Posted 07 August 2022 - 10:03 AM

Fort Worth's very own Christo!

#2002 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 10:38 AM

More reporting on the 'special relationship' between our city manager and the Bass family. Interesting that none of our elected leaders care to comment.

https://fortworthrep...ct-of-interest/

#2003 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 12:25 PM

What the hell does this mean?

Cooke said the perception of a conflict is flawed.

“It assumes that everybody at City Hall is making decisions based on friendships and not the policies,” Cooke said. “There’s not a policy you’re going to find that says, ‘Hey, give better deals to the people that you hang out with.’"

Is he actually suggesting that this is only a problem because there are people that think the city has a policy that encourages decision making by officials based on their friendships?

#2004 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:(pronounced
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 19 September 2022 - 01:34 PM

The Golden Rule: He Who Holds the Gold Makes the Rules

#2005 Crestline

Crestline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 06:04 AM

More reporting on the 'special relationship' between our city manager and the Bass family. Interesting that none of our elected leaders care to comment.

https://fortworthrep...ct-of-interest/

Interesting article. On the one hand, it looks bad when the Bass family gifts the city manager free travel to Aspen, and his dismissal of the article's concern with an "aw shucks, I'm just socializing with friends" attitude isn't effective: we all know that socializing and receiving comped private jet seats are two different things. On the other hand, the article didn't identify any city manager decisions that might have been swayed in favor of the Bass family by such gifting. I'm sure the city manager makes dozens of significant decisions a month to justify his large compensation (from which he could certainly afford his own plane tickets!); many of these must be in writing and available for public inspection -- maybe the Fort Worth Report could get ahold of these decisions to search for and report on bias?

#2006 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:59 AM

questions of an inappropriate relationship with a decision maker and money holder... I'm an NOT saying anything inappropriate went on, but I do find it "amazing" that it was basically 3months from the time the Bass family and city went public with their "ask" for voter approval on a bond to pay for Dickies Arena.

Clearly a TON of development and architectural design work had taken place prior to it becoming public, not to even mention all the public money spend constructing trail drive and the "stock show parking" lots that all just so happen to be a great support for Dickies.

or prior to Cooke's tenure all the "downtown" (aka Bass) opposition to the 2010 streetcar proposal when suddenly 2/3 of the way through feasibility studies the city council pulled the plug

#2007 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:01 AM

In conflict of interest training at my workplace, they say to avoid not just a legitimate COI but also avoid even the appearance of a COI.  Fort Worth training on the subject (if there is any) apparently takes a different view.

My blog: Doohickie

#2008 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 12:25 PM

I feel like Sundance Square has really been stepping up their events lately.  I actually had a great time at Frida Fest, not to mention that there was a decent crowd visiting the Plaza on Saturday (10/1):

https://www.instagra.../p/CjMArUDAMDs/

I will say that I was lured away from Sundance Square after some of the post-COVID retail closures, mainly H&M and WHBM (yes, I do shop at women's stores because I have a feminine identity now), but the events are bringing me back to Sundance.  I would love to see more fashion retail return to Sundance Square, not so much the large national chains that were there before, but rather smaller businesses and local/regional chains.  These days Sundance feels more like an entertainment district; while I've explored the Plaza and attended events there, I ought to see what else is going on in downtown Fort Worth.

Nowdays, I do a lot of my clothes shopping at (or around) University Park Village, mainly for their WHBM store, or I'll go to North East Mall in Hurst (also for WHBM and some other stores), but I haven't visited Hulen Mall lately. While Fort Worth still has two H&M stores, one at Hulen Mall and the other at the Tanger Outlets north of Alliance, I don't really shop at fast-fashion stores anymore. I highly doubt I would buy anything from Forever 21, and would never buy from Shein (unless I had some sort of social media partnership as an influencer).  If I were to buy from any fast-fashion brand now I would likely purchase from Zara or H&M; Zara does tend to operate at a higher price-point than the other fast-fashion brands and likely has a better product (not to mention that Zara first perfected the fast-fashion cycle and business model), although H&M seems to be moving towards Zara's price points on some items.  Note that I don't buy online because I prefer to try on clothes in-store before deciding what to purchase, and generally prefer in-store experiences which provide opportunities to communicate with sales associates when I'm shopping alone; I don't want to deal with the hassle of shipping back items that don't fit.

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

Please note that my gender expression varies and I may be known by different names to different people; feel free to use they/them pronouns to refer to me.

#2009 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:54 PM

Have any of the vacant retail spaces have been filled with "Next Big Idea" entrants?

It was an interesting concept to fill spaces, but it seems to have failed. Guess it's time to try national retailers and entertainment options.

-Dylan

#2010 Crestline

Crestline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 06:49 AM

Still no update on the Next Big Idea page. I searched a bit and didn't find any relevant updates, but I did turn up two Reddit threads that gave me a chuckle for complaining about some of the same issues we complain about here. 

