15 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:02 PM

With rumors that a new city hall could be included in a coming bond election, I wondered what a new building or layout might look like.

My thought is to build a new city hall just South of the existing one, demolishing the Zipper building to make room. My idea with his particular proposal is to maintain the current city hall while the new one is construction, while requiring no new land and creating new public spaces and realigning existing roadways. 

LtKyMrE.png

1. New City Hall location

2. Civic Public gathering space

3. Existing city hall

4. Space for development

5. Realightnment of Texas St, dead ending into a T at Taylor

6. Conversion of a portion of Texas St into parkspace

7. Closure of Monroe to vehicles, functioning as a pedestrian mall.

Placing a new city hall would likely fit in with the grand structures along Lancaster, like the T&P buildings, Masonic Temple, and Post office. The public space in front could serve as a sort of mall, not dissimilar to Oklahoma City or Kansas City. The existing city hall, could be either preserved or torn down. A new building could be constructed on the site, likely a civic function such as courts, library, performing arts, museum, etc. An oppertunity for a terminated vista exists at the new end of Texas St. Monroe St, not going anywhere as is, could be closed to vehicle traffic and become pedestrian only, as well as stubs of Texas and 13th streets. Plenty of room exists for development on land to the west of the new mall, including an entire block an a partial block shared with the Lone Star Gas building.

Here's current conditions,  

rWE7DMr.png

And an after using a hodgepodge of cities from Google Earth,

4bA0eOJ.png

#2 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:27 PM

I wouldn't want Texas cut off at Taylor.  You may not be aware, but that is a *major* cycling route through that part of downtown.  A bike route parallel to Lancaster to get at least as far as Jennings and preferably with a connection to Houston is essential.

My blog: Doohickie

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:41 PM

I wouldn't want Texas cut off at Taylor.  You may not be aware, but that is a *major* cycling route through that part of downtown.  A bike route parallel to Lancaster to get at least as far as Jennings and preferably with a connection to Houston is essential.

I ride that way frequently. The plan I made was pretty quick and sloppy, but there would definitely still be accommodation for cyclists and pedestrian to Jennings and 12th would remain open to Houston. By this point, Hemphill-Lamar would also be open, so if cyclists using Texas to get to Near Southside coming from the West wanted to avoid the civic plaza, that would be an alternative (assuming it ever gets finished).

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:43 PM

I'm all for this. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

I JUST had a thought about that:

How about still having the mall, but sinking the section of Taylor that's being cut off to about, let's say 6 - 7ft. under (think a mini Klyde Warren with more "open" walkways on the deck so it isn't just a straight, dark tunnel the whole way though) and converting that section of Taylor into a bike-only road...? 

7fwPZnE.png

#6 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:04 AM

I'm still in favor of the T&P Warehouse.  Plenty of space for future growth.  Add a parking garage in back and you're ready to go.  Then sell the old city hall for future development.  

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

Maybe.  But the T&P Warehouse is such an imposing structure.  Even if it is remodeled I don't think it would be an attractive invitation (i.e. "user friendly") for public visits and business.  Just my thought here.  I believe a new modern City Hall needs to be built, perhaps along Lancaster, but definitely downtown.

#8 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

I'm still in favor of the T&P Warehouse.  Plenty of space for future growth.  Add a parking garage in back and you're ready to go.  Then sell the old city hall for future development.  

I'd rather T&P go the Montgomery Plaza route, only MUCH more retail than residential. That's what it seems to be more suitable for. 

7fwPZnE.png

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:23 PM

Really find a lot of good sense in this approach.

Why is the City needing more space when technology is replacing so much of what staff does as well as making communication between staff seamless? 

The City is dispersing its departments out to satellite field offices making them more a part of the fabric of the City instead of "Downtown". It think more of the City should be out in the precincts; and not concentrated under one roof.

Before the City takes the action of getting both the T&P Warehouse and the U.S. Post Office under its ownership.  IMO, a combination of both buildings could serve the needs of municipal government for decades.

#10 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:23 PM

Old Post Office Building

#11 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:34 PM

I'd rather T&P go the Montgomery Plaza route, only MUCH more retail than residential. That's what it seems to be more suitable for. 

I would too, but we are all going to die of old age before that ever gets done.

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

Seeing this is giving me ideas.

dc2b9117-0acf-4dfc-b8e7-de60d4e98bc0.jpg

I need to get new Sketch Up software.

