1416 replies to this topic

#101 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:14 AM

During a time in my much younger days, I recall going to make a purchase on behalf of wealthy family such as I was asked to do.  It was not like any of the Buddie's that I was so familiar with.  It was the Whole Foods of its day, only more hands on.

For my local neighborhood, we had a small mom and pop grocery with a deli, bread, candies, milk , meats and things.  He and his wife called all of the neighborhood kids by our names.  Those were the days.

#102 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

Saw that Cork and Pig closed. Too bad, it was a good place. Its going to be a sad few months probably with a bunch of closings. On the flip side, Bud Kennedy reports a Gaucho style all you can eat pizza place is opening where Bravo was on Hulen. Like a Brazilian steakhouse but with pizza. Very intriguing, especially since I moved to that area recently and this is 2 minutes from my house.

My wife has been to the one in Southlake a few times. She said it is really good even if it is on the pricey end for pizza.

https://www.delucca.com/  

I don't eat out at Pizza places, but I tried this one time in the design district a few months back.  It is awesome and the price point comes with an appetizer in addition to the pizza.  It was very good!!

#103 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:29 AM

Here's some good restaurant news.  Salsa Limon is reopening in Crockett Row, almost in the same location where their old diner building was relocated to the River District. The new location is on University Drive.  The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has the story, if you have access to it:

https://www.star-tel...e242830011.html

#104 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

It is said that "Hindsight is 20/20"; and I hope that this will not appear as a reprimand, but I have long had concerns about local diners expanding by number of locations. 

One can expand hours, maybe add some space, but to spread your business comes with a set of risks that I think is not fully appreciated. 

Fred's and Salsa Limon are returning to their root locations; and will be better off for it; and I have said the same of Heim's BBQ.

Don't spread yourself too thin; reduce your capital outlay and fixed costs.  If you have to raise prices, do so and or have discounted specials weekly.  But as an eatery, beware overexposure.

#105 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:44 PM

Salsa Limon is expanding further by moving back to University.  They aren't shutting down another location to go back there.   And University also wasn't their original location.

#106 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:39 PM

Salsa Limon's first location was in La Gran Plaza.

#107 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

Great news on Salsa Limon. This thing has been brutal on restaurants and their employees. We've tried to go out when we can to help support them.

#108 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:50 PM

I don't won't to be overly critical that is something I am prone to do as well as saying that I do understand the temptation of having multiple locations, but I will reiterate that this desire comes with risks.

What was it just a few weeks ago that Buttons Cafe announced that it would be relocating to Dallas, actually it had a site in Dallas and reportedly moved to Fort Worth because of a lease disagreement.  It has been in Fort Worth for twice as long as it was in Dallas and was to my reckoning doing a solid business.  The explanation given by Buttons for relocating to Dallas  is so that it can be "closer to customers living in Frisco".  How many customers are actually foregoing eating in Frisco, Plano, Allen etc.  to drive to Fort Worth; and is it really worth it to relocate just for those customers? Are his patrons largely from Collin County? Is this really about another lease negotiation situation -  that I have no way of knowing.

My guess is that Fort Worth diners are not going to drive to North Dallas just for their food so he will lose what he may or may not gain in Dallas.  What this does is to open up new opportunity for a similar diner to take its place in Fort Worth.

#109 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:06 PM

Good news - tourism and hospitality appears to be soldiering on

Fort Worth Magazine -

https://fwtx.com/bus...lebrate-grand-o

/https://fwtx.com/culture/tulips/

#110 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

This week Jesus Garcia, the original owner of Oni Ramen, has opened Kintaro, a delivery and takeout restaurant on Camp Bowie. https://fortworth.cu...-kintaro-sushi/

#111 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

Roy Pope Grocery announced that they are going out of business.

I've heard rumblings but this is the first I've seen in print that Roy Pope may be coming back. Im curious what the details will entail:

https://www.star-tel...e242502871.html

a little more info on the re-opening of Roy Pope under new owenership....

https://www.star-tel...e243051561.html

#112 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

Looks like the Burroughs Kitchen which never actually opened is not going to open up after all.  I saw a for lease sign on the building

#113 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

Dont remember the details on Burroughs but it was dead before COVID even.

#114 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:14 AM

not sure if this reeeeealy qualifies for this thread, but it seems it's time to say goodbye to a Texas institution, Luby's

https://www.bizjourn...s-for-sale.html

#115 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:50 AM

There are a few Luby's left in Fort Worth.  Mainly, they are a Texas chain of cafeterias.

#116 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:12 AM

I think there are 3 or 4 left: Hulen, Beach, Bridgewood, and one in Forest Hill.  Pre-quarentine, I would usually go for lunch with a coworker every couple of weeks to the Bridgewood location.  The chain has seen better days, but the quality at that location was still top notch.

