:04 PM

Regarding the initial posts about Forest Park Pool, it looks like the city went back and allocated more money to the project so it can be rebuilt in a full olympic sized configuration with a deep end.

https://fortworthrep...pic-sized-pool/

I think that's the right choice. It will be interesting to see what the design looks like, if it's strictly a 50 yard design or if they add a sloping entry. If not that I'd say they should put up one of those divider bridge things and rope off only part of it during normal use.

Hopefully this and that other pool they want to build in East Fort Worth happen. Not that I'd go visit them but as a kid growing up I loved going to the city pool in my hometown and think its unfortunate that FW closed many of theirs during the recession, apparently.

Looking at a map, it seems like they'd want to add one in far west or far south FW too.

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:13 PM

According to the articles that I have read, the pool will remain the same size that it is now.  The lap section of the pool is 50 meters, which is more than 50 yards.  I'm sure that the new design will include an accessible sloping entry.  Accessibility is required of all new construction, so it will be provided. 

#55 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:38 PM

Fort Worth Parks and Recreation still haven't figured out how to partner with the school districts to build year-round natatoriums.

#56 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:00 PM

Fort Worth Parks and Recreation still haven't figured out how to partner with the school districts to build year-round natatoriums.

Agreed. I never quite understood why municipal pools are deemed "too expensive" and how some urban parks and rec departments have a grudge against them. Yet at the same time, ISD's spend tens of millions on natatoriums. Which the general public typically can't use. How many kids actually participate in the programs? When I went to public school its not like we ever did swimming in regular PE.

At the end of the day both are paid for the same way, property taxes mostly. I think the general public deserves to get something from that.

Beyond just pools, let's pitch the idea that maybe cities or counties should pay for recreational, sports, and cultural venues that get shared among many users and then cut those things from school district budgets. That should be a neutral move, actually it should save money by merging things together.. School budgets and bond issues should be education forward.The school athletic and arts programs would make use of these shared facilities. For practical purposes there would be reserved locker room and on-site gym facilities as part of the lease. Consider the increased growth of charter and private schools. They'd be able to use these too. Private clubs could use them. AFAIK, that's how it works in other countries. I think in the UK the small town soccer (football) stadiums are usually publicly owned by a city or regional entity. The pools, they call them leisure centers over there I think. Then there's other stuff like performing arts centers, which would get a lot more use and generate revenue if they weren't school district owned.

#57 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 06:37 PM

Fort Worth buys 275 acres to create city's largest community park
The land is southeast of Lake Benbrook near the Rocky Creek Ranch subdivision. Development isnt expected until 2026 or later.

#58 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 06:49 PM

I saw that, it would have been helpful if they incorporated a map.

#59 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 07:06 PM

rock-creek-ranch-park-location-map.png

#60 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 07:10 PM

Ah yes the big star shaped tract of land. How could I miss it

#61 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:53 PM

The land is southeast of Lake Benbrook near the Rocky Creek Ranch subdivision. Development isnt expected until 2026 or later.

Thats exciting news. Thanks for sharing. Is this long-awaited or newly-revealed information? (will check out the article in a bit if it lets me see it)

#62 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 11:27 AM

Here's phase II of Chisholm Trail Community Park added to TDLR today.  (By the way, it's nice to see a Fort Worth-based landscape architect handling this project: O'Flinn Design Group )

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2022008427

https://www.fortwort...ty-Park-Phase-2

PROJECT
Project Name: Chisholm Trail Community Park - Phase 2
Project Number: TABS2022008427
Facility Name: Chisholm Trail Community Park - North Area
Location Address: 4936 McPherson Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76123
Start Date: 2/1/2022
Completion Date: 12/31/2022
Estimated Cost: $2,650,000
Type of Funds: This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work: Construction of new parking lot, playground, pavilion and associated trails.
Square Footage: 360,000 ft 2

OWNER
Owner Name: City of Fort Worth - Park & Recreation Dept.
Owner Address: 4200 South Freeway Suite 2200
Fort Worth, Texas 76115
Contact Name: Helen Florez

DESIGN FIRM
Design Firm Name: O'Flinn Design Group
Design Firm Address: ------------ Road Fort Worth, Texas 76116

ChisholmTrail_CommunityPark12.jpg
BHB is providing civil and electrical engineering and landscape design services for phase two of Chisholm Trail Community Park. Our team is working with the City of Fort Worth and O’Flinn Design Group to install park amenities on 10 acres of undeveloped land. The community park will include a new parking area, sidewalk, hike and bike trails, a picnic shelter, skate park, soccer fields, and a playground with separate elements for 2-5 and 5-12-year-olds. 