7fwPZnE.png

#13 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:08 PM

This is at least the third thread dealing with a new city hall in Fort Worth, but for some reason I had never seen it before, that I consciously remember. However, Austin's initial post may have been in the back of my mind when I posted this in another City Hall topic about a year later:

"I say take out the Zipper Building and straighten out and extend/improve 13th St. so it provides a direct route from Henderson St. to Throckmorton St. at the Omni Hotel. Then take out the diagonal stretch of Texas Street; stub it off to the east at the existing City Hall.

Next, excavate down three floors the land from "new" 13th St. north to Old City Hall. Construct underground parking there. The 2/3 of that lot south of City Hall becomes the City Hall Plaza. South of that the remaining 1/3 of the lot gets a high rise "New City Hall", height depending on projected needs of city staff and functions needing a central city location. Decentralize other city functions to "urban villages" as necessary for obvious cost and service reasons. Install underground horizontal elevators between the two city hall structures as part of the parking structure design.

Sell Zipper Bldg., associated parking lot, and Lancaster Ave. frontage to a real developer with design restrictions to complement architecture in the area, with some incentive for more rather than fewer floors, and required parking garage at the north edge facing the new 13th Street that could be shared with city employees or city customers.

Clean all the clutter out of Old City Hall and restore to original open and airy design. Either move the unfortunately placed Light Sculptures along Lancaster Ave. or the oddly-placed "Working Man" sculpture in Burnett Park to City Hall Plaza or commission a new significant art piece to go there. If available ask donors to fund a re-acquisition of the Calder "Eagle" from wherever the heck it is now to come back as a centerpiece of the new plaza."

I still think this is the best option for the city to pursue. "Old" City Hall is a sunk cost, and "rehabilitation" or restoration to it's original designed state would be much more affordable than demolition and rebuilding. The big open unused roof could host a solar panel installation or be a green roof, or both. There have been several other worthy proposals floated on the Forum regarding alternate locations such as the presently decrepit T&P Warehouse, but I feel rehabilitation and reuse of that massive structure would be best left to private interests with experience in that area... too much of a risk for city "amateurs" to either "get it wrong" or start a money sink that would end up making Panther Island look like an "Uh-Oh". The Plaza is needed on that side of the Convention Center, 13th Street would provide the alternate route to Lancaster, The new commercial frontage facing Lancaster would allow for a significant facade to add to the other monumental buildings along that stretch, and the city could call the tune (or at least set the standard) on what it looks like. City Hall itself could be any sort of design, a glass tower, a complement or a contrast to the existing City Hall... Lots of opportunities there for design strategies. The high rise format and design elements incorporated into the new building could serve to set an example for developers on how property in the inner city should be best developed. The "City Hall Plaza" would be about half the size of Sundance Square, not a bad size for smaller events (Mayor's announcements, proclamations, art exhibits, etc), no need for another large open space downtown within a couple of blocks of the Water Gardens and Burnett Park, but instead a paved civic plaza midway between the two parks. Another aspect I had failed to grasp before is that this development would have Jennings Street running alongside; this street should be in prime consideration for a Southside access streetcar line once the powers that hold the purse-strings wake up to the need for this sort of transportation system for in-town Cowtown. Starting at Fort Worth Central Station the train could travel across 9th Street with a stop at the Convention Center front door to Hyde Park, cut south, stop in the park, cross 10th Street and Throckmorton at one crossing with integrated traffic signal control, and head south on Jennnings past City Hall, across Lancaster, and under the old tunnel and into the Southside. Jennings could take the streetcar al the way to Magnolia.

I was pleased to see that other minds that contribute here had "independently" come up with ideas similar to what I thought would work best to suit this need. One other thought: if there is still a possibility that a Smithsonian-affiliated museum could be located in the Cultural/Museum District (if Arlington drops that ball...) perhaps the Fort Worth Central Library/Repository could be part of the permanent collection of that facility... Lots of history documented there for a large geographic area from back in the day.

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:29 AM

I think this is all self explanatory... 

QWgVQcn.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#15 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

I think this is all self explanatory... 

QWgVQcn.jpg

Just coming back to this after what we know with the old Pier 1... 

Now what?

7fwPZnE.png

#16 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,727 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:02 PM

We still don't know where the Library will end up...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users