#117 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:49 AM

More a coming than a going, but Mama's is opening a new location in Hudson Oaks...

https://www.star-tel...e243246946.html

#118 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:56 PM

Seen on Nextdoor:

I was going down Hulen Street this afternoon and saw a sign at the Dixie House Cafe, saying it is now open. Further down on Hulen, at the Luby's Cafeteria the sign in front says it will open this Friday at 7 am.

The post is a few days old so I assume it refers to this past Friday.

My blog: Doohickie

#119 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:33 PM

The pandemic portion of this thread has not turned out as tragic as I thought it would.  Perhaps a bit of good news for the moment...

#120 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:21 AM

We talk a lot about the restaurants that closed during the pandemic but restaurants are still opening too.

Big Boyz BBQ on the East Side
https://fortworth.cu...pit-smoked-bbq/

Del Campo Empanadas near Alliance
https://fwtx.com/eat...pening-on-wedn/

Rufus Bar and Grill in Cityview, selling Billy Oaks meats
https://amp.star-tel...e243319621.html

Summer Moon Coffee second location, West Seventh
https://fwtx.com/eat...econd-location/

A new Braum's in Benbrook
https://twitter.com/...275116615704577

#121 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:25 PM

There are a few others of note that should be opening or have had soft openings.

Recently Opened:

Tinies Mexican Rotisserie - South Main

Race Street Coffee - River East

Coming Soon:

Second City Brewing Company - Mule Alley (work is moving along on this and I cannot wait for the patio)

Neutral Ground Brewing Company - River East (currently under construction)

Cancelled:

Clarkson's Market and Cafe - River East / Union Apartments Ground Floor Retail (had a coming soon sign before Covid and now that sign has been removed

#122 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:19 PM

Ive also now heard that two of City Places restaurants are unlikely to Reopen, Chop House Burger and Wild Salsa.

#123 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 04:39 PM

Ive also now heard that two of City Places restaurants are unlikely to Reopen, Chop House Burger and Wild Salsa.

Many of the downtown restaurants have been hit really hard.  With no office workers you have no business.  Weekends and Evenings are already tough for downtown restaurants

#124 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 04:57 PM

Also, while I hear the nightly protests are largely peaceful, I would imagine many people think twice before coming downtown for a night out.  I know I do here in Austin (and I live downtown).  They can't be helpful for the restaurants trying to hold on.

#125 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

I do not believe it is the unrest; it is the lack of an clinical answer to the Corvid-19 virus.  There is a lot of encouragement coming from the Government in Austin that things are not bad in Texas but that is not how the public is feeling, at least 60% or more.

Now, after China had declared that the City of Wuhan was Corvid-19 clear, China's capital city, Beijing (20 million inhabitants) is now reeling from a new unrelated outbreak in a major city. 

Corvid-19 is not corralled. The remedy is to maintain, not lessen, the practice of covering your face and adhering to social distances.

The South Korea Model where there is nearly 100% compliance with face covering and social distances has kept the virus in check will bring similar results to the U.S.

#126 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

Lanny Lancarte has opened Eat Fajitas, a delivery/takeout restaurant on West Seventh. https://www.google.c...?outputType=amp

#127 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

I do not believe it is the unrest; it is the lack of an clinical answer to the Corvid-19 virus.

I agree somewhat with the latter.  But I respectfully disagree with the former.  Talking to my Fort Worth family and friends, admittedly they are white and affluent, they are put off by the ongoing protests downtown and feel being in the vicinity is risky to them and their families and friends.  With the dearth of out of town visitors, and the hesitance of locals to patronize downtown businesses out of fear for their safety (both health and political threats), I think the near term outlook for downtown businesses is bleak.  Breaks my heart.  BTW, same for downtown Austin.  If someone has different information, please speak up.  I hate that, based on what I'm hearing, this is happening.  Would be glad to be proved misinformed.

#128 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

I think that you will be proven misinformed.

The general consensus is that the scale of civil unrest in Tarrant County has been low in comparison with other communities its size.

As everyone knows the ramifications of Corvid-19  was well underway months before the onset of protest.  Unfortunately, too many people are in some stage of denial for whatever reason.

#129 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:09 PM

If downtown restaurants are suffering due to the pandemic, they are unique. Every restaurant I have been to elsewhere has been as busy as capacity allows.

#130 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

"As busy as capacity allows" is likely not enough to survive in the long run.  Putting in an adaptive model until the virus is virtually inconsequential is a better strategy.

You seem to imply that the pandemic, which shut down offices and kept the downtown workforce at home, was benign and so some other uniquely thing is causing the deconstruction of the restaurant sector other than the pandemic. 

I actually see a harming causal relationship between Corvid-19 and the leisure food sector.