ChisholmTrail_CommunityPark11-e162946572
Civil engineering services include the addition of drainage lines around the playground and a water line connection for surrounding water fountains. Electrical engineers designed skate park lighting with the consideration of glare to nearby neighborhoods while providing safe illumination levels to meet IES standards and recommendations. To achieve this, light poles were placed in positions that provided multiple angles of light on skaters and park features to eliminate shadows.

DSCN2112.jpg
A unique landscape design includes a curb-less parking lot that will allow water and chemical runoff to flow directly into the landscape. Grass and roots will then help cleanse the water before making its way into the adjacent lake. This method eliminates the need for a curb and gutter, making it more environmentally conscious and overall cost-saving. Currently in planning phases, phase two is estimated to be completed in Spring of 2022.

#63 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 05:06 PM

City of FW:  Forest Park Pool design meeting set for March 10

https://www.fortwort...rk-Pool-Meeting

So the city is going to be accepting public input for the design of the new replacement Forest Park pool. A few months ago the city announced the new facility would follow a design laid out in the (rather dated) aquatics plan, a shallow 4-lane pool with a water playground attached. This proved unpopular, and the city council decided to increase the total amount of money available for the project to $11 million so that it could include a full olympic sized pool with a deep end. Now, in the coming weeks it will be possible to get some drawings.

FYI, all this contingent on the Parks proposition in the May 2022 bond election passing. Otherwise the pool at Forest Park could be doomed forever (again) because apparently it's plumbing is about to fail (again). Hopefully everything on that bond election passes IMO.

#64 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 06:15 PM

Might be bad timing to ask the public to approve spending on something most people will probably never use.

#65 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 February 2022 - 06:16 PM

It's part of a larger package for parks, though. Also the pool at Stop Six is included as well. I also think more people would use it than you think.

#66 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 02:46 PM

Speaking of spending money on things most people will never use (just kidding):

Meadowbrook Golf Course Master Plan Public Meeting

Next date: Monday, March 07, 2022 | 06:30 PM
The city’s Park & Recreation Department will conduct a project meeting to discuss the Concept Master Plan for the renovation of Meadowbrook Golf Course.
The proposed 2022 Bond Program includes funding for the renovation of Meadowbrook Golf Course.  Renovation plans to include all 18 holes and any infrastructure needs.
Please make plans to participate and hear about the improvements that are on the horizon.
Please note this meeting is be held at Handley Meadowbrook Community Center.

meadowbrook.master-plan.png?dimension=pa

#67 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 09:58 PM

So the city is going to be accepting public input for the design of the new replacement Forest Park pool. A few months ago the city announced the new facility would follow a design laid out in the (rather dated) aquatics plan, a shallow 4-lane pool with a water playground attached. This proved unpopular, and the city council decided to increase the total amount of money available for the project to $11 million so that it could include a full olympic sized pool with a deep end. Now, in the coming weeks it will be possible to get some drawings.

FYI, all this contingent on the Parks proposition in the May 2022 bond election passing. Otherwise the pool at Forest Park could be doomed forever (again) because apparently it's plumbing is about to fail (again). Hopefully everything on that bond election passes IMO.

I don't currently have a stake in what Fort Worth does or doesn't do, but that said...

The city should pull the plug on the Forest Park Pool and work with the FWISD to build a year-round natatorium in the near southside. There is still lots of open space between Magnolia and Downtown, for instance, and one of the major hospitals might be interested in buying into the project to get facilities for a rehab program or just as a fitness perk for employees and patients. Public swimming pools that are used only 3 months out of the year just don't seem like a very smart use of limited public funds...

#68 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 10:42 PM

Public swimming pools that are used only 3 months out of the year just don't seem like a very smart use of limited public funds...

My opinion is that it's the opposite, but then I am not an expert on this topic.

What I've seen is that seasonal outdoor pools have lower operating costs than indoor pools. Also how a facility is set up determines how much use it gets. A regulation sized lap pool gives you 8 or 10 lanes. An olympic pool could be roped off sideways or have one of those middle dividers could give you 20 lanes for about 30-40 people to enjoy at a time at full capacity. This isn't a lot. A more conventional pool that can double as a recreational or a competitive facility could have a couple hundred users at once, attract a more diverse mix of attendees, and be useful for more types of programming that could all bring in revenue and/or increase it's value to the community. There's a case to be made a facility should have, in addition to a satisfactory number of lanes and a deep end, also features like a zero depth entry, a corner area for youth swim lessons of various levels, a place for large crowds to just sort of linger, etc.