#2011 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:08 AM

Still no update on the Next Big Idea page. I searched a bit and didn't find any relevant updates, but I did turn up two Reddit threads that gave me a chuckle for complaining about some of the same issues we complain about here. 

Whatever Sundance Square's next big idea, it probably won't go over well with Richard Connor, publisher of Fort Worth Business Press. I seldom post a publication's editorial opinions here but this one is appropriate.  Connor has few good words to say about Sundance Square in this letter to the mayor.  

https://fortworthbus...e-bad-guys-win/

#2012 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 09:47 AM

I hate how things are going downtown.  I know everyone suffered during the pandemic, and downtown had it worse than most.  However, they are holding back their recovery by not playing well with others.  All over town the Bass Family generosity is on display.  I hope everyone can get back on the same page so we can put past problems behind us.  

#2013 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:27 AM

The Fort Worth Report has been laying waste to the corruption that surrounds the City Manager. Started a while back with Hotel Dryce and continues with junkets to Aspen with the Bass clan. The Aspen thing in particular would never have been known if not reported by the FWR. So much so that apparently now the Bass Clan refuses to issue statements to anyone by the FWST. I'm about ready to start contributing regularly to the FWR as the only actual investigative news source in the City.

https://fortworthrep...undance-square/

(I don't know perhaps there is another thread that is more on point for this- feel free to move it)

#2014 Crestline

Crestline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 October 2022 - 10:15 AM

(I don't know perhaps there is another thread that is more on point for this- feel free to move it)

We discussed this a bit upthread in September and so far as I know there isn't another relevant thread on the forum, so here is as good as anywhere else unless someone starts a dedicated thread over in the City Issues subforum. 

Wow, catching up on the Fort Worth Reports reporting this week: The City Council instructed the City Manager to recuse himself from Sundance decisions, and the Manager and the Bass family have contradictory positions about the purpose of the Aspen trip (personal versus official, respectively). Heady stuff!

#2015 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 November 2022 - 11:06 AM

Jambe Juice in the Mural Building at Sundance Square Plaza has closed.

#2016 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:01 PM

Wow, that Jamba Juice had been there since 2001.

#2017 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,512 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:10 PM

Unfortunately, not only are there limited places to eat in Downtown, now there are limited places to get a snack or a drink.

#2018 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 01:23 PM

Tenant for 2 decades bails.  Everything is fine.

#2019 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 07 November 2022 - 01:24 PM

The had to make way for the new Art Pop Up coming

#2020 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 04:04 PM

Didn't realize that Jamba Juice was there for that long. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2021 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:08 PM

Sure has been quiet lately concerning Reata.  I wonder if everyone has kissed and made up.

#2022 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 08 November 2022 - 11:49 AM

I'd hate to think of Sundance Square Plaza being like a ghost town.  What with all the business closings, will the Plaza still be a holiday attraction with a lighted tree, Santa, and lots of children?

#2023 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 12:50 PM

I'd hate to think of Sundance Square Plaza being like a ghost town.  What with all the business closings, will the Plaza still be a holiday attraction with a lighted tree, Santa, and lots of children?

I just spent my last weekend working at It's Sugar this past Saturday and Sundance was only a "ghost town" during the hottest parts of the summer. Other than that, there were still plenty of people out there...

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2024 TLA

TLA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:47 AM

Not to minimize the squeeze on retail in Sundance Square, but everytime I’ve visited since Spring 2021/since the Pandemic, it’s felt lively. I was at Flying Saucer Summer of 2021 to see my friend’s band play. At the height of concern it was packed outside and there seemed to be a stream endless people walking by.

I used to visit a client in one of the Bass towers and certainly the business crowd is not back to it’s pre-pandemic level. And of course the closing of things like Bird Cafe, Jamba, H&M are headwinds when it comes to liveliness. But even then, my parents live downtown and walk around the square everyday. It’s never really a ghost town even with the obvious headwinds, people crave gathering places even when there’s a pandemic and ineptitude hurting those spaces.

#2025 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,884 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 09:05 AM

For what it's worth, there's not mention at all, or at least that I could find, of the Christmas tree related events on Sundance Square's website.  The only mention I found through a Google search was a release from Visit FW and that was just in reference to the Parade of Lights.  Which is 5 days before Thanksgiving in deference to Sundance Square.

#2026 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 09 November 2022 - 11:12 AM

Well I think it's time to move the tree to General Worth Plaza and let's make DT's dependence on Sundance Square begin with the holidays.  If the Sundance Square leaders want to be Grinches then let's give them what they want.  

• TLA likes this

#2027 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts
  • Interests:(pronounced
    na-tix-o-pee)

Posted 09 November 2022 - 11:24 AM

How about move the tree down into the Water Gardens?  It could be a little winter wonderland if they did it right.

#2028 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:18 PM

65-foot Christmas tree arrives at Sundance Square Plaza The tree lighting will take place 5 p.m. Sunday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Construction Photographs, Sundance Square, Sundance Plaza, The Westbrook, Commerce Building, Jett Building, Land Title Block

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users