#131 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:52 PM

This is the only way I can get a specific enough link to this ST image (it has FREE in the URL).

I can see how this would inhibit diners.

(image is from June 12th)

https://www.star-tel...protest 002.jpg

#132 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:40 PM

"As busy as capacity allows" is likely not enough to survive in the long run.

The saving grace could be takeout and delivery.

#133 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:36 PM

I have avoided downtown and the West 7th area last Friday night for dinner for the reason I don't want to be confronted by people coming into the restaurants to make a point.  A point I agree with, but not while I'm spending my hard earned money.  

#134 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:47 PM

There are two points that I see are at play:

1. The position that a person has unalienable rights to do whatever they want

2. A person may be directly causing the deaths of another person as well as delaying the eventual recovery of the way things were before.

I believe that the second point is the more principled of the two.

#135 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:03 PM

Your second point is comparable the trope that you can't run into a crowded theater and yell "FIRE!"  You have personal freedoms, but only up to the point where they impinge on the freedoms of others.  With great freedom comes great responsibility.

In each country and state that the virus has been brought under control, mask wearing has been a key part of the strategy.  I get that Abbott is loathe to command it but he needs to express it more strongly.

#136 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:58 PM

On Friday, Salsa Limon opens on University Dr., its fifth location. https://fortworth.cu..._medium=dlvr.it

#137 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

If downtown restaurants are suffering due to the pandemic, they are unique. Every restaurant I have been to elsewhere has been as busy as capacity allows.

They are suffering because there are no downtown workers and not enough crowds on the weekends... throw in lack of convention visitors and very few downtown residents to support that many restaurants and you have all the ingredients that would make any restaurant struggle.

#138 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:18 AM

They are suffering because there are no downtown workers and not enough crowds on the weekends... throw in lack of convention visitors and very few downtown residents to support that many restaurants and you have all the ingredients that would make any restaurant struggle.

All the more reason, IMHO downtown's primary focus should be on commercial office space with the second focus being creating housing for workers and families, then we can focus on tourism.

By encouraging a more permanent population you can decrease uncertainty for support businesses (retail, restaurants, etc) with the added BONUS, by creating a vibrant and inviting place to leave you actually in turn create a place folks want to visit and can also act to attract MORE conventions etc...

but what do I know, I'm just some bloke with an internet connection and a keyboard  :laugh:  

#139 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:33 PM

I'm curious what will rebound fastest, offices or hotels.

#140 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:20 PM

Offices 

#141 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:40 PM

Offices 

I'm guessing " not offices" or at least not in the dominance that they previously held.  Seattle is swimming in a glut of office space.

I'm nothing but a casual observer, but it can hardly go unnoticed of all the banners draped on office buildings indicating a desperate need for tenants.  Zoom and other technology is lessening the need to cluster in office buildings with recent polls showing that 35% of workers now prefer a commute/work from home combo. 

Whereas Austin, Texas is churning out hotels and convention related projects with housing and food related projects gearing up for a post pandemic world.

#142 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:04 AM

The Deep Ellum Brewery Taproom in Fort Worth has closed.

#143 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

Saw it... didn't seem like that many people were upset about it, though.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#144 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:35 PM

Saw it... didn't seem like that many people were upset about it, though.

You may recall they were critical of the City of Fort Worth for making them paint over a "mural" that was basically just a sign saying Deep Ellum on the side of the building.  They called out the city pretty bad and the backlash was intense.  I think they got off on the wrong foot.  I wanted to check them out but never got around to it.  I don't feel any great sense of loss.

#145 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:42 PM

Actually, with such a strong domestic distillery and brewing sub-culture, it was a stretch that an import brewing outlet would find a niche following when there are plenty of Fort Worth-based pubs to choose among.

I was a bit taken aback when DEB was granted "unofficial brewery of FWSY" by Majestic Realty. 

#146 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:48 PM

What's this? More corporate "down home cooking" moving West :unsure:

But there is a catch: The diner is named in honor of owner's mother, Ellen Groves Corlee of Fort Worth, sorta like a homecoming. 

https://fortworthbus...near-southside/

#147 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

The Brass Tap- downtown. Gone.

#148 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

It is probably too much for this idea to be taken realistically,  but might it had been a survival strategy to go into hibernating mode until all of this passes.

#149 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

The Brass Tap- downtown. Gone.

I never much liked that place.  Awful vibe, expensive beer, marginal service.  Never liked it.

#150 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

Now open - Comfort food dining in the FWSY.

Fort Worth Business Press - https://fortworthbus...-in-mule-alley/

And of course, the very best of luck to you during these times.

Also, add a new farmer's market to the Fort Worth/Saginaw Area.

Fort Worth Culture Map Online - https://fortworth.cu...ampaign=website

Hmm- right in time for some delicious Parker County Peaches :cheez:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users