I think the gold standard are the "aquatic centers" that seem more common in the Southwest (Phoenix, Vegas, etc) and parts of the Midwest and Interior West.The obvious thing to do would be to hire whoever designs and runs these things and let them handle it.

Open Google Earth and look at smaller, less wealthy, landlocked, cold, small metros like Spokane or Des Moines and search for "public pool". Or around Oklahoma City for a more relatable comparison. You'd think Fort Worth could do better.

#69 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 11:35 AM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2022013873

PROJECT
Project Name: Fort Worth Nature Center
Project Number: TABS2022013873
Facility Name: Fort Worth Nature Center
Location Address: 9601 Fossil Ridge Road
Fort Worth, TX 76135
Start Date: 5/5/2022
Completion Date: 5/5/2023
Estimated Cost: $3,000,000
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration
Scope of Work: Installation of boardwalk, concrete parking lot, sidewalk improvements, and nature trail with re-vegetation.
Square Footage: 50,000 ft 2

OWNER
Owner Name: City of Fort Worth
Owner Address: 4200 South Freeway, Suite 2200
Fort Worth, Texas 76115

TENANT
Tenant Name: Rob Denkhaus of City of Fort Worth
Tenant Address: 9601 Fossil Ridge Road
Fort Worth, TX 76135

DESIGN FIRM
Design Firm Name: Kimley-Horn Associates
Design Firm Address: 801 Cherry Street, suite 1300, unit 11
Fort Worth, Texas 76102

#70 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 05:58 PM

https://www.wfaa.com...c2-e56ab1cd4ac5

Yesterday evening was the first public design meeting for the Forest Park Pool replacement and WFAA ran a story about it. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find the power point that was shown on the city's website, however I was able to take a screenshot from the news story:

Ntrsf49.jpg

#71 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 06:53 PM

Here's more in the Star-Telegram,
Fort Worth's Forest Park Pool will be Olympic-sized, but year round access out of reach

Two finalist designs on the city website, https://www.fortwort...lic-meeting.pdf

#72 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 12:40 PM

Here's some info on the bond and charter election this week.  A small portion of it is for Proposition E - the open spaces plan for acquiring natural area.  I heard Mayor Parker on KRLD saying as the fastest growing city, Fort Worth loses 50 acres per day to new development.

https://www.fortwort...nt/may-election

https://www.fortwort...budget/2022bond

https://www.fortwort...d-one-pager.pdf

Current Project Distribution by category
Streets & Pedestrian Mobility Infrastructure $369,218,300
Park & Recreation Improvements $123,955,500
Public Library Improvements $12,505,200
Police and Fire Safety Improvements $39,321,000
Open Space Conservation $15,000,000
Grand Total $560,000,000

#73 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 05:03 PM

Already early voted, and I voted yes on all the bond propositions. Here's to hoping they pass. I haven't lived here long enough to know what the track record for these things are.

#74 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:31 PM

When I voted this afternoon, I pointed out to the poll workers the clock on the ballot machine said 5:04 AM. I would hate for 50 votes cast to be thrown out on a technicality. Surprised they had been there since this morning and I was the first person to notice.

#75 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:40 PM

I wonder if that time stamp on the machine actually counts for anything. Maybe it would if this was a big Presidential election and it was close and someone wanted to recount or stir the pot, but otherwise it should be verifiable when you came in, presented your ID, and the poll worker then printed the sticker for the log book of who voted, and then gave you the pin to log on to the machine. I guess the faulty time could mean several things. Maybe the machine has an internal battery it needs for its clock to work and it went dead while in storage between elections. Maybe the clock syncs to a server and there wasn't one available. Being 8 or 9 hours behind isn't consistent with it showing GMT by default, instead it sounds like a time zone setting fail.

Otherwise I'm in the same mindset you are - I don't have a ton of faith in voting machines because there's always so little transparency and so much political nonsense surrounding where they come from and how they work and who maintains them. Instead voting machine technology should be 100% open source and basically laid out in a white paper published by the federal government that says how its supposed to work. Security doesn't come from obscurity, it comes from checks and balances and encryption.

#76 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 06:42 PM

So with all the bonds passing including the Parks and Open Space propositions, the stuff talked about in the posts above will happen.

I'm curious exactly where the city plans to buy open space.

#77 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 05:24 AM

Adding 22 acres just west of Chisholm Trail Parkway at Crowley Plover Road.
Fort Worth to expand future Rock Creek Ranch Park with $3 million land purchase

#78 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:05 PM

Playground Replacement at Overton Park

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023002319

Playground Replacement at Lake Como Park

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023002317

Playground Replacement at Daggett Park

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023002315

Playground Replacement at Candleridge Park

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023002314

Playground Replacement at CP Hadley

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023002310

Playground Replacement at Westcreek Park

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023002327

Playground Replacement at Southwest Park

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023002325

#79 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 06:11 PM

PROJECT
Fort Worth, TX 76135

OWNER
Fort Worth, Texas 76135

DESIGN FIRM
Not Assigned

Photo gallery: Bison viewing deck under way at Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge
https://fortworthrep...ter-and-refuge/

#80 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 06:25 PM

PROJECT
Fort Worth, TX 76135

OWNER
Fort Worth, Texas 76135

DESIGN FIRM
Not Assigned

Photo gallery: Bison viewing deck under way at Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge

Great find elpingüino. I wondered how that project was going. You know Ive driven by FW nature center on 199 hundreds of times and never once stopped in. Maybe this will be my excuse for checking it out.

#81 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 03:31 PM

FWR:

An improved Forest Park Pool is on the way

https://fortworthrep...-is-on-the-way/

#82 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 05:41 PM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023016712

PROJECT
Project Name: Forest Park Aquatic Center
Project Number: TABS2023016712
Facility Name: Forest Park Aquatic Center
Location Address: 2850 Park Place Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76110
Start Date: 6/1/2023
Completion Date: 5/31/2024
Estimated Cost: $11,500,000
Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration
Scope of Work: Replacement of an existing outdoor aquatic facility. Includes demolition, new 50M x 25Yd lap pool, leisure pool, water slide, a staff and restroom building, a pool mechanical building, replacement of parking lot, pool deck, and related site work.
Square Footage: 44,000 ft 2

OWNER
Owner Name:
City of Fort Worth
Owner Address:
401 West 13th Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
Owner Phone:

TENANT
Not Assigned

DESIGN FIRM
Design Firm Name:
Brinkley Sargent Wiginton Architects
Design Firm Address:
5000 Quorum Drive Suite 600
Dallas, Texas 75254

#83 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 05:48 PM

I feel like I already saw demolition happening. I use Park Place as a shortcut to get to work sometimes.

#84 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 05:54 PM

I feel like I already saw demolition happening. I use Park Place as a shortcut to get to work sometimes.

It has been a month or two since I last drove through the parking lot.  I seem to recall some construction fencing at the time.

#85 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:02 PM

It has been a month or two since I last drove through the parking lot.  I seem to recall some construction fencing at the time.

A buddy who works over near there confirmed they started tearing down the old one and have been working on it for about two weeks now.

#86 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:26 PM

They've been working on it since mid February and work stopped for a few weeks in March around spring break.  The pool itself and the pump house were demo'd and the rock was removed from the bath house before the break.  Since then, they torn the bathhouse and have made significant progress on filling in the hole where the pool was located.  I don't think there's a construction fence beyond the fence that was already around the site.

#87 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:05 PM

Construction update from tonight a few minutes ago:
wiBSZIH.jpg

VuTCqDX.jpg

#88 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 10:17 AM

PROJECT

Great find elpingüino. I wondered how that project was going. You know Ive driven by FW nature center on 199 hundreds of times and never once stopped in. Maybe this will be my excuse for checking it out.

Wanted to do a quick drive-thru last night at the FW Nature Center and set eyes on the Bison viewing deck, but didn't realize there was more involved to accessing this park.  The front entry was really unkempt I almost drove right by it thinking it was an abandoned driveway.  There's all these "not allowed" signs posted at the gate, just seems like this isn't really set-up for public access as much as it is its own separate attraction.  Can anyone who's visited confirm if this is worth the cover charge?  I have driven by here hundreds of times but this was the first time I decided to stop.  Also, there's some old lore about some crime having been committed back here years ago, does anyone recall the details.  This seems to also be consciously preventing us from visiting in the past, maybe some bad mojo back here?

9wIeT67.jpg

A0cEgtO.jpg

6Dy1pvO.jpg

#89 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 23 June 2023 - 12:21 PM

The Nature Center is definitely worth checking out.  It is definitely not meant for public access.  There are too many things having this open to the public at all hours that would be a detriment to the center itself.

#90 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 10:36 AM

A lot of construction fencing has gone up at the Forest Park pool in the last few days.  Looks like work will resume soon.

#91 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 02:26 PM

A lot of construction fencing has gone up at the Forest Park pool in the last few days.  Looks like work will resume soon.

The infamous construction fence. I went back over there after I thought I saw it a few months ago but you were right, it was just the regular fence. They must be really getting going now. Was hard to tell what was done/not done last time I looked.

#92 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 03:11 PM

Lots of snow fence went up in the surrounding area and some chain link panels went up around the parking lot and actual entrance to the pool.  It's the first activity since April or so.

#93 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 04:26 PM

Good to see they are making progress on that. The goal was to open it in Summer 2024.

2024 hopefully the city should also start a plan to determine sites for more pools around the metro area.

#94 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 10:35 PM

Good to see they are making progress on that. The goal was to open it in Summer 2024.

2024 hopefully the city should also start a plan to determine sites for more pools around the metro area.

Gateway Park seems like it would be a great spot for a city-owned water park.

#95 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 10:47 PM

I was thinking maybe somewhere west, like Z Boaz. It would have room and parking and is kind of underutilized currently. My reasoning is that most of the suburban cities bordering FW to the east and north have public aquatic facilites that non-residents can use for a fee. But there is absolutely nothing on the west side as far as public swimming pools go until you get to Weatherford which has one. The water park in White Settlement shouldn't count IMO, it doesn't have a pool with lanes that could be used for teaching lessons and fitness. There is not even a YMCA with a pool in the western part of the metro area, except Benbrook I guess. From Google Maps it looks like only a few of the subdivisions out that way have HOA pools/swim clubs, and the older suburbs like Western Hills wouldn't obviously have anything except for Ridglea which appears to be quite expensive.

I could also see maybe Chisolm Trail Park going far south. That is the new growth direction for the city. And again its close to older 1980s/1990s subdivisions that don't have HOA pools, and there's only one city pool in Burleson.

Realistically I'd expect the city to spend like 7-9 million each on maybe one or two aquatic facilities and for that price it would be like what was originally proposed to replace Forest Park that upset people and got changed, so not huge. I do think Dallas's newer city pools (they built a lot of them a few years ago, like at least 5 or 6) are a better design though. Look at the one in Oak Cliff, Kidd Springs Aquatic Center (google maps link), it has a similar footprint as the "enhanced neighborhood aquatic center" proposed previously for Forest Park but comes with a deep end with a diving board and has a more complete kids' water playground.

Not really feeling it on the city trying to build a full on water park. There are a ton of water parks in DFW, either private or city owned like NRH20. I don't think that's what Fort Worth needs.

First they just need to actually complete the Forest Park rebuild and build the thing at the Stop Six hub using the current bond money.

#96 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 07:56 AM

RPA is on the west side of the metro:
https://www.ridgleap...17c174062de.pdf

#97 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 09:12 AM

Assuming they want to open for Memorial Day, 11 months seems really optimistic.  I would be surprised if it opens earlier than 2025.

#98 steave

steave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 10:04 AM

RPA is on the west side of the metro:
https://www.ridgleap...17c174062de.pdf

I was thinking this might not fill the same need as a city owned public pool though. A city pool would be more family oriented and/or focused on lessons and programming that's affordable. RPA is more of a fitness club for people who are really serious about swimming.

Assuming they want to open for Memorial Day, 11 months seems really optimistic.  I would be surprised if it opens earlier than 2025.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see. On the other hand if all they are building is the pool and not all the associated buildings it might take less time than we think.

#99 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 10:10 AM

The bathhouse and equipment building were part of the demo.  They're building both.

#100 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 12:14 PM

Sorry, I still see building single-season swimming facilities as a waste of money with negligible long-term benefits for citizens. Why can't the city and school districts team up to build shared indoor facilities that could be used year-round by student teams and by citizens during school hours and after team times? School districts can build multi-million dollar football stadia and every high school has multiple gyms for basketball, each sport played by student athletes and a tiny (relatively speaking) percentage of the population involved in college and pro teams. Each involves the risk of serious acute and long term injuries that can seriously and negatively impact health. Swimming and water sports in general can be enjoyed the whole life and can contribute positive health benefits. What sort of agenda is being pushed by elected public bodies with budget discretion for the future health of the population?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users